PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Tigers...and to Zags

BobZag
02-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Big-time, clutch shot by CDR with 5.9 secs to go for the game-winner. Props to Hunt for his clutch treys. And kudos to all of Memphis for such solid D.

I'm not into moral victories. This 1-point OT loss is the same as a 30-point blowout to the NCAA Selection Committee. A loss is a loss and it hurts.

Zags had their opportunities but failed to capitalize. The Tigers did capitalize on their opportunity in OT. Lots of "ifs" and "woulda coulda shoulda's" for the Zags, but imho, that was about as good as could've been expected from our guys. Yes, GU made mistakes but so did Memphis.

The silver lining that I took away from this game was the visible improvement and adjustments that Few & Co. have made since last weekend. This was a much better Zag team (best effort/game since Stanford) than we saw last weekend, and against a much better team.

Pendo being worked into the offense more.
Micah showing signs of comfort-level.
Raivio playing bigger than he is.
Kuso being pretty darn clutch in crunch time.
Pargo playing as hard as he could, hit tying shot.

It was a Team Loss (GU) and it was a Team Win (Memphis). Like I said, I saw a better Zag team than what I saw before. It was a definite step forward. That was with one week to adjust. Now they play UP and should win, followed by another week of further adjusting and practice time.

Loved the effort.
Hope Sean is okay.

Gotta win the WCC Tourney now. Period.

Again, props to Memphis. The arena was the best it's ever been. Superb atmosphere. Fans got a bargain.

But losing sucks, be it a valiant 1-point OT loss or a blowout.

Beat UP!

Kiddwell
02-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Really proud of the team tonight. Could've folded after being down by double digits. Played tough (e.g., Sean hobbling around in pain while doing his best to contribute solid minutes). I actually thought, though, that this great effort against No. 9 (given the context of GU's recent tribulations) would impress the NCAA powers.

Still, yes, safest scenario is GU winning the WCC Tourney. If so, does the WCC get two teams in? SCU?

:]

bigblahla
02-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Great game.

If the boys bring it like they did today the WCC is going to be disappointed as the Zags will be dancing again.

Incredible scene at the arena it reminded me of a Shock game. I couldn't believe it was that loud.

Props to the whole team. Great post BZ.

Go!! Zags!!!

gamagin
02-18-2007, 08:03 AM
Fine recap BZ.

I loved this game.

Imo, Pendo, Bouldin, Kuso moved up from niche role to several minutes of impact playing -- against a # 8 team no less. And damned near won in the process !

Memphis brought its A game and we adjusted on the fly. Give or take a few bad breaks, brief lapses or just confusion inspired by the uncertainty of a lot of adjustments against a great team, we could have won be several points.

I agree with Blanchette's fine assessment this am. GU is back. Memphis' coach left grateful, hat in hand. I think they stole a win.

The stats seem to back this, too.

pargo made soph mistakes yet showed flashes of continued brilliance. nearly the whole way.

So did bouldin. a freshman playing over his head at times, but a wily veteran driving to the basket, too. I was sorry he stopped driving.

I was sorry he, pargo and DR, too, didn't start kicking it out after Memphis double-teamed them in frustration. Afterall, someone was open.

But driving was what was needed. Now the complete play (the kick out) will become obvious.

Just loved the open man getting the shot, too, when it happened. Pendo is/was a shooter for years. turns out he still is. Memphis couldn't believe it, so pendo kept showing them.

Micah grew in his position and role, too. He is so smooth, so effective. He started blocking the middle from behind and killed the easy two. took alot of pressure of Kuso, too. Maybe kept him in the game foul wise. Great teamwork.

Was sorry to see Sean come up lame, but he was about the only player out there that seemed truly out of his game yesterday.

But if the injury goes away, he has made a career of reaching the level his team needs him to reach. so things look all good for this team to keep growing and maturing from here, for the rest of this season and well into the future.

tyra
02-18-2007, 09:21 AM
We played the 9th ranked team in the nation toe to toe in the most exciting game of the year. Think back to before you-know-what. Ask yourself what you would have said if someone told you: "Without Josh at all and without Sean for the second half, you will have an OT white-knuckler with one of the hottest teams in the country." Absolutely amazing. If anybody ever wanted a reason to love this team, they got it yesterday.

BobZag
02-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Funny, but when I think of this game the images I see are--

1. Pargo's two tomahawks (better than Dorsey's reverse jam, imho.)
2. Mallon's Willis Reed imitation attempt. (pure guts)
3. Pendo being asked to score and swishing 4 outta 5.
4. Kuso's two cool-as-a-cucumber FT's with 17 secs left. (of all the people.)
5. Micah swatting, battling, and having the sweetest stroke since Richie.

There are more. Those two tomahawks take the cake, though.

Wish everyone on here could've been there in person. What a memorable game. Fun as hell.

To Zag fans -- Remember the countless last-second squeaker wins last year? It all evens out over the years.

Must win league tourney.

TheZagPhish
02-18-2007, 11:12 AM
There are more. Those two tomahawks take the cake, though.

