PDA

View Full Version : New Zag Big options for 2017 season

zagfan1
04-11-2017, 07:27 PM
Now that Collins is moving forward Gonzaga needs to keep this juggernaut rolling in finding a replacement big. Not sure if this will be a graduate transfer or a frosh. Thoughts? Leaving Jeter out of this as he would need to sit out next year.

basketballzag
04-11-2017, 07:45 PM
Now that Collins is moving forward Gonzaga needs to keep this juggernaut rolling in finding a replacement big. Not sure if this will be a graduate transfer or a frosh. Thoughts? Leaving Jeter out of this as he would need to sit out next year.

Jacob Larsen will fill in just fine as the season progresses. The problem is depth at the PF/C positions which could be an even bigger problem is Edwards hangs it up.

thespywhozaggedme
04-11-2017, 07:55 PM
Trevor Thompson, 7' 250 pound redshirt junior from Ohio State. Declared for the draft but has not signed with an agent as of yet. Ideal graduate transfer center.

http://m.espn.com/ncb/playercard?playerId=66295&src=desktop

tinfoilzag
04-11-2017, 07:58 PM
Our depth up front last year was ridiculous, we can't expect to have that every year.

zagsfanforlife
04-11-2017, 08:03 PM
Reid Travis baby!!! Let's goooo

basketballzag
04-11-2017, 08:08 PM
http://pepperdine-graphic.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/export.jpeg

Goshzagit
04-11-2017, 08:28 PM
Trevor Thompson, 7' 250 pound redshirt junior from Ohio State. Declared for the draft but has not signed with an agent as of yet. Ideal graduate transfer center.

First time i've lol'd all night. Thx Spy.

cggonzaga
04-11-2017, 08:49 PM
Jacob Larsen will fill in just fine as the season progresses. The problem is depth at the PF/C positions which could be an even bigger problem is Edwards hangs it up.

What if Rui plays the 4? We're long but not big.

CDC84
04-11-2017, 08:59 PM
Well, coming off the national title game, the Zags have some clout. There are still a lot of unsigned 2017 high schools kids as well.

gonzagafan62
04-11-2017, 09:07 PM
What if Rui plays the 4? We're long but not big.

My guess with only players that we have currently is:

PG: Perkins
SG: Melson
SF: Rui
PF: JW3
C: Larsen

Zagricultural
04-11-2017, 09:22 PM
Two of the top high school centers remain unsigned. Go get them Few!

Coach Crazy
04-11-2017, 09:41 PM
Two of the top high school centers remain unsigned. Go get them Few!

Hahaha Bamba's gonna get a huge dufflebag of duckets from Coach Cal.

Coach Crazy
04-11-2017, 09:51 PM
Well, coming off the national title game, the Zags have some clout. There are still a lot of unsigned 2017 high schools kids as well.

If we all pitch in, we might be able to outspend Coach Cal, this time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zagsfanforlife
04-11-2017, 09:52 PM
If we all pitch in, we might be able to outspend Coach Cal, this time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll chip in 5 bucks

Zagricultural
04-11-2017, 09:53 PM
Honestly, seems legit to think one of them could come here. We play inside out, and have proven we really develop post players. Win win.

cggonzaga
04-11-2017, 10:03 PM

I see it:

Perkins
Melson
Norvell
J3
Tillie

Wade and Kispert filling in for the guards. Rui and Larsen filling in for the bigs.

Zagineer
04-11-2017, 10:19 PM

bbzag - That is one.... awesome.... post!! I truly appreciate the time you spent putting it together.

Being the engineer that I am,... I'd like to point out one "typo". On the left hand side, under the bubble "Did you redshirt at any point in your college career", I believe the "Yes" and "No" should be reversed.

A minor point on my part to otherwise an absolutely awesome post. :clap::clap::clap:

WallaWallaZag
04-12-2017, 12:55 AM

you can't seem to let go of this one spy...you might as well say jock landale if all you're looking at is a center who is going to be a redshirt senior and grad transfer eligible...the gael board would implode :roll:

Birddog
04-12-2017, 04:02 AM

That's terrific, could you do a video with Powerpoint thrown in?

thespywhozaggedme
04-12-2017, 05:37 AM
First time i've lol'd all night. Thx Spy.

Please elaborate. Thanks
P.S. Laughter is good, it's like medicine

FlyZag
04-12-2017, 05:43 AM
bbzag - That is one.... awesome.... post!! I truly appreciate the time you spent putting it together.

Being the engineer that I am,... I'd like to point out one "typo". On the left hand side, under the bubble "Did you redshirt at any point in your college career", I believe the "Yes" and "No" should be reversed.

A minor point on my part to otherwise an absolutely awesome post. :clap::clap::clap:

Looks accurate as it sits to me...

Alum08
04-12-2017, 06:03 AM
Between JW3, Tillie, and Larsen, we should be OK in the frontcourt. There's no reason Tillie can't play alongside JW3 for extended minutes when Larsen sits.

thespywhozaggedme
04-12-2017, 06:08 AM
you can't seem to let go of this one spy...you might as well say jock landale if all you're looking at is a center who is going to be a redshirt senior and grad transfer eligible...the gael board would implode :roll:

How are the two similar, other than their basketball players? One plays for a bad team, declared for the draft, but didn't hire an agent and isn't most likely going to get drafted, so I'm sure would like to play in MM before his college career is over, the other plays for a top 25 team, has not put his name in the draft and hasn't hinted towards it. So again, other than their both basketball players, how are the situations similar?

thespywhozaggedme
04-12-2017, 06:13 AM
Reid Travis baby!!! Let's goooo

yes, yes, yes. My totally unrealistic, deluded fantasy team would have him and TT grad transfer to us for the best frontcourt in the nation.

