PDA

View Full Version : Withers: Zach Collins, we hardly knew ye

sittingon50
04-12-2017, 07:02 PM
http://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/296556/zach-collins-we-hardly-knew-ye

Hoopaholic
04-12-2017, 07:11 PM
http://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/296556/zach-collins-we-hardly-knew-ye

He clearly is far more eloquent with expression of words than I will ever be...but his view mirrors my view save no mention of negative impact on the wonderful game I love called college hoops

MDABE80
04-12-2017, 07:29 PM
We'll be missing Karno and Nigel a lot more than Collins. He contributed but it wasn't anything we can't replace. The biggest loss wasn't what he did. The big loss is what he might have done in the future. He took the money and ran while the "gettins good" . Staff did everything possible to keep him including some promises they've not made before. So long Zach. Best wishes. One thing life has taught me is this: you almost always get what you ask for but it's rare you get what you want.

TexasZagFan
04-13-2017, 05:10 AM
We'll be missing Karno and Nigel a lot more than Collins. He contributed but it wasn't anything we can't replace. The biggest loss wasn't what he did. The big loss is what he might have done in the future. He took the money and ran while the "gettins good" . Staff did everything possible to keep him including some promises they've not made before. So long Zach. Best wishes. One thing life has taught me is this: you almost always get what you ask for but it's rare you get what you want.

That's deep, Abe, very deep. lol

That last sentence is so true. I'm not going to retire with a stock portfolio of sufficient size to hire Ken Fisher to manage it, but we'll be comfortable. I expect to be working in a wine bar in Grapevine a few days a week, if only to get out of the house. I'm planning my winery tours along my favorite traveling route: IH-40/Route 66. My wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting to stop again in Winslow, but I long for it every time I hear the damn song on the radio.

What I'd really like is for the Zags to resume the series with SMU. If that happens, I'll personally arrange a couple of alumni gatherings.

Sorry for going O/T.

meadgrad02
04-13-2017, 07:52 AM
What promises? You can't just throw that out there and leave us hanging like that...

TexasZagFan
04-13-2017, 08:33 AM
What promises? You can't just throw that out there and leave us hanging like that...

https://img.memesuper.com/a12e82493814d868c2938a738bff2858_where-are-you-running-off-to-are-you-talking-to-me-meme_578-650.jpeg

zagdontzig
04-13-2017, 10:37 AM
In the process of acting like middle school girls about this whole thing, we've forgot that we're alienating our biggest cheerleader to Chase Jeter. I really hope Zags fans have some foresight to start realizing one-and-dones might become part of the landscape in our recruiting, and that their decisions to declare aren't something they did to us.

Hoopaholic
04-13-2017, 10:49 AM
In the process of acting like middle school girls about this whole thing, we've forgot that we're alienating our biggest cheerleader to Chase Jeter. I really hope Zags fans have some foresight to start realizing one-and-dones might become part of the landscape in our recruiting, and that their decisions to declare aren't something they did to us.

not following your logic to be honest

Jeter is not a one and done out of high candidate

Espousing that we the fans wanted to see more of the player is not a bad thing IMO

Espousing that we the fans, with limited information, believe he might have had the opportunity to create a huge brand name for himself, improve his opportunities and ensure long term success is not a bad thing IMO

Personally, one and done for me are not the end all be all that some claim it to be as it pertains to long term and short success within the College basketball landscape.

CDC84
04-13-2017, 11:21 AM
If Chase Jeter has been taught properly, he has been told to avoid all message boards. I know Few has done this with his own players......to even avoid facebook and twitter when they are going through shooting slumps and such.

These places are not good for players, coaches, parents and others to wander about on. People have a right to express their opinions on a player, his performance, public decisions he makes, etc.

Funny but true......apparently some Kentucky website asked its fans if they would rather see Adebayo depart after one year and get 2017 big man Mohamed Bamba to replace him or have Adebayo return for a 2nd season. The fans voted to have Adebayo depart, but not for the reasons you might think. It was because they were convinced that Bamba would be better even though he will be a freshman next season and most voters had never seen him play. Adebayo is a pretty dang good player who was under-utilized by Calipari. Just a totally different culture in Lexington. They are so used to seeing guys come and go to where they have convinced themselves that the next man is always better.

zagdontzig
04-13-2017, 11:36 AM
not following your logic to be honest

Jeter is not a one and done out of high candidate

Espousing that we the fans wanted to see more of the player is not a bad thing IMO

Espousing that we the fans, with limited information, believe he might have had the opportunity to create a huge brand name for himself, improve his opportunities and ensure long term success is not a bad thing IMO

Personally, one and done for me are not the end all be all that some claim it to be as it pertains to long term and short success within the College basketball landscape.

