PDA

View Full Version : Vance Jackson

Murphy outgo lifer
04-15-2017, 07:38 AM
Vance Jackson is transferring from UConn and I believe that we had recruited him out of high school. The 6'8 SF freshman put up, 8.1 PPG 3.8 RPG 1.4 APG in 26.1 MPG this season. He was the 78th recruit in the class of 2016 according to ESPN.

There seems to be some parent issues, however, according to the following article:

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-jacobs-column-uconn-bbturmoil-0330-20170329-column.html

Do I think Vance Jackson Sr. could be renamed LaVar Ball Jr.? That's a stretch, but certainly not out of line. Jackson went so far as to tweet it was his call to leave, not his dad's. Yet read the comments Jackson Sr. made to Adam Zagoria about his son's departure and you've got to wonder if he watched the same game as the rest of us. At the next stop, it also would behoove Mr. Jackson to erase his Twitter account.

"The main reason was it wasn't the right fit for Vance to display his full skills," Jackson Sr. told Zagoria. "It was more of a guard offense where the guards dominate the ball, and you kind of get it at the last minute. If you get it, take a shot or whatever.

"I had conversations with the coach. I was just wondering if there was a way we could utilize him more to help the team. His skill level, there's a lot of stuff he can do and we weren't on the same page with it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMNGQAAkUt8

Great 3 point shooter.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-15-2017, 07:47 AM
I think Zags are good w Rui and Kispert holding down that position

uZiGiZaG
04-15-2017, 07:47 AM
Looks like his game is a little too slow for big time NCAA basketball

Goshzagit
04-15-2017, 08:04 AM
suddenly, SF not a position of need, as its been for past 4-5 seasons. Obviously we have had terrific combo/shooting guards to fill that position over the years, yet Rui & Kispert are going to be nice options at the wing.

What IF Vance Jackson was willing to bulk up 15-20lbs and turn him into a face-up power forward? He's already a very good 3pt shooter, and showed some glimpses of good post footwork.

If he was willing to play the 4, I say we use a RS year to develop his post game.

I see potential as an option around the hoop.

Murphy outgo lifer
04-15-2017, 08:09 AM
suddenly, SF not a position of need, as its been for past 4-5 seasons. Obviously we have had terrific combo/shooting guards to fill that position over the years, yet Rui & Kispert are going to be nice options at the wing.

What IF Vance Jackson was willing to bulk up 15-20lbs and turn him into a face-up power forward? He's already a very good 3pt shooter, and showed some glimpses of good post footwork.

If he was willing to play the 4, I say we use a RS year to develop his post game.

Honestly, this is what I was thinking. He would make a great stretch 4.

cggonzaga
04-15-2017, 11:15 AM

Being a bit of an insider Gosh, don't you believe Norvell will start at the 3 next year? Him or Melson? My belief, especially if we don't get another big coming in, is that Rui will have to play quite a bit of 4 next season. While I know he plays offensively like a 3, he would be a terrific mismatch for opposing teams as a stretch 4. Also, he could certainly guard the 4 in the WCC but wondering how he would do against elite competition defensively at the 4.

As for Jackson. Talented player with average athleticism. After having Collins this year I'd like to continue the trend of having shot blockers down low.

Goshzagit
04-15-2017, 11:24 AM
Being a bit of an insider Gosh, don't you believe Norvell will start at the 3 next year? Him or Melson? My belief, especially if we don't get another big coming in, is that Rui will have to play quite a bit of 4 next season. While I know he plays offensively like a 3, he would be a terrific mismatch for opposing teams as a stretch 4. Also, he could certainly guard the 4 in the WCC but wondering how he would do against elite competition defensively at the 4.

As for Jackson. Talented player with average athleticism. After having Collins this year I'd like to continue the trend of having shot blockers down low.

no idea, but yes, I suspect Norvell starts. Potentially a reason Alberts decided to seek more PT.

The little glimpse I saw of Norvell, I was blown away...he is a future *star*.

must stay focused and disciplined tho

cggonzaga
04-15-2017, 11:27 AM
no idea, but yes, I suspect Norvell starts. Potentially a reason Alberts decided to seek more PT.

The little glimpse I saw of Norvell, I was blown away...he is a future *star*.

must stay focused and disciplined tho

I've heard the same. I think he competes with J3 for leading scorer next season.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-15-2017, 12:02 PM
This team needs to start recruiting for the eventual replacements for Tillie and Hachimura. Both of those players are likely to turn pro before using up their eligibility. Having a 6'8" forward stashed in the Coach Knight strength program for a year would be a great insurance policy if that happens.

thespywhozaggedme
04-15-2017, 12:52 PM

Silas and Zack are shooting guards, Corey and Rui are small forwards, Tillie and JW3 or power forwards.

