PDA

View Full Version : Romar to Arizona as assistant

Zagdawg
04-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 6m6 minutes ago
Arizona's Sean Miller has hired former Washington head coach Lorenzo Romar as an assistant coach. Romar will replace Joe Pasternak on staff.

I hope Romar doesn't share the the secret receipe with Miller on how to defeat the Zags.

bartruff1
04-15-2017, 02:08 PM
What a great move and a wonderful place to be a assistant coach....the mold will be gone in just a few weeks....

zagzilla
04-15-2017, 03:26 PM
Savvy move by Miller. Access to Romar's recruiting network up here in PNW. UW can't be happy

ZZ

sittingon50
04-15-2017, 03:31 PM
:explode:

Zagcity
04-15-2017, 03:37 PM
double :explode:

Zagger
04-15-2017, 03:47 PM
Now it'll be easier to beat Arizona ;)

zagsfanforlife
04-15-2017, 04:18 PM
People on here will laugh based on his track record as HC of the Huskies, but Miller and Romar recruiting combo is LETHAL. As a zags fan i am not happy that AZ is the school GU is going up against in recruiting battles for mostly every kid who is a top target in 2018. Romar/Miller is a tough combo.

raise the zag
04-15-2017, 04:22 PM
People on here will laugh based on his track record as HC of the Huskies, but Miller and Romar recruiting combo is LETHAL. As a zags fan i am not happy that AZ is the school GU is going up against in recruiting battles for mostly every kid who is a top target in 2018. Romar/Miller is a tough combo.

initially, I felt the same way….then I thought….

"when have we EVER been in a recruiting battle with Arizona?".

Washington, yes. Oregon, yes. Even UCLA to some degree. But Zona?

Nope. Never.

They played 5 Top-20 players last season. More than EVERY single team in College hoops, save Kentucky…and same # as Duke.

So, rich get richer, but how much richer can they get?

Sean Miller is a great coach/recruiter/person, yet unless he learns to adapt in-game strategies, Arizona will always be stunted by his stubbornness to alter game plans. Trust me.

[seacat thoughts?]

zagsfanforlife
04-15-2017, 04:41 PM
initially, I felt the same way….then I thought….

"when have we EVER been in a recruiting battle with Arizona?".

Washington, yes. Oregon, yes. Even UCLA to some degree. But Zona?

Nope. Never.

They played 5 Top-20 players last season. More than EVERY single team in College hoops, save Kentucky…and same # as Duke.

So, rich get richer, but how much richer can they get?

Sean Miller is a great coach/recruiter/person, yet unless he learns to adapt in-game strategies, Arizona will always be stunted by his stubbornness to alter game plans. Trust me.

[seacat thoughts?]

We are in a recruiting battle for our top 3 2018 targets--- singleton, cherry and williams

raise the zag
04-15-2017, 04:54 PM
We are in a recruiting battle for our top 3 2018 targets--- singleton, cherry and williams

…and so it begins. Had no idea.

That said, I can't recall ever losing a legit Zag recruit to Arizona.

zagsfanforlife
04-15-2017, 05:08 PM
…and so it begins. Had no idea.

Lets hope we keep it that way! :)

palmerda
04-15-2017, 05:14 PM

Weren't we recruiting Nick Johnson pretty hard?

zagdontzig
04-15-2017, 06:16 PM
I am worried but one thing neither coach has in their recruiting tool chest is a final four

JPtheBeasta
04-15-2017, 06:39 PM
So, what's the hierarchy?

If UofA hires a kid's dad as an assistant to get him to play there, does Romar get to keep his job?

CDC84
04-16-2017, 01:23 AM
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 6m6 minutes ago
Arizona's Sean Miller has hired former Washington head coach Lorenzo Romar as an assistant coach. Romar will replace Joe Pasternak on staff.

I hope Romar doesn't share the the secret receipe with Miller on how to defeat the Zags.

None one has ever said that Romar cannot recruit. The inner city Seattle recruiting battles between Hopkins and his ex-Husky players and Romar will be interesting to follow.

WallaWallaZag
04-16-2017, 08:14 AM
Weren't we recruiting Nick Johnson pretty hard?

yes, and chance comanche until he indicated he was going in a different direction...

seacatfan
04-16-2017, 09:44 AM
Arizona wanted Daye, Gonzaga won that one.

seacatfan
04-16-2017, 09:44 AM
So, what's the hierarchy?

If UofA hires a kid's dad as an assistant to get him to play there, does Romar get to keep his job?

Miller has never hired a recruit's parent to fill out his staff. Can't see him ever going that route.

seacatfan
04-16-2017, 09:50 AM
[seacat thoughts?]

It caught me off guard when I first saw rumors about this. Maybe it will work out well. Miller is a harda** and Romar seems really personable and seems to readily connect with players, so maybe they can do a bit of good cop/bad cop routine. I know everybody on this board likes to make fun of Romar, but he was fairly successful at UW until the last 6 years or so. Maybe he can help Miller get a clue running an offense against a zone D.

5 top 20 players? Really? Trier, Markannen, Alkins and Simmons. Who else? Can't imagine any of Ristic, PJC, Allen or Comanche were ever ranked in the top 20.

maynard g krebs
04-17-2017, 04:24 PM
Maybe he can help Miller get a clue running an offense against a zone D.

If that was what Miller was looking for, Ken Bone was available. Romar's not exactly an offensive mastermind.