• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JPtheBeasta
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2008

The UNC Fan[-ish] Section

GLENDALE, Ariz. — About 90 minutes before tipoff of Monday’s NCAA title game between North Carolina and Gonzaga, a line of white shirt-clad students started to file into UNC’s student section.

This wasn’t a coordinated whiteout of the floor-level section at University of Phoenix Stadium. In fact, these weren’t even North Carolina students...

The Kennel Club/GU student section did great all weekend. Other than the Jump Around portion of the night which involved the student sections (if you haven't figured it out already) jumping around to the song "Jump Around" by House of Pain- which the GU student section was obviously ambivalent too both nights- the GU student section consistently looked much more energized and organized than the fans of either team they faced. It was fun to watch and hear, even from my seats up in the 400 level.
  • Zagceo
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/unc-...caa-title-game

The Kennel Club/GU student section did great all weekend. Other than the Jump Around portion of the night which involved the student sections (if you haven't figured it out already) jumping around to the song "Jump Around" by House of Pain- which the GU student section was obviously ambivalent too both nights- the GU student section consistently looked much more energized and organized than the fans of either team they faced. It was fun to watch and hear, even from my seats up in the 400 level.
    I wondered about those white shirts.......saw them outside the Stadium and thought a reveal of some sort.

Comment

• ProVeeZag
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2011

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/unc-...caa-title-game

Were you able to see much "on court" action from your seat or were you more often watching the video screens? Scoping the size of that stadium while watching the game on tv, my wife wondered if fans could actually enjoy the game from the upper level. Just curious....thanks.
      "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
      —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• Birddog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

From the OP's linked article,
        . The ASU students, accounting for more than 70 percent of the section, held up the Sun Devils’ “Fork ‘Em” hand signal and cheered.
        I guess blue blood students have a sense of entitlement.
        Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
        Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
        All mimsy were the borogoves,
        And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by ProVeeZag View Post
          Were you able to see much "on court" action from your seat or were you more often watching the video screens? Scoping the size of that stadium while watching the game on tv, my wife wondered if fans could actually enjoy the game from the upper level. Just curious....thanks.
          You could see mostly everything, surprisingly. I missed when JW3 fouled Silva's elbow with his face, and a couple of times it was hard to see the ball go in the hoop, but otherwise I preferred to avoid watching the screen. If they had used the widescreen in the end zone more it might have been a different story, but the hanging scoreboard didn't feel much bigger than the live action from where we were.

Comment

• sittingon50
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

A shortage of UNC students? Must have stayed at school to keep up with their studies.

I don't necessarily blame an ASU student from taking advantage of a freebie like this, but it all seems pretty weak to me.
            But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
              A shortage of UNC students? Must have stayed at school to keep up with their studies.

I don't necessarily blame an ASU student from taking advantage of a freebie like this, but it all seems pretty weak to me.
              I don't blame either party. It would look terrible to have a student section that went only a few rows deep with warm bodies. I am proud of our guys, though, for doing what they do. I could hear them pretty well from across the stadium.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

I don't blame either party. It would look terrible to have a student section that went only a few rows deep with warm bodies. I am proud of our guys, though, for doing what they do. I could hear them pretty well from across the stadium.
                2100 miles from Chapel Hill to Phoenix. Even with an undergrad enrollment of 18K+, that seems a stretch so soon after spring break.

I think it's about 1100 miles from Spokane to Phoenix, a good haul itself.

Dallas to Nashville was our longest road trip at 650 miles. That's about an hour more than our commutes to El Paso (wife's family). Google says it should take only 11 hours from Big D to Music City. Traffic jams caused by a couple of tornados added a couple of hours to our jaunt. We had the weather station on from Texarkana to Memphis.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                  2100 miles from Chapel Hill to Phoenix. Even with an undergrad enrollment of 18K+, that seems a stretch so soon after spring break.

I think it's about 1100 miles from Spokane to Phoenix, a good haul itself.

Dallas to Nashville was our longest road trip at 650 miles. That's about an hour more than our commutes to El Paso (wife's family). Google says it should take only 11 hours from Big D to Music City. Traffic jams caused by a couple of tornados added a couple of hours to our jaunt. We had the weather station on from Texarkana to Memphis.
                  11 hours to go 650 miles... sounds brutal, Tex.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

11 hours to go 650 miles... sounds brutal, Tex.
                    The trip to Nashville took 13 hours. We were flying on I-40 in Arkansas when the first tornado warning hit, nothing but a parking lot for 30 minutes, as was the second warning an hour later. Rained like crazy the entire time.

El Paso's about 600 miles, best time was 8 1/2 hours. When the kids were younger, it was usually 11 hours due to pit stops. Speed limit on I-20 goes as high as 85, from Midland to the border of El Paso County.

Comment

• CarolinaZagFan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2007

C'mon now, they couldn't afford to miss their fake classes on Monday.
                      "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Working...
                      X