Tommy even reaffirmed the fact that Rui is a small forward in the thread about him:

Hes playing both the 3 and the 4 at the moment but his long-term position will be at the 3. We are working with him daily on the skills that will be required to be a full-time perimeter player.

Coach Crazy
04-15-2017, 01:48 PM
Silas has the length and athleticism to play the 3. Given his style of shot selection, and being that glue guy he's gonna get time at the 3. And it's where he should be starting with Zach at the 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thespywhozaggedme
04-15-2017, 02:58 PM
Silas has the length and athleticism to play the 3. Given his style of shot selection, and being that glue guy he's gonna get time at the 3. And it's where he should be starting with Zach at the 2.

But that doesn't make sense Zach is like 3 inches taller than Silas.

Zagcity
04-15-2017, 03:35 PM
Just saying official roster says one inch diff ;)

cggonzaga
04-15-2017, 03:49 PM
Silas and Zack are shooting guards, Corey and Rui are small forwards, Tillie and JW3 or power forwards.

Tommy even reaffirmed the fact that Rui is a small forward in the thread about him:

He’s playing both the 3 and the 4 at the moment … but his long-term position will be at the 3. We are working with him daily on the skills that will be required to be a full-time perimeter player.

I don't disagree with any of this spy. However, based on our current roster if Silas plays the 2, Norvell has to play the 3 to start games imo. If Norvell is logging a lot of minutes at the 3 then that means either Rui or Kispert is going to play very few minutes. At this time we also only have 2 proven bigs and Larsen for a 3 man rotation. Rui "can" play the 4 if need be and at this time it's probably need be. If Kispert, Wade and Norvell are as advertised there just aren't enough minutes to go around for Rui at the 3.

The other part of this is Rui wins the 3 spot and Wade and Novell split backup minutes between the 1-3. This also means Kispert barely plays which I suppose is a possibility.

Coach Crazy
04-15-2017, 04:08 PM

For me, style and function is just as important. We played a 3-guard lineup with Jordan, this year. Essentially playing him at the 3. I don't personally see a problem with the height differential.

Silas went 118.8/92.6 and a 7.5 BPM playing as a "facilitator"/glue guy for Coach Few's action within sets, and being able to either guard a scorer, or strong man d from 3-point land.

Not saying he won't play some 2. I just don't see him maintaining that value unless he can shoot effectively from a higher volume.

Coach Crazy
04-15-2017, 04:12 PM
I don't disagree with any of this spy. However, based on our current roster if Silas plays the 2, Norvell has to play the 3 to start games imo. If Norvell is logging a lot of minutes at the 3 then that means either Rui or Kispert is going to play very few minutes. At this time we also only have 2 proven bigs and Larsen for a 3 man rotation. Rui "can" play the 4 if need be and at this time it's probably need be. If Kispert, Wade and Norvell are as advertised there just aren't enough minutes to go around for Rui at the 3.

The other part of this is Rui wins the 3 spot and Wade and Novell split backup minutes between the 1-3. This also means Kispert barely plays which I suppose is a possibility.

I think you'll see some versatility with lineups. I think this probably the most creative the staff will ever have to have been.

I don't see how you can keep Kispert off the court if he can shoot and pass from the 3. But if Rui is indeed a 15-20 min. a night player, it will be interesting to see how that unfolds.

raise the zag
04-15-2017, 04:18 PM

in person, they are nearly identical height, Norvell a shade taller. Not obvious at all.

Silas kinda hunches while Norvell stands tall, still not much difference.

If I were to guess I'd say Silas is 6'3.5", Zach may be 6'4.5".

I will say, Silas is a bit taller than Perkins in person.

NWG might be the shortest of the bunch, yet carries himself much taller on and off the court.

willandi
04-15-2017, 07:16 PM
Why don't we go with frontcourt and backcourt as the designations, rather than 1,2,3,4, &5. It would be easier to accept a player as backcourt that thinking 2,3 or 4.

maynard g krebs
04-15-2017, 08:16 PM
Might be a situation where traditional numerical designations don't mean as much as usual. Kispert and Rui are both big and strong enough to spend time at the 4, and they are big enough to play together at the forward spots, which sort of makes the 3-4 designation moot for those minutes at least. Lots of versatility with JW3 and Tillie as bigs who can run and Kispert/Rui.

I think Kispert is too good to keep off the floor; 15-20 minutes at least. Same w/Norvell. More players on the perimeter that deserve pt than there are minutes.

cggonzaga
04-15-2017, 09:25 PM
Fair enough will and maynard.