PG: Perkins, Wade
SG: melson, Norvell
SF: CK, Rui
PF: Travis, JWIII
C: Trevor Thompson, Larsen

*Tille to do pull Olynyk and red shirt and then be the man in the front court in '18.

* Note, this is obviously not going to happen and is just for fun for this thread, before the way too serious crowd jumps in.

jazzdelmar
04-12-2017, 06:16 AM
Precipitous drop if NWG leaves as I expect.....Lots of question marks......Top 20, wander in the teens all year......Not bad, but long long way from F4.

thespywhozaggedme
04-12-2017, 06:26 AM
Here's the link to the top 2017 unsigned centers:

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/2017-basketball-center-prospects?signed=false

Zagdawg
04-12-2017, 06:27 AM
Sorry not going to see a final 4 every year -- going to need to rebuild after losing this much talent- but I will take top 25 and make another run to the 2nd weekend (hopefully).

Chicken Ball
04-12-2017, 07:06 AM
How about this guy?

http://www.scout.com/college/illinois/story/1768530-breaking-tilmon-to-ask-release-from-nli

thespywhozaggedme
04-12-2017, 07:10 AM
How about this guy?

http://www.scout.com/college/illinois/story/1768530-breaking-tilmon-to-ask-release-from-nli

Watching the video, the reporter hints that he may join Porter at Mizzou. College sports is so slimy.

CDC84
04-12-2017, 07:40 AM
Hahaha Bamba's gonna get a huge dufflebag of duckets from Coach Cal.

As Hondo and I like to say, these recruits will soon be receiving a phone call from General Calipari: "Recruit Bamba, please report to Lexington immediately." "Recruit Bamba, please report to Lexington immediately." :)

CDC84
04-12-2017, 07:44 AM
Don't know what it looks like in the juco world. Maybe there's a JP Batista hanging around.

Zagdawg
04-12-2017, 07:57 AM
Are we too late to get into the mix? ;)

Andrew Slater‏ @ASlater247 1h1 hour ago
Mr. Bamba said he has no Upcoming in-home visits http://247sports.com/Player/Mohamed-Bamba-76118 …

North Idaho Zag
04-12-2017, 08:11 AM
Here's the link to the top 2017 unsigned centers:

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/2017-basketball-center-prospects?signed=false

Filtering this list to show schools considered, it's interesting to see none interested in GU. I would assume this is because we had no schollies left. It will be interesting to see how/if this changes in the next few days.

thespywhozaggedme
04-12-2017, 08:19 AM
Filtering this list to show schools considered, it's interesting to see none interested in GU. I would assume this is because we had no schollies left. It will be interesting to see how/if this changes in the next few days.

No schollies, plus that was before our FF run.

Mr Vulture
04-12-2017, 08:22 AM

I have yet to see anywhere the NWG has announced for the draft so I would consider him as a player we have now. With that said, I think it's pretty clear:

PG: NWG
SG: Perkins
Wing: Melson
PF: JWIII
C: Tillie

EDIT: I don't think NWG ends up leaving although I would expect him to declare without an agent. I have heard thru the grapevine that another player is calling it a career, but I will say there is ZERO to confirm this. If true, we'd have two spots open and three if NWG did leave.

Zags11
04-12-2017, 09:02 AM
I have yet to see anywhere the NWG has announced for the draft so I would consider him as a player we have now. With that said, I think it's pretty clear:

EDIT: I don't think NWG ends up leaving although I would expect him to declare without an agent. I have heard thru the grapevine that another player is calling it a career, but I will say there is ZERO to confirm this. If true, we'd have two spots open and three if NWG did leave.

Is it Edwards .....

Zagger
04-12-2017, 09:04 AM

I'll have to say that the weeks following the season this season are ones in which I've paid the most attention. With Zach's departure I'm feeling (just a feeling) that there will be a few changes by September. I just hope the coaching staff is not included. Wouldn't surprise me if it is though - at least in some manner.

Markburn1
04-12-2017, 09:05 AM
Precipitous drop if NWG leaves as I expect.....Lots of question marks......Top 20, wander in the teens all year......Not bad, but long long way from F4.

This view of the upcoming year is incredible to me. Hanging around the teens translates to a seed that is 3, 4 or 5. In other words, a realistic shot at a sweet sixteen game. From there, the tournament is the ultimate crap shoot. If this is considered a precipitous drop, it's only because some have unrealistic expectations. If this is considered a precipitous drop, I'm all in.

Each season has it's own story line. I am excited to see next season play out. Who will emerge as the go to big guy? How will the coaching staff adjust to the different skill sets of the kids that step in? How long will it take to have the team perform at peak efficiency? If the Zags are going to hang around the teens through all of this, it will be an incredibly successful season.

TexasZagFan
04-12-2017, 09:48 AM
This view of the upcoming year is incredible to me. Hanging around the teens translates to a seed that is 3, 4 or 5. In other words, a realistic shot at a sweet sixteen game. From there, the tournament is the ultimate crap shoot. If this is considered a precipitous drop, it's only because some have unrealistic expectations. If this is considered a precipitous drop, I'm all in.

Each season has it's own story line. I am excited to see next season play out. Who will emerge as the go to big guy? How will the coaching staff adjust to the different skill sets of the kids that step in? How long will it take to have the team perform at peak efficiency? If the Zags are going to hang around the teens through all of this, it will be an incredibly successful season.

Perhaps Silas will lead the nation in scoring next year...wouldn't surprise me a bit. He's our natural leader next year: senior, 4th year in program, been a member of a team that has played in 13 NCAA Tournament games, winning 10. He'll make Josh's life easier at the point, Silas can create his own shot.

