PDA

View Full Version : Draftexpress.com's 2017 Early Entry List For NBA Draft

CDC84
04-06-2017, 09:11 AM
I will sticky this in the general basketball forum for awhile. It is a highly useful place to see what is going on with individual players:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-draft-early-entry-list

Please note the following: I spoke with Jon, and he said that "In For Good?" means that the player WILL BE signing with an agent, but just hasn't decided on one yet.

So if you see a kid with no check marks next to "In For Good?" and "Agent," that player is merely "testing the waters." There is still a possibility they may return to school.

MDABE80
04-06-2017, 09:25 AM
Our two guys will test. Nigel. Can be POY and top 5 Wooden candidate if he stays. Ya can't eat either though. Love for both to come back. Right now I don't see Nigel as an NBA guy. Euro yes. ZC simply needs more work. , more size and playing time he'd wouldn't get in NBA. ZC needs to play and develop,

seacatfan
04-06-2017, 10:06 AM
Saw in the paper this morning Ike Anigbogu (UCLA, Fr.) and Bennie Boatwright (USC, Soph) have added their names. That's 3-3 on UCLA's freshmen class.

Looking at that linked list is...discouraging. Probably quite a few are just testing the waters to get feedback and will return to college. Just so many names, quite a few of which were role players in college. Seems like delusions of grandeur to be considering jumping to the NBA. I noticed two from Oregon St. They are decent players, but OSU was terrible this year. I was shocked to see anybody from there considering jumping early.

Alum08
04-06-2017, 10:13 AM
Saw in the paper this morning Ike Anigbogu (UCLA, Fr.) and Bennie Boatwright (USC, Soph) have added their names. That's 3-3 on UCLA's freshmen class.

Looking at that linked list is...discouraging. Probably quite a few are just testing the waters to get feedback and will return to college. Just so many names, quite a few of which were role players in college. Seems like delusions of grandeur to be considering jumping to the NBA. I noticed two from Oregon St. They are decent players, but OSU was terrible this year. I was shocked to see anybody from there considering jumping early.

The new EE rules make it dumb for players NOT to declare early IMO. Pro-level assessments at the combine and one NBA team workout without any repercussions.

seacatfan
04-06-2017, 10:17 AM
The new EE rules make it dumb for players NOT to declare early IMO. Pro-level assessments at the combine and one NBA team workout without any repercussions.

Yeah, I probably need to hit some kind of reset button on how I view this. Unless they hire an agent it probably doesn't mean much.

WallaWallaZag
04-06-2017, 10:33 AM

not smart if you're not a legit early-entry prospect as you only get to do it once...many declare at least a year or two too early.

fringe prospects should wait until their junior years...like nigel

Alum08
04-06-2017, 10:45 AM
not smart if you're not a legit early-entry prospect as you only get to do it once...many declare at least a year or two too early.

fringe prospects should wait until their junior years...like nigel

This is not true as of 2016. Players can declare and withdraw as many times as they wish. Source: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14564613/date-nba-draft-commitment-pushed-may

basketballzag
04-06-2017, 10:53 AM
These kids need to remember that 1/3 of players drafted last year were international players thanks to Draft and Stash.

CDC84
04-06-2017, 12:27 PM
I was surprised to see Briscoe's name in there. I call him Brickso. He can defend, but he can't shoot, and that's not good for a NBA guard.

basketballzag
04-06-2017, 03:17 PM
I was surprised to see Briscoe's name in there. I call him Brickso. He can defend, but he can't shoot, and that's not good for a NBA guard.

Creighton's Justin Patton has declared for the draft and will sign with an agent which could definitely impact Collins' draft status. Jarrett Allen and John Collins also factor into ZC's draft positioning.

whatazag
04-06-2017, 10:07 PM
I didn't know Mika had declared. I assume he will come back but that indicates to me its very unlikely he will finish out his 4 years at BYU.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-07-2017, 05:25 AM
I didn't know Mika had declared. I assume he will come back but that indicates to me its very unlikely he will finish out his 4 years at BYU.

The chatter out of Provo suggests that he won't be back to BYU even if he goes undrafted. He is apparently ready to head to the Euro-leagues if the NBA doesn't want him.

Coach Crazy
04-07-2017, 06:36 AM
The chatter out of Provo suggests that he won't be back to BYU even if he goes undrafted. He is apparently ready to head to the Euro-leagues if the NBA doesn't want him.

That makes no sense, if he is actually thinking that. Either he is getting bad advice, or not listening to the good advice. Seriously. Why?

Goshzagit
04-07-2017, 06:37 AM

He is a married man now.

His family is incredibly wealthy. His Father's company sold for 1.1 billion recently. Eric's childhood home was 8000 sq ft.

The only thing which surprises me is his intermediate family all graduated from BYU. I would think there would be some pressure to earn his degree.

Although, he is already 22 yrs old, & wouldnt graduate til he is 25!

Why not play for pay now? Finish degree later.

I also think he makes a NBA roster. Add 15 lbs of muscle on a terrific frame, an underrated shooter, awesome motor. He could become a nice back up PF.

rennis
04-07-2017, 06:38 AM
That makes no sense, if he is actually thinking that. Either he is getting bad advice, or not listening to the good advice. Seriously. Why?

He's tired of finishing third in a truck stop conference?

