PDA

View Full Version : It can happen!!

MDABE80
04-16-2017, 12:31 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/high-school-basketball-star-turns-down-dollar14-million-offer-to-play-overseas/ar-BBzSnJ0

Parents and the boy value college. Sure they know he'll go to the NBA and sure $1.4 million is a load of money. But what did these parents chose even in this era of "take as much money as you can" which drives some people. There's always room for a kid to be a kid and go to school.

Call em "stupid" if you want but the parents know their boy has a good future in the NBA but they chose school over China and its millions.

Few should call this kid:)))

bartruff1
04-16-2017, 01:15 PM
If he wants to go to college, he can go to college anytime he wants.....

MDABE80
04-16-2017, 01:37 PM
Not sure why this was moved. It's a message some on the board need to see. We've seen it the other way. Fair and balanced mods??

seacatfan
04-16-2017, 03:25 PM
Why do you think this is so noteworthy? Every year top prospects opt to go to college for a year or more rather than going pro outside of the U.S. There have only been a few exceptions, and usually because the kid wouldn't have qualified to play in college anyway. So...not seeing this as being earth shaking or trend setting, it's simply the status quo.

seacatfan
04-16-2017, 03:28 PM
And Few should call this kid? Brilliant. Near the end of his Sr. year, one of the most sought after recruits in the country. Few should just decide to start recruiting him now you think? Probably going to Duke, if not there then I would expect somewhere like Kentucky or North Carolina.

MDABE80
04-16-2017, 05:38 PM
Why do you think this is so noteworthy? Every year top prospects opt to go to college for a year or more rather than going pro outside of the U.S. There have only been a few exceptions, and usually because the kid wouldn't have qualified to play in college anyway. So...not seeing this as being earth shaking or trend setting, it's simply the status quo.

Nobody said it's earthshaking. What this is translates to a set of parents that DID what Collins didn't. Point being is that the money for SOME ( like this family) is ASSURED AND THEY KNOW IT. THEY'D RATHER HAVE THEIR BOY GET SOME EDUCATION. Sorry for the caps. A completely different mindset and different priorities. It can work that way.
In my view, this is how it should be.
You differ? HOW?

Few should call the parent! Seems like they understand the value of education . SO does the kid. Most of our players and parent understand that. This Collins things displays a different outlook. I posted this article for balance as it's an entirely different approach. Like it or not, it deserved a post in my opinion.

seacatfan
04-16-2017, 06:16 PM
Well let's see in a year if Knox chooses to play more than 1 year of college or enters the NBA draft. At this point I'd call it apples and oranges, really not the same thing as the decision Collins made. It's not JUST about the money, it's the opportunity to play in the NBA. I can't imagine a single highly touted recruit in the U.S. ever dreamed about playing professionally in China, or anywhere else overseas for that matter. It's all about the NBA. I have a really hard believing that dozens of kids haven't made the same decision that Knox did. The difference appears to be that the others didn't publicize it. We can agree to disagree. You're impressed by this decision by Knox and I'm not.

seacatfan
04-16-2017, 06:18 PM
And Few can contact Knox all he wants. I have a feeling his list of potential college choices is already fairly narrowed down and he's probably not looking to expand it at this point.

MDABE80
04-16-2017, 08:06 PM
Seems like you're a bit annoyed over this simple departure from recent events. What's buggin you about it?

bartruff1
04-16-2017, 08:18 PM
Why take a shot at Collins and his family....he can always go to college if that is what he wants.

I helped raise a boy who graduated at 17 and was accepted to Stanford...in the interim he won a National Championship and was offered a sizable contract to turn pro....

He made several million dollars and competed all over the world....when he got married and started a family, he decided to go to WSU and is a Electrical Engineer with a stay at home mom, three boys, a home with no mortgage, no college debt....

So it can work out pretty well..

MDABE80
04-16-2017, 11:42 PM
Just showing there is a different way Bart. No worries. What's done is done.

bartruff1
04-17-2017, 05:05 AM
Hell Doc, I am pushing 80 and I am still going to college...the grandsons are taking vector calculus and when they would ask a question all I could say was " Ask your father ". Felt like a idiot, so I am taking some math courses at the local community college.

I don't understand why there is so much criticism of the schools, those middle schoolers are way way ahead of where I was at their age....

North Idaho Zag
04-17-2017, 07:37 AM
Sorry Doc, but while I am in agreement with you that I wish these "kids" would value their time in collage more, there is nothing in this article that suggests this kid is anything more than a one and done. The most you can get out of it is his father prefers his son goes to 1 year of collage over going to China, not that he values a 4 year education over going pro.

gu03alum
04-17-2017, 07:45 AM
I would think that there is value in going to school in the US for free over playing overseas for pay. You get a lot of exposure and a chance to build your brand here. If your goal is to play in the NBA it makes sense to play in college for a year for a good school (not like Fultz or Simmons did).

maynard g krebs
04-17-2017, 10:54 AM
Pointless thread. Only kids who go overseas for a year for a million or so are those who don't qualify for college, in general. Just another 1 and done; I'd bet most/all of the top 7-8 players have offers like this.

Only difference btw him and Collins is that he's a higher rated hs player, hence the reported offer. As one and dones they'll be exactly the same in terms of going to college.

MDABE80
04-17-2017, 01:30 PM
It's a spectacular thread! lol Makes you think.

webspinnre
04-17-2017, 09:39 PM
Man Abe, you seem awfully upset about this whole Collins thing. I've already moved on. Good for him, hope he's a great representative for us in the NBA.