PDA

View Full Version : Payton Pritchard

Ebay
04-13-2017, 02:03 PM
Heard from an Oregon contact that Pritchard may be seeking a transfer due to issues getting along with Altman. Went to their forum and saw the transfer speculation posted(although some posters are quick to deny). Still worth posting here though. I know we were on his final list. Could make for a nice PG replacement after his transfer/redshirt season. He's a gamer. Hope he'd look at us and vice versa if he does decide to leave Oregon.

MDABE80
04-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Now there's a great player. I do not know why the two wouldn't get along great. Unless you're a felon, Dana's an easy guy to work with.

Bogozags
04-13-2017, 04:29 PM
Now there's a great player. I do not know why the two wouldn't get along great. Unless you're a felon, Dana's an easy guy to work with.

Are we ready for another bet? :)

Coach Crazy
04-13-2017, 04:55 PM
Payton Pritchard is OKG. Worth a spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDABE80
04-13-2017, 05:22 PM
Are we ready for another bet? :)

Not with what we know so far. Love to have him though~

zagsfanforlife
04-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Payton Pritchard, Reid Travis, Chase Jeter or Carlton Bragg.

Lets Get them three. Done. Just did Mark Fews job for him

Coach Crazy
04-13-2017, 06:02 PM
Payton Pritchard, Reid Travis, Chase Jeter or Carlton Bragg.

Lets Get them three. Done. Just did Mark Fews job for him

Since everyone clearly asked for my opinion, I'm all in for Pritchard, Bragg, and Jeter. Get that and barring a lack of chemistry or injury...that 2018 team would wreck everyone. Everyone.

maynard g krebs
04-13-2017, 06:09 PM
Don't get me wrong, as a secondary Duck fan I love Pritchard. But this would put him in the same class as Wade, and defensively you could play them together v the WCC, but not v high major competition for long stretches. I don't think either would want to be a backup as an upperclassman. I'm an offense first guy, but that's just not a good enough defensive pairing.

zagsfanforlife
04-13-2017, 06:21 PM
Since everyone clearly asked for my opinion, I'm all in for Pritchard, Bragg, and Jeter. Get that and barring a lack of chemistry or injury...that 2018 team would wreck everyone. Everyone.

39-0

Zagdawg
04-13-2017, 06:24 PM
That would be amazing if Pritchard were to become a Zag.

MDABE80
04-13-2017, 06:26 PM
Don't get me wrong, as a secondary Duck fan I love Pritchard. But this would put him in the same class as Wade, and defensively you could play them together v the WCC, but not v high major competition for long stretches. I don't think either would want to be a backup as an upperclassman. I'm an offense first guy, but that's just not a good enough defensive pairing.

you're CORRECT. NOT LARGE ENOUGH TO DEFEND BUT THOSE TWO WOULD PUT BIG POINTS UP.......IN THE WCC. NOT WITH THE LONG ARMED BOUNCY DEFENDERS WE SEE IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT. I sure like both kids though.

zagsfanforlife
04-13-2017, 06:29 PM
you're CORRECT. NOT LARGE ENOUGH TO DEFEND BUT THOSE TWO WOULD PUT BIG POINTS UP.......IN THE WCC. NOT WITH THE LONG ARMED BOUNCY DEFENDERS WE SEE IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT. I sure like both kids though.

Still have Kispert and Norvell and Rui who are all 6'5+

maynard g krebs
04-13-2017, 06:36 PM
Still have Kispert and Norvell and Rui who are all 6'5+

Point is that they'd be in the same class, and both are 4 yr players who really can't play together for long stretches v top competition. One at a time on the floor for the most part, and I doubt either would be happy being a sub-20 minute backup as a sr.

zagsfanforlife
04-13-2017, 06:37 PM
Point is that they'd be in the same class, and both are 4 yr players who really can't play together for long stretches v top competition. One at a time on the floor for the most part, and I doubt either would be happy being a sub-20 minute backup as a sr.

Not sure Pritchard is a 4 year guy

CDC84
04-13-2017, 07:35 PM
The problem with this kid is that he isn't really a PG. But he isn't a prolific scorer like you like to see in a shooting guard. He was regarded by some college basketball analysts as the weakness on Oregon's roster. I know GU recruited him, but he is not to be confused with NWG.

He's a talented player, though. That's the problem. He could really use a redshirt season to define his position.

bigblahla
04-13-2017, 07:41 PM
IMO ....we have better talent on the roster and currently being recruited...

Go!! Zags!!!

Coach Crazy
04-13-2017, 07:53 PM
Payton has a USG% at 15.1 and an AST% in the 20's. At 6'2" 200, he may not be as tall, but he has the potential to work very well in a two-guard Gonzaga rotation. Even shooting at a 35% clip from 3.

cggonzaga
04-13-2017, 07:58 PM
I liked Payton out of high school and wanted him then. Now I'm fine without him. He's a tough kid and good player but I wasn't thoroughly impressed by his play this past season. I'd rather have a more talented player like Brandon Williams.