Regardless of whether you like Jeter, or even the prospect of becoming a one-and-done destination, Collins has been dragged through the mud on every social media platform imaginable, and he's noticed it, and that's bad for recruiting generally.

see video at 2:25:
http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/35139954/collins-talks-draft-decision-and-nba-dreams

Zags fans have acted like children, and they should regret that.

titopoet
04-13-2017, 11:38 AM
One thing about the whole NBA ready thing and he took the money story-line around Collins. I think this is oversold. The truth is different for the kids. Yes, the kids dream about winning in the NCAA tourney, but they also dream of playing and winning in the NBA. That is their larger goal and dream... to play and compete against and with the best players in the world. Guys like Collins aren't just taking the money when they go early... they are fulfilling their dreams to play in the best basketball league in the world. We live and die Zags basketball and that at times blinds to the fact that for Collins, his dream is to play in the NBA. To say, as Whiter's implies, that Collins is leaving just because of the money is to down play the player's dream of being successful in the NBA. He is fulfilling his dreams and yeah, i would love to have him in Zags uniform next season, but I am happy he is living his dream. It is isn't about all about the money, or a venture to say mostly about money. It is about his bigger dream. Would he play in the NBA next year if he came back? Maybe, but it is a risk. Injury and not playing next year to the hype make it more risky.

On the NBA ready... Will Collins start or play significant minutes next season? Most rookies don't and he will probably work hard to get up to speed to play a significant role in the NBA, but playing as a professional in the league, he will develop as quickly or more so than if he stayed. It is rare to have a player ready to take a league by storm from day one. If the NBA is willing to draft him, then he is NBA ready.

former1dog
04-13-2017, 11:47 AM
My only concern in all of this may seem a little strange. Is Collins intending to finish out the semester? I would be disappointed if he had decided not to. I'm certain if he doesn't finish that damages (ever so slightly) the academic reputation of the program as well as statistics kept by the NCAA.

Other than that, I wish Mr. Collins well. I hope he becomes a very successful professional basketball player.

CDC84
04-13-2017, 01:02 PM
Spoke to one college basketball analyst I trust: "GU should definitely pursue Jeter. Could put up big numbers after a redshirt year."

MDABE80
04-13-2017, 01:19 PM
5 star kid. Size. Had a bad year at Duke due to injuries. I agree with CDC, I'd give him a very hard look. Size and talent.

zagbeliever
04-13-2017, 05:51 PM
It makes me very unhappy to read Zach's dad's twitter posts and read how badly he is being treated for his decision. That reflects badly on our fan base and looks terrible to potential recruits. There are a lot of people who hide behind a screen name and say things they would never say face to face. Whether we like or dislike his decision he has made it, he is a Zag and we should be supportive. I wish him the best and I home we haven't alienated a lot of people with negativity

Zagger
04-14-2017, 07:10 PM
Sheesh!

Hey Zach, have a great bunch of years in the NBA! Come back & visit often! It was fun watching you play and knowing no team got a rest when you came in for Mt K. One amazing season! Zags in the Final Four! You helped make it happen! Go Zach! Go Zags!

MDABE80
04-14-2017, 07:44 PM
It's nonsense. Cooking up a reason to leave.Zach's been treated very well. The only thing is that Karno came Bach when nobody expected him to return. So Zach backed him up but still played plenty.The boy himself is adored on campus. Stop the BS ! Go get the money but stop blaming imaginary people for Zach leaving. Idon't follow twitter. Little twitter #####es aren't real and they don t matter. This University and the team is. This type of thing reflects simple garbage. The choice boils down to $3 million or a soph season at GU. Simply put, Collins took the money. It's so stupid to retroactively generate reasons to take a $3 million profit. That was the plan. Nobody needs to explain that . I don't think it's greedy. It's just what is. Should the GU community be somehow be criticized for Zach leaving? Not on your life. This is a pure money play. Let's move on.
Gonzaga need to focus on the future not the past.

zagfan1
04-14-2017, 10:17 PM
These are my thoughts. As he is part of the Zag family I think it is great he will be in the NBA. However, I want to provide some facts to help understand what his decision means. Like Sabonis, Collins is predicted to be selected number 11 in the draft. His first year salary is probably going to be $2.6M. Not too shabby. However, in order to continue to improve at a decent rate he will need to average 20 minutes per game for the season. If he can't cut down his fouls he may only average 14 minutes - 16 minutes per game which could stunt his growth slightly for the first couple of years. It's a calculated risk he is taking assuming his potential can be fully realized. If Zach had stayed one more year at Gonzaga he would have an extra year to work on his foul issues/maturity and potentially become a top 5 pick in the NBA making $4.5 million (or slightly more) in his first year. He also could get hurt at Gonzaga in the second year which could make him slide to the later part of the first round. The safest road would be to go out now.