PDA

View Full Version : Putting up with Dukies at work

TexasZagFan
04-05-2017, 06:32 AM
For the past 90 minutes, my IM has been filled with negative posts. I'm used to it, as Duke fans show no respect to other programs. He questioned Karno's heart and manhood, among other things. Rather than go tit for tat, I just sent him this:

Gonzaga 77, South Carolina 73...South Carolina 88, Duke 81. Coach K needs tougher players to move beyond the Sweet 16.

ChicagoZag
04-05-2017, 06:38 AM
I forced myself to take in the ceremonies at the game and committed to staying until they played "One Shining Moment" in the arena. It was rough. The one thing that did bring a smile to my face was the loud cheer that the Tarheel fans gave when the clip was Duke getting eliminated.

LongIslandZagFan
04-05-2017, 06:39 AM
For the past 90 minutes, my IM has been filled with negative posts. I'm used to it, as Duke fans show no respect to other programs. He questioned Karno's heart and manhood, among other things. Rather than go tit for tat, I just sent him this:

Just say this: Round of 32... NC game... Ne real comparison.

gonzagafan62
04-05-2017, 06:40 AM
Their team was overrated all year and got bounced by SC who we beat. Who cares about duke

TexasZagFan
04-05-2017, 06:46 AM
Just say this: Round of 32... NC game... Ne real comparison.

His response? "Butler is a better program than Gonzaga" and "Go back to the bench. I played D1 basketball, neither you nor you son can play."

The last remark was pretty telling. Trash talk is fine, until your children are pulled into it. I'm not expecting an apology.

TexasZagFan
04-05-2017, 06:47 AM
Their team was overrated all year and got bounced by SC who we beat. Who cares about duke

He brought up Duke's titles, to which I replied "Duke is the past, Gonzaga is the future."

U Zig, I Zag
04-05-2017, 06:54 AM
Yikes. Who is this guy? Is it sort of jokey fun or is this all serious?

LongIslandZagFan
04-05-2017, 06:59 AM
His response? "Butler is a better program than Gonzaga" and "Go back to the bench. I played D1 basketball, neither you nor you son can play."

The last remark was pretty telling. Trash talk is fine, until your children are pulled into it. I'm not expecting an apology.

Once I heard him bring my child into it... I'd ask him exactly how hard he'd like to be punched in the face.

BTW... is his name Grayson Allen?

TexasZagFan
04-05-2017, 06:59 AM
Yikes. Who is this guy? Is it sort of jokey fun or is this all serious?

It's serious with this guy. He's a 29 YO GS-12 who knows he's stuck for the next 15 years. The agency I work at is 60% women, and the supervisory hierarchy is 80% women. He's nearing the magic 30, where many of us started looking at different career paths. The bitterness seeps through daily.

Coach Crazy
04-05-2017, 07:02 AM

You mind getting me in contact with him? Crazy illogical dude with thought processes I wouldn't even call 'arguments'.

Birddog
04-05-2017, 07:21 AM
Isn't D U K E the Germanic form of the French D O U C H E ? Ergo a Dukie is a .............

TexasZagFan
04-05-2017, 07:24 AM
Since he's lurking (I forgot to include his reminder that Duke has 5 NC's), I'll just put it out there that it's over the line to rag on another's children.

SWZag
04-05-2017, 07:25 AM
I would do one of the following.

1) Respond with *silence*

2) Turn off IM

Or...

3) "Do you ever wonder what life would be like if you’d had enough oxygen at birth?"

willandi
04-05-2017, 07:26 AM
Once I heard him bring my child into it... I'd ask him exactly how hard he'd like to be punched in the face.

Wow!! Trippy name!

CDC84
04-05-2017, 07:31 AM
Ask this guy what he is trippin' on....

I have never understood why Duke fans seems to hate Gonzaga more than any other program besides UNC. Was it something Few said? Something that one of GU's players did in a game against Duke?

Zagceo
04-05-2017, 07:31 AM
Sorry to hear.

Best to ignore exchanges with ego challenged people from schools that place sports above civility .....or just do as LIZF suggests.

TheGonzagaFactor
04-05-2017, 07:41 AM

Sounds like an insecure ####ole. I'd just feel sorry for him and move on.

To me bringing up your kid just takes this from 99 to 100. Just "Butler is a better program than Gonzaga" and "Go back to the bench. I played D1 basketball" is enough that I'd stay away from the guy until he gets shipped to the psych ward. No normal person would make their insecurity that obvious. Keep an eye out.

