PDA

View Full Version : I just watched the two Final Four Games over

Reborn
04-14-2017, 02:39 PM
I'm so glad that I saved these games. I feel sorry for those fans who either didn't record them or did record them and then deleted the game. These are great games. These are the best games in the history of GU basketball. Hall of Fame games. The National Championship game was a classic heavyweight game. The game was much much better than I ever thought. The first half was beautifully played. I loved the pace. Our Zags showed UNC that we could run with them., I love it when we play fast. We were clearly the better team in the first half. The start of the 2nd half was a nightmere for me....with Perkins, and actually the whole team, coming out half-time with no intensity at all. If there is one constant that I have of Few's teams over all these years is that sometimes they come out of halftime with absolutely no intensity. On the other hand, UNC came out with 100% intensity and completely surprised the Zags and the Zags were like in total shock. UNC ran off to a 5 point lead as they scored 7 or 8 straight points. Few called a time out and got the team back on track and from that point on it was a great, great game.

The second half was a total all-out war. Two great teams fighting it out to the end like a great heavyweight fight that it was. It was a tough game to ref because it was so physical. I mean it WAS a heavy weight fight. But honestly, there were some really tough calls on the Zags that kept us in foul trouble the whole second half. Collins got his 3rd one minute after he came into the game in 2nd half. And then he picked up his 4th 4 minutes later. And rode the bench almost the whole 2nd half, and when he did enter the game he picked up his 5th one minute later. There were questionable calls. But in the end the one call that killed the zags was when their center put his hands out of bounds on the lose ball after an attempted offensive rebound with 40 seconds left in game. Ref gives the ball to UNC and they score and up 3 with 20 some seconds left.

the other thing that really hurt the Zags was NWG respraining his ankle with a minute something to go when he and his defender got tangled up and then the tweek to the ankle. When NWG tweeked his ankle I did believe it was over. I thought it was our fate. And he missed his last two shots.

I am glad I have these games. That was a great game even though we lost. I'll always enjoy seeing it. and the introduction and intro to the game was fabulous. Man we almost did it. Man we finally made it to the Final Four....And I've got the games to prove it.

The So Caroline also was GREAT AND EXCITING what two great games by the champs of the WCC.

gonzagafan62
04-14-2017, 03:01 PM
Man I wish I was right there watching with you bornie.

I also saved the games. Intros I agree were also great. I'll never get rid of these games. Very fun to watch. I also still have all the 2015 and 2016 games. I would still have the 2014 games if I knew what i was doing when I first had directv.

Anyways thanks for your insight. Very fun to read

Go zags!

demian
04-14-2017, 03:03 PM
I'm so glad that I saved these games. I feel sorry for those fans who either didn't record them or did record them and then deleted the game. These are great games. These are the best games in the history of GU basketball. Hall of Fame games. The National Championship game was a classic heavyweight game. The game was much much better than I ever thought. The first half was beautifully played. I loved the pace. Our Zags showed UNC that we could run with them., I love it when we play fast. We were clearly the better team in the first half. The start of the 2nd half was a nightmere for me....with Perkins, and actually the whole team, coming out half-time with no intensity at all. If there is one constant that I have of Few's teams over all these years is that sometimes they come out of halftime with absolutely no intensity. On the other hand, UNC came out with 100% intensity and completely surprised the Zags and the Zags were like in total shock. UNC ran off to a 5 point lead as they scored 7 or 8 straight points. Few called a time out and got the team back on track and from that point on it was a great, great game.

