PDA

View Full Version : Brown

MBAGael
04-07-2017, 06:32 AM
Jon Rothstein‏
@JonRothstein

New Mexico grad transfer Elijah Brown tells me he's cut his list to Iowa State, Northwestern, Oregon, Saint Mary's, and Gonzaga.

zagsfanforlife
04-07-2017, 06:37 AM
Jon Rothstein‏
@JonRothstein

New Mexico grad transfer Elijah Brown tells me he's cut his list to Iowa State, Northwestern, Oregon, Saint Mary's, and Gonzaga.

While i would rather them go after a PG for when NWG departs, Brown is a top notch scorer. The staff must have lots of faith in Perkins as a ball handler.

cggonzaga
04-07-2017, 06:45 AM
While i would rather them go after a PG for when NWG departs, Brown is a top notch scorer. The staff must have lots of faith in Perkins as a ball handler.

Really think we need to stop doubting Perkins. He's our pg period and nobody is coming in and taking his spot. Wade will be the backup. Teams would kill to be that set at the pg position. We're not bringing in a point so get over it.

As for Brown, the kid is a prolific scorer. I just don't see the fit however unless Melson is fine with coming off the bench again for his senior season. I think Norvell is too good to not start and get many minutes. I think Norvell will be our leading scorer next year alongside J3.

thespywhozaggedme
04-07-2017, 06:50 AM
I understand that he is sort of doing what Jordan did but unlike Jordans time there is no need whatsoever for shooting guard with Silas and Zack in the fold. This just isn't a pressing need for us right now. We need center help and point guard help.

willandi
04-07-2017, 06:50 AM
Really think we need to stop doubting Perkins. He's our pg period and nobody is coming in and taking his spot. Wade will be the backup. Teams would kill to be that set at the pg position. We're not bringing in a point so get over it.

As for Brown, the kid is a prolific scorer. I just don't see the fit however unless Melson is fine with coming off the bench again for his senior season. I think Norvell is too good to not start and get many minutes. I think Norvell will be our leading scorer next year alongside J3.

I agree, excepting I think Collins will be our leading scorer. I choose to believe that he will be back until he says he won't. Same with NWG.

former1dog
04-07-2017, 06:56 AM
Mr. Brown's stats suggest he is a volume shooter. Not sure that's a great fit, beyond the fact that Gonzaga has lots of players at his position already.

Coach Crazy
04-07-2017, 07:42 AM

Agreed. I have already talked about what Josh has been through. And either way, he'll have a situation he knows. He needs the opportunity to step up and exist within some continuity. Silas's efficiency is too high to take minutes away from, and Zack is absolutely going to light it up. Plus, you've got Kispert coming in and the hope that Rui is ready for some real bench minutes. Just doesn't seem to be a place for the kid.

Having said that, I will trust the staff to make that decision...regardless of what I see.

TexasZagFan
04-07-2017, 07:54 AM
Agreed. I have already talked about what Josh has been through. And either way, he'll have a situation he knows. He needs the opportunity to step up and exist within some continuity. Silas's efficiency is too high to take minutes away from, and Zack is absolutely going to light it up. Plus, you've got Kispert coming in and the hope that Rui is ready for some real bench minutes. Just doesn't seem to be a place for the kid.

Having said that, I will trust the staff to make that decision...regardless of what I see.

From my limited perspective, Josh is on the same trajectory as Tim Hardaway when Tim was at UTEP. There's no doubt that Don Haskins was more vocal than Coach Few, but they both love (loved) their players. Hardaway wasn't trusted by the staff through his first two years, but by the time he was a senior, he had the ball roughly 80% of the time.

There's a reason why JP is our PG, it's because that's who Few wants.

JP will be a junior next year, and he'll be running the offense. We all know he deferred to NWG last year, for obvious reasons. If he stays for two more years, opponents better watch out.

thespywhozaggedme
04-07-2017, 08:05 AM
From my limited perspective, Josh is on the same trajectory as Tim Hardaway when Tim was at UTEP. There's no doubt that Don Haskins was more vocal than Coach Few, but they both love (loved) their players. Hardaway wasn't trusted by the staff through his first two years, but by the time he was a senior, he had the ball roughly 80% of the time.

There's a reason why JP is our PG, it's because that's who Few wants.

JP will be a junior next year, and he'll be running the offense. We all know he deferred to NWG last year, for obvious reasons. If he stays for two more years, opponents better watch out.

Hardaway was a superstar and a HOFer.

Markburn1
04-07-2017, 08:43 AM
Hardaway was a superstar and a HOFer.

His point is that Hardaway was neither a superstar nor a Hall of Famer his first two years. Doesn't mean Perkins will be, just that Hardaway wasn't all that and got significantly better. The hope is Perk will progress in a similar manner. I've seen some really good things from Josh. The first half of the National Title game was pretty darn good.

thespywhozaggedme
04-07-2017, 09:11 AM
His point is that Hardaway was neither a superstar nor a Hall of Famer his first two years. Doesn't mean Perkins will be, just that Hardaway wasn't all that and got significantly better. The hope is Perk will progress in a similar manner. I've seen some really good things from Josh. The first half of the National Title game was pretty darn good.

And then he went scoreless and had 3 turnovers in the second half. I guess that's what we get with him, you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have, the Facts of Josh. :p

Chicken Ball
04-07-2017, 09:17 AM
And then he went scoreless and had 3 turnovers in the second half. I guess that's what we get with him, you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have, the Facts of Josh. :p

Well, maybe. But also maybe underclassmen turn into upperclassmen. The things that are wrong with Perkins' game are fixable, a matter of putting in the practice reps and increasing maturation. And the things that are right with his game are considerable.

