PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Article offering the big picture perspective Mark Few referenced

Hooray4Daye&Gray
04-06-2017, 03:23 PM
If you're ready for it, this ESPN article does a good job of closing the book on our tough championship loss, helping us put the wildly successful season in perspective. It helped me turn the page after falling numb as I walked out of University of Phoenix stadium on Monday night.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19073190/gonzaga-bulldogs-live-coming-close-ncaa-title-game-north-carolina-tar-heels

We all watched the game, so I'll keep my thoughts on it brief. Two of our three best players consistently missed shots they usually make 90% of the time, and our third best player that would have made the game winning shots down the stretch against 1 on 1 defense was fouled out by that point. The part that hurts is our defense was so fantastic that we still almost won despite playing unimaginably bad offense by this team's standards.

That all said, I refuse to be crushed by this loss. In fact, I choose to celebrate the dream season I've always hoped for! Final Four. That was always my hope. I even got to watch us win a game in the Final Four, a lifelong memory to savor. I want to thank this year's team for showing me the power of positivity. They forever changed the way I'll watch sports, now knowing that my teams are not cursed and incapable of overcoming adversity.

I look forward to expecting and enjoying entertainment and emotion from future Gonzaga teams. Like this one, I always know I can count on them to try their best and want it just as much as I do, and that's all I can ask for. Thank you to all the former players that live by this standard and continue to support the program directly and indirectly, thank you to the current players for allowing all future players to play with the freedom of confidence by silencing the doubters, and thank you most of all to Mark Few for being a one of a kind leader of this program and family.

Zag365
04-06-2017, 04:04 PM
There are more to come.

SLOZag
04-06-2017, 04:15 PM
The part that hurts is our defense was so fantastic that we still almost won despite playing unimaginably bad offense by this team's standards.

The part that hurts is with our guys rising to the rebounding challenge against a really good rebounding team, and with our fantastic defense, we still almost won despite playing unimaginably bad offense by this team's standards.

Reborn
04-06-2017, 08:19 PM
The part that hurts is with our guys rising to the rebounding challenge against a really good rebounding team, and with our fantastic defense, we still almost won despite playing unimaginably bad offense by this team's standards.

I hate to say it, a huge part of our poor offensive showing was the great defense by UNC. They are huge and fast and guarded us better than any team in the tournament. They hut down Oregon too. We still could have won because NGW got really hot, and had it not been for that freakish sprain ankle again with a minute and a half left I truly think we would have won. They could not stop Goss.

Gonzaga will be BACK, sooner than later. This team broke the glass ceiling and now it's going to be easier. Next time we'll win it all. First things first. Build on what they did this year and get back next year.

ZagaZags
04-06-2017, 11:33 PM
I hate to say it, a huge part of our poor offensive showing was the great defense by UNC. They are huge and fast and guarded us better than any team in the tournament. They hut down Oregon too. We still could have won because NGW got really hot, and had it not been for that freakish sprain ankle again with a minute and a half left I truly think we would have won. They could not stop Goss.

Gonzaga will be BACK, sooner than later. This team broke the glass ceiling and now it's going to be easier. Next time we'll win it all. First things first. Build on what they did this year and get back next year.

Getting to the Final Four is never easy. (For anyone.)

Zagger
04-07-2017, 03:36 AM
Getting to the Final Four is never easy. (For anyone.)

I'll second that comment! It was a long year for this team. As long as one can make a season. Having the right mix, everyone able to play, all the tangibles and made baskets at the right time .... When 60+ teams chosen for their play during the season are all trying for the same thing and the Zags end up in the Final Four - that's so sweet! I feel it's not going to be easy to do that again. But, it'll be easier :)

TexasZagFan
04-07-2017, 05:10 AM

There were only a few programs nationwide with the length, size, and athleticism of UNC. Except for a bit of panic in the final 90 seconds, it would have gone down to the wire. We had a deep bench that could have used to foul in the final minute, and take advantage of UNC's troubles at the FT line. Those turnovers in rapid succession took away that tactic.