The second half was a total all-out war. Two great teams fighting it out to the end like a great heavyweight fight that it was. It was a tough game to ref because it was so physical. I mean it WAS a heavy weight fight. But honestly, there were some really tough calls on the Zags that kept us in foul trouble the whole second half. Collins got his 3rd one minute after he came into the game in 2nd half. And then he picked up his 4th 4 minutes later. And rode the bench almost the whole 2nd half, and when he did enter the game he picked up his 5th one minute later. There were questionable calls. But in the end the one call that killed the zags was when their center put his hands out of bounds on the lose ball after an attempted offensive rebound with 40 seconds left in game. Ref gives the ball to UNC and they score and up 3 with 20 some seconds left.

the other thing that really hurt the Zags was NWG respraining his ankle with a minute something to go when he and his defender got tangled up and then the tweek to the ankle. When NWG tweeked his ankle I did believe it was over. I thought it was our fate. And he missed his last two shots.

I am glad I have these games. That was a great game even though we lost. I'll always enjoy seeing it. and the introduction and intro to the game was fabulous. Man we almost did it. Man we finally made it to the Final Four....And I've got the games to prove it.

The So Caroline also was GREAT AND EXCITING what two great games by the champs of the WCC.

I rewatched the North Carolina game the other night. I literally wanted to vomit after watching it. The jump ball call by the reff who was standing RIGHT NEXT to Kennedy Meeks and Silas Melson on the baseline RIGHT WHERE MEEKS HAND IS CLEARLY on the line while touching the ball (with Melson, hence the jump ball call). That was really a tough call to overcome. We got the defensive stop we needed to get. NWG was starting to really kill UNC down the stretch. It seemed like had we gotten the ball after that failed possession by UNC I think Goss comes down and scores again. Oh well coulda woulda shoulda. Another detrimental play to the outcome was after Goss went on an absolute tear down the stretch offensively to give us a two point lead late in the game. I noticed on a handful of possessions back to back to back on defense Goss and someone else (I cant remember who, might have been Melson) were guarding Justin Jackson. Jackson would start the possession down at the low block and then the player at the elbow of free throw line would come down to low block to screen Jacksons defender at low block and Jackson would flash to the wing. I noticed that the GU defenders would start the defensive position on the top side of Jackson. basically standing in front of Jackson with there back facing the point guard and there chest facing towards Jackson and the sideline. What the hell kind of defensive positioning is that. That is just piss poor. Like I said it happened at least three times down the stretch where I saw a GU defender align like that and sure enough Jackson picked up on it, on the play he got his 3 point play "and one" basket to give UNC the lead for good. He did exactly what he should have done, he recognized his defender was NOT in the most elementary of defensive alignments (remember your 1st grade basketball coach teaching proper defensive position is "between your man and the basket and be able to see your man and the ball"). Our defenders WERE NOT IN THAT ELEMENTARY LEVEL POSITION. Jackson gave a slight fake like he was going to go off the screen and flash to the wing and NWG slightly leaned that way to jump through the assumed screen but instead Jackson flashed straight to the basket and the passer knew he was going to do it and hit him with a nice lob style pass right to Jackson for basically a WIDE OPEN layin at the most crucial time of the game. That was a crucial point because we were up 2 points at the time and WE NEVER SCORED AGAIN.

I also rewatched the West Virginia game this week. WHAT AN AMAZING GAME. Very cool game. So intense and so exciting. Unreal.

I will probabaly rewatch the South Carolina game this weekend

On a side note I immediately deleted the UNC game right after I rewatched it cuz I was so mad. lol haha. Great season though. Great team. So many great memories.

Thanks players and coaches for the great journey you gave us

CDC84
04-14-2017, 03:44 PM
I watched the first game and loved it. I watched the first half against UNC and loved it. Can't watch the 2nd half of the UNC game yet.

The whole darn thing was exciting and very cool. I didn't see all the pre-game stuff on CBS, so I got to watch that for the 1st time.

The only thing about the final 4 that has changed that I don't like: The announcing of the starting lineups. That used to be handled by the long time announcer of the Baylor Bears. They used to have a cool tradition of the point guard of one team being announced, and then the point guard of the other team being announced. The two shook hands at center court. On down the line. With the stadium lights on. I thought that was unique and totally cool and in the spirit of true amateur athletics. No Las Vegas laser lights. No players acting like they are Roman Gladiator Hip Hop Artists, flexing their biceps and dancing in front of fake looking fans and cheerleaders.