I'm with you there, BZ! I've never felt this good after a loss. :rolleyes: On top of the Arena showering love and an amazing fight-to-the-end ball game, I have to say that the the Tigers, their coach and fans sending respect and admiration is also helpful - that's a classy group all around.

And Kuso! KUSO! I love that kid, misjudgments and all. His heart is there and he's elevating his game - as they all are. Banging bodies, rebounding, blocking, hustling up the court... I believe he has many surprises in store for us all.

HoopsMcFadden
02-18-2007, 09:55 PM
that game made me proud to be a Zag fan. to play at that level with all the adversity the team has gone through in the past week or so shows just how much pride the guys have in playing for the name on the front of their jerseys.

losing sucks, but playing hard and having a chance to win it at the end is all any fan should ask for from his team, especially when you're up against one of the Top 10 teams in the country.

congratulations guys! you played your hearts out, even if you didn't get the W. and that's good enough for me.

NVzag
02-18-2007, 11:38 PM
I've never felt this good after a loss.

I have.

Arizona.

RebornZag
02-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Took my son, daughter-in-law and grandson to the game. When we got there and found our seats we were at the very top. The very last row. We found our seats, but there were only 3 seats for the 4 that I paid for. I was very confused (as usual) as I thought I had gotten seats closer to floor. We were there early so I figured, "No problem. This row won't fill up." Ooops. It did, and we were one seat short. Went down to tell someone about the problem. She said it was a computer error, and that it happens frequently. They always save 4 seats in the first row to cover that.

I was ecstatic. Hustle up to get my family, and there we were. Not quite on the floor, but the first row right up above the tunnel that the Zags passed through. It was so kool down that close. Probably made the game 10 times as good.

I stood there in awe after the game as our gladiators and their coach passed through the tunnel. A few of the guys did take the loss pretty badly. You could see it really hurt. The same for coach Few. I hope the wounds heal, and that by tonight they will all see how good they played.

BZ. I thought we did make the plays we needed to make to win. Those two foul shots by Kuso were unbelievable to me. Talk about guts by that guy. And did you see his block right after that? Kuso was 3 feet off the floor. That is doing what we needed to do to win. Unfortunately for us, the ref didn't call traveling on the last shot, which a ton of people thought it was...........But give him credit for making a shot and doing what they needed to do...But I do think we did what we needed to do. COULD HAVE USED A CALL BY THE REFEREE AT HOME. I just feel that to say we didn't do what we needed to do underscores the great effort given by the team at the end, (for the first time this year, by the way). But next time, I'll bet when we're in the same situation again (at the NCAA's) we'll get that call. Things tend to even out over time. Let the call go for them this time in order for it to go next time when there's more at steak.

Mimi
02-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Unfortunately for us, the ref didn't call traveling on the last shot, which a ton of people thought it was...........But give him credit for making a shot and doing what they needed to do...But I do think we did what we needed to do. COULD HAVE USED A CALL BY THE REFEREE AT HOME. I just feel that to say we didn't do what we needed to do underscores the great effort given by the team at the end, (for the first time this year, by the way). But next time, I'll bet when we're in the same situation again (at the NCAA's) we'll get that call. Things tend to even out over time. Let the call go for them this time in order for it to go next time when there's more at steak.

Good stuff...pretty noble, until this. Always cringeworthy to select a few specific calls you feel went against you. Particularly judgment calls.

You did notice the Downs out of bounds play when he "saved" the ball despite having his foot down out of bounds in the OT?

Gonzaga played very hard and nearly took advantage of the missed free throw parade by Memphis down the stretch. It made for a teriffic game and the home crowd had a lot to do with those free throw bricks.

There are similar attaboys to the Memphis players for making "heroic" "gladiator" style plays...Hunt's massive 3s etc...let's not tarnish all this with beefs about a non-travel.

GoZags
02-19-2007, 02:05 PM
"You did notice the Downs out of bounds play when he "saved" the ball despite having his foot down out of bounds in the OT?"
-----------------------
Actually as Down's release of the ball was within 1 or 2 10th's of a second after his foot hit the ground it is incredibly doubtful that anyone actually at the game noticed.

However -- ESPN's shot clearly showed the foot down prior to the ball being released so it is evident the Zags got a break. But again, in real time it was not that obvious.

former1dog
02-19-2007, 02:08 PM
There are similar attaboys to the Memphis players for making "heroic" "gladiator" style plays...Hunt's massive 3s etc...let's not tarnish all this with beefs about a non-travel.

Agreed.

I think, though, that most who watched would agree that the refereeing was suspect at best. Not in favor of the Tigers or Bulldogs, but just generally poor calls throughout on both teams.

Mimi
02-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Agreed.

I think, though, that most who watched would agree that the refereeing was suspect at best. Not in favor of the Tigers or Bulldogs, but just generally poor calls throughout on both teams.

Which was my point. Fans always notice calls they believe went against them and rarely ever call attention to those that benefitted them.

Absent an Ohio State Miami style football gaffe, it is always best to keep that can of worms closed (as somewhat proven by folks micro-analyzing the Downs play).

That was simply a great college basketball game where bot teams made huge shots down the stretch, especially Pendergrast, Hunt, Paro and Douglas-Roberts.

They all had large balls.