PDA

View Full Version : Alberts to Transfer

Zagdawg
04-12-2017, 07:28 PM
First I saw of this:

SWXRightNow Retweeted
eric sondheimer‏Verified account @latsondheimer 16m16 minutes ago
Bryan Alberts (Village Christian, Gonzaga) and Jordan Hill (La Salle, Wisconsin) are transferring. Hill will be grad student.

Kiddwell
04-12-2017, 07:33 PM
Has Bryan earned his undergrad degree? Seems like a great young man. Any info on where he's going. Hope things work out. God bless, Bryan.

:]

Coach Crazy
04-12-2017, 07:35 PM
First I saw of this:

SWXRightNow Retweeted
Bryan Alberts (Village Christian, Gonzaga) and Jordan Hill (La Salle, Wisconsin) are transferring. Hill will be grad student.

That makes two spots. I hope Bryan gets a chance to play wherever it is that he goes.

gonzagafan62
04-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Well this sucks. Wish him well.

thespywhozaggedme
04-12-2017, 07:47 PM
I really liked Alberts, he never complained was always a team player and whenever he got time to play more than held his on. He actually could be a quality starter on many programs in this country. I wish him well.

sittingon50
04-12-2017, 08:01 PM
Best of luck Bryan.

Always seemed like a terrific kid.

zagsfanforlife
04-12-2017, 08:04 PM
The more I saw of Alberts game, the more i was impressed. I have a feeling he will be a quality starter for a decent program. He can play.

Zagceo
04-12-2017, 08:04 PM
Good Luck.

Once a Zag always a Zag

whatazag
04-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Think he can be an impact player for many teams, had the unfortunate luck to show up at a peak of GU roster talent. Hope he is able to finish his degree so he can play right away somewhere. Good luck to him.

Hoopaholic
04-12-2017, 08:13 PM
First I saw of this:

SWXRightNow Retweeted

Always thought he could be a solid contributor

Best of luck and let it rip wherever you land

Grad transfer so can go make impact immediately somewhere

Zagdawg
04-12-2017, 08:44 PM
Jim Meehan‏ @SRJimm 2m2 minutes ago
Gonzaga sophomore guard Bryan Alberts confirms he is transferring. Expects to graduate this summer, will be eligible immediately

hooter73
04-12-2017, 08:50 PM
Alberts came in with a heck of a lot of other talented players and he even started at GU for a time. He's put up great numbers for his national team each summer. Not a huge surprise but I say good luck to him. He can hold his head high.

zagsfanforlife
04-12-2017, 09:02 PM
I find it interesting the reaction from former zag teammates. One he was very liked, and two they all know he can play and will contribute for another program. Sad to see him go

zagdontzig
04-12-2017, 09:17 PM
Well this sucks. Wish him well.

I feel like me outgrew him, but he was a great Zag. I wish him much success.

Outraged
04-12-2017, 09:42 PM
with the recent talk of graduation rates etc. This is ironic. Schools that excel at graduating them end up loosing them.

CDC84
04-12-2017, 10:09 PM
Was expected. I hope he picks a great school that will allow him to get lots of PT as a grad transfer.

Hoopaholic
04-12-2017, 10:17 PM
Was expected. I hope he picks a great school that will allow him to get lots of PT as a grad transfer.

Think he will get 2 years of playing time and a masters degree

ezcure17
04-12-2017, 10:19 PM
Does anyone think his decision was made due to the fact of maybe someone return for their sr year??? Hmmmm NWG?
Maybe it has something to do with it! Fingers crossed

CDC84
04-12-2017, 10:33 PM
Think he will get 2 years of playing time and a masters degree

Even better!!

ezcure17 = I just think he wants more playing time. Zach Norvell is a special talent who is going to jump right ahead of him next season. Corey possibly the same. Bryan could start at a place like Northern Arizona or Cal State Fullerton.

GoZags
04-12-2017, 10:41 PM
Does anyone think his decision was made due to the fact of maybe someone return for their sr year??? Hmmmm NWG?