We won't be as big at the 4 & 5 next year, but as a group, athleticism will be as good if not better. I'm still waiting/hoping for a rebirth of "40 minutes of hell", we'll have the bench to go that deep.

seacatfan
04-12-2017, 10:58 AM
Watching the video, the reporter hints that he may join Porter at Mizzou. College sports is so slimy.

I really don't understand Cuonzo Martin's recruiting prowess. He's a mediocre at best coach who really hasn't done much during his career. Porter of course is following his dad but I can't understand anyone else suddenly wanting to go to Missouri. Getting Rabb to stay at home to play for Cal was one thing, but I still have no idea how he lured Jaylen Brown all the way from Georgia to Berkley. Martin is a bit like a younger version of Romar.

Coach Crazy
04-12-2017, 11:33 AM
I really don't understand Cuonzo Martin's recruiting prowess. He's a mediocre at best coach who really hasn't done much during his career. Porter of course is following his dad but I can't understand anyone else suddenly wanting to go to Missouri. Getting Rabb to stay at home to play for Cal was one thing, but I still have no idea how he lured Jaylen Brown all the way from Georgia to Berkley. Martin is a bit like a younger version of Romar.

Way OT, but am I the only one that is like "How on earth is Brian Bowen an AA?!" As far as Tilmon goes, from what I have seen he is going to Mizzou, and I don't understand either. True, he's got Porter and Harris, so another young gun is probably more likely once you get a few pieces like that. But still. They'll be a garbage team. They can't play defense, and Cuonzo hasn't proven that he can get a team to play cohesive enough to overcome that beyond a season or two.

thebigsmoove
04-12-2017, 11:46 AM

$$$$$

seacatfan
04-12-2017, 11:47 AM
Way OT, but am I the only one that is like "How on earth is Brian Bowen an AA?!"

I have no idea how good of a player Bowen is, but I can't get over his hairdo. It just looks bad. I know that's shallow, but I don't like it.

thespywhozaggedme
04-12-2017, 11:48 AM
I have no idea how good of a player Bowen is, but I can't get over his hairdo. It just looks bad. I know that's shallow, but I don't like it.

It's not hair, he keeps his bichon frise on his head, he likes it there (the Bichon).

North Idaho Zag
04-12-2017, 11:50 AM
No schollies, plus that was before our FF run.

Yeah, no schollies... that's what I said. But you think no centers are/were interested in Gonzaga because we hadn't made a final four run yet? Um... no.

thespywhozaggedme
04-12-2017, 11:52 AM
Yeah, no schollies... that's what I said. But you think no centers are/were interested in Gonzaga because we hadn't made a final four run yet? Um... no.

No, I think they saw ZC there and thought there was no place for big minutes. I mean that the ff run may have opened doors that may not have previously been opened. My bad for not being clear.

seacatfan
04-12-2017, 11:53 AM
It's not hair, he keeps his bichon frise on his head, he likes it there (the Bichon).

That seems like cheating. The bichon could nip or bark at other players to distract them.

thespywhozaggedme
04-12-2017, 11:58 AM
That seems like cheating. The bichon could nip or bark at other players to distract them.

Good point.

basketballzag
04-12-2017, 12:54 PM
No, I think they saw ZC there and thought there was no place for big minutes. I mean that the ff run may have opened doors that may not have previously been opened. My bad for not being clear.

This is what I hear happened with Olivier Sarr from France who really liked Gonzaga unfortunately he just inked with Wake Forest yesterday.

thespywhozaggedme
04-12-2017, 01:01 PM
This is what I hear happened with Olivier Sarr from France who really liked Gonzaga unfortunately he just inked with Wake Forest yesterday.

Really? yeah, I posted about him a little over a month ago. I figured with the French Connection (that sounds like it would be a movie title) we would have an "in", but alas, kids nowadays, American or Euro want playing time; can't blame them.

Zagdawg
04-12-2017, 01:03 PM
Looking for bigger fish--
"This past summer, Sarr played for France in the FIBA u17 World Championships. Sarr averaged 4.4 points and four rebounds a game through seven games in the event."

tyra
04-12-2017, 01:12 PM
I honestly don't understand why there isn't more of an assumption that Jacob Larsen will be our starting center given his past performance and pedigree and coaches' comments. I get that he is a bit of an unknown and has some injury issues in his past. But he's almost 20 (would turn 21 right after next season) and is a true talented 7 foot type. Seems like people are thinking we have to have a lead pipe cinch of an NBA type there. This guy could be just really good and surrounded by an outstanding cast and we could go deep. Seems to me.

Mr Vulture
04-12-2017, 01:15 PM
I think pretty much everyone thinks Larsen will be an important part of the rotation. I know personally that I just can't see Coach Few putting a guy that hasn't played a college game yet, into the the starting lineup.

scott257
04-12-2017, 02:42 PM
I think pretty much everyone thinks Larsen will be an important part of the rotation. I know personally that I just can't see Coach Few putting a guy that hasn't played a college game yet, into the the starting lineup.

He has started freshmen before, not saying he will with this player but it is wrong to assume he won't start someone that hasn't played a college game. Probably even more likely with someone coming off a redshirt.

gonzagafan62
04-12-2017, 03:11 PM

I agree. I'm very scared about next season

Norwester
04-12-2017, 03:19 PM
I know personally that I just can't see Coach Few putting a guy that hasn't played a college game yet, into the the starting lineup.

Kevin Pangos
Gary Bell (actually averaged more minutes per game in his freshman year than the next 3 years)

tyra
04-12-2017, 03:39 PM
Not starting Larsen as opposed to what? Starting JWIII out of his natural position? Then having JWIII get a breather or shift to the PF? And if he does that, when does he get a blow? I think this Center question is one of the more interesting ones for the call.

Section 116
04-12-2017, 03:41 PM
I don't know if Tillie gets a starting position for 2017/18, but I am very happy to have him as a Zag!

