PDA

View Full Version : One and Not Done

Zagceo
04-14-2017, 09:29 AM
Watched it last night ESPN 30 for 30.......Zag fans may be going through the one and done blues interesting history if nothing else.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/john-clay/article144032034.html

Early in the documentary, Calipari says he talked Camby out of staying at UMass, since he was going to be a top pick in the NBA draft.Calipari, in old footage: "(Camby said) 'I want to get my degree.' I said 'Wait a minute, you're online. You can come back in the summer and get your degree, if that's what you really want to do.' 'Well, I want to win a title.' 'That's about us, not about you.'"
In other words, make the best decision for you. Later in the documentary, Calipari did the same for DeMarcus Cousins and Jamal Murray. The point was clear: Calipari wants his kids to go to college and get paid. This is about getting his players a job after school, not about bringing back players to try to win championships for the college program.

According to the documentary, former Memphis star Dajuan Wagner wanted to return to the Tigers after his freshman season.Calipari was having none of it. He called Wagner to his office and tore up his scholarship, telling him he would be a lottery pick and that he had to put his name in the draft. Sure enough, Wagner was a lottery pick for the Cleveland Cavaliers and made $7.4 million off his rookie deal.
That was big: Wagner was diagnosed with colitis after his third season and needed surgery to remove his colon, ending his NBA career. If he had stayed at Memphis, he likely would not have ever played in the league.

LINK (http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball/index.ssf/2017/04/john_calipari_30_for_30_10_thi.html)

JAGzag
04-14-2017, 09:35 AM
Damnit. I thought this would be good news about NWG!

gonzagafan62
04-14-2017, 09:40 AM
I watched the 30 for 30 last night. First 5 minutes were tremendous. I thought we were going to get more light on the sanctions than anything (along with one and domes)

I was very frustrated that they turned it into a great picture of coach cal. I fell asleep an hour into it because I became disinterested.....

He did do some great things and I'm glad they showed them. I didn't want all bad. I wanted a mix.

MDABE80
04-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Quite the"showman". I didn't watch but I'm wondering if UMass or Memphis was mentioned and his antics at both?

JPtheBeasta
04-14-2017, 10:17 AM
Damnit. I thought this would be good news about NWG!

Haha. I thought about that, too. But then I remembered that it was the name of the Calipari documentary I just watched. I still held a glimmer of hope though :)

It was a timely documentary for me and actually made me feel better about the waters that GU finds itself in now.

JPtheBeasta
04-14-2017, 10:21 AM
Quite the"showman". I didn't watch but I'm wondering if UMass or Memphis was mentioned and his antics at both?

All of the above. Included his stint with the Nets and was fairly current with his Kentucky career. It's worth watching unless Calipari evokes too much of a visceral reaction, which I would understand.

CDC84
04-14-2017, 10:24 AM
Calipari is known for doing this. Same thing with Rick Pitino at Louisville. I mean, look at Coach Cal's website:

http://www.coachcal.com/about-cal/

His site looks like he's some sort of business tycoon more than the basketball coach at Kentucky.

He can afford to write a book about "coaching extreme talent" because he can snap his fingers and have recruits report to Lexington immediately.