PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga #23 per Jeff Goodman of Fox Sports

ZagNative
10-20-2007, 11:30 AM
No. 23: Gonzaga Bulldogs

Jeff Goodman
FOXSports.com (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7352362), Updated 2 hours ago

This might just be Mark Few's deepest team since he's been at Gonzaga.

The Bulldogs lost Derek Raivio and Sean Mallon from the starting lineup a year ago, but Few should have little problem filling those voids with a talented incoming class and plenty of returnees.

The 'Zags start with underrated junior point guard Jeremy Pargo, a Chicago native who has thrived out in Spokane. He averaged 12.1 points, 4.6 assists and 4.3 rebounds per game and should have plenty of help.

Why they'll make the Final Four: Pargo will step up even more and become a top-notch point guard.

Why they're getting bounced in the first round: Only if Heytvelt gets himself into off-court trouble again.

You don't know him ... yet: Steven Gray The Bainbridge, Wash., product has size (6-4) and can really make shots from deep.

Larryzag
10-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Pretty good analysis except for his comments about Downs. Micah was consistant the last seven games. He will start at the beginning of the year and will be given every chance to keep his position. I can see both Downs and Daye getting alot of minutes and sometimes both at the same time with Downs at the 3 and Daye at 4.

brasszag
10-20-2007, 12:36 PM
What I worry most about this team is that there's not a lot of players who have a calming influence on the team - to keep them on an even keel when adrenaline and emotion can so easily take over and start causing foolish mistakes.

I expect with his age and experience Ira! will be that guy, but who knows?

DomoArigatoMrZagoto
10-20-2007, 01:24 PM
What I worry most about this team is that there's not a lot of players who have a calming influence on the team

Pendo!!

HOOTER
10-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Pendo!!

That's exactly what I was thinking. He's about as calm and level headed as they come. He shows a ton of maturity even when things get rough.

FuManShoes
10-20-2007, 02:07 PM
I wasn't a big fan of his carving his name into his hair for the Big Dance, but Jeremy showed some serious maturity in the Stanford game, where he both calmed the team down after the Tree pushed it to OT and took over when the Zags needed a lift. And that wasn't the only time Jeremy took command of the good ship Zag. Remember the UNC game, when Raivio was having some serious shot selection "issues" and the lead dwindled? Jeremy got things back on track by taking it to the rack. To my mind, Pargo and Pendo are all the Zen the Zags need.

GoZagz77
10-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Man you beat me too it... the article is 100 percent correct we have a nice depth going on this season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7352362

Heres the whole article if it matters.

CDC84
10-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Goodman had a change of heart, because he originally didn't even have Gonzaga in his top 30.