PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Recruits

Pages : 1 [2]

jazzdelmar
08-21-2017, 02:39 AM
Kamaka Hepa is class of 2018 who has not committed to any college yet. How have Zags "whiffed" on him?

Check other thread on 2018.

Zagdawg
08-21-2017, 08:20 AM
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/08/21/options-drying-up-for-top-ten-prospect-mitchell-robinson/

Kiddwell
08-21-2017, 11:51 AM
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/08/21/options-drying-up-for-top-ten-prospect-mitchell-robinson/

Why not offer this young man, have him practice against great competition, and have him bulk up with the GU weight program? Afterwards he might show gratitude by playing his redshirt freshman year, or not. If not, he still helps the squad in practices with his size/athleticism. Plus, we don't seem to be using all remaining scholarships anyway. Plus, afterwards we have an ambassador who maybe steers/influences other highly rated b-ballers our way. Plus, afterwards, and this is the best reason, the young man experiences college (maybe leading later to a completed degree somewhere).

So, yeah, offer...

:D

:]

Norwester
08-21-2017, 12:45 PM
Why not offer this young man, have him practice against great competition, and have him bulk up with the GU weight program? Afterwards he might show gratitude by playing his redshirt freshman year, or not. If not, he still helps the squad in practices with his size/athleticism. Plus, we don't seem to be using all remaining scholarships anyway. Plus, afterwards we have an ambassador who maybe steers/influences other highly rated b-ballers our way. Plus, afterwards, and this is the best reason, the young man experiences college (maybe leading later to a completed degree somewhere).

So, yeah, offer...

I can think of about $56,000 good reasons not to offer...

willandi
08-21-2017, 12:55 PM

So, yeah, offer...

I can thing of about $56,000 good reasons not to offer...

Could you please enumerate those reasons one by one?

It actually seems like it might be a good thing for the Zags. He might be one and done but he might find out that he needs more work and stays for a year, or two or even more. The money will not hurt the Zags, but the schollie could come with the strings that he has to stay academically eligible or repay the money.

Coach Crazy
08-22-2017, 10:16 AM
Sign him and take the risk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-22-2017, 12:17 PM
Sign him and take the risk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 Zags need quality competition in practice, particularly bigs so even if this guy wanted to redshirt one-and-done he could still help the team tremendously. He'd help himself even more by playing for the Zags in 2018-19 to show the scouts how much his game improved during his redshirt year.

doctorzag
08-22-2017, 02:36 PM
+1 Zags need quality competition in practice, particularly bigs so even if this guy wanted to redshirt one-and-done he could still help the team tremendously. He'd help himself even more by playing for the Zags in 2018-19 to show the scouts how much his game improved during his redshirt year.

This guy is deciding between Kansas and New Orleans so why are we even having this discussion?

willandi
08-22-2017, 05:51 PM
This guy is deciding between Kansas and New Orleans so why are we even having this discussion?

Didn't the article say that it was no at Kansas? If so, there has to be at least one other school than New Orleans to be between.

doctorzag
08-22-2017, 07:26 PM
Didn't the article say that it was no at Kansas? If so, there has to be at least one other school than New Orleans to be between.

Latest is New Orleans is out and he may still go back to W Kentucky. Only school he will be eligible at.

kitzbuel
08-22-2017, 07:31 PM

He sure managed to screw that up.

Kiddwell
08-23-2017, 07:01 AM
Fewie needs to get on the phone right now, and offer! So what if he says "no." Offer, offer. Can't win the lottery unless you buy a ticket.

:drool:

realtydog
08-23-2017, 07:25 AM
Fewie needs to get on the phone right now, and offer! So what if he says "no." Offer, offer. Can't win the lottery unless you buy a ticket.

:drool:

Is it not clear that he would only use GU for a year of practice to keep his skills sharp???? He is in the draft in 2018 ---

thebigsmoove
08-23-2017, 07:42 AM
Is it not clear that he would only use GU for a year of practice to keep his skills sharp???? He is in the draft in 2018 ---

The more obvious route for him at this point is to go overseas or play in the G-League for a year. That way he doesnt lose his chance at being a first round pick like so many before him. Of course its risky in that he could get hurt, but wouldnt that have been the case in College as well?

thebigsmoove
08-23-2017, 07:43 AM
i believe Terrance Ferguson had a similar situation to this last year and ended up playing in Australia for a year before ultimately getting drafted in the first round this year.

kitzbuel
08-24-2017, 05:59 AM
The more obvious route for him at this point is to go overseas or play in the G-League for a year. That way he doesnt lose his chance at being a first round pick like so many before him. Of course its risky in that he could get hurt, but wouldnt that have been the case in College as well?Looks like he is going to just work out for a year and skip college.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2726146-5-star-prospect-mitchell-robinson-reportedly-to-skip-college-focus-on-nba-draft

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

doctorzag
09-02-2017, 03:27 PM
Looks like its not going to happen. Two scholarships will go unfilled. Jeremy Jones will probably grab one.

jazzdelmar
09-02-2017, 03:49 PM
Looks like its not going to happen. Two scholarships will go unfilled. Jeremy Jones will probably grab one.

Why the heartbreak over a 3 star swingman ranked in triple digits? We've got better.

doctorzag
09-02-2017, 04:26 PM
Why the heartbreak over a 3 star swingman ranked in triple digits? We've got better.

No heartbreak here. Just reporting the obvious. I agree we already are covered at the guard.

sittingon50
09-02-2017, 06:32 PM

What's the source, doc?

Bogozags
09-03-2017, 09:19 PM
What's the source, doc?

DITTO...

Zagdawg
09-14-2017, 10:07 AM
2vD3‏ @Vante_doutrive5 2h2 hours ago
More
I'm glad to announce that I have committed to the university of Utah. #GoUtes ����⏳�� – at University of Utah

2017 SG Devante Doutrive

thespywhozaggedme
09-14-2017, 10:17 AM
More
I'm glad to announce that I have committed to the university of Utah. #GoUtes ����⏳�� – at University of Utah

2017 SG Devante Doutrive

HASN'T THEIR FALL SEMESTER STARTED YET?

jazzdelmar
09-14-2017, 10:17 AM
More

2017 SG Devante Doutrive

Good for Larry K., a great guy.

sittingon50
09-14-2017, 12:23 PM
HASN'T THEIR FALL SEMESTER STARTED YET?

Yup:

http://registrar.utah.edu/academic-calendars/fall2017.php

DixieZag
09-14-2017, 03:11 PM
Good for Larry K., a great guy.

I would have no qualms at all if my son wanted to play for him.

And the U of U is a cool place.

Good ending for the kid.

thespywhozaggedme
09-14-2017, 05:26 PM
Yup:

http://registrar.utah.edu/academic-calendars/fall2017.php

So then how can he be a 2017 recruit?

maynard g krebs
09-14-2017, 06:53 PM
So then how can he be a 2017 recruit?

Redshirting.

ZagNative
09-14-2017, 07:23 PM
Anybody know why he waited so long to commit? Issues with grades/eligibility?

thespywhozaggedme
09-14-2017, 08:09 PM
Redshirting.

Oh, duh that makes sense. I didn't even think of that. Thanks