PDA

View Full Version : The impact to the Zags brand....

montanazag88
04-09-2017, 08:21 AM
This past weekend in Glendale was nothing short of epic for Zags fans. However, it was something altogether different for us than for the other three schools, at least from my perspective.

The other schools were well represented, but the Zagmania seemed to be off the charts in terms of the number of fans wanting to see GU win. Maybe it's been mentioned already...during the semi-final, the majority of fans were pulling for us and in the final....easily 70% of the crowd made no bones about who they wanted to win. The Gonzaga red final four t-shirts (and I think there were only 8-10 shirt options) sold out at two stations before the semi-final began. The outdoor stations only had a couple sizes left (mostly $30.00 ea.) There was a sea of red and blue...for every light blue shirt, at least 2-3 red or red/blue shirts (excluding the SC fan section).

Among Zags fans the conversation seemed to always include a question about the impact of this milestone on the program and how the revenues alone would provide for "next level" opportunities. A lot of this has been discussed, but I am curious if anyone knows how revenues are allocated within the overall GU budget....and how the coaches are impacted by success at this level.

Words cannot describe how "America's Team" was the talk of the weekend.

MickMick
04-09-2017, 09:18 AM
The brand was really helped this season. That is for sure.

MDABE80
04-09-2017, 10:46 AM
Weneed to put about 3 FF's together in the next 5 years. One thing: SInce we've had a taste of the promised land, I'm thinking this school , these fans, this particular coach will be working hard to revisit the FF soon. It's HUGE that we got there. New fans recruited. The chore will be howto convert this one event as a springboard to being a high major, always watched team. Being the coach of the year should help Few tremendously as he recruits.
I'd agree with Mick.
We 've reached a new level. I was at UCLA and a few other schools this past week. ZAGS sweatshirt on the Granddaughter. How many people stopped us with a "go zags" with big smiles ? A LOT! Every campus. Our brand is huge right now.

VaBeachZAG
04-09-2017, 01:28 PM
Weneed to put about 3 FF's together in the next 5 years. One thing: SInce we've had a taste of the promised land, I'm thinking this school , these fans, this particular coach will be working hard to revisit the FF soon. It's HUGE that we got there. New fans recruited. The chore will be howto convert this one event as a springboard to being a high major, always watched team. Being the coach of the year should help Few tremendously as he recruits.
I'd agree with Mick.
We 've reached a new level. I was at UCLA and a few other schools this past week. ZAGS sweatshirt on the Granddaughter. How many people stopped us with a "go zags" with big smiles ? A LOT! Every campus. Our brand is huge right now. Odds of a final four repeat for next season would be quite high IF everyone eligible to return did so.

gmo
04-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Odds of a final four repeat for next season would be quite high IF everyone eligible to return did so.

Less than a 1% chance I'm afraid. Still think this team can be very, very good next year.

rennis
04-10-2017, 06:44 AM
It was obvious there was a lot of pent-up demand for that final four appearance. In regards to the merchandise especially. Down at the Fan Fest in the convention center there wasn't a thread of Gonzaga gear left by Sunday afternoon. The other three schools? Plenty.

I searched for 2+ days before I found something I could buy for my wife, after covering all of Glendale, all of Scottsdale, and downtown. I didn't get into town until game time on Saturday and that was too late. Fresh gear showed up on Monday in Glendale. Otherwise I'd have been skunked.

Zag_Dad
04-10-2017, 07:13 AM
Less than a 1% chance I'm afraid. Still think this team can be very, very good next year.

Assuming Collins leaves , I am eager to see how Larsen fills in at Center. It looks like he has put on a lot of muscle since his arrival at GU. Even if we lose Collins and NWG, I think the Zags are gonna be a top 20 team to start the year and could string together a lot of wins.