Bryan knew from the start of the school year he'd be graduating in three years (including his summer schools) so transferring as a Grad Transfer and having 2 years to play (like Drew Barham had) was "the plan".

I wish him well .... he's an awesome Zag.

CodeCobalt
04-12-2017, 10:51 PM
Sad to see him go. He seems to love the game and will get quality starting time elsewhere, so I wish him the best and will follow where ever he goes. Graduating with 2 years of eligibility left? Very nice!

MDABE80
04-12-2017, 10:55 PM
Great guy. I'm thinking he'll do well in basketball in his next stop. Bright guy too. I'm wishing him the best of everything. He's got lots of talent. He just didn't get to show it with all the other great players surrounding him.

CDC84
04-12-2017, 11:05 PM
Bryan knew from the start of the school year he'd be graduating in three years (including his summer schools) so transferring as a Grad Transfer and having 2 years to play (like Drew Barham had) was "the plan".

I wish him well .... he's an awesome Zag.

+1. Never heard anything but great things about Alberts, and I still feel bad that injuries plagued him throughout his high school years. There is no doubt that it may have set back some of his development as a player. I hope nothing but the best for him.

ZagaZags
04-12-2017, 11:15 PM
I remember when Dorian Pickens (Stanford) was 3 days away from visiting Gonzaga. He cancelled his visit due to the fact Gonzaga told him they don't have a need for that position. 1-2 weeks later GU announced Bryan Alberts.

sittingon50
04-12-2017, 11:42 PM
Per KHQ this P.M. (if I heard the report correctly) they said Bryan's AAU Coach has reported interest from @ least 30 schools so far. Think they were all D1, but may be mistaken.

Goshzagit
04-13-2017, 04:00 AM
A 4* level recruit, who is vastly underrated athletically.

Never got to show his "stuff" because he played a role and was a tremendous teammate.

He will be a starter & scorer whomever he plays for...

A potential 40+% 3pt shooter, & BA can fly. He was also leading scorer for his Dutch team last 2 years.

If Alberts is given a green light, watch out.

Not a coincidence he looked good and made tough shots in garbage mins last season, & hit big shots his Frosh season. A little too tentative on the court, but rarely makes mistakes. This transfer could light a fire.

The sentiment by teammates is he's a baller in practice. He can play at a high lvl at this lvl. A reason we were so good were guys like Alberts on the scout team, he wreaked havoc.

He deserves this...and be sure to follow him, because if he chooses a good fit, he could turn into a big time player. Don't forget, he can play 3 guard positions, and is a legit 6'5", with terrific athleticism and touch.

Timing is everything. Any other time & he is a regular rotation player.

I hope he shoots for the stars, I think he's capable of playing & starting for a Pac 12 school.

MickMick
04-13-2017, 04:37 AM
Relative to the young man getting a lot of buzz that is transferring from New Mexico. I'll put this out right now:

If Alberts were given the same opportunity to be that kind of volume shooter, the comparison would not be close. Alberts is a better shooter and his numbers would be impressive. Indeed, Alberts would be getting a lot of attention if given similar opportunity. He is going to be a pleasant surprise to some given fan base out there.

Vanzagger
04-13-2017, 04:51 AM
I ran into him at Sushi bar in Vegas. He seems like a great kid. When I saw his tape 5 years ago I was pumped we were on his radar.

Good luck Bryan

MileHigh
04-13-2017, 05:04 AM

Nope. Alberts made this decision before Christmas. Smart kid that could see the writing on the wall. Loves Gonzaga and his teammates, but loves playing the game even more.

I would guess the Big Sky or Big West would be good fits for him whree he would be guaranteed starter minutes for his last two years

thebigsmoove
04-13-2017, 05:26 AM
He was recruited by everybody when he came out. Its still amazing to me that he was never able to crack the rotation. Just shows how insane our guard depth has been the last few years.

thespywhozaggedme
04-13-2017, 05:34 AM

No, no correlation unfortunately.