MickMick
04-07-2017, 09:28 AM

This is true. Take the good with the bad and GU will definitely get both. Make the lazy, telegraphed passes go away, and the improvement would be satisfactory.

Probably not good enough to get to a title game, but good enough to have a relatively successful season.

ZagnetitForce
04-07-2017, 09:31 AM

I see what you did there!

Markburn1
04-07-2017, 09:33 AM

Except he only had two turnovers the entire game. I get it. You want perfection. Josh is very good and getting better. I'm looking forward to his next two years.

hooter73
04-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Brown is a high volume shooter, needing a lot of shots to get his points. Shoots less than 40% on everything except free throws. Also turns it over some. Matthews was a volume shooter and he fit well enough but I dont see Brown's game as being able to fit here in any way whatsoever.

zagsfanforlife
04-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Except he only had two turnovers the entire game. I get it. You want perfection. Josh is very good and getting better. I'm looking forward to his next two years.

The issue for me with Josh is the timing of those turnovers--- pretty sure i counted at least 3 times, including in the national title game where he started a game, or a half with a lazy pass that got picked off by the other team, and gave them a huge momentum boost when they got a quick and easy bucket right away. This is precisely my issue with Josh-- its all mental. He has the skills, but needs to get the mental portion of his game on track if he is ever going to be a consistent player for us. Turnovers at the times when Josh made them were HUGE, no matter what his final stats said. In fact, the stats reinforce it was all a mental mistake as he had very limited turnovers throughout the tourney.. just would get lazy and careless at the wrong times.

Markburn1
04-07-2017, 09:53 AM
The issue for me with Josh is the timing of those turnovers--- pretty sure i counted at least 3 times, including in the national title game where he started a game, or a half with a lazy pass that got picked off by the other team, and gave them a huge momentum boost when they got a quick and easy bucket right away. This is precisely my issue with Josh-- its all mental. He has the skills, but needs to get the mental portion of his game on track if he is ever going to be a consistent player for us. Turnovers at the times when Josh made them were HUGE, no matter what his final stats said. In fact, the stats reinforce it was all a mental mistake as he had very limited turnovers throughout the tourney.. just would get lazy and careless at the wrong times.

I'll agree with that. I'm confident he will clean those up. Will he make a huge jump? Maybe, maybe not. I do believe there is a distinct possibility. Will be excited to see his progress. Proud kid we are talking about.

SageOfZagville
04-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Josh has a tendency to make lazy passes with 1 hand. By that I mean he passes off the dribble. My college coach would tell us constantly, you can't pull back a one handed pass. When feeding the post, you must change the hand level of your defender, and you do that by faking high, low and around your defender and then feeding the post where your defenders hands aren't. You can't do that 1 handed. I'll admit, there are times when a one handed pass is warranted, but most times not. Sometimes I think he tries to make a spectacular pass, when a crisp two handed pass would suffice. Another issue I have with Josh is he worked his butt off practicing the three point shot last off-season and the results have been noticeable. What he really needs to work on is his finishing around the rim. He missis layup after layup and doesn't do well around the basket. He is big and strong enough that if he worked on that aspect, he would be lethal.

CDC84
04-07-2017, 10:18 AM
Brown is a high volume shooter, needing a lot of shots to get his points. Shoots less than 40% on everything except free throws. Also turns it over some. Matthews was a volume shooter and he fit well enough but I dont see Brown's game as being able to fit here in any way whatsoever.

I would pass myself, but my Dad works for UNM and sees every Lobo game......he was a high volume shooter because he had no players around him. He's not a selfish player. Noodles told him to shoot whenever possible. The problem with these guys is that you have to guess as to whether their shooting percentages would elevate if they took less shots due to having more talent around them. Or if they would be happy taking less shots. You can't really compare Brown to a guy like Jordan Mathews, for instance, because Jordan played with better players and had a specific role on Cal's team.

MickMick
04-07-2017, 10:21 AM

Baseball fans understand what "timely hitting" is. Sports fans in general understand the concept of momentum and what "kills" momentum. To exclusively look at the total statistics of any given game takes neither into account.

MDABE80
04-07-2017, 10:21 AM

Guarantee you, this team will not see another future FF with Perks running this team. Everyone on this board points to his data . It's not his data! It's how he manages a game. He's got skills but he's a PG in name only!!!
Sure he may grow into better data and I hope he does. But his management is average or a bit better. Sorry to finally say this. I've come to like Josh. But he's a hybrid sg/part time pg. we need PG. just a longstanding opinion.

MDABE80
04-07-2017, 10:24 AM
This is true. Take the good with the bad and GU will definitely get both. Make the lazy, telegraphed passes go away, and the improvement would be satisfactory.

Probably not good enough to get to a title game, but good enough to have a relatively successful season.

This!

CDC84
04-07-2017, 10:27 AM
The kid deserves some credit for choosing universities that have first rate basketball coaches. Also, several of the schools have a history of doing good things with transfers.

Zagdawg
04-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Point guard that we are in the mix for:

Inside The Kennel‏ @InsideTheKennel 4m4 minutes ago
Inside The Kennel Retweeted Josh Gershon
Expect Gonzaga to be in during April as well

Josh Gershon‏Verified account
@JoshGershon
2018 Encino (CA) Crespi PG Brandon Williams hosted #USC's Andy Enfield and staff last night. #UA's Sean Miller and staff will be in tomorrow

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/203668/brandon-williams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aUAKIYdWWg

maynard g krebs
04-07-2017, 10:35 AM

It's a relief to know that you can still count on Spy to provide alternative facts whenever needed!

It's also interesting to note how many of the actual basketball people on here are positive about Josh (an opinion I believe Few shares).

