PDA

View Full Version : According to Mike Roth: TV viewership up 30% this year

CDC84
04-05-2017, 09:38 AM
For both the national semis and the title game. So much for the TV experts who felt the two west coast teams and South Carolina would hurt the ratings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtI0V9wObWY

Final attendance for the title game was 76,168.

TexasZagFan
04-05-2017, 09:42 AM
I'd like to think our Zags played a role in this. There were many other great story lines in the tournament, to include Northwestern and South Carolina.

jazzdelmar
04-05-2017, 09:52 AM
CBS net vs TBS a factor too....

Birddog
04-05-2017, 10:00 AM
For both the national semis and the title game. So much for the TV experts who felt the two west coast teams and South Carolina would hurt the ratings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtI0V9wObWY

Final attendance for the title game was 76,168.

I'm no expert but I am quite surprised at the viewer numbers. I figured they would be lower than past years.

Zagceo
04-05-2017, 10:03 AM
Saturdays total was 77,612

Have the players been signing autographs all season?

TheGonzagaFactor
04-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Network TV this year, cable last year.

Reborn
04-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Two #1 seeds in the finals must have had something to do with it; and one of those being Gonzaga who is definitely the Darlings of so many people around the world. And then UNC, who is probably the best program in college basketball, and their following. It was a perfect match up. Gonzaga has finally arrived. BUT THERE WILL STILL BE THE DOUBTERS, especially on ESPN. I have lost all respect for Jay Billas and Jay Williams. I hope they get rid of them. They are Way to biased AND THEIR BIAS BLINDS THEM and prevents them from being neutral and objective as analysts should be.

soccerdud
04-05-2017, 11:19 AM
Two #1 seeds in the finals must have had something to do with it; and one of those being Gonzaga who is definitely the Darlings of so many people around the world. And then UNC, who is probably the best program in college basketball, and their following. It was a perfect match up. Gonzaga has finally arrived. BUT THERE WILL STILL BE THE DOUBTERS, especially on ESPN. I have lost all respect for Jay Billas and Jay Williams. I hope they get rid of them. They are Way to biased AND THEIR BIAS BLINDS THEM and prevents them from being neutral and objective as analysts should be.

Dude, Bilas was one of the few talking heads generally saying great things about is all year. Yeah, he predicted a UNC win, but he said he'd probably have picked us against any other team in the field. Jay Williams came around slow, but he was incredibly complimentary of us during the final four weekend and was the only ESPN on-air to pick us over UNC. I get it, we're disrespected. It's often true. But taking that ball of anger and aiming it where it doesn't belong makes us look weak and petty.

Giving us props and picking UNC to win that game was a perfectly reasonable thing to do. From what I saw on both CBS and ESPN, that's mostly what happened. It's ok. We've arrived and there are a million articles saying so. Twitter trolls and maybe Walton deserve that kind of reaction. Not Bilas, Bilas' beard, or the Jay Williams from the Final Four (though he definitely deserved it a month ago)

maynard g krebs
04-05-2017, 11:21 AM
Last year the two semis were +-30 pt blowouts.

TexasZagFan
04-05-2017, 11:58 AM
Dude, Bilas was one of the few talking heads generally saying great things about is all year. Yeah, he predicted a UNC win, but he said he'd probably have picked us against any other team in the field. Jay Williams came around slow, but he was incredibly complimentary of us during the final four weekend and was the only ESPN on-air to pick us over UNC. I get it, we're disrespected. It's often true. But taking that ball of anger and aiming it where it doesn't belong makes us look weak and petty.

Giving us props and picking UNC to win that game was a perfectly reasonable thing to do. From what I saw on both CBS and ESPN, that's mostly what happened. It's ok. We've arrived and there are a million articles saying so. Twitter trolls and maybe Walton deserve that kind of reaction. Not Bilas, Bilas' beard, or the Jay Williams from the Final Four (though he definitely deserved it a month ago)

+1. The doubters' doubts seem to dissipate after the Xavier game, and our toughness against SC was icing on the cake.

Nationally, the vibe is now the Zags are one of the elite programs in the country...IMO, of course.

CDC84
04-05-2017, 01:13 PM
The fact that the west coast hasn't staged a final four in ages played a part in this as well. Also, a lot of people don't realize how freaking big Phoenix is. It's the sixth biggest city in the United States, and there are all sorts of surrounding communities around Phoenix that are large as well. For example, Mesa, which is just 20 miles from Phoenix, is a town with 440,000 people.

CDC84
04-05-2017, 01:15 PM
CBS net vs TBS a factor too....

This is highly underrated. My Dad is one of millions of Americans who don't subscribe to cable or dish. He just gets locals channels and PBS stations. He's on a fixed, monthly retirement income. He can't afford $125 per month or whatever, plus all the installation fees and such.

Zagceo
04-05-2017, 01:19 PM
http://www.adweek.com/tv-video/despite-all-time-classic-ratings-plummet-ncaa-championship-game-170634/

Zagger
04-05-2017, 01:59 PM
This is highly underrated. My Dad is one of millions of Americans who don't subscribe to cable or dish. He just gets locals channels and PBS stations. He's on a fixed, monthly retirement income. He can't afford $125 per month or whatever, plus all the installation fees and such.

That's what was so nice about places like the Garland and the Bing here in town showing the games for free on their big screens. It will be very interesting to see how TV viewership goes for Zags games next season.

ProVeeZag
04-05-2017, 05:20 PM

Hey Bornie, we all have our opinions, but gotta say I've liked Jay Bilas' work (despite his being a Duke alum!) and he has consistently been very supportive of GU for many years now . Jay Williams more of a blueblood loyalist, that won't ever change. The guy I can no longer tolerate is Dollar Bill Walton.