PDA

View Full Version : How much money does WCC allow to be paid to Men's and Women's Basketball players?

Bogozags
04-17-2017, 04:54 AM
Just read an article in USA Today about the retired Purdue AD saying athletes are getting to many benefits and that even their Athletic Boosters feel the same way...

How much cash do our Men's/Women's Bball players receive each year?

MileHigh
04-18-2017, 04:16 AM
Just read an article in USA Today about the retired Purdue AD saying athletes are getting to many benefits and that even their Athletic Boosters feel the same way...

Gonzaga mens team players get about 500 bucks per month. That is in addition to housing, tuition, fees, books.

In addition to the "cost of attendance" stipend, players can also apply for Pell grants that average around 5k per year and are need based. There are some scholarship athletes at major universities that are getting about 10k per year cash (COA Stipend + Pell Grant), on top of their scholarships.

It goes without saying, D1 athletes at top schools are well taken care of.

willandi
04-18-2017, 05:54 AM

Gonzaga mens team players get about 500 bucks per month. That is in addition to housing, tuition, fees, books.

In addition to the "cost of attendance" stipend, players can also apply for Pell grants that average around 5k per year and are need based. There are some scholarship athletes at major universities that are getting about 10k per year cash (COA Stipend + Pell Grant), on top of their scholarships.

The Men's team has certainly made GU a bundle of money. I wonder what the Woman's team gets for BB?

I have had a few of my cousin's kids play for the Zags in different sports, woman's soccer and men's baseball are the 2 I am sure about. Their schollies were for 1/2. I don't know if that was half the COA, half the tuition or what. The soccer was out-ostate (New Mexico) so parents travel was also a big cost. The baseball was from the Vancouver, WA area, so just a days drive to see the kids.

Hoopaholic
04-18-2017, 06:38 AM

meals during season? off season?
medical care during season? Off season?

TexasZagFan
04-18-2017, 06:46 AM
Gonzaga mens team players get about 500 bucks per month.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/54859047.jpg

MontanaCoyote
04-18-2017, 08:12 AM

Seems fair to me. Their work and commitment bring in a lot of bucks that benefit much more than athletics, yet they aren't
employees. Northwestern University football players argued that they were employees and had the right to unionize.
The courts said different. Seems that what Gonzaga does is just about right as long as no one isn't shortchanged and the overall system is balanced and fair.

Hoopaholic
04-18-2017, 08:30 AM
would be an interesting in depth review to see what total dollar allocations players receive then divide by hours put in for the university

my guess is it would be high when you start to evaluate scholarships, stipends, meals, transportation costs, coaching salary, facility overhead etc.....but it would be interesting IMO

Zagceo
04-18-2017, 01:22 PM
would be an interesting in depth review to see what total dollar allocations players receive then divide by hours put in for the university

my guess is it would be high when you start to evaluate scholarships, stipends, meals, transportation costs, coaching salary, facility overhead etc.....but it would be interesting IMO

Tuition + Room + Board + Fees = $66,152 for 1 year @ Pepperdine for starters.....

ProVeeZag
04-18-2017, 10:49 PM
Tuition + Room + Board + Fees = $66,152 for 1 year @ Pepperdine for starters.....

And it's tax-free...no 1099's or W-2's.

Ezag
04-19-2017, 08:15 AM
This is from 2014 but gives another perspective on Revenue and cost for student athletes.

"NerdWallet, a personal finance website, recently calculated that the average value of a male basketball player at a top 25 school is $487,617. Duke freshman Jahlil Okafor alone is worth $2.6 million."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/11/ncaa-revenue-2014_n_6851286.html

CDC84
04-19-2017, 10:54 AM
The issue is this: student-athletes are no longer able to work. It used to be that back in the 1960's if you played at Arkansas you could spend the summer working in Alaska or something. The kids these days take their largest course loads during the summer. They also have skill development and workouts, both on their own and with staff. There's no "summer vacation." It's become a year round deal.

This is just something to keep in mind if a kid commits to LMU from the poorest area of the Bronx.

I will tell you that team meals at the trainer table at Gonzaga look awfully good during the season. The guys are well fed to compete!

Bogozags
04-25-2017, 06:23 AM
Now sure my question was written well...so...

UOP gives its men'/women's basketball and women's volleyball players an additional $2000 per play per academic year.

WSU gives each athlete on a full scholarship $3542 per academic year and UDub gives $2679 to each athlete on a full scholarship each academic year.

Do other WCC schools give out "Cost of Attendence" stipends to its full scholarship athletes as well?

What is the WCC breakdown by school?

I am curious to see the difference and if it may effect recruiting...

tinfoilzag
04-25-2017, 11:44 AM
This is from 2014 but gives another perspective on Revenue and cost for student athletes.

"NerdWallet, a personal finance website, recently calculated that the average value of a male basketball player at a top 25 school is $487,617. Duke freshman Jahlil Okafor alone is worth $2.6 million."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/11/ncaa-revenue-2014_n_6851286.html

Take these numbers with a deer lick size block of salt. Cost, worth, and value are different things.

What something costs does not equal what it is worth is most cases. The cost of college tuition and other college associated items like books are extremely inflated. If there was some correlation between money spent on education and salary or market value you might be able to say what someones education was "worth" but there is none. It is easily possible to spend $100k a year on your education and never make more than a plumber that spent less than $5k on education. For all those that say "you can't put a price on a good education" i agree; quit trying to do it.

Smart kids go to college, college does not make kids smart.