Then there's the myth that NWG carried GU to a final 4. Of course he was a key to getting the reg season record that got a 1 seed and easy path, but he really wasn't good for most of the NCAA tourney. Shot 35% for the tourney on a high volume of shots w/ less than a 2/1 a/to ratio. His 5 turnovers in the near loss to WVa, and 2/10 shooting somehow are forgiven. Double standard.

The best front line in GU history (maybe one of the best of this generation) is really what got the Zags to the final 4. NWG benefitted greatly from that; his personal stats weren't that different from those at UW, except for predictably better 3 pt shooting due to presence of said bigs.

On topic, really hope SMC gets this kid from UNM. The better the Gaels are, the better for everyone.

thespywhozaggedme
04-07-2017, 10:50 AM

No such thing exists. You want a unicorn.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
04-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Then there's the myth that NWG carried GU to a final 4. Of course he was a key to getting the reg season record that got a 1 seed and easy path, but he really wasn't good for most of the NCAA tourney. Shot 35% for the tourney on a high volume of shots w/ less than a 2/1 a/to ratio. His 5 turnovers in the near loss, and 2/10 shooting v WVa somehow are forgiven.

This is why I think NWG should come back for his senior season. I can't imagine NBA scouts were too impressed with his March run outside of leadership skills. If he comes back and leads us to a title, I think he's a late first round draft pick even as a senior prospect, a la Shabazz Napier.

We had a similar debate about Karnowski last year. Should he just go pro in Europe and start making money, or return for a 5th season to be in the NCAA spotlight? I feel like Karnowski gained more publicity this year than in his other seasons combined that will aid him in making money the rest of his life. I can easily envision the same being the case for Nigel. The way the UNC game ended sets a perfect script for him to be one of the most talked about players in basketball for an entire year. Compare that to the option of playing in Europe or the D-League next year...

MickMick
04-07-2017, 11:22 AM
It's a relief to know that you can still count on Spy to provide alternative facts whenever needed!

It's also interesting to note how many of the actual basketball people on here are positive about Josh (an opinion I believe Few shares).

Then there's the myth that NWG carried GU to a final 4. Of course he was a key to getting the reg season record that got a 1 seed and easy path, but he really wasn't good for most of the NCAA tourney. Shot 35% for the tourney on a high volume of shots w/ less than a 2/1 a/to ratio. His 5 turnovers in the near loss to WVa, and 2/10 shooting somehow are forgiven. Double standard.

The best front line in GU history (maybe one of the best of this generation) is really what got the Zags to the final 4. NWG benefitted greatly from that; his personal stats weren't that different from those at UW, except for predictably better 3 pt shooting due to presence of said bigs.

On topic, really hope SMC gets this kid from UNM. The better the Gaels are, the better for everyone.

The 6' 8" ACC player of the year was defending Goss.

It has come to this. You feel compelled to marginalize Goss in order to defend Perkins. Sad...really.

maynard g krebs
04-07-2017, 11:36 AM
The 6' 8" ACC player of the year was defending Goss.

It has come to this. You feel compelled to marginalize Goss in order to defend Perkins. Sad...really.

I didn't realize that the 6'8 ACC player of the year played for West Virginia. (Reread please; I didn't talk about the Carolina game at all.) I don't think he played for South Dakota or Northwestern either. My bad.
I merely pointed out some realities of the tourney as a counterpoint. I fail to see how that qualifies as "compelled to marginalize" anyone.

Of course, a certain poster said early in the year, season before last, that that team's guards weren't good enough to make the tourney and the streak would end. At the time, I certainly thought that opinion was "sad" and said so.

doctorzag
04-07-2017, 11:47 AM
I understand that he is sort of doing what Jordan did but unlike Jordans time there is no need whatsoever for shooting guard with Silas and Zack in the fold. This just isn't a pressing need for us right now. We need center help and point guard help.

You do know that Brown can play point guard? He led New Mexico in assists last year. He is a better scorer, rebounder and passer than Melson. He shot 40% from 3 the previous year so we know he can shoot. How many players in college have averaged scoring 20 points per game the last two year. This guy would be a big time get for us.

thespywhozaggedme
04-07-2017, 12:25 PM
You do know that Brown can play point guard? He led New Mexico in assists last year. He is a better scorer, rebounder and passer than Melson. He shot 40% from 3 the previous year so we know he can shoot. How many players in college have averaged scoring 20 points per game the last two year. This guy would be a big time get for us.

No, actually I didn't, I thought he was an sg. If he can run the point, then yes, that would be a game changer. Silas and ZN have the sg covered, but if Brown can is a pg, then by all means, go after him hard.

Coach Crazy
04-07-2017, 12:34 PM

As it stands, Silas would seem to be more valuable from an efficiency perspective...for this team. While not nearly the scoring threat, more balanced as a player. If a player like Elijah Brown were able to come in and do well with a different style of play that would include less usage rate, then there might be a place? But then you are limiting Norvell and Kispert minutes. Perhaps more than you might have, already?

thespywhozaggedme
04-07-2017, 01:07 PM
As it stands, Silas would seem to be more valuable from an efficiency perspective...for this team. While not nearly the scoring threat, more balanced as a player. If a player like Elijah Brown were able to come in and do well with a different style of play that would include less usage rate, then there might be a place? But then you are limiting Norvell and Kispert minutes. Perhaps more than you might have, already?

Norvell is an sg and Kispert is an sf, if Brown can play the point guard then that has no effect on those two.

Markburn1
04-07-2017, 01:19 PM
Norvell is an sg and Kispert is an sf, if Brown can play the point guard then that has no effect on those two.

Adding a player that takes minutes away from whomever is playing the point will ultimately affect minutes at other positions on the floor. Perkins and Melson will play no matter who else is brought in. Those minutes will eat into both Norvell and Kisperts minutes regardless of what label, i.e. SG, SF, anyone puts on players.