GoZags
04-12-2017, 04:18 PM
Not starting Larsen as opposed to what? Starting JWIII out of his natural position? Then having JWIII get a breather or shift to the PF? And if he does that, when does he get a blow? I think this Center question is one of the more interesting ones for the call.

Zags will be more than fine with their 3 big rotation (4 if Rui earns rotation minutes).

And there's likely to be a 4th big that sees the floor that nobody on this board is aware of .... yet.

zagsfanforlife
04-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Zags will be more than fine with their 3 big rotation (4 if Rui earns rotation minutes).

And there's likely to be a 4th big that sees the floor that nobody on this board is aware of .... yet.

Should i start tweeting at Reid Travis? Is that an NCAA violation

DixieZag
04-12-2017, 05:09 PM
Is there a reason (one I don't know) that Silas has been mentioned in our "get a big thread" but Rui hasn't?

From what I saw, Rui has to A) Get comfortable enough with English that he's on the same page as everyone, which shouldn't be a problem in a second year, B) Play 1.3 of a season, all in order to be an absolute beast/nightmare match-up.

I realize he's not "tall" like a big, but he is "big," he's not "short" and he can probably slap his hand higher on the backboard than the 7'0s we've had. Have we had a better natural athlete? Pargo? Knight?

MickMick
04-12-2017, 05:33 PM
I'm good with Williams III, Tillie, and Larsen.

Let's go!

Hoopaholic
04-12-2017, 05:39 PM
I'm good with Williams III, Tillie, and Larsen.

Let's go!

Me too

Is season ready to start yet?

hondo
04-12-2017, 05:49 PM
Elias Harris

willandi
04-12-2017, 05:54 PM

Way OT, but am I the only one that is like "How on earth is Brian Bowen an AA?!" As far as Tilmon goes, from what I have seen he is going to Mizzou, and I don't understand either. True, he's got Porter and Harris, so another young gun is probably more likely once you get a few pieces like that. But still. They'll be a garbage team. They can't play defense, and Cuonzo hasn't proven that he can get a team to play cohesive enough to overcome that beyond a season or two.

Maybe he can get Romar as an x's and o's asst.

zag67
04-12-2017, 05:54 PM
Me too and then RUI and ?????

btzag
04-12-2017, 06:00 PM

Well first off I completely agree that a 3 big lineup of Larsen, Jwill and Tillie can be elite nationally. We are incredibly spoiled if we think those 3 can't help us get to the Final Four again.

Plus could definitely see Rui in a smaller lineup as the 4, remember the only team we played last year that could match our size was UNC in the final so I'm not too worried on that front.

Also our known new players this next year are Larsen, Norvell, Wade and Kispert!!! Plus more minutes for Rui!! That is an incredible influx of talent that I can't wait to see on the floor.

Thank you GoZags for the little tidbit there at the end... This staff NEVER stops and is constantly bringing in overseas kids, transfers, JUCO's, etc to better the team. My mantra is always to trust the staff and I will this offseason!!

Zagricultural
04-12-2017, 06:27 PM
I honestly don't understand why there isn't more of an assumption that Jacob Larsen will be our starting center given his past performance and pedigree and coaches' comments. I get that he is a bit of an unknown and has some injury issues in his past. But he's almost 20 (would turn 21 right after next season) and is a true talented 7 foot type. Seems like people are thinking we have to have a lead pipe cinch of an NBA type there. This guy could be just really good and surrounded by an outstanding cast and we could go deep. Seems to me.

I have always thought Larsen will be out starting 5 if Zach leaves. The question to me is quality depth. Tillie and J3 are both 4's. Maybe Edwards surprises us?

DixieZag
04-12-2017, 06:36 PM
I have always thought Larsen will be out starting 5 if Zach leaves. The question to me is quality depth. Tillie and J3 are both 4's. Maybe Edwards surprises us?

He would have to do far more to get into elite shape to do all that much, he didn't look able to log a lot of minutes last year.

DixieZag
04-12-2017, 06:38 PM
Elias Harris

ah, there's the guy who can match-up with Rui on a just raw "athletic ability" comparison, strength, hops, speed.

sittingon50
04-12-2017, 08:16 PM
Kevin Pangos
Gary Bell (actually averaged more minutes per game in his freshman year than the next 3 years)

Technically, both had "played a college game" before they got in the starting line-up. Not sure if that was the intent of the statement, however.

maynard g krebs
04-12-2017, 09:13 PM

There's talk on the Scout Arizona board about Romar becoming an asst there. They actually sound like they're serious.

MDABE80
04-12-2017, 09:35 PM
He superior as a recruiter. Just not much of a coach. If he could bring great talent, why not hire him???
Meanwhile, I do think we'll get another BIG. We have a couple months yet. Few has got his eye out as does Tommy.
In the end (and I know this sounds a bit awful) this isn't a crushing loss with Zach. We had expectations but we had only those. Our future is with other BIGS. Nigel comes back, we're in far better shape for many reasons. I just his ankle is on the mend. Such a great youngster!

zagsfanforlife
04-12-2017, 09:46 PM
He superior as a recruiter. Just not much of a coach. If he could bring great talent, why not hire him???
Meanwhile, I do think we'll get another BIG. We have a couple months yet. Few has got his eye out as does Tommy.
In the end (and I know this sounds a bit awful) this isn't a crushing loss with Zach. We had expectations but we had only those. Our future is with other BIGS. Nigel comes back, we're in far better shape for many reasons. I just his ankle is on the mend. Such a great youngster!

Bud withers does not expect NWG back. Goes with everything I have heard. Wait and see but not getting my hopes up. Hopefully we have a stud grad transfer lined up as usual

Zagricultural
04-12-2017, 09:49 PM
I wanted Zach back almost more than Nigel simply because we have more depth at guard.

