PDA

View Full Version : A Technical question about scholarships.

ZagsGoZags
04-08-2017, 06:08 PM
I realize this question may be something most people already know, so I apologize, but I am curious how it works.

Let's say two burger boys show a lot of interest in the zags, like Zach Collins did.
Hypthetical.
WHAT IF we had no scholarships to offer these two, let's say PG and PF or Center.
Question One: Can a team decline to offer a scholarship for the coming season, to their two least skilled scholarship players?
Are scholarships offered for four years to Freshmen players and is that the contract?
If a team can LEGALLY revoke a scholarship offer (in April or May) to a player that has already played 3 scholarship years, to make room for a 5-star player that wants to be on a team, has it ever been done?
Would this be a mine field legally?
I am not trying to be disloyal to anybody,
but I am curious about this question.

Zagdawg
04-08-2017, 06:26 PM
Scholarships are year to year--- it does not bode well for a program to not continue a players scholarship as competing coaches can use this as ammunition as to why a recruit should not pursue a specific program. A player can likewise decide to leave a program whenever they want.

Some programs have actually guaranteed scholarships for the entire 4 years--but it is pretty rare.

Birddog
04-08-2017, 06:45 PM
Scholarships are year to year---.

This is all you have to know. Typically, if after a player review it is decided that that player would be best served by moving on, "relocation services" are provided.

Markburn1
04-08-2017, 07:19 PM
USC trying to change the culture. For the better, in my opinion.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-scholarships-ncaa-20140624-story.html

Markburn1
04-08-2017, 07:27 PM
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/scholarships

ZagsGoZags
04-08-2017, 07:45 PM
so could it be said it is legally possible, but unethical to the student?

Has it ever been done, or is it rare?

maynard g krebs
04-08-2017, 07:55 PM
so could it be said it is legally possible, but unethical to the student?

Has it ever been done, or is it rare?

Fairly common, though as said above, the coach will generally help the player find a landing spot, usually at a lower level. Issaquah's Hans Gasser at UW is an example that comes to mind; actually stayed on the team and played as a walkon after Romar took away his scholly.

"At the beginning, I was angry about it", Gasser said. "but I really didn't want to transfer anywhere." Yeah, Romar is a high character guy all right.

thespywhozaggedme
04-08-2017, 08:41 PM
Off the top of my head PMac, Arop, GG, Vilarino, the two Mathii and the kid from Maine. I'm sure there were others. College basketball is big business and they all do it.

soccerdud
04-09-2017, 12:36 AM
Off the top of my head PMac, Arop, GG, Vilarino, the two Mathii and the kid from Maine. I'm sure there were others. College basketball is big business and they all do it.

just ftr, i'm pretty sure that spy has no inside knowledge here and this list is not definitive. arop, in particular, i'm quite sure didn't have his scholly pulled out from under him. the others, it's just speculation. regardless of how confidently he phrased it, i would highly recommend taking his post with a grain (or spoonful) of salt. not to say we wouldn't/don't do that-- but he has no more actual knowledge about this than you do, regardless of how he tries to come off.

Sarenyon
04-09-2017, 04:50 AM
Thought PMac finished through GU, GG wanted to move back to IOWA (play for Creighton) - and ended up being great for that team just like Ryan S with OK, BolKong was grades, The others - the coaches worked with is the best way to put it.

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2017, 05:00 AM
just ftr, i'm pretty sure that spy has no inside knowledge here and this list is not definitive. arop, in particular, i'm quite sure didn't have his scholly pulled out from under him. the others, it's just speculation. regardless of how confidently he phrased it, i would highly recommend taking his post with a grain (or spoonful) of salt. not to say we wouldn't/don't do that-- but he has no more actual knowledge about this than you do, regardless of how he tries to come off.

Just to be clear, it's not explicit, it's more like during the end of season review it goes something like this, "it's probably best for everyone involved that you find a different school to play at and we'll help in every way possible to find the right fit
for you".

But yeah, as far as insider knowledge, when someone routinely refers themselves as "some anonymous dork on a message board", I'm pretty sure that most people realize that. But I'm glad you were there for them to clear it up.

GoZags
04-09-2017, 05:51 AM

Bingo.

The conversations he describes "may" have occurred with the guys on his list. Or maybe not. The only one I know for sure was with Jimmy Tricco ... a classic "Zag" who ended up at Duquesne . I'm pretty sure that there are transfers out that are the kids' idea, and transfers out that are the staffs' idea. But again, the only one I'm 100 percent sure about (where it wasn't the kid's idea/plan) was Tricco.

That's when I knew there was a price to pay for the new and improved Basketball program at Gonzaga.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-09-2017, 06:00 AM
Thought PMac finished through GU, GG wanted to move back to IOWA (play for Creighton) - and ended up being great for that team just like Ryan S with OK, BolKong was grades, The others - the coaches worked with is the best way to put it.

My recollection was that PMAC finished his career at Marshall using the grad transfer option.

Zagdawg
04-09-2017, 06:52 AM
We have had players leave due to wanting additional playing time and we have had a couple of players leave (not attend) to pursue their football aspirations-- transfers happen quite frequently across the country as we can see from the transfer list each year.

On a positive note we have been the recipients of some very good grad transfers and transfers that have helped our recent run.

zagdontzig
04-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Ask Isaac Neilson from how he ended up from BYU to UVU.

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/byusports/2427072-155/byu-basketball-neilson-shocked-that-he

gonzagafan62
04-09-2017, 04:43 PM
My recollection was that PMAC finished his career at Marshall using the grad transfer option.

He did you're 100% accurate. Graduated in 3 years

OntZags
04-09-2017, 05:04 PM
Ask Isaac Neilson from how he ended up from BYU to UVU.

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/byusports/2427072-155/byu-basketball-neilson-shocked-that-he

While I'm not a huge fan of the practice I do understand it as long the program is reasonable in how it's brought up. (eg. helping them find opportunities elsewhere, giving them chance to be preferred walk-on assuming no attitude issues and giving well in advance notice what the player needs to improve on in order to avoid a scenario in the future)

That said it's awesome how Nielson responded lol. He scored a career high 26 points and helped lead UVU over BYU in Provo. I bet he had a chip on his shoulder in that game lol. :o