PDA

View Full Version : so funny, yet so true.

KSTATEZAG
10-20-2007, 12:56 PM
See http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10419648 (http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10419648)

Gary Parish Mailbag

With all due respect, those three coaches (who voted Saint Mary's to finish first in the West Coast Conference) have a better handle on this than you do, which is natural. Do you have any idea how good Patrick Mills really is? You guys won't put him there because he didn't go to a BCS school, but he belongs with Michael Beasley and the other one-and-done names. If you doubt me, just ask someone who was in Serbia and saw both, e.g., DePaul's Wainwright or GW's Karl Hobbs. Naturally we hope he isn't one-and-done, but he will star for Australia at the Olympics next summer. Do you know that Diamon Simpson has added an outside shot making him a relatively sure NBA'er? These two names plus Josh Heytvelt have a shot at WCC player of the year honors. No one else will be in serious contention. The supporting cast is not bad - Samhan, Hughes, O'Leary and McConnell will all be pretty familiar names when the season winds down. All that being said, I can't quarrel with listing Gonzaga No. 1, but only if Heytvelt plays to potential and the newcomers are as good as advertised.

You Saint Mary's folks are loopy. Seriously, if you "can't quarrel" with me listing Gonzaga No. 1, what the hell are you so mad about? All I did was pick the team that has won the WCC the past seven years -- and that probably has two (and maybe three) pros on its roster -- to win the WCC for an eighth straight year, and then I put Saint Mary's second. And that makes me an idiot? Really? And I understand Patrick Mills is good. But do you know how many 6-foot guards are one-and-done prospects? Almost none. So comparing him to Michael Beasley -- a 6-9 forward who I think will be the top pick in next June's NBA Draft -- is probably silly. If I were you, I'd just hope Mills is as good as Aaron Bruce, another celebrated Australian point guard. In case you forgot, Bruce once led Australia with 25 points in 106-85 upset of a Team USA squad featuring Dee Brown and J.J. Redick. Now, he's a senior at Baylor with no guarantee to ever play in the NBA. So I'd settle down a bit, Coony. You're the one way out on a limb here, not me. But if the Gaels do win the WCC instead of Gonzaga, trust me, I'll enjoy writing about being wrong. I don't have a problem being proved wrong, but that's probably because I'm almost always right. ---
This is too good.
I think Saint Mary's is a little high on themselves right now.
Mills will be good, but he's absolutely right...

HOOTER
10-20-2007, 01:23 PM
This guy confuses me. He starts out by singing Saint Mary's praises, but at the end of his tyrade he admits that Gonzaga is probably #1 in the conference. Figure it out you nutjob! And what is with people thinking that Heytvelt is the only guy on this team who can play ball, as if the Zag's are a one man show or something. Coony (along with all the other dillusional Saint Mary's fans) is going to be shocked at the depth of this years team.

MDABE80
10-20-2007, 01:47 PM
I can't remember a 5 ft 10 in guy making it to the NBA.........no matter how good they shoot or how quick they are. Mills might be a great college player for St Marys. I hope he is. Only high end player St Marys has is Diamon Simpson. They do have good size though. They play Oregon early but I'm thinking we'll have a pretty good guage of how good St Marys might be when they play Southern Illinois in late November. S Ill is a very very tough team from the "Valley". Athletic team who plays severely good "glue" type defense.

It'll be interesting this year in the WCC. RIght now, we don't know much as to how good the Zags will be. Pendo hurt, Josh with his foot problem and some unproven Freshmen. Evn if those two make it back and are healthy, I have this feeling we're going to need those frosh to mature quickly. I was talking withone of our recent former players 2 weeks ago. He's pretty convinced that Gray has the skills NOW to handle the ball and shoot effectively. He wasn't sure Gray can know the offense to run the team.

I think we're going to see lots of Gray come January.......we're going to need him. Big guard, great shooter, good speed and a high IQ. Not sure about his defense but he'll figure it out as the coaches are fixing his high school habits.
This is going to be unique season. Zags are loaded......but freshman development will be key if we're going to go the distance.

MickMick
10-20-2007, 02:21 PM
This is going to be unique season. Zags are loaded......but freshman development will be key if we're going to go the distance.

