PDA

View Full Version : How will it effect the GU Basketball program if ...

former1dog
04-07-2017, 11:56 AM
... Collins is a one and done this year?

Please, lets limit this conversation as to the effect on the program.

There is already more than one thread dealing with if he should or shouldn't go pro this year, that doesn't need to be rehashed in this thread.

DixieZag
04-07-2017, 12:02 PM
I am weary of the "in the long term it helps the program...." even if it's true. It's also true that it'd be nice to win now. If - please god - NWG and Collins came back, we'd be pre-season number one (right?) and a whole lotta love coming in, Norvelle, et al.

If he is a one and done this year, perhaps the biggest bonus would be we'd be more likely to get bigs tx'ing that are good kids but figure the way to the NBA runs through Spokane. Seems like we're already lined up well with HS kids. Dunno.

Markburn1
04-07-2017, 12:06 PM
The initial effect is an obvious short term one. His absence from next year's roster will be the difference between a very good team and a potential repeat of a Final Four appearance.

Long term effects are difficult to quantify. I believe the success of Sabonis combined with the high draft status of Collins will cause potential recruits to assess Gonzaga in a more positive light in the future. Should another high draft pick emerge in the next couple of years, five star high school kids will start to see Gonzaga as a legitimate path to their biggest aspirations.

thespywhozaggedme
04-07-2017, 12:23 PM
Not sure what you mean by "affect the program". Do you mean long term as in the perception across the nation? or do you literally mean for next season?

spike_jr
04-07-2017, 12:27 PM
Great Question, F1D. I have been thinking about it and I am just not sure of the answer. I do believe that it makes little difference to players that are known to be 1 and done, where they go to school. Wherever it is, they know it is only a 1 year detour on the way to a professional career. It seems to be a double edged sword. Great for exposure and it may get us in the door with recruits that would normally take a pass, but continually getting these players could be a net negative on the program over time.

The biggest problem I see with a one and done is that it can become a recruiting issue. Player X, who is a highly sought after recruit, does not want to come to GU because you already have player Y, who is a stud, playing the same position. Now player Y turns out to be a 1 and done and you now have the difficulty of filling that void with a player of the same caliber as Y (and of course, X is no longer available). If the coaching staff is caught off guard, it makes it that much more difficult as they may have not been looking to replace Y for at least another year.

I think the real question is whether or not we have the reputation and/or the ability via recruiting/grad transfer to overcome the void caused by 1 and done. Matters would be compounded this year if ZC leaves as will will not have a center with any D1 experience (apologies to Mr Edwards) for 17-18. Larson may be the 2nd coming, but has not played a minute and has a surgically repaired knee.

zagfan24
04-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Being a one and done could help marginally in the long term. Being a lottery pick helps slightly more. Being a high level NBA player would likely help the most. Just look at how much mileage Romar got from a recruiting standpoint out of the success of UW players. People tend to forget where somebody was drafted and how many years they spent in school. They notice far more, IMO, that a player went to X school and is now a star in the NBA.

CDC84
04-07-2017, 12:44 PM
Being a one and done could help marginally in the long term. Being a lottery pick helps slightly more. Being a high level NBA player would likely help the most.

This. Especially what's in bold. That's the most important thing. Having a career, and being a very, very good to great player. What good is a one and done if he's out of the league in 3 years? Being a lottery guy gives the individual player a chance to get more money more quickly (esp. when factoring in endorsements), but I don't know how much it helps the school if he's out in 3-5 years.

Coach Crazy
04-07-2017, 12:45 PM
Unless both NWG AND Z-Bo stay, you'd need someone filling in for NWG in order for Collins staying to mean another FF-type squad. Him going 1-and-Done in the lottery, following a Final Four run, means some recruiting clout. We already have our 2018 priority targets. If this seals the deal for all 3, then by all means, it's a huge bonus. 2018 was probably more likely to be a return year for the Zags. Now all of the sudden you'd be adding Brandon Williams, David Singleton, and Taeshon Cherry to whatever transfer(s) we get, and Tillie, Perkins, Norvell, Wade, Larsen, Kispert, and Rui. That is a pretty loaded squad. And probably more talent than this year's roster.

Coach Crazy
04-07-2017, 12:47 PM
Ultimately, this is one roster I would like for 2018:

Perkins
Norvell
Rui
Tillie
Jeter
-
Corey Kispert
Brandon Williams
David Singleton
Jacob Larsen
Taeshon Cherry

IMADEYOUREADTHIS
04-07-2017, 01:07 PM
Short term, it hurts. He's a great player that could be absolutely dominant next year.

Long term, it helps - GU, I would suspect, wants all types of high level players - the four year guys, the Sabonis 2 year guys, and the one and done guys. This helps kids know they can come to GU, play in a HUGE stage, and then have their draft stock improve enough to leave after a year.

MontanaCoyote
04-07-2017, 03:11 PM
Unless both NWG AND Z-Bo stay, you'd need someone filling in for NWG in order for Collins staying to mean another FF-type squad. Him going 1-and-Done in the lottery, following a Final Four run, means some recruiting clout. We already have our 2018 priority targets. If this seals the deal for all 3, then by all means, it's a huge bonus. 2018 was probably more likely to be a return year for the Zags. Now all of the sudden you'd be adding Brandon Williams, David Singleton, and Taeshon Cherry to whatever transfer(s) we get, and Tillie, Perkins, Norvell, Wade, Larsen, Kispert, and Rui. That is a pretty loaded squad. And probably more talent than this year's roster.

Must have missed. Who is Wade?

Markburn1
04-07-2017, 03:57 PM
Must have missed. Who is Wade?

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/mar/17/wade-returning-home-to-family-gonzaga-basketball/

MontanaCoyote
04-09-2017, 11:07 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/mar/17/wade-returning-home-to-family-gonzaga-basketball/

Thanks! Looks like a good player and story!

MDABE80
04-09-2017, 11:38 AM
I think I'd prefer another FF or deep run, Top 5 team with Collins playing here. Bigger boost for the program. NBA is always there for him.