Zagdawg
04-13-2017, 05:45 AM
Actually he did crack the rotation and was a starter for a while-- looking for him as a 3 pt offensive threat -- but things do not always work out-- I think Melson emerged as a defensive guy who could also get points.

With Norvell and Wade coming in --both great three point shooters -- he decided he wanted to get some more playing time.

Best of luck to him -- hope he finds a good place.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-13-2017, 05:55 AM
Boise State?!

77Zag
04-13-2017, 06:45 AM
Best wishes Bryan -- you will always be a Zag. Hope you get all the playing time you can. Will be watching the box scores from wherever you land.

Zagdawg
04-13-2017, 06:56 AM
Good to see the shout outs from his teammates.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/apr/12/sophomore-guard-bryan-alberts-leaving-gonzagas-pro/

sittingon50
04-13-2017, 07:05 AM
A degree in Economics in just over 3 years. Think he will do just fine!

webspinnre
04-13-2017, 07:27 AM
A degree in Economics in just over 3 years. Think he will do just fine!

Exactly, I love that he worked this hard to graduate so that he could have two years of eligibility and play right away. Good for him!

bartruff1
04-13-2017, 07:39 AM
I think it is amazing how these kids can play at this level and graduate in 3 years.....

I am sorry to see him go, but understand he wants to play basketball and be more than a designated 3 point shooter....

that must be a tough role to play, knowing if you are not making threes you will be out of the game .. if in fact that was his situation.

Thanks Albert and good luck, IMHO you are heading in the right direction ....

MontanaCoyote
04-13-2017, 07:41 AM
I really liked Alberts, he never complained was always a team player and whenever he got time to play more than held his on. He actually could be a quality starter on many programs in this country. I wish him well.

Nailed it! Fine young man. Good player. Have fun and best of luck. Gonzaga's loss is another team's gain.

DixieZag
04-13-2017, 08:48 AM
Nope. Alberts made this decision before Christmas. Smart kid that could see the writing on the wall. Loves Gonzaga and his teammates, but loves playing the game even more.

I would guess the Big Sky or Big West would be good fits for him whree he would be guaranteed starter minutes for his last two years

I would think he'd maybe call the UW, first. Seems like they need some solid, mature, bodies/young men.

Ezag
04-13-2017, 09:00 AM
Good luck Bryan. At least we don't have to hear Heister say "EL-berts" any more

sittingon50
04-13-2017, 09:18 AM
Good luck Bryan. At least we don't have to hear Heister say "EL-berts" any more

Depends on where he winds up!!

gobroncsgozags
04-13-2017, 09:58 AM
Boise State?!

Was thinking the same thing! Selfishly, I'd love for him to go from one alma mater to another. Would be awesome to get to continue to watch him closely. Rice's teams seem to really like to put up threes too. I don't know if they need anyone at that position though. I don't follow BSU basketball nearly as much, though I should.

thespywhozaggedme
04-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Was thinking the same thing! Selfishly, I'd love for him to go from one alma mater to another. Would be awesome to get to continue to watch him closely. Rice's teams seem to really like to put up threes too. I don't know if they need anyone at that position though. I don't follow BSU basketball nearly as much, though I should.

They're loaded at guard and wing with Hutchison and Paris Austin and 3 stud freshman guards from last season, Jessup, Hobbs abd Dickenson

zagbeliever
04-13-2017, 10:10 AM
He's a great kid with a lot of talent. I wish he had gotten more minutes but it is what it is. His degree in economics from a prestigious school will help him when he finishes his BB career. Best of luck to him wherever he lands.

ZAG 4 LIFE
04-13-2017, 10:20 AM
Maybe he heads back to SoCal? Coach Monson and Long Beach State? New Coach at UCSB might like to
have this young man helping him fill the Thunderdome?

