PDA

View Full Version : Latest Draft Board from ESPN

SageOfZagville
04-13-2017, 07:58 AM
Can anyone with insider tell us where Zach lands on this draft board.

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/19138112/chad-ford-nba-draft-2017-big-board-50-ranking-markelle-fultz-lonzo-ball-more

tinfoilzag
04-13-2017, 08:04 AM
12. Zach Collins

Previous rank: No. 14
Gonzaga
Freshman
Center

Collins quietly put together one of the best freshman seasons in college basketball. That he did it coming off the bench at Gonzaga kept him under the radar for a while, but by mid-February, scouts began to fall in love with him as a potential lottery pick.

His strong play in the NCAA tournament didn't raise his draft stock a lot -- he was ranked No. 13 before the tournament and No. 12 after it on our Big Board -- but it did solidify his placement.

Pallet
04-13-2017, 09:35 AM
12-14 makes a lot of sense to me. Collings looks like a great fit in Denver with Jokic.

Zagricultural
04-13-2017, 02:53 PM
I still think he may be making a mistake, but man am I excited for him! Here's hoping he turns into a bonafide super-star!

Zag_Dad
04-13-2017, 03:01 PM
I still think he may be making a mistake, but man am I excited for him! Here's hoping he turns into a bonafide super-star!

I don't get the "I think he's making a mistake" sentiment. What is that based on? He won't be a starter right away? He's not physically developed yet? He has a lot to learn?

The league will develop him while he's cashing paychecks. As much as I would have loved to see him return, I just can't justify opining that "he's making a mistake".

Ezag
04-13-2017, 03:43 PM
If you're guaranteed 1st round money, I don't think that is a mistake

deathchina
04-13-2017, 03:51 PM
Too many people expecting Zach to make a decision they themselves would't make. To pass up their dream job and guaranteed millions. How many of you can honestly say you would stay in school?

tinfoilzag
04-13-2017, 03:55 PM
It's almost guaranteed that a representative from one (or more) of the lottery teams told Zach "if you are available, we will draft you".

At that point, the Collins' camp had enough info to make an informed decision to declare.

TravelinZag
04-13-2017, 04:09 PM
Assuming the ESPN Draft Board is accurate, and that he played another year at least as well as this season, was not injured, and was a "lottery pick" the following year, what is a reasonable estimate of the dollars he would be foregoing? From that sum, deduct his earnings of zero over the next year. Is that difference worth the risk of injury, and the unknowable factors that could affect his value. Seems to me, a number 12 pick is not easy to pass on, given the risk. Three other points: 1. the ESPN board, or any other projection is just a guess; 2. until he signs with an agent, he can change his mind; and 3. none of us knows the whole story.

He is a great athlete and young man. I will delight in hearing what life holds in store for him, wish him the very best, respect his decision, and am very grateful for what he gave the Zags, and all of us this year. Thanks, too, for the memories which will endure in more people than Zach will ever know. Always a Zag!

dhozagfan08
04-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Assuming the ESPN Draft Board is accurate, and that he played another year at least as well as this season, was not injured, and was a "lottery pick" the following year, what is a reasonable estimate of the dollars he would be foregoing? From that sum, deduct his earnings of zero over the next year. Is that difference worth the risk of injury, and the unknowable factors that could affect his value. Seems to me, a number 12 pick is not easy to pass on, given the risk. Three other points: 1. the ESPN board, or any other projection is just a guess; 2. until he signs with an agent, he can change his mind; and 3. none of us knows the whole story.

He is a great athlete and young man. I will delight in hearing what life holds in store for him, wish him the very best, respect his decision, and am very grateful for what he gave the Zags, and all of us this year. Thanks, too, for the memories which will endure in more people than Zach will ever know. Always a Zag!
Any chance there was to have him change his mind is gone, imo. He has gotten so much heat that now he wants to prove everyone wrong. He gone!

MDABE80
04-13-2017, 04:20 PM
I don't know why we're spending time on this anymore. he's gone. No doubt. Has little to do with Zag basketball anymore. The biggest factor is his head. He's made up his mind to go pro. It's like a girlfriend who leaves the city you live in and then says" I was planning it anyway. SO long. I got a better offer". Whine all you want. You had a nice year with her but she's got eyes on something else and she's told you that. So be it. Cheer him next year when he's a pro. Be happy for his $3,000,000 (I do love those zeros). There's a reason (the guys who play here) the teammates aren't going will with hearty congrats. He had a decent year but his upside is thought to be NBA worthy. I agree. finis.

We have other business to attend to.
Sorry for the directness on this. It's the way it is though.....sadly enough.

MontanaCoyote
04-13-2017, 08:28 PM
I don't know why we're spending time on this anymore. he's gone. No doubt. Has little to do with Zag basketball anymore. The biggest factor is his head. He's made up his mind to go pro. It's like a girlfriend who leaves the city you live in and then says" I was planning it anyway. SO long. I got a better offer". Whine all you want. You had a nice year with her but she's got eyes on something else and she's told you that. So be it. Cheer him next year when he's a pro. Be happy for his $3,000,000 (I do love those zeros). There's a reason (the guys who play here) the teammates aren't going will with hearty congrats. He had a decent year but his upside is thought to be NBA worthy. I agree. finis.

We have other business to attend to.
Sorry for the directness on this. It's the way it is though.....sadly enough.

I agree. Hope he does well. I'll miss watching him play, though, because I won't watch the pros. I think for Zach it was over before he was gone. Had his mind made up from the get go. Time for us to move on.

GeorgiaZagFan
04-13-2017, 08:43 PM

I still believe that Tim Duncan, by staying all 4 years, was MUCH better in the NBA because he was able to develop both physically and mentally without the pressure and the rigor of an NBA schedule. ..and I am pretty sure that during the course of the NBA season they don't have the kind of practice that a young player needs to develop.

Hoopaholic
04-13-2017, 09:13 PM
Too many people expecting Zach to make a decision they themselves would't make. To pass up their dream job and guaranteed millions. How many of you can honestly say you would stay in school?

I didn't..left Gonzaga early to take my dream job after landing 1 on the Seattle police entry exam ....now my entry hourly wage was missing slot of zeros. 6.19 was my per hour wage

I don't begrudge him just not convinced one more year would have increased his status...