PDA

View Full Version : Comments on the Nat'l Champ broadcast

Birddog
04-05-2017, 04:26 PM
At the top of the show when Nantz was introducing Gonzaga, he stated that they were playing for their first national title in any sport. I'm surprised their researchers or at the very least Gonzaga's SID hadn't informed them of the Zags shared title in NCAA Boxing in 1950. Perhaps the SID had never been asked. I told the SO that before the broadcast was over they would probably correct that, but as far as I know they didn't.

The crew also remarked about and seemed to be very surprised at the number of the Zag faithful that attended the weekend activities. Additionally they also commented about just how many former players were in attendance and how strong the bond between former and present was. All in all, they spoke favorably about the small Jesuit college's culture. There was an ample amount of free pub associated with that weekend appearance. I'm betting Gonzaga reaps some decent reward$. I know I'm thinking of ponying up a little more .

ProVeeZag
04-05-2017, 04:41 PM
At the top of the show when Nantz was introducing Gonzaga, he stated that they were playing for their first national title in any sport. I'm surprised their researchers or at the very least Gonzaga's SID hadn't informed them of the Zags shared title in NCAA Boxing in 1950. Perhaps the SID had never been asked. I told the SO that before the broadcast was over they would probably correct that, but as far as I know they didn't.

The crew also remarked about and seemed to be very surprised at the number of the Zag faithful that attended the weekend activities. Additionally they also commented about just how many former players were in attendance and how strong the bond between former and present was. All in all, they spoke favorably about the small Jesuit college's culture. There was an ample amount of free pub associated with that weekend appearance. I'm betting Gonzaga reaps some decent reward$. I know I'm thinking of ponying up a little more .

Good catch, Bird. I heard them make that comment also, but had forgotten about the boxing title until your post. I believe Carl Maxey was on that boxing team, if not mistaken.

ProVeeZag
04-05-2017, 04:48 PM
Good catch, Bird. I heard them make that comment also, but had forgotten about the boxing title until your post. I believe Carl Maxey was on that boxing team, if not mistaken.

EDIT: Here's a link to a Spokesman story that appeared just this past Sunday (4/2/17) on the passing of James Reilly, who was also a member of that boxing squad. Carl Maxey is pictured also.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/apr/02/james-reilly-who-helped-gonzaga-university-to-ncaa/

Hoopaholic
04-05-2017, 04:54 PM

Dad immediately corrected this regarding national titles

gonzagafan62
04-05-2017, 05:05 PM
I corrected nantz also. My dad looked at me and said that they don't consider boxing a sport lol.

What's funny is I believe after we won the title we stopped competing in boxing and many people thought we would've won back to back titles