Goshzagit
04-07-2017, 06:40 AM

Dont forget he will be a 23 yr old junior.

Makes a difference.

Heck he's nearly 3 yrs older than Sabonis. And 5 yrs older than Collins.

Coach Crazy
04-07-2017, 06:48 AM
Dont forget he will be a 23 yr old junior.

Makes a difference.

Heck he's nearly 3 yrs older than Sabonis. And 5 yrs older than Collins.

If he's willing to go Euro, then he might as well stay another year. Going Euro isn't going to get him that much more of a look. Unless he's ok with not going to League. In which case, his decision would make sense.

That will be a big hit to BYU, if he leaves.

seacatfan
04-07-2017, 11:19 AM
Saw a report that Luke Kennard is declaring and plans to hire an agent. Duke is getting absolutely gutted between early entries and transfers. I love it! That just means they are clearing roster spots for all the unsigned McD's AA, but I'll enjoy it for now. Life hasn't been all that rosy for the Dukies since the Championship it '15.

CDC84
04-07-2017, 03:23 PM
These kids need to remember that 1/3 of players drafted last year were international players thanks to Draft and Stash.

I don't know how many great Euros there are this year compared to last year, but there likely won't be nearly as many internationals chosen this time around, although it is a good point - it is something USA kids need to look into.

There's a reason why so many internationals were chosen last year. NBA executives generally feel and still feel that the 2016 American draft class was one of the worst in NBA history. Teams in the 2nd round were practically trying to give their picks away via trade but there were no takers, so they ended up drafting a bunch of Euros who will probably never play here because they had to chose somebody. Teams wanted to make as little of an investment as possible because there were so few American players who were any good.

There's a reason why the NCAA tournament and final 4 saw a massive increase in TV ratings over last year......there is way more talent in this year's USA draft class. People were more excited to witness March Madness because there were more good players. I think 50 years from now the 2017 recruiting class will go down as one of the deepest recruiting classes ever. There's no LeBron, but there were just so many good players, and it made for a college basketball season that was 5x more exciting than 2016.

seacatfan
04-13-2017, 11:12 AM
This hasn't been bumped for a while. I'm sure there have been a bunch more declarations in the last week. Several notable players are Brooks and Dorsey from Oregon and Jackson from North Carolina. Trier is returning to Arizona.

CDC84
04-13-2017, 11:17 AM
Good for Alonzo. He's got a chance to really improve his stock on what figures to be another very good Arizona team who is going to have one hell of a player in the middle next season.

thespywhozaggedme
04-13-2017, 11:29 AM
Bridges was predicated to go top 10 and just cancelled his meeting with his agent, pulled his name outta the draft and is coming back. This move blows Mr. Collins theory outta the water.

MDABE80
04-13-2017, 11:54 AM
How much money does a lottery pick make???

http://heavy.com/sports/2016/06/nba-first-pick-money-make-salary-what-how-much-rookie-ben-simmons-contract-worth-salary-cap-first-round-list/

Zagdawg
04-13-2017, 12:40 PM
So with some predictions of Zach going at pick 12/13 this year vs top 5-7 next year -- he would be walking away from between $2.5-$4 million over the first 3 years of his contract --possibly (calculation based upon Pick 7 vs. pick 12 and 5 vs 12).

But he is in the league and that was his dream and he does not take the chance of an injury causing issues with his career.

Would you do one more year of college to chance a shot at $2.5-$4 million dollars?

Bird in the hand...... Or enjoy the college life one more year?

CDC84
04-13-2017, 12:56 PM
How much money does a lottery pick make???

http://heavy.com/sports/2016/06/nba-first-pick-money-make-salary-what-how-much-rookie-ben-simmons-contract-worth-salary-cap-first-round-list/

This doesn't factor in the amount of money that a lottery pick makes with endorsements. Durant got something like a $200 million dollar shoe deal. That's where these guys make the bucks. Not base salary. Phil Knight was asked if Lonzo Ball might get a billion dollar endorsement deal with Nike or some other company. Obviously, Mr. Knight said that he thought that would be rather extreme. One of the reasons why Lonzo's Dad needs to shut up is that it might make companies less willing to endorse his son. It may even cost him a few spots in the draft.

MDABE80
04-13-2017, 01:26 PM
Yep......that's correct. The salary is decent but the REAL money is in other things. One thing on Ball: His father is so irriitating, it's spilling over to his children. If I was Alfordd, I'd bring the dad in and spell out the terms. The biggest would be to stop talking as the ill will is tainting the kids Alford's trying to develop...UCLA itself doesn't need or want Daddy Ball's type of crazy talk.

Mr Vulture
04-13-2017, 01:29 PM
So with some predictions of Zach going at pick 12/13 this year vs top 5-7 next year -- he would be walking away from between $2.5-$4 million over the first 3 years of his contract --possibly (calculation based upon Pick 7 vs. pick 12 and 5 vs 12).

But he is in the league and that was his dream and he does not take the chance of an injury causing issues with his career.

Would you do one more year of college to chance a shot at $2.5-$4 million dollars?

Bird in the hand...... Or enjoy the college life one more year?

Collins staying in college would cost him a year of earning potential if he were to develop, which I think he does. If he ends up signing a second NBA contract it would most definately be in far excess of $4M.