Agree 100% but from a different angle (if you are thinking Gray and Daye). We need Sacre at 5 and Josh at 4...both playing well to have a chance of taking it all. Think back to the non-existent inside game against Indiana. A Turiaff/Batista presence in the form of Sacre is the difference maker.

Sacre, Daye, Ira, and Gray all have a shot at newcomer of the year. As good of a shot as Mills does.

ZaggyStardust
10-20-2007, 05:04 PM
I think Coony is the same guy that said (on their board) their next year's team will be better than ANY team Gonzaga has EVER had... Must be nice to live in a fuzzy world with no sharp edges!

skan72
10-20-2007, 05:14 PM
I can't remember a 5 ft 10 in guy making it to the NBA.........no matter how good they shoot or how quick they are. Mills might be a great college player for St Marys. I hope he is. Only high end player St Marys has is Diamon Simpson. They do have good size though. They play Oregon early but I'm thinking we'll have a pretty good guage of how good St Marys might be when they play Southern Illinois in late November. S Ill is a very very tough team from the "Valley". Athletic team who plays severely good "glue" type defense.

It'll be interesting this year in the WCC. RIght now, we don't know much as to how good the Zags will be. Pendo hurt, Josh with his foot problem and some unproven Freshmen. Evn if those two make it back and are healthy, I have this feeling we're going to need those frosh to mature quickly. I was talking withone of our recent former players 2 weeks ago. He's pretty convinced that Gray has the skills NOW to handle the ball and shoot effectively. He wasn't sure Gray can know the offense to run the team.

I think we're going to see lots of Gray come January.......we're going to need him. Big guard, great shooter, good speed and a high IQ. Not sure about his defense but he'll figure it out as the coaches are fixing his high school habits.

I'm sorry, but you can't remember a 5 foot 10 guy making the NBA? I didn't read the rest of your post after this, so maybe you explained this comment...but how tall is Nate Robinson again? And I've heard Chris Paul is around that height.

MEZAG
10-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Mugsy Bogues
Spudd Webb
Earl Boykins

BobZag
10-20-2007, 05:58 PM
We all love our teams and almost every fan is excited about the upcoming season, being undefeated and all. But some humility is a good thing, too.

Earl Boykins.

CDC84
10-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Mills needs to develop a consistent outside jumper and get much stronger before he can even consider the NBA. He also needs to adapt to the American game. The 2007 draft is also not a draft to declare for unless you're Derrick Rose or something. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if his name is called one day....he is very, very quick and has shown an ability to really run a team at the international level.

The problem with Simpson - who I have liked from the first moment that I saw him play - is that he needs to develop more perimeter offensive skills if he wants to play in the NBA. He has terrible form on his jumper. The way Bennett has been forced to use him the last couple of years is not quite how the pros will be using him if he develops into a prospect.

While the Gaels should be quite good this season, they're going to be a NCAA tourney shoe in next season if everyone develops as expected.

Robzagnut
10-22-2007, 07:25 AM
Calvin Murphy - Hall of Famer

zaguarxj
10-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Last year, St. Mary's broke the Zags' home winning streak and Samhan did a pretty good job of getting under the skin of us fans. I sure don't want them to beat the Zags again this year but wouldn't it be fun if they're actually consistently good enough to get an in-conference rivalry going? Now that we don't have the Huskies to pick-on any more, I can't think of any team that we have a real rivalry going with. I'd say Memphis, but the problem with that one is that we (as fans) seem to like and respect Memphis a little too much. To make a rivalry fun, it kind of helps to have a good healthy hate for the other team (thank you Samhan!) and for the other team to be good enough to be a consistent threat.

edit: (oops - It was Santa Clara that broke the winning streak)

former1dog
10-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Honestly,

I think Gonzaga has had some consistent conference rivalries throughout the past 15 years or so.

For the longest time, it was Pepperdine. St. Mary's has been pretty good for the most part the better part of the last 7 years or so, with a couple of hickups.

For my money, though, I love it when we beat Santa Clara, probably 'cuz Davey always seemed to have his guys so well prepared to play us. They always played us ugly, borderline dirty, and it always made for exciting games.