PDA

View Full Version : Somebody please(!) crack the rotation code for me

tyra
04-13-2017, 04:50 AM
This is the time of year when I obsess over next year's starting lineup and rotation. Seems to me Coach always gets to an 8 player rotation (for real minutes). He did this year. My problem is I see 9 players next year (exclusive of a transfer!) who, based on everything we know, would be playing "regular rotation minutes". (Perkins, Wade, Norvell, Melton, Rui, Kispert, Killian, Williams, and Larsen). Will someone crack this code for me please so I can sleep. Has Few EVER run a 9 person regular minute rotation? Is there an obvious RS here? Is there someone in my 9 player list who obviously should not be there (at least right now)? Sleep is on the line my fellow posters! Thank you.

Birddog
04-13-2017, 05:06 AM
Patience Grssshopper.

TexasZagFan
04-13-2017, 05:15 AM
This is the time of year when I obsess over next year's starting lineup and rotation. Seems to me Coach always gets to an 8 player rotation (for real minutes). He did this year. My problem is I see 9 players next year (exclusive of a transfer!) who, based on everything we know, would be playing "regular rotation minutes". (Perkins, Wade, Norvell, Melton, Rui, Kispert, Killian, Williams, and Larsen). Will someone crack this code for me please so I can sleep. Has Few EVER run a 9 person regular minute rotation? Is there an obvious RS here? Is there someone in my 9 player list who obviously should not be there (at least right now)? Sleep is on the line my fellow posters! Thank you.

A nice glass of Riesling will help you get to sleep. You can buy a really good bottle of Piesporter Michelsberg Spatlese at most liquor stores, sometimes under $10. Almost the same quality (unless you're a connoisseur), but about a third of the price of name vineyards as Graach or Urzig.

We were really lucky in the injury department last year, let's hope it stays that way.

tinfoilzag
04-13-2017, 08:01 AM
As soon as the transfers start happening, it will be more confusing. It should start to clear up in October.

hooter73
04-13-2017, 08:48 AM
Transfers and injuries will make all the difference.

If/When NWG officially declares, then there is a lot of openings in the scholarship line, even if Jeremy Jones gets one. As far as it goes though, it'll have to be a grad transfer guard that would come in that could play right away. I dont see that happening though for the guards. With Perkins and Wade running it, Melson and Norvell would rotate as the shooting guards. The wing is a little more open with Kispert really the only traditional wing type player although I think most people envision seeing both Rui and Tillie there too ("play Harris at the wing!" --- NO!)

Again, we are going to see a transfer in, we just are. I think we need one more guard that can play this year for injury/depth rotation but five players for two spots leaves someone out more times than not.

The forwards I think are just fine as is imo. Sabonis and Wiltjer played just fine together as the twin tower forwards and no matter who comes in, I envision that type of thing again. Larsen will be able to stay in the paint against bangers, otherwise JIII, Larsen, Tillie and Rui will be able to cycle around and mismatch the heck out of people. We know Tillie has the recovery speed to block shots and we just arent playing against very many 260lbs true center types anymore. But I figure we'll see the staff bring someone in for safety's sake.

Zagceo
04-13-2017, 08:55 AM
A nice glass of Riesling will help you get to sleep. You can buy a really good bottle of Piesporter Michelsberg Spatlese at most liquor stores, sometimes under $10. Almost the same quality (unless you're a connoisseur), but about a third of the price of name vineyards as Graach or Urzig.

We were really lucky in the injury department last year, let's hope it stays that way.

Yeah......but Nike needs to get into the wind tunnel and design better sneakers that prevent that dreaded rollover effect.

Mr Vulture
04-13-2017, 09:16 AM

If/When NWG officially declares, then there is a lot of openings in the scholarship line, even if Jeremy Jones gets one. As far as it goes though, it'll have to be a grad transfer guard that would come in that could play right away. I dont see that happening though for the guards. With Perkins and Wade running it, Melson and Norvell would rotate as the shooting guards. The wing is a little more open with Kispert really the only traditional wing type player although I think most people envision seeing both Rui and Tillie there too ("play Harris at the wing!" --- NO!)

Again, we are going to see a transfer in, we just are. I think we need one more guard that can play this year for injury/depth rotation but five players for two spots leaves someone out more times than not.

The forwards I think are just fine as is imo. Sabonis and Wiltjer played just fine together as the twin tower forwards and no matter who comes in, I envision that type of thing again. Larsen will be able to stay in the paint against bangers, otherwise JIII, Larsen, Tillie and Rui will be able to cycle around and mismatch the heck out of people. We know Tillie has the recovery speed to block shots and we just arent playing against very many 260lbs true center types anymore. But I figure we'll see the staff bring someone in for safety's sake.

Unless NWG hires an agent, we have two scholarships available for next season. In all honesty, I think NWG is coming back when the dust clears. I highly doubt that Jeremy Jones get's a scholarship, even if NWG left....

Hoopaholic
04-13-2017, 09:26 AM

interesting concept

Not sold that you can take a graduate transfer at the point guard and instantly mold them to your system......difficult in my opinion

Also interesting that you have overlooked Jones....personally I would not discoount his impact on the wing

I personally think RUI is a solid 3 type of player

cggonzaga
04-13-2017, 11:02 AM

Just my opinion based on current roster (assuming Goss leaves)

PG: Perkins/Wade
SG: Melson/Wade/Norvell
SF: Norvell/Kispert/Rui
PF: J3/Tillie/Rui/Larsen

I don't see a true Center on the team next year. Maybe Larsen but I'm not convinced yet he's ready for major minutes. Would love to be wrong about that. Obviously this could change with a scholarship player or 2. At this time I think Rui is needed more at the 4 than the 3.

TexasZagFan
04-13-2017, 11:35 AM
Just my opinion based on current roster (assuming Goss leaves)

PG: Perkins/Wade
SG: Melson/Wade/Norvell
SF: Norvell/Kispert/Rui
PF: J3/Tillie/Rui/Larsen

I don't see a true Center on the team next year. Maybe Larsen but I'm not convinced yet he's ready for major minutes. Would love to be wrong about that. Obviously this could change with a scholarship player or 2. At this time I think Rui is needed more at the 4 than the 3.

Had me double counting there, friend!

Based on last year's formula, here's the initial rotation, though I'm far away from Zagland:

Guards (1-3): Perk, Silas, Norvell, Wade, Kispert

Bigs (4-5): J3, Tillie, Rui, Larsen

Many moves to come in the weeks and months ahead.

Zagdawg
04-13-2017, 12:48 PM
Add in Jones also-- plus 2-3 more options (if NWG is gone).