I preferred the old way.

GrizZAG
04-14-2017, 04:07 PM
The "Luck" part Mark Few references occasionally certainly was not there in terms of officiating on our last game. Lots of blown calls and questionable ones both ways but we lost in the lottery of favor.

Reborn
04-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Here are some of my impressions:

1. I really liked the arena, the setting for the game. Can you imagine playing if front of 70 + fans? The lay-our was beautiful. There didn't seem to be a bad seat.

2. I was so impressed with the GU fans, and especially the students. The cameras showed them a number of times, and I don't remember them showing the UNC fans. It was great to see so many GU fans. Beautiful. Thank you all for going and supporting our Zags.

3. It was so great to have a Final 4 in Arizona, which is out West. I remember when I first saw the the Final 4 was going to be in Arizona, I really had a feeling that we could win. I have always wanted to play a team like UNC or Duke or Kansas or Kentucky out West. And we certainly had a chance to win that game, and that would have been great. But is was great to make it to the championship game.

4. It was great to have Rafferty be one of the analyst for the game. I love the way he does that. I love his voice, and I love his expressions that make the game come alive.

5 I thought it was so cool that 3 out of the 4 teams in the Final 4 were teams who had not made it there before. Ooops. Oregon made it in '57 I think. haha It was neat that we got further than Oregon, the Pac 12 champion. I kept thinking about all the stuff Bill Walton said about the WCC and Gonzaga. And of course what he had to say about the Pac 12. I think it was awesome that the two teams in the finals were 2 of the number one seeds. The match up was awesome I think. Probably the best men's basketball program in the USA, and the little Gonzaga from the WCC, the team so many thought could never make it to the Final 4. I thought it was just great that So. Carolina made it to the Final 4 too. I have always liked Frank Martin. Just really cool, and a great story. the games in the Final 4 were all great, close, hard fought games. It was just purely awesome to see player after player layin it all out on the court. And it was great to see that the four teams who made it were all really good defensive teams.

5. The two guys who stood out to me were NWG and J Mathews. J Mathews really found his shot in the NCAA Tournament. Game after game he nailed some awesome three pointers. And NWG was just really playing like a first team All-American. What a leader. What a player. For me he was the MVP of the Final 4.

6. All year long I felt the Zags could play with anyone in the country. I watch a lot of basketball, and see most of the really good teams a number of times. I was confident this year that the Zags really would or could make it to the Final 4. It was so neat to see it HAPPEN. It's one thing to think it can happen, and another to SEE it happen.

7. I will never forget how my two sons and I cheered as the buzzer went off after the Xavier game. I think that that's the happiest that we have ever been when we were together. I watched the NCAA tournament with my sons almost every year. They are now 44 and 43, so we have watched a lot of them. I easily remember all the heart aches and at times tears. I remember the anger at times (like after the Wichita loss). I was so mad that I yelled that I was going to burn all my Zag gear. The grand kids were crying. The 3 of us have never ever given up on one day seeing our dream come true, and when it finally did it was just so awesome (a few tears are now falling down my cheeks as I remember that moment). And it just felt so awesome to be with them and watch each Final 4 game. And when we beat So. Carolina it was another great moment with them, just to imagine we were in the finals and could possibly be national champs. Who ever thought it would one day maybe come true. Were going to keep on believing and keep on cheering. We Walters are the best fans in the world, and when the grand kids are added we are unstoppable. hahaha hahaha Hope to do it all again soon. thank you Zags!!!

rennis
04-17-2017, 06:56 AM
I haven't been able to watch it yet. I will soon, but haven't been able to do it quite yet. I'm still getting over the loss, and it's taking a long time. I think it's more about the loss of this season and the magic ride being over than it is about the loss to UNC.