PDA

View Full Version : I'm over the disappointment of the Championship Game, but...

Malastein
04-08-2017, 01:05 PM
I don't want to watch it again, and I've avoided UNC's championship coverage as well. Not that I'm not happy for them, but I just don't want to read about what almost was Gonzaga's ultimate success in basketball. We shall see how this offseason shakes out in regards to next year's roster, but the sky is the limit for what Gonzaga can do on the basketball court. We are very blessed to have someone like Mark Few to guide the program into something which can only be described as elite. We are in the best years for the basketball program, and I think Mark Few becomes the Coach K of the west coast. It's a testament to his integrity that he has stuck to building both amazing rosters, but also improving his coaching staff as well. This loyalty will only resonate with future recruits. I believe we are entering the prime of Coach Few's already illustrious career.

gonzagafan62
04-08-2017, 01:39 PM
I've watched it over and over. Just to see exactly what went wrong. It's been a tough week for all of us.

Nobody does more with less than Few and you can finally see what he does when he has elite talent. I'm with you. I think we are just seeing the top of the iceberg with few (provided he still stays with us another decade)

What sucks is that we never know if we are going to make it back to that spot ever again. I think that's what kinda hurts a little bit. There's always hope and there's always a way to get there but it's just a one and done tournmanet.

Good news is I don't think it'll take another 20 tourneys to make me another final four.

We may not win the title but we are going to have a heck of a lot of fun trying. I got faith in this group, the staff the players and of course Few ... I've never given up and I won't stop now. I think we will get a title soon.

ZagMan in Philly
04-08-2017, 02:19 PM
I did not even open the Sports Illustrated i got this week.
Probably will never read it. Hope i will get over it one day.

MontanaCoyote
04-08-2017, 05:01 PM
I did not even open the Sport Illustrated i got this week.
Probably will never read it.

Do the same thing. Just think about our boys, as a team, as individuals. Take solace in the fact that they are all really good kids that came together as one. It's sometimes said about a team that its sum was better than its parts. Can't say that about these Zag's. Co equals. Beautiful parts, great team.

TravelinZag
04-09-2017, 06:08 AM
Do the same thing. Just think about our boys, as a team, as individuals. Take solace in the fact that they are all really good kids that came together as one. It's sometimes said about a team that its sum was better than its parts. Can't say that about these Zag's. Co equals. Beautiful parts, great team.

+1 You restored my perspective. Thank you.

TravelinZag
04-09-2017, 06:53 AM
UNC had a player, Berry, who played a key roll for his team. Injured, or aggravated an ankle injury during the tournament. Still not recovered fully by the semi-finals: shot 2 for 14, and as an 80% free throw shooter, missed 2 short at the end of that game. Recovered enough for the final against the Zags to have a brilliant first half.

Nigel, a key player for the Zags and their finisher at the end of games, injured an ankle later than Berry, then reinjured the ankle with 1:40 remaining in the championship, and GU up by one. After a timeout, he tried valiantly to continue, but the ankle wouldn't allow the lift he need for two shots. The Zags never scored again, and lost. Tragic.

What would have happened without those injuries? We'll never know.

However, we can applaud the courage, determination and fortitude of both players, and their teams. Having watched it live, I do. And I ask you to do so also.

Congratulations Tarheels, on avenging your last-second loss of the national championship game by winning your sixth championship.

Congratulations Zags, for a season that busted doors, broke ceilings, and came within 100 seconds of being champions. There will be other seasons, and you have paved the way!

For now, take pride in your unprecedented success, and know how proud a school, a city and thousands across the nation are of you, and how much we appreciate your gift!

Thanks Zags! The best ever! So far, and when another Zag team completes your journey, we will remember that you showed them the way.

beaverzag
04-09-2017, 09:10 AM
I did not even open the Sports Illustrated i got this week.
Probably will never read it. Hope i will get over it one day.

Good move. The article barely mentions the Zags.

MickMick
04-09-2017, 09:15 AM
I am thrilled with this season. So happy that Mark Few is getting his proper due.

It makes watching the replay tolerable.

Watching it again confirms what I saw the first go round. UNC's length and defensive intensity made them the better team. No shame in that.

GU's advantage all season long was their defensive length. They ran into a better version of themselves.

MontanaCoyote
04-09-2017, 11:49 AM
+1 You restored my perspective. Thank you.

You bet! Perspective is a beautiful thing. I know 'cause I remember when I was younger and didn't have it!