MDABE80
04-12-2017, 09:56 PM
Still do with Norvelle , Wade and Cory. Corey will add a lot. Some experience will be needed but that will come.
Things will work out very well. Shelves aren't empty. Just so we have a PG who knows how to run this team in this particular system. Not worried about good shooters.

zagsfanforlife
04-12-2017, 09:58 PM
Still do with Norvelle , Wade and Cory. Corey will add a lot. Some experience will be needed but that will come.
Things will work out very well. Shelves aren't empty. Just so we have a PG who knows how to run this team in this particular system. Not worried about good shooters.

Do you think josh is that guy

northsidezagfan
04-12-2017, 10:05 PM

I do.

MDABE80
04-12-2017, 10:58 PM
Not me. He may grow into the PG role but something tells me he's an option or backup to the PG. Good shooter, decent defense. Nigel made Josh look so much better this past season. No doubt Josh had some reasonable numbers but in this system, I doubt he'll excel in the PG spot. Nigel ran the team to near perfection. Josh isn't that guy.

Hoopaholic
04-13-2017, 05:30 AM
Well, based upon the end of season player/staff meetings Few and his staff vehemently disagree with you. Josh has been told it is his team to run next year and in their words they are going to "take the handcuffs" off of him. He will be a junior, so its pretty much up to him now as to the legacy he can leave for himself at Gonzaga. First thing he has to do is get healthy though

If accurate all I have to say is sweeeeet

strikenowhere
04-13-2017, 05:47 AM

Isn't Romar to Arizona a done deal?

A to Zags
04-13-2017, 05:52 AM
Well, based upon the end of season player/staff meetings Few and his staff vehemently disagree with you. Josh has been told it is his team to run next year and in their words they are going to "take the handcuffs" off of him. He will be a junior, so its pretty much up to him now as to the legacy he can leave for himself at Gonzaga. First thing he has to do is get healthy though

If this is accurate, then NWG is gone. Official word on that?

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-13-2017, 07:40 AM

I'm hoping Perkins and Melson both get and receive this message. Love their games and team-first humility. Time to hand them the reigns. I'd be ok, I guess, with an immediately eligible post grad post player but would be 100% excited for Zags to roll with roster as is too. Tillie, Norvell, Rui can step up....Kispert and Wade too

maynard g krebs
04-13-2017, 10:31 AM
Not me. He may grow into the PG role but something tells me he's an option or backup to the PG. Good shooter, decent defense. Nigel made Josh look so much better this past season. No doubt Josh had some reasonable numbers but in this system, I doubt he'll excel in the PG spot. Nigel ran the team to near perfection. Josh isn't that guy.

How do you explain the Santa Clara game: 90-55, team totals of 20 assts 10 to's; Josh with 15 pts scored on 8 fg attempts w/ 8 assts/2 to's?

Team didn't miss a beat in that one w/o NWG.

The quoted post from MileHigh that seems to have disappeared is exactly what I'm expecting. Next year's team is different; less dominant post presence, size and great shooters and passers on the wings. Everybody can run the floor; I'm expecting a lot of trapping 3/4 zone press and stuff like that to force tempo and pllay in transition even more.

Perfect for Josh. His detractors are gonna be proven wrong. There will be a style of play next year that will fit him, unlike this year when he gave up a lot of his game for the good of the team. Personally I can't wait to see him play "without the handcuffs".

Showtime.

seacatfan
04-13-2017, 10:33 AM
Nigel made Josh look so much better this past season.

I disagree. I thought Perkins was better in '15-'16 than he was in '16-'17.

maynard g krebs
04-13-2017, 10:34 AM

This. And the data (which I won't bother to present again; some just discount it) proves it.

gonzagafan62
04-13-2017, 10:39 AM
This. And the data (which I won't bother to present again; some just discount it) proves it.

He def made him better on defense. Able to take more risks. Perkins wasn't asked to get 15 points a game

Hoopaholic
04-13-2017, 10:47 AM

different roles, expectations and desired outcome for the position from which he was moved to IMO

MickMick
04-13-2017, 10:50 AM
How do you explain the Santa Clara game: 90-55, team totals of 20 assts 10 to's; Josh with 15 pts scored on 8 fg attempts w/ 8 assts/2 to's?

The quoted post from MileHigh that seems to have disappeared is exactly what I'm expecting. Next year's team is different; less dominant post presence, size and great shooters and passers on the wings. Everybody can run the floor; I'm expecting a lot of trapping 3/4 zone press and stuff like that to force tempo and pllay in transition even more.

Perfect for Josh. His detractors are gonna be proven wrong. There will be a style of play next year that will fit him, unlike this year when he gave up a lot of his game for the good of the team. Personally I can't wait to see him play "without the handcuffs".

Showtime.

Predicting a final four?

Hoopaholic
04-13-2017, 10:53 AM
Predicting a final four?

did you predict a final four in September of 2016?

Predicting final four rests on alot of luck, draw and the bounce of the ball or the untimely whistle of a ref or the lucky full court pass with a layup

With Perkins or Goss at the helm (barring any major injuries) we will compete for the WCC title, Compete for the auto birth into the tourny, will once again go dancing and have the potential to go deep into the tournament IMO

maynard g krebs
04-13-2017, 10:54 AM
He def made him better on defense. Able to take more risks. Perkins wasn't asked to get 15 points a game

More thinking of his assist/t.o. numbers, which were about equal the last 27 games of 2015-16 to Nigel's of 16-17. Josh's dropped w/ change in role and can be expected to rise again next year.

Hoopaholic
04-13-2017, 10:55 AM

Showtime.

hi explosive offense, lots of ball movement and attacking off dribble looking for open shooters with great driving lanes next year on offense...with some exceptional explosive wings and bigs crashing offensive glass relentlessly

trapping and and passing lane aggression will also be key component

different style next year but have the horses to have a great season once again

maynard g krebs
04-13-2017, 11:01 AM
Predicting a final four?

