PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Edwards reflects on the Final Four

Section 116
04-08-2017, 02:42 PM
If this one has been posted I missed it, sorry. If not here are some reflections from a hard working member of the GU "Red Team" who gets to bang with Karnowski every day and gets rewarded with a minute or two of game time:

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/article/20170406/ARTICLE/170409905

Zags_Fanatic
04-08-2017, 02:56 PM
Wow, sounds like there is a chance that he will simply end his Gonzaga career and move on with life. Would be an interesting decision but it would definitely clear up the scholarship situation for a high level transfer. Honestly it would probably be the best decision for both parties.

The future is still uncertain for Edwards. He will graduate from Gonzaga in May, still holding a year of eligibility on the court. He said he is undecided on playing another season or heading into the workforce.

Zag_Dad
04-08-2017, 03:12 PM
Wow, sounds like there is a chance that he will simply end his Gonzaga career and move on with life. Would be an interesting decision but it would definitely clear up the scholarship situation for a high level transfer. Honestly it would probably be the best decision for both parties.

Crazy to think that he could just walk away with one more year of eligibility left. No talk of transferring where he might be a starter? I hope he stays and works on a Master's degree. With the loss of Karnowski and potentially Collins I could see him getting more play time on next year's team.

He will always have the memories he described in the interview attached within this thread, which is pretty darn cool.

Hoopaholic
04-08-2017, 04:00 PM
Great kid. Tough decision for him but I am sure he and the family will do what is in his best long term interest

Coach Crazy
04-08-2017, 04:13 PM
Crazy to think that he could just walk away with one more year of eligibility left. No talk of transferring where he might be a starter? I hope he stays and works on a Master's degree. With the loss of Karnowski and potentially Collins I could see him getting more play time on next year's team.

He will always have the memories he described in the interview attached within this thread, which is pretty darn cool.

Do you believe this is beneficial for the team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zags_Fanatic
04-08-2017, 04:21 PM

I like Ryan, he has shown flashes of potential but doesn't seem terribly motivated. The fact of the matter is that any high level transfer that the staff could bring in would be an upgrade on the court.

jazzdelmar
04-08-2017, 04:30 PM

Not even a little.

MontanaCoyote
04-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Went back to class! This is Gonzaga, not.........
Karno to get his Masters!
NWG Three Point . Damn near four.

Their commitment to education comes through, too. Just compare their interviews , response to questions. Several cuts above if you know what I'm saying. Actually give empirical support to the ideal of the student athlete. Good on our boys,
Good on Gonzaga!

hondo
04-08-2017, 04:44 PM
I want to speak with the prof that gave NWG less than an A.

WBM
04-08-2017, 05:05 PM
Link isn't working for me, anyone have a correct link?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

cggonzaga
04-08-2017, 05:21 PM
Doesn't Ryan have two years of eligibility left? His first year, 2014-15, he redshirted, leaving him 2015-16, 2016-17, and 2017-18, and 2018-19 remaining.

He started at GU in 2013-14 season.

Section 116
04-08-2017, 05:21 PM
WBM: Search Daily Inter Lake Sports. Click on first result for that. Scroll down to "Also on Web". The article is there.

Zags_Fanatic
04-08-2017, 05:24 PM
Not even a little.

Alright, I'll bite. Curious about your reasoning here.

ZagsGoZags
04-08-2017, 05:30 PM
It is hard for me to understand if he doesn't try out to play overseas. I would think his game would improve significantly if he made that his 'job after college' for awhile. Everyone knows that playing time in any sport is better than riding the bench for developing skills under pressure. Practice is demanding but not the same type of pressure. Maybe he does not want pressure of any kind. Big men develop more slowly than basketball smaller men generally, and he has had some terrific trial by fire experiences working out with a top ten team for all these years. The playing time, and bucks would prepare him well for journalism and sportscasting. He is master of his own ship, and should be. He has his own value system. But everyone likes to earn money for their work, even artists and clergy, and it would just be hard for ME to understand his decision to not try to make some overseas money at his age. Maybe his parents own 45,000 acres of Montana land, I don't know.

ZagNative
04-08-2017, 05:35 PM
He started at GU in 2013-14 season.Poor ZN got confused. Apologies.

WBM
04-08-2017, 05:51 PM
WBM: Search Daily Inter Lake Sports. Click on first result for that. Scroll down to "Also on Web". The article is there.
Thank you, I found it that way. Good read, and I'm glad Ryan has enjoyed these experiences.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

zagamatic
04-08-2017, 06:46 PM
I'm a believer that he has the tools to be a great contributor to any team IF he puts in the effort and heart. But,I'll be completely honest in saying that I just don't think that he has it in him anymore. It's in his body language, it's in the fact that he's been known to jack up 3's when he does get into games, which is not what he should be doing. It's a lot of little things that I see that say to me it would be best for both parties to free up a scholarship

Hoopaholic
04-08-2017, 09:35 PM
I'm a believer that he has the tools to be a great contributor to any team IF he puts in the effort and heart. But,I'll be completely honest in saying that I just don't think that he has it in him anymore. It's in his body language, it's in the fact that he's been known to jack up 3's when he does get into games, which is not what he should be doing. It's a lot of little things that I see that say to me it would be best for both parties to free up a scholarship
Revisionist history? Jack up threes when he gets in? He took one all year and was at end of clock

JPtheBeasta
04-08-2017, 10:04 PM
This thread kinda gives me the creeps.

Coach Crazy
04-09-2017, 05:46 AM
This thread kinda gives me the creeps.

Why?

Zagcity
04-09-2017, 05:50 AM
Why?

On that note, time to shutter down

Coach Crazy
04-09-2017, 06:09 AM
On that note, time to shutter down

I already have an idea why, still asking the question. If talking about whether or not a player should be on this team creeps someone out (especially one that is at the end of the bench and didn't respect his schollie enough to come in in shape, this season), then I don't know what to tell you.

I understand that players, coaches, and parents read these boards. And while I don't want to be a jerk, I also don't feel it is justified in avoiding a topic that directly affects this program.

Also, coaches have discussions about player roster and contribution. Am I privy to the staff conversations on Ryan? No. But I would not be surprised if his spot was a topic of conversation and review. It is about a family, but it is as much about winning. And I have less sympathy for a player that didn't come in prepared to contribute at the level necessary to compete.