This team did better than any other Zag team in history. Final Four and Championship game. Look back at all the posts before the season began this year and even well into it......Questions, doubts, concerns and some very harsh critiques about players and even Coach Few.........remember the hundreds of posts on offensive rebounding? Pushed all that aside, got to, and rode KenPom at #1 all the way to the end.

Not saying that all the critiques of the Zag's weren't warranted, just saying this; In December how many would have taken this record and run with it: Zag's win league championship; Zag's win WCC tournament; Zag's make Final Four; Zag's play in championship game; Zag's lose 2 games all season; Zag's ranked # 1 in both AP and Coaches polls; Few voted Coach of the Year; Zag's finish #1 KenPom ?

That's not only perspective, it's testimony that when all's said and done, everything is relative. Relative to previous Zag teams and relative to the 350 + teams that would give the world to have achieved what the Zag's did, these Zag's are champions. This Zag's team climbed to the top of basketballs highest mountain. They weren't able to take that one last step to the summit, but doesn't mean they didn't make it to the top.

MickMick
04-09-2017, 01:20 PM
You bet! Perspective is a beautiful thing. I know 'cause I remember when I was younger and didn't have it!

This team did better than any other Zag team in history. Final Four and Championship game. Look back at all the posts before the season began this year and even well into it......Questions, doubts, concerns and some very harsh critiques about players and even Coach Few.........remember the hundreds of posts on offensive rebounding? Pushed all that aside, got to, and rode KenPom at #1 all the way to the end.

Not saying that all the critiques of the Zag's weren't warranted, just saying this; In December how many would have taken this record and run with it: Zag's win league championship; Zag's win WCC tournament; Zag's make Final Four; Zag's play in championship game; Zag's lose 2 games all season; Zag's ranked # 1 in both AP and Coaches polls; Zag's finish #1 KenPom ?

That's not only perspective, it's testimony that when all's said and done, everything is relative. Relative to previous Zag teams and relative to the 350 + teams that would give the world to have achieved what the Zag's did, these Zag's are champions. This Zag's team climbed to the top of basketballs highest mountain. They weren't able to take that one last step to the summit, but doesn't mean they didn't make it to the top.

The sample size needed to determine this team's potential was the Advocare invitational. The Zag's defensive length against P5 competition was put on display for the first time and certainly indicated that this version of the Zags was truly different than previous versions. In short, their defensive prowess was demonstrated early. The only question was if the team could compete at an elite level on the offensive end to compliment that defense. Now that the season is complete, we now know that the offense could be great at times, but could also struggle through significant stretches, and it really didn't matter what level of competition they were facing when the offensive struggles occured.

What was never in question, though, was that the defense was truly elite, truly unique relative to Gonzaga's historical standards, and certainly good enough to carry the team at crucial times in post season.

Zagsker
04-11-2017, 07:17 AM
Well, so far I have made it to opening tip...hope to complete the 1st half by end of May

BayAreaZagFan
04-11-2017, 11:11 AM
In December how many would have taken this record and run with it: Zag's win league championship; Zag's win WCC tournament; Zag's make Final Four; Zag's play in championship game; Zag's lose 2 games all season; Zag's ranked # 1 in both AP and Coaches polls; Few voted Coach of the Year; Zag's finish #1 KenPom ?

That is a nice list of accomplishments, but I'd trade them all for just having scored 7 more points last Monday night.

I haven't watched the game yet, although I probably will. I haven't read my SI yet, although I probably will. I have a really nice National Championship "Who will cut down the nets?" t-shirt that I bought and wore in AZ on the Sunday before the game that I'll never wear again, but I'll probably save it.

That being said, I'm mostly over the disappointment, too. And I already can't wait for next year!

CDC84
04-11-2017, 11:32 AM
I am still hurting. It was a missed opportunity. If Karno had only hit 6 point blank shots that he made 97% of the time during his GU career. If Nigel hadn't gotten hurt. His competitiveness wouldn't allow him to admit that he wasn't in a position to take those final shots. Few's loyalty and trust in Nigel prevented him from giving those shots to healthier player......

Goshzagit
04-11-2017, 11:42 AM
I am still hurting. It was a missed opportunity. If Karno had only hit 6 point blank shots that he made 97% of the time during his GU career. If Nigel hadn't gotten hurt. His competitiveness wouldn't allow him to admit that he wasn't in a position to take those final shots. Few's loyalty and trust in Nigel prevented him from giving those shots to healthier player......