Goshzagit
04-07-2017, 01:24 PM
no.

Worthington
04-07-2017, 01:44 PM
I didn't realize that the 6'8 ACC player of the year played for West Virginia. (Reread please; I didn't talk about the Carolina game at all.) I don't think he played for South Dakota or Northwestern either. My bad.
I merely pointed out some realities of the tourney as a counterpoint. I fail to see how that qualifies as "compelled to marginalize" anyone.

Of course, a certain poster said early in the year, season before last, that that team's guards weren't good enough to make the tourney and the streak would end. At the time, I certainly thought that opinion was "sad" and said so.

Actually the BIG 12 defensive player of the year was guarding him that game. Nigel didn't play as well as we all know he could have, but let's not pretend he didn't put on his back all season long. He CLEARLY elevated his game from his UW days and to say any different is ridiculous.

And it seems like a bit of revisionist history to act like it was no sweat making the NCAA tournament in 2014-15. The team turned it on at the end (with the help of two current NBA players), but we were a lost WCC final away from having the streak end. I think it's pretty reasonable to have concerns/questions about our back-court as it stands for next season.

IMADEYOUREADTHIS
04-07-2017, 01:45 PM
This thread got out of hand quickly. Was this the thread about Brown, a potential transfer, or a thread about the skillset of Perkins and the draft potential of NWG? I'm confused....

sittingon50
04-07-2017, 02:59 PM
This thread got out of hand quickly. Was this the thread about Brown, a potential transfer, or a thread about the skillset of Perkins and the draft potential of NWG? I'm confused....

Wait 'til you hear about the tacos...

Ezag
04-07-2017, 03:00 PM

People always looking for Perks replacement.

zagsfanforlife
04-07-2017, 03:07 PM

Agree with you that GU probably doesnt go too hard after him, but would love to see him go to SMC. Would replace Rahon well.. if they got brown their starting lineup would be impressive:

Naar
Brown
Hermanson
Fitzner
Landale

IMADEYOUREADTHIS
04-07-2017, 03:10 PM
Wait 'til you hear about the tacos...

I know all about the tacos, heck in a different life I was part of the taco brigade.

BobZag
04-07-2017, 03:38 PM
I want them brothers from Memphis...and a taco.

23dpg
04-07-2017, 04:09 PM
I want them brothers from Memphis...and a taco.

You want the dad too?

cggonzaga
04-07-2017, 04:29 PM
Guarantee you, this team will not see another future FF with Perks running this team. Everyone on this board points to his data . It's not his data! It's how he manages a game. He's got skills but he's a PG in name only!!!
Sure he may grow into better data and I hope he does. But his management is average or a bit better. Sorry to finally say this. I've come to like Josh. But he's a hybrid sg/part time pg. we need PG. just a longstanding opinion.

Statements like these I should just pass on but I can't because they're so ridiculous. Is this like your guarantee about Davis coming to GU? Willing to put $100 on this one too? SMDH.

Spy, I could be wrong but am pretty sure Norvell will start at the 3. The kid could play 1-3 imo although I wouldn't consider him a natural 1. You do realize he's around 6'6" now correct? And we can almost be sure Melson is starting at the 2 if Goss leaves.

Coach Crazy
04-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Statements like these I should just pass on but I can't because they're so ridiculous. Is this like your guarantee about Davis coming to GU? Willing to put $100 on this one too? SMDH.

Spy, I could be wrong but am pretty sure Norvell will start at the 3. The kid could play 1-3 imo although I wouldn't consider him a natural 1. You do realize he's around 6'6" now correct? And we can almost be sure Melson is starting at the 2 if Goss leaves.

The only reason I see Norvell being a primary 2 is because of his proficiency from deep. But outside of that, Silas and Zack will be very interchangeable with Few's offense. And while Zack isn't a primary 1, he's shown how great his handles can be, and can definitely play a combo guard/point forward role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zagsfanforlife
04-07-2017, 05:28 PM

Can anyone confirm this 6'6 claim? I saw him up pretty close at the final four and he looked more 6'3, 6'4 (if that) then 6'6....

willandi
04-07-2017, 05:43 PM

What are you risking? If he is the PG next year and they make the FF, what are you giving up? Just saying you guarantee it means nothing. It is still JUST YOUR OPINION. The fancy words don't change anything.

willandi
04-07-2017, 05:48 PM
Who has announced they are leaving? Shouldn't we, the Zags board and fans, wait for THEM to decide?

cggonzaga
04-07-2017, 06:19 PM
Point guard that we are in the mix for:

Inside The Kennel‏ @InsideTheKennel 4m4 minutes ago
Inside The Kennel Retweeted Josh Gershon
Expect Gonzaga to be in during April as well

Josh Gershon‏Verified account
@JoshGershon
2018 Encino (CA) Crespi PG Brandon Williams hosted #USC's Andy Enfield and staff last night. #UA's Sean Miller and staff will be in tomorrow

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/203668/brandon-williams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aUAKIYdWWg

Still my number 1 hope in 2018 recruiting class. Singleton and Cherry as well.

zagsfanforlife
04-07-2017, 06:34 PM
247 predicts williams, singleton and cherry to az

gonzagafan62
04-07-2017, 07:12 PM
247 predicts williams, singleton and cherry to az

Without a final four?

(Wow, that's what it feels like to say that lol)

thespywhozaggedme
04-07-2017, 08:14 PM

Like I said, I see Zach and Silas at the shooting guards and Corey and Rui the small forwards but it is an embarrassment of riches and a good problem to have.

maynard g krebs
04-07-2017, 10:09 PM
Actually the BIG 12 defensive player of the year was guarding him that game. Nigel didn't play as well as we all know he could have, but let's not pretend he didn't put on his back all season long. He CLEARLY elevated his game from his UW days and to say any different is ridiculous.

