PDA

View Full Version : PK80 Thread

kitzbuel
04-16-2017, 01:32 PM
Nike could not have a better situation than getting three of four Final Four teams to turn right around and play in their PK80 tournament next season.

How fun would it be if UNC, Oregon and GU get put in the same bracket?

I'll be watching for the bracket announcement closely.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

MickMick
04-16-2017, 03:09 PM
Six of the elite eight teams. Three of the final Four Teams. Both of the title game teams. Only South Carolina and Kansas are missing of the elite eight group. Additionally, GU plays Villanova in MSG in an unrelated event.

Nine of the teams in the PK80 field qualified for the NCAA tournament.

Waiting for a SMC fan to chime in that their OOC is "nearly as good, possibly better".

DixieZag
04-16-2017, 03:37 PM
I hope we play well. Once again, we'll likely have more line-up turnaround than we'd otherwise have liked.

Of course, Few has always done a good job of having the team playing super well early in the year (and now, late in the year).

Radbooks
04-16-2017, 04:03 PM
I'm really looking forward to this! I haven't ever gotten to see a game in the Kennel... I've seen a couple of games in the Arena years ago. But, with family in Portland to stay with, we're going to this! I'm just waiting for the brackets and more ticket info. :)

gonzagafan62
04-16-2017, 04:50 PM
It's going to be hard to even win one game. For pageantry purposes it seems good but we really need acwun against a good team there

zag67
04-16-2017, 04:55 PM
We will be young and will be not as solid offensively as most of us would like (assuming NWG does not return and Edwards decides to move on (which I hope does not happen)). But I think that our defense is going to be better than many are planning. First we have Perkins, Melson, JW3, and Tillie returning. All of these were really great on switching defenses and help defense. Then we also have RUI, Jones, and Norvelle that have played with these players all year. This is giving us a very solid group of defense minded players. Then we have Wade, Larsen and Kispert are going to be a great set of players to integrate into this team. So I believe even with no more moves (which I think there will be some) we are in very good shape for next year.

CDC84
04-16-2017, 05:38 PM
Gonzaga vs. North Carolina. Round II. Made for TV.

As we know, certain teams cannot face other because they're conference foes. Will they have two different brackets with two different title games? Or do they just create matchups for each of the teams. Say, Gonzaga faces UNC, Oklahoma and Arkansas?

Markburn1
04-16-2017, 05:49 PM

As we know, certain teams cannot face other because they're conference foes. Will they have two different brackets with two different title games? Or do they just create matchups for each of the teams. Say, Gonzaga faces UNC, Oklahoma and Arkansas?

Two eight team tournaments.

MDABE80
04-16-2017, 06:13 PM

Match up has a lot of "sizzle". I'm thinking it'll happen. TV ratings and all that considered. What that lineup for the Knight series shows is that we do not, as it sits right now, have a stronger team than this past season. We need stronger to effectively compete with all these amazing teams. We'll that that elusive excellent PG and a strong experienced center. Then we're good enough.

seacatfan
04-16-2017, 06:34 PM
Well, other teams in the field aren't going to be the same teams they were this year, either. UNC is losing Meeks, Hicks and Jackson for sure and it sounds like Berry and Bradley are mulling over entering the draft. They could be losing 4 starter from the Championship game. And if GU ends up not in the same group as UNC, Duke will also be a vastly different team next year. Oregon is losing several key guys.

Anyway none of us has seen Norvell, Larsen, Wade or Kispert play in real game action in a Gonzaga uniform yet, and guys like Tillie and Hachimura have plenty of room to grow into bigger roles. Don't think we've seen the best of Perkins or Melson yet either. JWIII came on strong after a slow start. I'm definitely not in the camp that thinks GU absolutely has to add a couple of grad transfers next year.

MDABE80
04-16-2017, 06:53 PM
Players........not necessarily grads transfers. Although, if this team is going back to the E 8 or FF, those types would likely help most.

seacatfan
04-16-2017, 07:39 PM
Players........not necessarily grads transfers. Although, if this team is going back to the E 8 or FF, those types would likely help most.

OK. If not a grad transfer, only other way they would get an immediately eligible player that could be a big contributor right away would be to hit the lottery on one of the top unsigned incoming recruits for next year.

Norwester
04-16-2017, 08:30 PM
Anyway none of us has seen Norvell, Larsen, Wade or Kispert play in real game action in a Gonzaga uniform yet, and guys like Tillie and Hachimura have plenty of room to grow into bigger roles. Don't think we've seen the best of Perkins or Melson yet either. JWIII came on strong after a slow start. I'm definitely not in the camp that thinks GU absolutely has to add a couple of grad transfers next year.

Well...Norvell has actually appeared in a Gonzaga uniform. He suited up and played in the exhibition game against W. Georgia. He had 18 points in 23 minutes and was 3/8 from beyond the arc (37.%). 6/11 from the field with 2 blocks and 2 assists. I remember him being pretty effective driving the lane. I thought he was the best player on the floor that game.

Zaga
04-17-2017, 05:15 AM
Well...Norvell has actually appeared in a Gonzaga uniform. He suited up and played in the exhibition game against W. Georgia. He had 18 points in 23 minutes and was 3/8 from beyond the arc (37.%). 6/11 from the field with 2 blocks and 2 assists. I remember him being pretty effective driving the lane. I thought he was the best player on the floor that game.

Really anxious to see him play. Chicago style, with a Pargo attitude I'll bet. Can't wait....

cjm720
04-17-2017, 05:38 AM
OK. If not a grad transfer, only other way they would get an immediately eligible player that could be a big contributor right away would be to hit the lottery on one of the top unsigned incoming recruits for next year.

Or Tommy does his thing overseas.

TexasZagFan
04-17-2017, 05:52 AM
Well, other teams in the field aren't going to be the same teams they were this year, either. UNC is losing Meeks, Hicks and Jackson for sure and it sounds like Berry and Bradley are mulling over entering the draft. They could be losing 4 starter from the Championship game. And if GU ends up not in the same group as UNC, Duke will also be a vastly different team next year. Oregon is losing several key guys.

I'm not in that camp, either. I'd like to think that we're still being considered by Chase Jeter, and would hope one of those scholarships would go to Jeremy Jones, of whom nothing (or very little) has been written about on these boards. We've seen how well an 8 man rotation works, and IMO we have the pieces to do the same next year...maybe even as many as ten.

I would recommend that we be patient through December, as the staff figures out the optimal rotation. In the aftermath of our success this year, I simply can't imagine that there won't be 1-2 major additions to our roster before the summer is out.

gu03alum
04-17-2017, 06:42 AM
I cannot wait for this tournament. I didn't see a single game in person this year. I usually go to a game in Spokane around Christmas and since I've moved back I have gone to the Battle in Seattle. This year no BiS and I had to leave Seattle earlier than I expected and missed the game I had tickets for. I almost pulled the trigger on the final four until I realized I would be sitting a mile from the court in a football stadium.

I would think that this is maybe the greatest tournament ever put together. So many big programs are going to be here. It's going to be awesome.

Reborn
04-17-2017, 09:05 AM
I hope we play well. Once again, we'll likely have more line-up turnaround than we'd otherwise have liked.

Of course, Few has always done a good job of having the team playing super well early in the year (and now, late in the year).

Gonzaga has historically played really well in these early season tournaments, but we have not played teams that we will be playing in this tournament. So it's going to be very interesting for sure. I can hardly wait to see the 2018 Zags play. They will be good that's for sure.