PDA

View Full Version : Rui Hachimura in FIBA U19 Basketball World CUP 2017

ZagNative
04-14-2017, 05:38 PM
Here's a nice story about RUI and the upcoming FIba U1 World Cup (http://www.fiba.com/world/u19/2017/news/hachimura-better-than-last-time-he-faced-usa-stars-at-u17), "Hachimura better than last time he faced USA stars at U17."

http://www.fiba.com/images.fiba.com/Graphic/5/53/QhW2U-uz_kC-FvdKCx3-7g.jpg?v=20151130133638123

GLENDALE (FIBA U19 Basketball World Cup 2017) - Rui Hachimura hopes to combine the experience from his last appearance on the global stage along with a historic run to the NCAA Tournament title game to become a leader for Japan at the FIBA U19 Basketball World Cup 2017.

The last time the world basketball community saw Hachimura was three summers ago when the Japanese star showed that he belonged on the court with two USA players currently in the NBA and six more expected to be chosen in the first round of this June’s NBA Draft.

Hachimura was the leading scorer at the FIBA U17 Basketball World Cup 2014 with 22.6 points a game to go with 6.6 rebounds, 1.3 steals and 1.7 blocks. The Toyama native for example torched Italy for 35 points in an 83-56 loss. That performance came two days after Japan lost 122-38 to the United States - with Hachimura scoring 25 points.

Hachimura played in three NCAA Tournament games for the Bulldogs - picking up three points and one rebound in six total minutes of action in the First Found, Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight. He also experienced the Final Four - Gonzaga’s first trip to the National Semi-Finals, which ended in the team’s loss in the final to North Carolina.

"I couldn't have imagined before coming to the US that I would be playing in the Final Four or in the NCAA Tournament at all. Now I am here and I’m very glad to be here. These are some crazy experiences. I don’t want to waste this time," said Hachimura, who is the first Japanese player to play in the NCAA Final Four.

Hachimura and the Gonzaga coaching staff all believe that he will play a major role on the team next season. The basketball itself was not the problem this season for the freshman but rather the language.

"It was the communication with the coaches and teammates during the basketball. I couldn’t understand anything - formations, defense, a play call," Hachimura admitted in an interview done in English.

Hachimura will understand everything his teammates say in Cairo and he will take the experiences from the FIBA U17 Basketball World Cup and NCAA Tournament and be a leader in Cairo.

Nice to remember the summer will be full of FIBA stories for selected Zags. Killian and Jacob might see time with their national teams, and will the Polish national team be playing some place this summer?

Zags_Fanatic
04-14-2017, 05:55 PM
Selfishly going to miss seeing him in the scrimmages this summer.

northsidezagfan
04-14-2017, 06:02 PM
Thanks ZN!

ZagNative
04-14-2017, 06:06 PM
Here's a piece from super international reporter David Hein on Rui, Killian, and Jacob (http://www.heinnews.com/basketball/nba/gonzaga-international-trio-update-tilliehachimuralarsen/)

heinnews got a chance to talk with Gonzaga’s assistant coach and international scouting guru Tommy Lloyd and get an update on the Zags’ trio from France, Japan and Denmark, respectively.
Killian Tillie – Has really helped us this season…and has probably exceeded expectations overall, especially since he didn’t play or practice last season because of a knee injury. He started out a little slow because he was a little rusty and physically weak. But, he really picked up in mid-October once he got some consistent practice time.

His feel for the game and instincts have really stood out. He’s been shooting the ball very well from the perimeter and his ability to make plays off the ball (offensive rebounds, defensive rotations etc) have made a significant impact on our team. We are really excited for his future…and feel with some additional strength, body mass and time spent polishing his skills that he will be an elite-level player before his Gonzaga career is finished.

Rui Hachimura – He has grown at least 1-inch and put on 20 lbs since he arrived in May. As a player, he is gaining valuable experience learning how to practice hard and play with intensity on a daily basis.

He’s had to kind of re-learn how to be a basketball player because in Japan growing up he was always the center of the game and everything was built around him. Here he’s had to learn how to move without the ball and play off his teammates. He’s learning how to do the little things that make the team game flow better.

He’s playing both the 3 and the 4 at the moment … but his long-term position will be at the 3. We are working with him daily on the skills that will be required to be a full-time perimeter player.

All that being said, Rui has made huge progress and we feel it’s only a matter of time until he makes his presence on the court felt consistently. We have big plans for Rui in the future … and are excited to watch him grow on a daily basis.

Jacob Larsen – Unfortunately, he suffered a season-ending knee injury in our fourth practice. But, we are very, very excited with what he brings to the table long-term.

In his four or five weeks we got to work with him, he showed tremendous growth and potential. He was a little rusty as well after having sat out last season, but his understanding of the game and unique skill-set were really starting to shine through before the injury.

He actually got injured on a drive from the top of the key where he tried to dunk on a crowd … but had an unfortunate landing. It’s our hope and belief that Jacob will be the next European Big from Gonzaga who is an elite player.

Zagger
04-14-2017, 08:09 PM
Rui's going to be one heck of an exciting Zag to watch next season. He was exciting this season with limited court time. The Kennel's gonna be a rocking! I sure hope I get to KITK 2017. I'm super jazzed to see the swagger of the post Final Four Zags :)