And it seems like a bit of revisionist history to act like it was no sweat making the NCAA tournament in 2014-15.

Nothing revisionist about what I said. Another poster said in December '15 that that would be the year the Zags wouldn't make the tourney, because the guards weren't good enough. Stated it in fairly absolute terms. I responded that Perk and McClellan both had hardly played in two years and preached patience and to give them time, and they would be a lot better at the end of the season.

I didn't "act like it was no sweat". I just predicted they'd be much better later in the year, and would likely make the tourney. And they were, and did, and blew out two high seeds with no backup post player to speak of and a 6 man rotation.

And no, NWG didn't "Put (the team) on his back all season long." The team would have been very, very good without him. Better with him, of course. But in the game he missed, the Zags beat 4th place Santa Clara 90-55, and Perkins had 15 pts on 4-8 shooting, 8 assists w/ 2 turnovers. Team shot 60% in that game, with 20 team assists and 10 to's.

And he didn't put them on his back when he shot 7/27 v WVa and UNC combined.

I expect a lot more games like Perk had v Santa Clara next year when he doesn't have to defer. If Collins goes, along with the Kareem award winner, that will be a greater cause of any dropoff that occurs than NWG departing, imo. The greatest dropoff will be at the center position is my guess. With the newcomers, the guard/wing play will be better overall. Time will tell.

ZagaZags
04-07-2017, 10:22 PM

Damn, West Virginia is in the ACC now? Somebody send the Big-12 a letter.

Bogozags
04-08-2017, 05:50 AM

DOC, I think your last guarantee fell out the window (Davis) and you still owe me $77 on that bet lol...it was gonna be $100 but the wife would not loan me the $23...

Have we all forgotten about Wade? Isn't he our next PG in the making? I think Coach Few has him in mind to work with Josh and be on the court at the same time ala NWG...we have six back court players in the house now and for some reason, I don't see the Staff going after Brown just because the need to add him just isn't that great AND who/which player will Coach Few ask to leave?

zagsfanforlife
04-08-2017, 06:26 AM
Scholarship open from NWG departure

Worthington
04-08-2017, 09:38 AM
Nothing revisionist about what I said. Another poster said in December '15 that that would be the year the Zags wouldn't make the tourney, because the guards weren't good enough. Stated it in fairly absolute terms. I responded that Perk and McClellan both had hardly played in two years and preached patience and to give them time, and they would be a lot better at the end of the season.

I didn't "act like it was no sweat". I just predicted they'd be much better later in the year, and would likely make the tourney. And they were, and did, and blew out two high seeds with no backup post player to speak of and a 6 man rotation.

And no, NWG didn't "Put (the team) on his back all season long." The team would have been very, very good without him. Better with him, of course. But in the game he missed, the Zags beat 4th place Santa Clara 90-55, and Perkins had 15 pts on 4-8 shooting, 8 assists w/ 2 turnovers. Team shot 60% in that game, with 20 team assists and 10 to's.

I expect a lot more games like Perk had v Santa Clara next year when he doesn't have to defer. If Collins goes, along with the Kareem award winner, that will be a greater cause of any dropoff that occurs than NWG departing, imo. The greatest dropoff will be at the center position is my guess. With the newcomers, the guard/wing play will be better overall. Time will tell.

You make some fair points, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. The 2015-16 team was probably the most post oriented team we have ever had. That team doesn't go far without two incredibly offensively skilled future NBAers. Next year's team without Collins does not have any where near that kind of output in the front-court, and the guards will have to be more than just complimentary pieces.

Again, I think you are vastly underselling what NWG brought to this team. I mean, he wasn't a Wooden award finalist for no reason. He was undeniably the team's leader, probably had the ball in his hands twice as much as anyone else on the team. He guarded opposing team's best players all year long, played nearly 38 minutes per game in the tournament, led us in points, assists, steals, was second in rebounds while shooting nearly 49% from the field. Sure he didn't have a great tournament, but he still gave us 16.7 PPG 7.3 RPG and 4.3 APG through 6 games that were mostly of the grind it out slug fest variety. Where would we have been without that production? His performance at BYU in a very hostile environment was one of the most dominant I have ever seen from a Zag, we are toast in that game without him. The balance on this team was special, but he was the go to guy. In short he was the difference between a good team and a great team, and one home game against Santa Clara isn't going to convince me of any different.

maynard g krebs
04-08-2017, 10:12 AM
You make some fair points, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. The 2015-16 team was probably the most post oriented team we have ever had. That team doesn't go far without two incredibly offensively skilled future NBAers. Next year's team without Collins does not have any where near that kind of output in the front-court, and the guards will have to be more than just complimentary pieces.

Again, I think you are vastly underselling what NWG brought to this team. I mean, he wasn't a Wooden award finalist for no reason. He was undeniably the team's leader, probably had the ball in his hands twice as much as anyone else on the team. He guarded opposing team's best players all year long, played nearly 38 minutes per game in the tournament, led us in points, assists, steals, was second in rebounds while shooting nearly 49% from the field. Sure he didn't have a great tournament, but he still gave us 16.7 PPG 7.3 RPG and 4.3 APG through 6 games that were mostly of the grind it out slug fest variety. Where would we have been without that production? His performance at BYU in a very hostile environment was one of the most dominant I have ever seen from a Zag, we are toast in that game without him. The balance on this team was special, but he was the go to guy. In short he was the difference between a good team and a great team, and one home game against Santa Clara isn't going to convince me of any different.