Zagdawg
04-13-2017, 10:23 AM
Boise State just added a solid transfer big to their lineup.
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 2h2 hours ago
Fordham grad transfer Christian Sengfelder (12.1 ppg, 5.1 rpg) told ESPN he has committed to play for Leon Rice at Boise State next year.

Mr Vulture
04-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Washington State has four open spots and is actively looking for a transfer outside shooter...perhaps he's an option there??

Zagger
04-13-2017, 11:16 AM
Dang, I was really wishing his 3s would start finding the hoops in games! He upped his defense this season too. I wanted to see him in a 10 guy rotation --- guess we were just too deep. Good for Alberts to make the decision though - if his intention is to get some floor time I sure hope that ends up being the case. Good luck Bryan!

zag67
04-13-2017, 01:10 PM
Bryan, I wish you the best in finding a school, and then getting the minutes to show your stuff. We will miss you and I thank you for the time and effort that you have shown here.

zagdontzig
04-13-2017, 03:01 PM
It seems we've risen to a point where our transfers are getting coverage… Starting to see hallmarks of a blueblood.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19152062/guard-bryan-alberts-transfer-gonzaga

Bogozags
04-13-2017, 04:50 PM
Bryan THANK YOU for being a GREAT Zag and may you have GREAT success wherever you go and in whatever you chose to do in life!

NotoriousZ
04-13-2017, 05:25 PM
Thank you, Brian!!! Always a Zag! I think some of you are selling him a little short on where might transfer to. Big Sky? I'll wager he ends up on a team that's tourney bound and he starts for that team.

ZagsGoZags
04-13-2017, 10:57 PM
After reading this thread, it makes we wish the threads on Collins had just like this one. This thread is acting like a family. Pontificating on why one wishes Josh had made a different decision than he did is not acting like a supportive family. The time to give reasons for why "I" want you to do this and that, and "I" want you to stay and get better is BEFORE the decision is announced.

Son, as you know, I had hoped you would stay in school another year. But you decided to take a job for a million bucks a year, take home pay, I can see the reasoning. Let me know how I can support you from here forward.
Alberts come back to Zag land as often as you can, we have a place for you here, and good luck in your new job.

Zagdawg
05-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Jim Meehan‏ @SRJimm 1m1 minute ago
Former Gonzaga wing Bryan Alberts visiting Weber State and Hawaii. Canceled Wake Forest.

CDC84
05-05-2017, 10:22 AM
What's interesting about Hawaii is that their fans are apparently rabid about basketball. Their arena is a very hard place to play at. Plus every opponent is distracted by the beaches and the weather.

seacatfan
05-05-2017, 10:52 AM
What's interesting about Hawaii is that their fans are apparently rabid about basketball. Their arena is a very hard place to play at. Plus every opponent is distracted by the beaches and the weather.

They might have THE most rabid women's volleyball fans in the country (probably Nebraska is the only other team in contention), and they support their football program strongly as well. No pro franchises to compete w/ on the island.

TexasZagFan
05-05-2017, 11:12 AM

Their problem is their road trips sometimes range up to 3 weeks. The location is usually a distraction for the first-year players. After that, it's ho-hum for the most part.

Kemo 1966
05-05-2017, 01:14 PM
What is interesting here, if HE LIKES the scenery in Hawaii, this could be the BEST landing spot for Bryan! Asst. Coach Adam Jacobsen, was UOP's leading 3pt shooter and when he graduated in 1997, he led the Big West in 3's (311 for his career). When he graduated from Southern Cal high school, he was the most prolific 3 pt maker in the State! He knows 'shooters'.... and I believe Alberts is a shooter. Just needs to get some confidence and playing time..... which he will definitely get in the "Bus League" under Adam, IMO. Head coach comes via St Mary's Col. coaching Tree. I believe this would be an excellent fit for both player and the School !! Best of luck to Bryan Alberts.

CDC84
05-05-2017, 03:50 PM
Their problem is their road trips sometimes range up to 3 weeks. The location is usually a distraction for the first-year players. After that, it's ho-hum for the most part.

