Nike Hoops Summit tomorrow night in Portland, will Tommy be there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thespywhozaggedme
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

Nike Hoops Summit tomorrow night in Portland, will Tommy be there?

International roster is loaded, five Canadians on the team. We used to recruit Canada a lot but sort of have given way to Oregon in that regard. Here's a write up on one of the really good point guards, I think he's unsigned:

Canadian point guard Lindel Wigginton goes around the key in a Nike Hoop Summit shooting drill. Wigginton was the star of last night's scrimmage, attacking the rim relentlessly in both the open floor and half-court, taking contact around the basket, and even knocking down some off the dribble jump-shots. His athleticism and toughness has proven to be a key component of the Nike Hoop Summit World Select Team, and he will undoubtedly play an influential role in the outcome of the game on Friday. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...igginton-5860/ ©DraftExpress
  • Zagdawg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Signed with Iowa State

Comment

• OntZags
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Jan 2017

As a Canadian who's become a Zags fan because of historically high Canadian content, Wigginton is gonna be amazing. He's way undervalued in the main ranking sites but he's gonna be a star for Iowa St. They got a real good get there. (though it might only be one season, he's got that high of upside)

That said, I really really hope Gonzaga tries to make a play for RJ Barrett. (and his teammate and fellow national Nembhard) That kid is gonna be next level. It'd be great to see Gonzaga parlay this run into being able to actually battle the big boys for the creme de la creme talent.

Barrett's dad works with Dustin Triano's dad as a a part of Basketball Canada so there is an in there. Can't hurt to sniff around...

Kind of disappointed that Angus Glover opted not to come to St. Mary's and went pro instead. He could have been a huge part of pushing them into legit national relevancy next season with most of that team returning. Hopefully Bennett can find a grad transfer or two to replace him and get SMC into the mix as a very dangerous team in tourney next season.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
        Banned
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
        Dang it

Comment

• OntZags
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
          Dang it
          Never fear, RJ Barrett's recruitment is still open and he has even higher upside.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
            Banned
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by OntZags View Post
            Never fear, RJ Barrett's recruitment is still open and he has even higher upside.
            Yeah, I know all about Barret, he's the #1 ranked player in 2018 and the highest ranked Canadian player ever, even higher than Wiggins. I would say the chances are slim and none.

Comment

• DZ
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by OntZags View Post
              As a Canadian who's become a Zags fan because of historically high Canadian content, Wigginton is gonna be amazing. He's way undervalued in the main ranking sites but he's gonna be a star for Iowa St. They got a real good get there. (though it might only be one season, he's got that high of upside)

That said, I really really hope Gonzaga tries to make a play for RJ Barrett. (and his teammate and fellow national Nembhard) That kid is gonna be next level. It'd be great to see Gonzaga parlay this run into being able to actually battle the big boys for the creme de la creme talent.

Barrett's dad works with Dustin Triano's dad as a a part of Basketball Canada so there is an in there. Can't hurt to sniff around...

Kind of disappointed that Angus Glover opted not to come to St. Mary's and went pro instead. He could have been a huge part of pushing them into legit national relevancy next season with most of that team returning. Hopefully Bennett can find a grad transfer or two to replace him and get SMC into the mix as a very dangerous team in tourney next season.
              Having Triano involved probably means he'll answer the phone when coach calls.

SMC's loss of the big recruit will hurt. It seems as though Randy is doing a decent job getting into the transfer thing with a similar message as Few; "Want to win, go pro?" Delly et.al. (and the foreign league players can't hurt).
              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
              Mark Twain.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                Banned
                • Feb 2007

I know Tommy used to attend this game regularly, just wasn't sure if he's gonna be there tonight. This is the best "foreign" team in the event for some time. I put foreign in quotes because half of the roster are Canadians playing high school ball in the states. lol

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2007

Footage of R.J. Barrett, Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Shai Alexander, Tadas Sedekerskis, and Kostja Mushidi taking part in shooting drills at the Nike Hoop Summit practices in Portland, Oregon.

Comment

• Mojo13
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Nov 2012

Most of this years "World Team" is US based. It is becoming more of a trend as Nike is struggling to attract the best European talent to Portland for a few years now. Too tough to get these kids away from their pro teams, often when their playoffs are going on.
                    Yes all 5 guards are Canadian which is interesting. This a great crop of Canuck guards/wings coming through (although besides Simi shi-ttu, not many elite bigs). Many of these guys aren't huge names yet as they have really exploded in the last year. Lugentz Dort seemed to appear out of nowhere. There a couple others that are just as good as these guys that could be here as well (Simi Shi-ttu, Emmanuel Akot). Andrew Nembhard, Ignas Brazdeikis, Noah Kirkwood are all great but a step down from this level I think.

After a lull of Canadian talent for a few years there seems to be a huge wave coming through highschool right now. It would be a good time for the Gonzaga recruiters to be looking.