I don't disagree with most of what you wrote. But remember the context for what I'm saying. I'm responding to all the people saying we need another point guard next year, and the idea that seems to be that NWG is the total reason for the team's success and the Zags are lost w/o someone similar.

My intent isn't to put down NWG, though I can see how it comes across that way. (And yes, there were times when he carried the team. There were also times when Shem, Collins, JW3 carried the team as well.) My point is that the team will be very, very good with Perkins starting and Wade backing him up. And that it will be unfair to judge by NCAA tourney results if Collins leaves, because NWG benefitted from having arguably the best two centers in college basketball on the same roster, along with two top tier pf's.

My brother is a Duck fan and a pretty impartial observer on the Zags. His take is that NWG dominates the ball (almost 16 shots per game in the tourney; 5 and a half makes) and that works great in the WCC but not so well against better competition. Just passing that along.

I used the Santa Clara example to point out that Perkins had to adjust to a ball dominant running mate and a shift in position. The team didn't miss a beat in that game is the point. I realize it's not the same as going down to the wire v a good oppoonent.

I actually think Perkins might be a better fit to run a team with Kispert and Norvell on the wings. Both are elite shooters and superb passers who move the ball quickly and instinctively, and imo will benefit from a less ball dominant pg.

Zagdawg
04-08-2017, 10:58 AM
Two words---Championship Game

Lets see where Perkins can take us ---worse case scenario Wade gets some time under his belt and steps up also and we run a two point lineup again.

seacatfan
04-08-2017, 12:07 PM
Without a final four?

(Wow, that's what it feels like to say that lol)

I don't think Final 4 appearances are as big of a deal to many recruits as most people seem to think. Kentucky and Duke didn't make it this year, or last year, but they are #1 and #2 in recruiting almost every year.

tyra
04-08-2017, 12:45 PM
Spoiler Alert: outlier dissenting viewpoint coming. I LOVE Silas coming off the bench. I think it is possible to have a player whose contribution to team success is greater coming off the bench and I think Silas is that guy.

Coach Crazy
04-08-2017, 01:04 PM
I don't think Final 4 appearances are as big of a deal to many recruits as most people seem to think. Kentucky and Duke didn't make it this year, or last year, but they are #1 and #2 in recruiting almost every year.

Meh. But you are also talking about programs that have built up their brand to the point where they don't have to depend upon making a Final Four, for the first time or so, to be able to convince kids to play there.

Markburn1
04-08-2017, 01:11 PM

Kentucky and Duke are regular participants in the Final Four. That is definitely one of the reasons for their success in recruiting.

Gonzaga's appearance in this year's Final Four is another data point for recruits to consider. If it's seen as an indicator that the Zags are going to play with the big boys, it most certainly is an asset to have in your pocket. Imagine Few showing up in a recruit's living room and telling the kid a championship is our next goal. He will have a lot more credibility with a FF appearance under his belt.

gonzagafan62
04-08-2017, 01:42 PM
Kentucky and Duke are regular participants in the Final Four. That is definitely one of the reasons for their success in recruiting.

Gonzaga's appearance in this year's Final Four is another data point for recruits to consider. If it's seen as an indicator that the Zags are going to play with the big boys, it most certainly is an asset to have in your pocket. Imagine Few showing up in a recruit's living room and telling the kid a championship is our next goal. He will have a lot more credibility with a FF appearance under his belt.

Yeah I actually think a lot of kids thought that they may not be able to win a title here because of this or that reason. But now that we've shown we CAN and had a lead with 1:50 to play in that game.... we might be able to snag a kid or two that we may not have been able to otherwise

seacatfan
04-08-2017, 01:51 PM
Recruiting is complex and dynamic w/ a bunch of different factors going into it. GU is a recognizable brand that has been going to the Tourney for almost 20 consecutive seasons. After making a big splash during the beginning of their run and then hitting somewhat of a lull, the last 3 years have seen an unprecedented level of success for the Zags. They've been raising their profile and bringing in different kinds of players than they did 10 or 15 years ago. They may continue that upward trend and start challenging for multiple McD's AA level kids on an annual basis, or it may be they only get the occasional player of that caliber like Collins. Point being they've been trending upward anyway, it remains to be seen how much of an effect the Final 4 has for them.

One off Final 4's historically have done very little for most programs. It's been mentioned elsewhere but George Mason, VCU and Butler didn't see a significant upgrade in talent levels after their deep runs in the Tourney. It was many years ago, but Mississippi St. made a Final 4 in '96 and didn't find themselves routinely outrecruiting Kentucky or any of the other big boys after that. Will be really interesting to see what happens to South Carolina following this year. They obviously had some talented players on their team, a few that were probably fairly big recruits (seems like Dozier was a pretty big get for them and somewhat of a surprise, but he is a legacy kid). I have a feeling Thornwell was an under the radar guy that happened to develop really nicely during his 4 year career. Will Martin parlay this into regularly getting better recruits?

Just looking back thru a list of previous Final 4 participants. Utah made it in '98 (pre Pac 12), didn't translate to much in the way of upping their recruiting profile. West Virginia made it in '10. They've continued to be fairly successful since then mostly getting under the radar recruits that are nowhere nearly as touted as some of their conference foes regularly haul in. I didn't mention Wichita St. w/ the other mid majors above, but while they've continued to win at a very high clip I don't think they've exactly been busting down doors to get access to top recruits. Wisconsin went back to back in '14 and '15 but is another program that has to go the route of getting under the radar guys and developing them for the most part.

I think that's more than enough examples. Like I said recruiting is complicated and complex. Just getting to the Final 4 doesn't guarantee anything. GU was already in great shape before this year, it certainly won't hurt, but I don't think it's going to put them in the Duke/Kentucky level of recruiting any time soon (or ever).