Coach Crazy
04-13-2017, 08:04 PM
I liked Payton out of high school and wanted him then. Now I'm fine without him. He's a tough kid and good player but I wasn't thoroughly impressed by his play this past season. I'd rather have a more talented player like Brandon Williams.

I agree. I am also ok with depth, however. And a kid like Payton isn't coming here unless he is willing to play within that framework. People tend to forget that J3 didn't do well with the situation he was in. Payton seems to be a Mark Few-type guard. And this system seems to make players better defenders. As he currently stands, he's in the same realm of value as Josh Perkins.

ZagaZags
04-13-2017, 08:36 PM
39-0

California, BYU and North Carolina ruined the quest for 40-0. Maybe next year.

WallaWallaZag
04-13-2017, 10:06 PM
California, BYU and North Carolina ruined the quest for 40-0. Maybe next year.

california???

zagsfanforlife
04-13-2017, 10:07 PM
california???

I must have missed that one too. Was i hanging out with Bill Walton?

ZagaZags
04-13-2017, 10:21 PM
california???

Didn't Gonzaga have California on the schedule for the 2016-2017 season? I'm pretty sure California backed out of the game after Jordan Mathews transferred. GU couldn't find a replacement game. Hence 40-0. If it wasn't Cal, it was someone. GU should have played 40 games this season.

31 game season.

3 games WCC

6 games NCAA

31+3+6 = 40

North Carolina played 40 games. 33-7.

sittingon50
04-13-2017, 11:08 PM
I think San Diego St. replaced Cal, IIRC.

CDC84
04-14-2017, 12:31 AM
Didn't Gonzaga have California on the schedule for the 2016-2017 season? I'm pretty sure California backed out of the game after Jordan Mathews transferred. GU couldn't find a replacement game. Hence 40-0. If it wasn't Cal, it was someone. GU should have played 40 games this season.

31 game season.

3 games WCC

6 games NCAA

31+3+6 = 40

Gonzaga is supposed to play Cal next season at the Kennel as the first part of a home and home. I don't know if that was contingent on Martin staying as coach, however. They play at SDSU next season to complete that series. GU found a replacement game for Cal this year....not sure who it was.

GU has to be careful with its home and homes in the future. It's gotta be Michigan State, Wisconsin....those types of schools. Teams that are almost guaranteed of making the NCAA's every single season. Home and homes are tougher and tougher to schedule now due to conference expansion and all of the (and too many) made for TV neutral court games. Don't get me wrong....I like some of the neutral court affairs.....but there is nothing better than seeing Kansas playing at Michigan and it having nothing to do with some conference vs. conference set up. Just two teams playing at each others floors. Way more excitement on campus.

TexasZagFan
04-14-2017, 04:57 AM
Gonzaga is supposed to play Cal next season at the Kennel as the first part of a home and home. I don't know if that was contingent on Martin staying as coach, however. They play at SDSU next season to complete that series. GU found a replacement game for Cal this year....not sure who it was.

GU has to be careful with its home and homes in the future. It's gotta be Michigan State, Wisconsin....those types of schools. Teams that are almost guaranteed of making the NCAA's every single season. Home and homes are tougher and tougher to schedule now due to conference expansion and all of the (and too many) made for TV neutral court games. Don't get me wrong....I like some of the neutral court affairs.....but there is nothing better than seeing Kansas playing at Michigan and it having nothing to do with some conference vs. conference set up. Just two teams playing at each others floors. Way more excitement on campus.

Perhaps a home and home with Baylor or SMU? I'd like to see our series continue with Tennessee. I've got my compass out...I'm up for anything within an 800 mile radius of Dallas.

thespywhozaggedme
04-14-2017, 06:10 AM
PP's a poor mans Pangos; not a true pg and not tall or athletic enough to be an sg. He was over hyped coming outta high school. Pass.

TheGonzagaFactor
04-14-2017, 06:34 AM

31 game season.

3 games WCC

6 games NCAA

31+3+6 = 40

San Diego St. replaced Cal. The cancellation of the Cal series was announced along with the addition of SDSU.

If GU had decided to play a team from the Advocare Invitational outside of Orlando it would have given us a 40th game. I believe UNC got the extra game because they played Tennessee (who was in Maui with them).

CDC84
04-14-2017, 10:49 AM
The team I'd like to see GU reach out to is Kansas. Maybe not next year, but the year after for a home and home. I know that Self said no to Wichita State, but that really had to do with other things than WSU's conference affiliation. He didn't want the humiliation of his team losing to an in state team that might beat team. Marshall isn't the easiest guy to get along with either.

GU has had home and homes with Arizona, UCLA and Michigan State at this point. It's time to try someone else, although I would love GU to play the first two teams every year because of the travel convenience. Kansas is 1500 miles from GU. It's better than playing someone from the east coast from a travel perspective. I also like the idea of doing a home and home with Wisconsin because like Gonzaga, they make the NCAA tournament every single season.