GoZags
04-05-2017, 07:43 AM
Since he's lurking (I forgot to include his reminder that Duke has 5 NC's), I'll just put it out there that it's over the line to rag on another's children.

If your work colleague is "lurking" here ... I'll remind him that all he's doing is bringing shame to an excellent University (Duke) and an excellent basketball program (Duke) ... and that virtually no one who's truly associated with the Duke Men's basketball program would support him (or his position) vis a vis Gonzaga.

gonzagafan62
04-05-2017, 07:43 AM

Butler isn't even close to Gonzaga. Not as many elite eights, sweet sixteens, missed tournament 8 times since our run (which by the way we've missed zero tourneys) not as many conference tournament championships in a weaker league in the horizon) or regular season championships... yes I know they are in big east now... understand what I mean now?

Better program? Heck no. Oh and they don't have the family we do either, or the brand that Gonzaga does not do they have a spot for them on thursdays and Saturday's on TV just for Butler.... there's one for Gonzaga though

gonzagafan62
04-05-2017, 07:46 AM
If your work colleague is "lurking" here ... I'll remind him that all he's doing is bringing shame to an excellent University (Duke) and an excellent basketball program (Duke) ... and that virtually no one who's truly associated with the Duke Men's basketball program would support him (or his position) vis a vis Gonzaga.

This. Guy should he ASHAMED of himself .... and shouldn't be watching ball if he makes everything so personal. This is the BEST game. Basketball is fun! No reason to take it to levels of children. Completely uncalled for

Bowser
04-05-2017, 08:31 AM
Unfortunately for him, his D1 basketball experience was for naught. He appears unfamiliar with the concept of sportsmanship. Sad.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-05-2017, 08:35 AM
Would it be crazy to suggest that some part of Zags fans LIKES having all these haters out there? It's become such a big part of the Zag Fan identity...ripping Jay Williams's tweet, and all the other ESPN guys who pick against us. We revel in it, and we rally around it. Ultimately, it creates camaraderie.

Mojo13
04-05-2017, 08:54 AM
I doubt it is a Duke thing. This guy is just a sad insecure person who would be acting no different if he went to any other school.

I have three close friends who are Dukies. Cool, humble guys to the man and - surprise, surprise have been all cheering for Gonzaga for years. Maybe it is because they are West Coast guys and actually get to see the Zags play. They see more similarities with Gonzaga than differences. Their hate is for UNC and Kentucky.

I watched the Duke/Zags E8 match up with them and they were all complimentary and humble the whole way through. I recall them more ripping on Okafor's inability to defend for most of the game.

Anyways...just ignore the guy. If he has any sway on your emotional state...he is winning. Don't feed the trolls...

Zags11
04-05-2017, 09:00 AM

This. I'd be defensive once my son was brought up.

LongIslandZagFan
04-05-2017, 09:13 AM
Unfortunately for him, his D1 basketball experience was for naught. He appears unfamiliar with the concept of sportsmanship. Sad.

Played in an over 30 league with a D1 player. Which leads to the question... why on earth would a former D1 player be playing in an over 30 mens league at a church? Also, quite honestly the biggest jerk I ever played against. A guy on our team was in his early 50s... D1 player who had about 1 foot in height on him decides to go crazy and "back him down" in the post. Naturally, my teamate gets knocked on his keister. D1 player then proceeds to fall over the guy he had just knocked down. My teamate hops up and offers him a hand up, he smacks his hand away angrily. Ref called a foul on the floor, which aggravated him even more. I should note this guy complained about every call and said everything was a foul. I knew in an instant that they'd pass the ball into the jerk. When they did, I made sure I made as much contact as I could with this guy with a couple hard smacks to the arms as he went up. As I walked away from the play. As I went by the ref I said... "Now THAT was a foul." Took the ref a bit to compose himself from the laughter.

kitzbuel
04-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Wow. So he lurks here just to troll you? That is a remarkable level of resolve and single-mindedness of purpose. I am impressed and appalled.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

zagcheer78
04-05-2017, 10:02 AM
Are you sure that is his real name? Or does he wish he was the Duke guard?

BayAreaZagFan
04-05-2017, 10:09 AM
I doubt it is a Duke thing. This guy is just a sad insecure person who would be acting no different if he went to any other school.

I have three close friends who are Dukies. Cool, humble guys to the man and - surprise, surprise have been all cheering for Gonzaga for years. Maybe it is because they are West Coast guys and actually get to see the Zags play. They see more similarities with Gonzaga than differences. Their hate is for UNC and Kentucky.