ZagsGoZags
04-08-2017, 05:53 PM
technical question,
have we offered him?
for him to 'consider' GU, does that mean we have offered?

willandi
04-08-2017, 06:43 PM
Scholarship open from NWG departure

Did he announce that or are you voicing an opinion?

I think we should wait for the players to declare before we decide they are gone. That is MY opinion.

Worthington
04-08-2017, 07:12 PM

Yeah I agree with a lot of what you're saying as well. Another Nigel isn't going to come along as a grad transfer, Perkins is likely the best option we will have and I believe he can do a good job. That being said, there will likely be a significant drop off in back court production. Just a natural result of losing a top 5 player in the country.

I think there is a chance we can be very good, but there is a legitimate cause for concern if we lose NWG and Collins. Most would agree that both of them would be our undisputed go to guy next year. Sabonis and Wiltjer were both amazing offensive weapons in 2015-16. Do we have a single player on the roster next year who is a explosive and consistent scorer without NWG or Collins? JW3 has showed flashes and Norvell has some hype, but I can't say with any certainty where the production will come from.

I tend to agree that Nigel was not as effective against better competition, but I still feel like we were better off with him playing aggressive and missing rather than deferring in big moments. Can't forget that he constantly attracted the other team's best defender throughout the tournament. Whether that was Jevon Carter, the BIG 12 defensive player of the year, or 6'8 Justin Jackson. Other team's knew that he was basically the only shot creator on the team and were able to hound him because of it.

That's a good point that Perkins may be more effective with Kispert and Norvell on the wings, but I do think that point speaks to something. We are going to be counting on new players to step up and be ball handlers and shot creators right off the bat. I love our incoming group and believe they can be that good, but with no incoming grad transfers in the back-court we will definitely be relying heavily on unknowns to step up next year.

cggonzaga
04-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Yeah I agree with a lot of what you're saying as well. Another Nigel isn't going to come along as a grad transfer, Perkins is likely the best option we will have and I believe he can do a good job. That being said, there will likely be a significant drop off in back court production. Just a natural result of losing a top 5 player in the country.

I think there is a chance we can be very good, but there is a legitimate cause for concern if we lose NWG and Collins. Most would agree that both of them would be our undisputed go to guy next year. Sabonis and Wiltjer were both amazing offensive weapons in 2015-16. Do we have a single player on the roster next year who is a explosive and consistent scorer without NWG or Collins? JW3 has showed flashes and Norvell has some hype, but I can't say with any certainty where the production will come from.

I tend to agree that Nigel was not as effective against better competition, but I still feel like we were better off with him playing aggressive and missing rather than deferring in big moments. Can't forget that he constantly attracted the other team's best defender throughout the tournament. Whether that was Jevon Carter, the BIG 12 defensive player of the year, or 6'8 Justin Jackson. Other team's knew that he was basically the only shot creator on the team and were able to hound him because of it.

That's a good point that Perkins may be more effective with Kispert and Norvell on the wings, but I do think that point speaks to something. We are going to be counting on new players to step up and be ball handlers and shot creators right off the bat. I love our incoming group and believe they can be that good, but with no incoming grad transfers in the back-court we will definitely be relying heavily on unknowns to step up next year.

Well written post worth. I don't necessarily agree with it. Every year we worry and wonder about the next. If so and so leaves we're doomed. Yet every year another kid or two steps up and we don't miss a beat. Happened last year coming into this year and we all know what happened. Josh will get better and will be one of our top guys next year. I'm not worried about him or that position in the least with him and Wade. We have at least 5 guards/wings next season (still thinking Rui plays the 4). All that being said I wouldn't be opposed to a grad transfer unless Jones got significantly better or Alberts finally developed some toughness.

zagsfanforlife
04-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Did he announce that or are you voicing an opinion?

I think we should wait for the players to declare before we decide they are gone. That is MY opinion.

I know things

thespywhozaggedme
04-08-2017, 08:34 PM
Well written post worth. I don't necessarily agree with it. Every year we worry and wonder about the next. If so and so leaves we're doomed. Yet every year another kid or two steps up and we don't miss a beat. Happened last year coming into this year and we all know what happened. Josh will get better and will be one of our top guys next year. I'm not worried about him or that position in the least with him and Wade. We have at least 5 guards/wings next season (still thinking Rui plays the 4). All that being said I wouldn't be opposed to a grad transfer unless Jones got significantly better or Alberts finally developed some toughness.

Except for the fact that that is not really true. Every single insider that posts on this board was telling us on a weekly basis that Nigel Williams Goss was one of if not the best players we've ever had at the point guard position and that he was killng it in a practice every day during his redshirt year and they were telling us that we will be so happy when he gets on the court. They were right.

willandi
04-08-2017, 08:35 PM
I know things

So it's an opinion. OK. Just say so. We are all entitled to opinions.

cggonzaga
04-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Except for the fact that that is not really true. Every single insider that posts on this board was telling us on a weekly basis that Nigel Williams Goss was one of if not the best players we've ever had at the point guard position and that he was killng it in a practice every day during his redshirt year and they were telling us that we will be so happy when he gets on the court. They were right.

So people weren't worried after Sabonis and Wiltjer, 2 NBAers left? You're right, my bad. We all thought we'd play in the national championship this year. And nobody thought we were in trouble after Morrison, Dickau, Batista, Stepp, Raivio, Pargo, Heytvelt, Bouldin, Pangos, Bell, Gray, Olynek, etc...left either. I've sure misunderstood what has been written on this board over the years.