At first I scoffed at Barrett to Gonzaga, but then noodled on it more and it is not so far fetched. First he is 99% reclassifying to 2018 so lets get that out there. Second, Canada basketball has a long history of terrible nepotism so the Barrett Sr /Jay Triano connection could bare fruit. RJ is most certainly a one and done, so it is going to be tough to out recruit UK's golden touch there. Further UK seemed to be the right move for Jamal Murray and Team RJ would be very familiar with Murray's experience.
                    The Canadian bball community is tight and RJ is being handled carefully. Spokane might be a little remote from the Toronto market where 90% of these guys are from. Gonzaga has had more success with the odd West Coast Canadian talent.

But I've gone from "no way RJ would be a Zag", to "Hmmm...maybe there is a chance!".

Comment

• Coach Crazy
                      • Apr 2011

It looks as though Gonzaga has it's 3 priority recruits in David Singleton, Brandon Williams, and Taeshon Cherry. If one were to not sign, I think looking at something like this would be intriguing...but I just don't see any players that we would have a shot at that make me not want those three on the roster.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mojo13 View Post
                        Most of this years "World Team" is US based. It is becoming more of a trend as Nike is struggling to attract the best European talent to Portland for a few years now. Too tough to get these kids away from their pro teams, often when their playoffs are going on.
                        Yes all 5 guards are Canadian which is interesting. This a great crop of Canuck guards/wings coming through (although besides Simi shi-ttu, not many elite bigs). Many of these guys aren't huge names yet as they have really exploded in the last year. Lugentz Dort seemed to appear out of nowhere. There a couple others that are just as good as these guys that could be here as well (Simi Shi-ttu, Emmanuel Akot). Andrew Nembhard, Ignas Brazdeikis, Noah Kirkwood are all great but a step down from this level I think.

After a lull of Canadian talent for a few years there seems to be a huge wave coming through highschool right now. It would be a good time for the Gonzaga recruiters to be looking.

At first I scoffed at Barrett to Gonzaga, but then noodled on it more and it is not so far fetched. First he is 99% reclassifying to 2018 so lets get that out there. Second, Canada basketball has a long history of terrible nepotism so the Barrett Sr /Jay Triano connection could bare fruit. RJ is most certainly a one and done, so it is going to be tough to out recruit UK's golden touch there. Further UK seemed to be the right move for Jamal Murray and Team RJ would be very familiar with Murray's experience.
                        The Canadian bball community is tight and RJ is being handled carefully. Spokane might be a little remote from the Toronto market where 90% of these guys are from. Gonzaga has had more success with the odd West Coast Canadian talent.

But I've gone from "no way RJ would be a Zag", to "Hmmm...maybe there is a chance!".
                        I think we were recruiting Manny Akot and since he's from Alberta, I though we had a good shot at him, but he committed elsewhere.

Comment

• SLOZag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

FWIW: "elsewhere" = Arizona
                          SLOZag
                          "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by SLOZag View Post
                            FWIW: "elsewhere" = Arizona
                            recruiting?

Comment

• OntZags
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
                              Yeah, I know all about Barret, he's the #1 ranked player in 2018 and the highest ranked Canadian player ever, even higher than Wiggins. I would say the chances are slim and none.
                              Iirc Wiggins was unanaimous #1 too so I don't know that he's "higher" than him. But I do like Barrett more from what I've seen. Wiggins has him beat athletically but he has a better killer instinct.

I'm not suggesting Gonzaga has a great chance at him but I absolutely believe they should at the very least try.

Rowan Barrett is a very intelligent, level headed man who will look to advise his son to make the best decision for his career. And there is no way he doesn't have a tremendous of respect for Mark Few's coaching & conditioning staff. He has a direct feed into Gonzaga's program through his Basketball Canada partner in Jay Triano. They absolutely compare well to all the best staffs in the nation. (everybody has different strengths/weaknesses but this program is currently headed by a group as skilled as any in the nation)

RJ came from Ontario and played prep ball in Vermont. The notion of balling out in Spokane isn't going to be some crazy concept. And it has a lot of advantageous in removing you from a lot of the distractions that follow elite recruits into elite programs based in big markets. Purely speculative but I can't see how Rowan & RJ couldn't see that appeal.

As great as this team was that Few built I don't believe it's a sustainable template on a yeartoyear basis. You need to interject elite level recruits if you want to consistently compete for a national title. You don't have to go after them all of course lol but getting at least the odd one here or there is necessary. (and Collins comes really close to fitting that bill. He was way undervalued coming in.) This program is at a point where with the right investment they can parlay that success into consistently competing for a national title every season. The time is now.

Take the money from this year and make some stabs. It doesn't have to be Barrett specifically - though I believe he is the type of recruit more likely to be receptive - but they absolutely need to start gunning for some more top guys. You don't need to completely change the paradigm of what they've built but just augment it a little. I don't see how it could hurt to try. This staff is amazing and the creme-de-la-creme recruits should absolutely be receptive to the prospect of joining Gonzaga moving forward.

Comment

Working...
                              X