I hate to say this, but the SDSU game has now become a high risk/low reward game. A team of GU's stature needs to avoid those type of games at all costs. Viejas Arena is one of the nastiest arenas in the nation to play in, but unless an amazing transformation takes place, I don't see how the Aztecs are going to be any good next season. You know that place will be rocking with the national title runner ups coming to town....and a west coast team at that.

SeaTown Zag
04-14-2017, 02:30 PM
Heard from an Oregon contact that Pritchard may be seeking a transfer due to issues getting along with Altman. Went to their forum and saw the transfer speculation posted(although some posters are quick to deny). Still worth posting here though. I know we were on his final list. Could make for a nice PG replacement after his transfer/redshirt season. He's a gamer. Hope he'd look at us and vice versa if he does decide to leave Oregon.

Can you tell us all your source Ebay?

FroZAG
04-14-2017, 02:50 PM
Not wanting to be overly negative, just honest.
In total I watched about 100 to 150 minutes of Oregon games this season, which isn't much. But during that time I saw Pritchard do, really nothing. Especially in the Tourney.
I think we've evolved past him. I don't see him making us better.

I think we should aim higher. Our brand is hot and our roster has talent with few openings. Now isn't a time to settle.

And after seeing the way his teammates shouted at him a couple times for missing big shots, my conspiracy theory is that it's not the coach who he doesn't get along with. That's Altman taking one for his guys who are gonna stay. Just a guess.

DukeSilver
04-14-2017, 04:44 PM
Pritchard is a high-level player, IMHO. Assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.52 as a freshman is exceptional. Could improve as a scorer, but that might be due to system fit. Could also stand to bulk up a bit, but that can obviously be a focus of his redshirt year.

I'd take a long look at him, if he is indeed transferring.

maynard g krebs
04-14-2017, 07:31 PM
Not wanting to be overly negative, just honest.
In total I watched about 100 to 150 minutes of Oregon games this season, which isn't much. But during that time I saw Pritchard do, really nothing. Especially in the Tourney.
I think we've evolved past him. I don't see him making us better.

I think we should aim higher. Our brand is hot and our roster has talent with few openings. Now isn't a time to settle.

And after seeing the way his teammates shouted at him a couple times for missing big shots, my conspiracy theory is that it's not the coach who he doesn't get along with. That's Altman taking one for his guys who are gonna stay. Just a guess.

Nobody's gonna stay. 6 of the top 7 are either graduating, transferring or going pro (only Bell hasn't announced, but assuming he will).

But 4 games in Pritchard replaced Benson, a junior who started all year as a soph on an elite 8 team and led the nation in a/to ratio. And you don't make a final 4 with a weak link in the starting lineup. He did well as a fr and imo he'll only get better.

However, there's nothing on either of the 2 main Duck boards about this, so at this point I'm just taking it as a rumor with no substantiation. Altman obviously likes him enough that it was worth it to him to lose Benson.

FroZAG
04-16-2017, 05:33 PM
But 4 games in Pritchard replaced Benson, a junior who started all year as a soph on an elite 8 team and led the nation in a/to ratio. And you don't make a final 4 with a weak link in the starting lineup. He did well as a fr and imo he'll only get better.

Very good point

OntZags
04-16-2017, 06:34 PM
I like Pritchard and think he could be a solid fit but I think I'd prefer to look elsewhere. Perkins still has potentially two years remaining, Wade & Norvell are probably 4 year guys in the backcourt and Gonzaga is in hard on Brandon Williams who has higher upside. (amongst others) I like him but I think finding him minutes might be tough. (while keeping everyone that they've committed to happy as well)

If NWG leaves I'd rather they go the grad transfer route and get a more experienced guy that is less of a scholarship commitment & recruit some higher end talent for the future.

One name I haven't seen bandied about is Marial Shayok from Virginia. He's not gonna blow anyone away but he's a tough kid who was well coached in Virginia. Good size and very strong defender/athlete. Solid in a supporting scoring role. Doesn't turn over the ball over too much and could help ease pressure on Josh a bit while still allowing Josh to be the primary ball handler should Nigel leave. Also high time they started restocking the Canadian cupboard too. :)

WallaWallaZag
04-17-2017, 09:19 PM
One name I haven't seen bandied about is Marial Shayok from Virginia. He's not gonna blow anyone away but he's a tough kid who was well coached in Virginia. Good size and very strong defender/athlete. Solid in a supporting scoring role. Doesn't turn over the ball over too much and could help ease pressure on Josh a bit while still allowing Josh to be the primary ball handler should Nigel leave. Also high time they started restocking the Canadian cupboard too. :)

good player, but i don't think shayok is a grad transfer...would have to sit out a year.

MDABE80
04-17-2017, 10:21 PM
If Nigel leaves, we need to find a really good, solid point guard. No ifs, ands or buts............