Exactly. Tons of travel.

btzag
05-05-2017, 03:57 PM
I'd go Weber St from a bb perspective. They've had some nice success over the years and I'm sure Bryan has pro aspirations still. Course I know nothing about the rosters or coaching staffs... Speaking of that, wonder what Boise St has coming back at the guard position?

gonzagafan62
05-05-2017, 05:27 PM
Location is so overrated on this board. Most people only care about the coaches, relationships, overall team, or the environment. Location usually only matters to kids if they are too far or close to home.

adoptedzag
05-06-2017, 09:23 AM
Any indication where he's going?

ProVeeZag
05-06-2017, 11:23 PM
I'd go Weber St from a bb perspective. They've had some nice success over the years and I'm sure Bryan has pro aspirations still. Course I know nothing about the rosters or coaching staffs... Speaking of that, wonder what Boise St has coming back at the guard position?

You're right, Weber State has a stellar basketball tradition with greats such as Willie Sojourner, Harold Arceneaux, and Damian Lillard. Back in 1999, Weber State pulled off a jaw-dropping opening-round NCAA upset of North Carolina behind Arceneaux's 36 points. Wherever Bryan Alberts goes, I wish him the best.

Zagdawg
05-15-2017, 05:48 AM
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account
@JonRothstein

Gonzaga grad transfer Bryan Alberts tells me he will visit UC Santa Barbara this week. Immediately eligible.

Inside The Kennel‏ @InsideTheKennel 8m8 minutes ago
Inside The Kennel Retweeted Jon Rothstein
This would be an excellent fit for @bryan_a_alberts. Plus the weather is similar to Spokane, so easy transition

JAGzag
05-15-2017, 07:02 AM
@JonRothstein

Plus the weather is similar to Spokane, so easy transition

Now that is funny!

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-15-2017, 07:24 AM
Now that is funny!

My battle buddy at my officer basic course was a UCSB grad. I had to teach him how to scrape frost from his windshield, because he had never seen it.

CDC84
05-15-2017, 07:25 AM
@JonRothstein

Gonzaga grad transfer Bryan Alberts tells me he will visit UC Santa Barbara this week. Immediately eligible.

Inside The Kennel‏ @InsideTheKennel 8m8 minutes ago
Inside The Kennel Retweeted Jon Rothstein
This would be an excellent fit for @bryan_a_alberts. Plus the weather is similar to Spokane, so easy transition

UCSB is not a bad place to go either. Very beautiful part of the state.

webspinnre
05-15-2017, 08:52 AM
Santa Barbara is absolutely beautiful.

bartruff1
05-15-2017, 09:25 AM
Most excellent choice....the US equivalent of the French Riviera ..... Weber State....not so much....

sittingon50
05-15-2017, 10:34 AM
Think they just hired an Arizona Asst. as head coach.

Agree that Santa Barbara is a pretty place, though I haven't been thru there in probably 35 yrs.

MDABE80
05-15-2017, 10:59 AM
Program has been pretty solid for years. I think he'd love it there. Nice place to live. In and around S. Cal, it's the nicest IMHO.

ZagNative
05-15-2017, 01:34 PM
Dumb to move this thread to Old Dogs this soon. It's not as if the MBB is booming with juicy news such that the space has to be conserved.

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-15-2017, 02:51 PM
Dumb to move this thread to Old Dogs this soon. It's not as if the MBB is booming with juicy news such that the space has to be conserved.

:agreed:

kyle dixon
06-08-2017, 09:01 PM
Where did Triano and Alberts end up transferrin to?

Zagdawg
06-12-2017, 09:34 AM
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 1h1 hour ago
More
Gonzaga grad transfer Bryan Alberts tells me he has cut his list to Long Beach State, Weber State, and VCU. Immediately eligible.

sittingon50
11-11-2017, 09:46 AM
Alberts starts & gets 9 in win over usf.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400987046