PDA

View Full Version : A couple of words on the season and the postseason

IMADEYOUREADTHIS
04-06-2017, 08:13 AM
I used to post here before under a different username, and even though I stopped posting, I continued to read these boards every day. Anyway, that's my disclaimer.

First some not-so-breaking news - this season was ALL-TIME. What these young men accomplished is unbelievable. And I think that most fans (bandwagon or not) have gotten so spoiled with the recent success, the tourney streak, the top 15 rankings, the high seeds, etc - that the reality of what just happened isn't as momentous as it really should be.

Here's a text I sent to one of my friends the day before the first Final Four game:

Tomorrow, the small Jesuit school from Spokane, Washington that just over 20 years ago seriously considered moving down to Division 2 will play in the Final Four. Not as a George Mason or VCU type Cinderella, but as the favored team to win the entire thing according to most advanced metrics.

Pretty incredible.

If you haven't yet, get a copy of Bud Wither's Glory Hounds (https://www.amazon.com/Glory-Hounds-Northwest-Reshaped-Basketball-ebook/dp/B01N95O6AG) and immerse yourself in this completely unbelievable story.

I'm so grateful that these amazing young men, led by not only one of the best coaches in the game, but for my money the best role model for these players, gave us one incredible ride.

As far as this offseason, and the potential loss of Collins and NWG, let me say this:

Collins would definitely benefit from another year as far as development is concerned, but this may be the right time for him to go. While I wish he would stay, it would do wonders for recruiting to have a player of his caliber be drafted in the lottery after one season.

As far as NWG, please remember, he's given us two years, not one. He's a senior, and he may be at the point in his life where he is ready to start his professional career. He doesn't owe us anything, and while I also hope he stays, I will always root for NWG no matter what. He's been an amazing Zag and the only thing I wish is that we would have had him out of HS.

That is all.

gonzagafan62
04-06-2017, 09:31 AM
+1 thanks for a great read.... after all, you made me.

zag67
04-06-2017, 03:45 PM
Great comments. Thanks

CdAZagFan
04-07-2017, 07:23 AM
Bud, is that you?

DixieZag
04-07-2017, 07:35 AM
We all desperately hope that Collins and NWG return (pre-season #1?) but I think we all would understand any decision made and give them nothing but the best.

IMADEYOUREADTHIS
04-07-2017, 01:12 PM
Bud, is that you?

Bud? No, I'm not Bud.

I was an obnoxious dood back in the day....

IMADEYOUREADTHIS
04-07-2017, 01:13 PM
We all desperately hope that Collins and NWG return (pre-season #1?) but I think we all would understand any decision made and give them nothing but the best.

Bingo. I think we're easily preseason Top 5 if they both return.

Fingers crossed....and toes.