Of course not. That takes a lot of luck. Remember, if Mathews' slightly off line 3 pointer doesn't rattle in v WVa, last year could have been round of 16. Any number of other possibilities.

I'm predicting a very good, exciting, fun team to watch. And one that probably won't go as far due to the loss of 22+ pts, 12.7 rebounds, and 2.7 blocks from the center position. But a better overall perimeter team.

Will you again be predicting that this team will miss the tourney due to substandard guard play? Just since we're asking inane questions.

MickMick
04-13-2017, 11:05 AM
Of course not. That takes a lot of luck. Remember, if Mathews' slightly off line 3 pointer doesn't rattle in v WVa, last year could have been round of 16. Any number of other possibilities.

I'm predicting a very good, exciting, fun team to watch. And one that probably won't go as far due to the loss of 22+ pts, 12.7 rebounds, and 2.7 blocks from the center position. But a better overall perimeter team.

Will you again be predicting that this team will miss the tourney due to surbstandard guard play?

GU hasn't missed the tournament in almost twenty years.

I think I will choose to be rather quiet next season. I'll just watch and soak it all in. There will be enough little fires for you to stomp out without me adding to them.

maynard g krebs
04-13-2017, 11:08 AM
GU hasn't missed the tournament in almost twenty years.

I think I will choose to be rather quiet next season. I'll just watch and soak it all in. There will be enough little fires for you to stomp out without me adding to them.

Snark and condescension. Dude, I admire your work. You've apparently trolled me successfully, and now you appear to be gloating about it. Nice.

jazzdelmar
04-13-2017, 11:13 AM

Absolutely not.

jazzdelmar
04-13-2017, 11:17 AM

Showtime.

Without handcuffs he might play worse.

jazzdelmar
04-13-2017, 11:19 AM

Showtime.

Wasn't it Mile High who said JP would eschew the medical redshirt since he was going to be in the NBA by now?

former1dog
04-13-2017, 11:30 AM
Starting Guard
NCAA Tourney Wins

Perkins

Pangos

Bell

Frahm

Santangelo

Stepp

Bouldin

Raivio

Gray

Dickau

Pargo

Josh Perkins, in terms of team results, is the most accomplished starting guard in program history. He has exceeded in 2 seasons, what his peers did in (most cases) 4 season. Team results is of course the most important measure. I'm sure we can all agree on that.

Watching his play in the 2015-2016 season versus this season, he appears to have been a step slow this season. In fact he looks like he slowed down this season towards the end. I think his back issues and other potential injuries caused problems for him towards the end of this season.

I'm looking forward to a healthy and confident Josh Perkins next season.

I'm glad that Coach Few is the one who makes decisions for our team. I'm especially happy that most if not all the folks on this board have no say in the matter. We would be a helluva lot lesser of a team if that were the case, in my opinion.

MileHigh
04-13-2017, 12:10 PM
Wasn't it Mile High who said JP would eschew the medical redshirt since he was going to be in the NBA by now?

haha...that is funny! I never ever opined that JP was headed to the NBA after two seasons. What I did say, in relation to the med redshirt, was that I did not think it mattered, as I expected JP wouldn't stay in college after he got his degree.
That was my opinion at the time. My opinion has changed, and I think he will play that final fifth year of college ball and it will likely be at Gonzaga.

cggonzaga
04-13-2017, 12:25 PM
haha...that is funny! I never ever opined that JP was headed to the NBA after two seasons. What I did say, in relation to the med redshirt, was that I did not think it mattered, as I expected JP wouldn't stay in college after he got his degree.
That was my opinion at the time. My opinion has changed, and I think he will play that final fifth year of college ball and it will likely be at Gonzaga.

Don't bother with him Mile. No matter what Josh does it will never be good enough in jazz's eyes. I think many are excited about Josh next year. I believe him and Silas become the undisputed leaders of this team next season and with it their games will shine. I'm glad to see the staff fully believes in Josh and never suspected otherwise. I hope Josh shoots considerably more next year as well as takes the ball to the basket more. Again, I believe he shines when he can be more of a playmaker than a standstill jumpshooter. He obviously needs to continue to cut down on the unforced turnovers and I suspect he will.

gonzagafan62
04-13-2017, 12:40 PM
Without handcuffs he might play worse.

He did so terrible last season.... especially when it counted, right jazz? Playing well in WCC tournament and right through the trip to Chicago.

What a scribe

GrizZAG
04-13-2017, 01:05 PM
Back to the Big situation. Has Ryan announced any intention of leaving? I haven't heard anything official on that. IMO if Ryan puts in a serious body transformation effort successfully he could be our man. Of course we didn't see that from last year to this but is still a possibility if HE wants it. I believe Ryan has better hands than Karno and has shown he has footwork and moves that rival him as well. If he can get a tad more aggressive (ok maybe a bit more than a tad), I think it is within him to be a force. He can shoot free throws to boot. Some have written him off already. Any basis for that?

DixieZag
04-13-2017, 01:05 PM
I wanted Zach back almost more than Nigel simply because we have more depth at guard.

It's a good point. But, we have less depth at Nigels than bigs, even.

former1dog
04-13-2017, 01:22 PM
Back to the Big situation. Has Ryan announced any intention of leaving? I haven't heard anything official on that. IMO if Ryan puts in a serious body transformation effort successfully he could be our man. Of course we didn't see that from last year to this but is still a possibility if HE wants it. I believe Ryan has better hands than Karno and has shown he has footwork and moves that rival him as well. If he can get a tad more aggressive (ok maybe a bit more than a tad), I think it is within him to be a force. He can shoot free throws to boot. Some have written him off already. Any basis for that?