I watched the Duke/Zags E8 match up with them and they were all complimentary and humble the whole way through. I recall them more ripping on Okafor's inability to defend for most of the game.

Anyways...just ignore the guy. If he has any sway on your emotional state...he is winning. Don't feed the trolls...

I work with a Duke grad. My boss's boss. Not obnoxious, rude, mean, etc. ... just condescending, which to me is even worse.

But the obnoxious UCLA fans I work with... oh my god. Do not get me started!

TexasZagFan
04-05-2017, 10:30 AM
I work with a Duke grad. My boss's boss. Not obnoxious, rude, mean, etc. ... just condescending, which to me is even worse.

But the obnoxious UCLA fans I work with... oh my god. Do not get me started!

During my days in the Army, I ran into a few West Pointers like that...just a few. Most were good dudes, down to earth.

The guys you had to watch out for were those who were Generals aides...hoo boy! I worked for a guy who was promoted to Major after a couple of years of being an aide. We got off to a bad start, and it went downhill from there...lol. About a year after being "rescued" by the Battalion S-4, I ran into a situation as the new S-4 (Supply Officer). One of our missile systems was on its way back from Crete, and I was told at 9 AM that morning (a Friday) that it would land in Frankfurt (Rhein Main) in about six hours.

Our only viable option was to get the aircraft diverted to Bitburg, where it was based. The logistics and safety issues in sending a tracked vehicle retriever 100 miles were too many to ponder. After my NCOs and I came up with our course of action, I went to the Major for help, due to the contacts he maintained while working for the General. Of course, he said he couldn't help. My XO was no help, wasn't his fault, this was his first week in country. I spent the next 4 hours on the phone, calling HQs in Frankfurt, Darmstadt, Hannover, Bremerhaven, etc.

At about 2 PM, I called the Army Liaison Officer at Ramstein. This LT Colonel was a big help, and a gamechanger. I gave him my sob story, but he understood where I was coming from...who in their right mind would put a 50 ton vehicle on the autobahn on a Friday afternoon? Ten minutes later, he called me back, saying "if you'll pay for the gas and provide overnight security for the plane, it's yours." I relayed the message to the Battery Commander at Bitburg, and he was thrilled with the turn of events.

The plane got the order to divert 10 minutes before landing at Rhein Main. After the plane landed at 3:30, and I was sure that our end of the bargain was being kept, I headed out to the Spangdahlem O'Club across the street. The Major and I meet in the hallway, and he had a really PO'ed look on his face, and muttered in a low tone: good job.

That was one of the best days of my generally undistinguished military career.

scrooner
04-05-2017, 10:45 AM
7-1 vs KenPom top 20. Duke was 5-3.

titopoet
04-05-2017, 10:46 AM
He brought up Duke's titles, to which I replied "Duke is the past, Gonzaga is the future."

Hopefully Chase Jeter makes the jump by coming to Gonzaga. I think Travis and company can do with Jeter what Coach K and his staff couldn't.

TexasZagFan
04-05-2017, 10:55 AM
7-1 vs KenPom top 20. Duke was 5-3.

I'm sure the response would be: NC's - Duke 5, Zags 0. I give 'em credit, they took us down two years ago. All part of the journey we're on as Zag fans.

Coach K is like Don Corleone...Duke will still be good, but they'll drop a notch or two. Just look at the records of schools after they replace legendary coaches, such as Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, etc. You know someone's going to take the job when K departs, but they would be wise to consider the travails of the successors, such as "Guth" at UNC.

bartruff1
04-05-2017, 10:58 AM
I don't care for the new Kendall Jenner Pepsi ad....

zagmantis2001
04-05-2017, 10:59 AM

Nobody can question Karnowski's heart and "manhood". This kid works his butt off for four years getting in better shape and drastically improving his foot work. He gets injured and has a back injury so serious that he will be lucky to even walk-and he spends a year busting his ass to he can play basketball. Then, after that miracle, he leads his team to the freaking national championship and, after they lose, goes on line and thanks all of the GU fans. That duke guy is an idiot.

TexasZagFan
04-05-2017, 11:00 AM
I don't care for the new Kendall Jenner Pepsi ad....

I saw that this morning, holy cow!

ETA: Little did I know that bart was so influential...Pepsi just pulled that ad.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/news-and-views/the-backlash-to-kendall-jenners-pepsis-protest-ad-was-swift-and-just-20170404-gvduo0.html