You thought Goss was going to replace 2 NBA guys? Guess you had huge expectations for him.

sittingon50
04-08-2017, 09:06 PM
Well golly, it sure hasn't taken long.

zagsfanforlife
04-08-2017, 09:58 PM
So it's an opinion. OK. Just say so. We are all entitled to opinions.

If thats what you want to call it.

MDABE80
04-08-2017, 10:05 PM
DOC, I think your last guarantee fell out the window (Davis) and you still owe me $77 on that bet lol...it was gonna be $100 but the wife would not loan me the $23...

Have we all forgotten about Wade? Isn't he our next PG in the making? I think Coach Few has him in mind to work with Josh and be on the court at the same time ala NWG...we have six back court players in the house now and for some reason, I don't see the Staff going after Brown just because the need to add him just isn't that great AND who/which player will Coach Few ask to leave?

Wade is a great kid and player. I do owe u $77. But. I still think we'll need a pure point who can score but mostly manage this team before we see another final four.

MDABE80
04-08-2017, 10:07 PM

Going back I said 80%;)

Zagceo
04-08-2017, 10:32 PM
I know things

Just happy for you that you hedged your bet and won all that money

congrats

MDABE80
04-09-2017, 12:29 AM
lolllllllllllllll

zagsfanforlife
04-09-2017, 08:13 AM
Just happy for you that you hedged your bet and won all that money

congrats

I did. Thanks!

willandi
04-09-2017, 08:36 AM
If thats what you want to call it.

You give nothing but a statement, no supporting links,data, etc., and it is supposed to be fact. I suppose the ones leaving early are going to be on Few's NBA team?

Why are you opinions worth more than others? Do you have an in with the coaches, players, team, administration?

zagsfanforlife
04-09-2017, 09:13 AM
You give nothing but a statement, no supporting links,data, etc., and it is supposed to be fact. I suppose the ones leaving early are going to be on Few's NBA team?

Why are you opinions worth more than others? Do you have an in with the coaches, players, team, administration?

That's not my decision to decide for you what/who to believe. I don't believe there are any supporting links so if that's what it takes for you to distinguish between opinions and supported statements, then I guess it's all opinion and you shouldn't believe me. Carry on..

willandi
04-09-2017, 11:06 AM
That's not my decision to decide for you what/who to believe. I don't believe there are any supporting links so if that's what it takes for you to distinguish between opinions and supported statements, then I guess it's all opinion and you shouldn't believe me. Carry on..

Thanks I will! It is, basically, the same standard I try to apply to all reported things, news, Zags et al. If there isn't any link or supporting documentation, it is just an opinion, and I will treat it as such until something comes out to substantiate it.

Which NBA team is Few going to?

zagsfanforlife
04-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Thanks I will! It is, basically, the same standard I try to apply to all reported things, news, Zags et al. If there isn't any link or supporting documentation, it is just an opinion, and I will treat it as such until something comes out to substantiate it.

Funny.

Bogozags
04-09-2017, 06:05 PM
Going back I said 80%;)

Ok 80% of $77 = $61. 😜

If NWG does leave then the Staff will need to find a true point guard BUT Wade might well be that guy...

jagwalkley
04-10-2017, 04:21 PM

amen to that.

zagsfanforlife
04-10-2017, 06:23 PM

Do you find it odd his twitter handle only liked a post from a guy saying "Good luck at the next level"?

willandi
04-10-2017, 07:07 PM
Do you find it odd his twitter handle only liked a post from a guy saying "Good luck at the next level"?

Other than thinking he was a complete troll and laughing at the boards reaction, I gave it no further thought. It never crossed my mind that it might have any merit.

I have no connections to the team other than having my cousin's daughter date Will Foster while she played keeper for the Womens soccer team. I met Pendo, Bouldin and a few others at the matches. I have clientele that did work at Gonzaga, or still do, and a lot of fans/followers come in. That is my only connection.

Zagdawg
04-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Marc J. Spears‏Verified account
@MarcJSpearsESPN
Ex-New Mexico guard Elijah Brown,son of GS asst. Mike Brown, is visiting Oregon 4/13-15; Northwestern 4/18-20; Iowa St. 4/21-23; Gonzaga TBD

TexasZagFan
04-11-2017, 12:09 PM
Other than thinking he was a complete troll and laughing at the boards reaction, I gave it no further thought. It never crossed my mind that it might have any merit.

I have no connections to the team other than having my cousin's daughter date Will Foster while she played keeper for the Womens soccer team. I met Pendo, Bouldin and a few others at the matches. I have clientele that did work at Gonzaga, or still do, and a lot of fans/followers come in. That is my only connection.

Aw heck will, if that's not a "connection", I don't know what is! :lmao:

Zag_Dad
04-11-2017, 12:18 PM
Marc J. Spears‏Verified account
@MarcJSpearsESPN
Ex-New Mexico guard Elijah Brown,son of GS asst. Mike Brown, is visiting Oregon 4/13-15; Northwestern 4/18-20; Iowa St. 4/21-23; Gonzaga TBD

So Saint Mary's is out?

gonzagafan62
04-11-2017, 12:54 PM

My buddy Blah blah blah blah blah....

Oh yeah! Go zags

Zagger
04-11-2017, 01:17 PM
The Connection ...... ;)

http://www.sbaran.net/zags/ZagsAnswer.jpg

webspinnre
04-11-2017, 01:18 PM
The Connection ...... ;)

http://www.sbaran.net/zags/ZagsAnswer.jpg

This is amazing.

Coach Crazy
04-11-2017, 02:35 PM
Makes more sense for him at Northwestern or Oregon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zagger
04-12-2017, 02:15 AM
This is amazing.
Gotta have some fun :)
Go Zags!

And, I sure hope Few sticks around forever! The whole Zag coaching crew for that matter. That's unrealistic but my hope nevertheless.