Unfortunately Ryan Edwards has had 4 years in the program and hasn't gotten in shape yet. By my eye test, it looked like he has gotten in worse shape. There is no magic bullet and the off season isn't long enough for Mr. Edwards to go from a guy get 0 minutes a game to being any kind of impact player.

Like you, I'm a Montana native and I was so looking forward to Ryan coming in, developing and becoming a great player, but it hasn't happened in 4 years and its not going to happen IMO. I read in another thread that he may decide to not play at all, as he is graduating in May.

DukeSilver
04-13-2017, 01:30 PM

What a surprise, Jazz is unnecessarily maligning both current players and other posters on the board ...

MDABE80
04-13-2017, 01:50 PM
I don't think Jazz is maligning anyone. It's his opinion ( usually accurate over time) that he's entitled to.
I doubt Mile High has been in any meeting at Gonzaga. Also I doubt the team is being turned over to him. THAT would be a mess.
I do remember the first minute of the 2nd half against UNC..two turns immediately. That's the kind of thing Jazz remembers. I do too. Just plain boneheaded plays at critical times.

As I've said before, Josh is a good player as an off guard with fill in duties at the PG spot.
In this offense though, he's just not suitable to be the PG. He's no Nigel......who is the type of superior player we need. He's no Pangos or Bell either.
He's got a decent set of numbers but they don't tell the story for him as a PG. He doesn't know how to run this Gonzaga team.

He won't be effective in this offense as a PG. Look at his last 6 tournament games.....or even the last 10 games of the regular season.

One more thing, Maynard....you pick one game against a weak team to make your point. It's just so weak, it doesn't merit a response. Please do better. Santa Clara? lol

Meanwhile, there is a long off season. Lots of idle time. And lots of differing opinions. I'd like to say that fighting and insulting get us nowhere. We're all Zag supporters. Opinions vary. No need to insult people who don't conform to your notions.

Zagricultural
04-13-2017, 01:53 PM
I am all aboard the Perkins train. I have said all year that he has more upside than any other guard on the team. I remember an ESPN article where an NBA Scout said that Josh was the guard most likely to have a good NBA career. That is why I mentioned earlier that the Collins departure is by far more concerning to me than Nigel. We are going to be excellent at Guard next year regardless of what Nigel does. Now, let's go get a quality replacement for Collins!

seacatfan
04-13-2017, 02:21 PM
Wasn't Perkins the PG on the team that caught fire at the end of the '16 season and steamrolled their way to the Sweet 16?

Zagricultural
04-13-2017, 02:38 PM
Wasn't Perkins the PG on the team that caught fire at the end of the '16 season and steamrolled their way to the Sweet 16?

Yes. Yes he was.

Coach Crazy
04-13-2017, 03:07 PM
I guess I have to go through this all...again. Cheese and crackers, folks.

Josh has gone through something that most don't. First, he comes in as a true freshman, in a system that is not germane to his natural playing style, and is the most highly-touted recruit for this program at the time...oh, and is probably the best passer (or one of them) in the country. And in that freshman year? He is going to be playing the off guard with one of the best PG's in program history, but gets his jaw broken. So, not only does he miss a year under that extensive tutelage, he can't even practice until his jaw is healed to a certain point.

THEN, the dude has to come in as a RS Freshman and run the offense as the primary point. And go through those growing pains and acclimating *while* playing and needing to be a system leader on this team. Oh, and don't forget that was the year that we almost didn't make the Dance.

THEN he comes back for his RS Sophomore season and is again asked to be a an off-ball guard.

He has been asked to do a lot through some pretty unsure and volatile conditions. There is a legitimate possibility that some of his current/recent struggles are from thinking too much/trying to stay within the lines. But given a chance to return to a familiar situation, and an off season to begin melding his natural style and adapted style, we could see a special year from Josh.

cggonzaga
04-13-2017, 03:12 PM
I don't think Jazz is maligning anyone. It's his opinion ( usually accurate over time) that he's entitled to.

That's laughable.

I doubt Mile High has been in any meeting at Gonzaga.

As far as I remember Mile High has a personal relationship with Josh. He's proven to be a good source over the years.

And I'll just disagree with about everything else you wrote as well. Nothing new there though.

cggonzaga
04-13-2017, 03:13 PM

Josh has gone through something that most don't. First, he comes in as a true freshman, in a system that is not germane to his natural playing style, and is the most highly-touted recruit for this program at the time...oh, and is probably the best passer (or one of them) in the country. And in that freshman year? He is going to be playing the off guard with one of the best PG's in program history, but gets his jaw broken. So, not only does he miss a year under that extensive tutelage, he can't even practice until his jaw is healed to a certain point.

THEN, the dude has to come in as a RS Freshman and run the offense as the primary point. And go through those growing pains and acclimating *while* playing and needing to be a system leader on this team. Oh, and don't forget that was the year that we almost didn't make the Dance.

THEN he comes back for his RS Sophomore season and is again asked to be a an off-ball guard.

He has been asked to do a lot through some pretty unsure and volatile conditions. There is a legitimate possibility that some of his current/recent struggles are from thinking too much/trying to stay within the lines. But given a chance to return to a familiar situation, and an off season to begin melding his natural style and adapted style, we could see a special year from Josh.

Excellent post Crazy.

webspinnre
04-13-2017, 03:39 PM

Important perspective.

gonzagafan62
04-13-2017, 03:50 PM

Brilliance at his finest. The Downers on josh really need to read this.

LouisianaZag
04-13-2017, 04:06 PM
Well, when I saw them play this year his stomach came out of the dressing room before the rest of him. If he thought he was actually going to play maybe he would shape up.