Or if Collins even logs 5 more mins...only played 12 mins vs UNC, yet still had 9 pts, 7 rebs, 3 blks. Unreal.

Was incredibly disappointed in Few's decision to let NWG take the shot when we were down 1 & he just rolled his ankle. Coach Few evem admitted this in later interviews, saying we called his #, but his ankle wasn't good.

Didn't say a thing then, as NWG was our go to leader, but 30 seconds after he tweaks his ankle and he takes a fadaway 2....the type of shot where you need all the leg strength you can muster.

Just a poor, in the moment decision by both parties.

I really think the game came down to overplaying Karno and underplaying Collins, due to foul trouble on both accounts. Zach was dominant and actually making his beautiful post up moves.

Also, UNC defense wasnt abused nearly as much by playing two fresh 7 foot centers all game.

CDC84
04-11-2017, 11:52 AM
Plus, UNC made some real tough plays at the end. That Hicks shot....19/20 times he misses it.

Zagceo
04-11-2017, 01:49 PM
Plus, UNC made some real tough plays at the end. That Hicks shot....19/20 times he misses it.

lot easier to make than you think

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag58/Corey_Olson/IMG_1050_zpsnn9yj3pz.jpg

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag58/Corey_Olson/IMG_2158_zpsxqqhgbbh.jpg

Zagceo
04-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Maryland President on UNC scandal

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2017/04/11/maryland-president-wallace-loh-unc-academic-scandal/100317350/

MontanaCoyote
04-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Maryland President on UNC scandal

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2017/04/11/maryland-president-wallace-loh-unc-academic-scandal/100317350/

Rather be dirty and win or clean and lose? OK, better to be clean and win, sure. For now, we know we're clean and we should be proud of that. And in the long run that's what really counts. For later, we'll win it clean and nothing will top it.

229SintoZag
04-11-2017, 03:45 PM

I was there for the game, and I waited for a bit, but finally watched the game on DVR over this weekend. What I got on the television that I did not get in person is just how unreal it was that Karno was missing those shots. I mean, he makes those without fail, all year long. Even if he just made 4 of 6, or if he just made 2 of 6 and Goss and a couple others make free throws they normally make, we win this game. Despite the foul trouble, some very silly turnovers, etc.

I also agree that if Collins had not fouled out we win the game. UNC had no answer for him defensively. He also was a great rim protector--perhaps too good given his fouls, but he altered or blocked a significant number of shots that UNC was accustomed to making.

That said, both Carolina and Butler have returned to the title game the very next year after a loss just this past decade. I remain hopeful that the window is not closed for Gonzaga and for many of the players who were on the floor in Glendale.

Zagceo
04-11-2017, 03:49 PM
I was there for the game, and I waited for a bit, but finally watched the game on DVR over this weekend. What I got on the television that I did not get in person is just how unreal it was that Karno was missing those shots. I mean, he makes those without fail, all year long. Even if he just made 4 of 6, or if he just made 2 of 6 and Goss and a couple others make free throws they normally make, we win this game. Despite the foul trouble, some very silly turnovers, etc.

I also agree that if Collins had not fouled out we win the game. UNC had no answer for him defensively. He also was a great rim protector--perhaps too good given his fouls, but he altered or blocked a significant number of shots that UNC was accustomed to making.

That said, both Carolina and Butler have returned to the title game the very next year after a loss just this past decade. I remain hopeful that the window is now closed for Gonzaga and for many of the players who were on the floor in Glendale.

post game presser.......Przemek says the thing he'll remember most from the game is all the layups he missed.

MontanaCoyote
04-11-2017, 05:35 PM
post game presser.......Przemek says the thing he'll remember most from the game is all the layups he missed.

He's an honest kid! But he cannot, should not and must not allow this to be a weight on his shoulders.

As an old timer (and, believe it or not, the only other time I've even cared about who won the championship game) I watched Adolph Rupp's Kentucky team beat Seattle University and Elgin Baylor. The great Elgin Baylor had an off night!
Rupp's game plan was to get Elgin into foul trouble, primarily offensive fouls. It worked. I think Elgin scored 12 or more points under his average of around 32 ppg. If he had scored just 7 under, SU would have won.

Seattle U didn't have much to off set Baylor's "off" night. The Zag's had plenty too counter Shem's missed bunnies and they damn near did it. What was Shem, 4 puts below his average, + 3 on rebounds, 7-9 from the line?

CBS........."Without [Shem] Gonzaga's not in Arizona."