MileHigh
04-13-2017, 04:09 PM
I doubt Mile High has been in any meeting at Gonzaga. Also I doubt the team is being turned over to him. THAT would be a mess.
I

You are correct. I was not at any meeting at Gonzaga......but trust me there was a meeting.....and JP was told he should be prepared to make it his team next year.

I am sure you disagree with the staffs assessment of JP as a player, and you would never trust him to run your team as they did all of the 2015-16 season and this past season in a shared role with NWG But then again, they are one of the most successful staffs in the country, and you are....well.....a message board poster that probably never played the game at any significant level....

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Don't bother with him Mile. No matter what Josh does it will never be good enough in jazz's eyes. I think many are excited about Josh next year. I believe him and Silas become the undisputed leaders of this team next season and with it their games will shine. I'm glad to see the staff fully believes in Josh and never suspected otherwise. I hope Josh shoots considerably more next year as well as takes the ball to the basket more. Again, I believe he shines when he can be more of a playmaker than a standstill jumpshooter. He obviously needs to continue to cut down on the unforced turnovers and I suspect he will.

+1

I love JP and also look forward to seeing him and Silas lead the Zags next season. While JP's unforced turnovers are at times infuriating (see opening possession vs Xavier, start of 2nd half vs UNC...among others), imho they are the result of a lapse in focus and/or overconfidence. In short, they are fixable mental errors not a matter of talent or skill. This gives me great hope.

MDABE80
04-13-2017, 05:29 PM

Yes because Emac came alive. He led the team as a guard and as a superior defender. Odd season that one. I still can't believe we made it to the 16 and should have been 8.

MDABE80
04-13-2017, 05:32 PM
You are correct. I was not at any meeting at Gonzaga......but trust me there was a meeting.....and JP was told he should be prepared to make it his team next year.

I am sure you disagree with the staffs assessment of JP as a player, and you would never trust him to run your team as they did all of the 2015-16 season and this past season in a shared role with NWG But then again, they are one of the most successful staffs in the country, and you are....well.....a message board poster that probably never played the game at any significant level....

He's a good and serviceable SG or and off guard. No argument.
We need a Nigel to make this team work at a high level.
As for playing the game? Only HS. Few never played the game either....whatever "high level" means. He's done ok.

maynard g krebs
04-13-2017, 05:49 PM
One more thing, Maynard....you pick one game against a weak team to make your point. It's just so weak, it doesn't merit a response. Please do better. Santa Clara? lol

Meanwhile, there is a long off season. Lots of idle time. And lots of differing opinions. I'd like to say that fighting and insulting get us nowhere. We're all Zag supporters. Opinions vary. No need to insult people who don't conform to your notions.

LOL is right. Are you even aware of the concept of irony? First you insult me by mentioning one thing I said (out of context), and then you say no need to insult people whose opinions don't conform to yours. A new level in what I've come to call "Aberrish".

I have made other points about Josh, but don't feel the need to reiterate them all in every post. Coach Crazy has done a nice job with that above, with which I concur.

And while I'm at it, as to Jazz being right over time, or whatever it was you said, well, I'm still waiting for that lineup of 3 bigs.

dhozagfan08
04-13-2017, 05:53 PM
Looks like we should change the name of this thread. So frustrating trying to find news about how we are going to replace our centers, but instead the thread has turned into a debate about JP.

maynard g krebs
04-13-2017, 06:05 PM
Yes because Emac came alive. He led the team as a guard and as a superior defender. Odd season that one. I still can't believe we made it to the 16 and should have been 8.

As Ronald Reagan famously said, there you go again. In the 2016 NCAA tourney, in 3 games Josh had 15 assists and 7 turnovers. Eric had 8 assists and 11 turnovers. But of course in your mind those pesky little facts have nothing to do with anything. I do agree, though, that in spite of those numbers I thought EM was very good, As was Josh.

jazzdelmar
04-13-2017, 06:15 PM
As Ronald Reagan famously said, there you go again. In the 2016 NCAA tourney, in 3 games Josh had 15 assists and 7 turnovers. Eric had 8 assists and 11 turnovers. But of course in your mind those pesky little facts have nothing to do with anything. I do agree, though, that in spite of those numbers I thought EM was very good, As was Josh.

He botched the end of the Cuse game costing a spot in the E8 and his terrible turnovers in the NC game went along way to costing a NC.

maynard g krebs
04-13-2017, 06:30 PM
He botched the end of the Cuse game costing a spot in the E8 and his terrible turnovers in the NC game went along way to costing a NC.

All I can say is that if you, Abe, and Spy were coaching the team I doubt it would go as far. Of course, that's true of me as well, but I'm not the one disagreeing with the coaches on who should play where. Silly arguments are fun, though.

I, for one, am still grateful that Josh chose the Zags over the blue bloods that wanted him, and look forward to him continuing to build on his record as starting guard with the most NCAA tourney wins in Zag history.

cggonzaga
04-13-2017, 08:16 PM

So did 28% shooting, Karno going 1-9 from the field, Collins being in foul trouble, Goss making questionable decisions, poor officiating, etc. You really need to get over yourself. I have a strong feeling you do this just to get under people's skin and you're good at it. At least I hope that's why you do it and not because you have low basketball IQ.

maynard g krebs
04-13-2017, 08:35 PM
So did 28% shooting, Karno going 1-9 from the field, Collins being in foul trouble, Goss making questionable decisions, poor officiating, etc. You really need to get over yourself. I have a strong feeling you do this just to get under people's skin and you're good at it. At least I hope that's why you do it and not because you have low basketball IQ.

I'd say those two turnovers, his total for the game, had significantly less to do with the outcome than NWG's 5/17 shooting along w/ Karno's 1/8. Easy to forget, as well, that Josh's 13 1st half points on efficient shooting were the reason that lead existed at all.

Agree w/ the rest as well.