PDA

View Full Version : RUI

zagsfanforlife
04-04-2017, 09:19 PM
I really believe the determining factor next year between being a top 20-25 team to a top 10 team will be the progress of Rui Hachimura. Will he learn the English language and the intricacies of American play calls by next year? Will he continue to refine his unbelievable skills and athleticism? Will he learn to play more under control, but take advantage of his worldly skills when possible? will he commit to defense, which would lead him to be a shut down force given his athleticism and long arms.

A few questions:

1) Is Rui staying in Spokane or going back to Japan this summer?

2) Does he have any international obligations this summer that will prevent him from being in Spokane refining his game?

If Rui can step in and be the starting 3 as early as next year, we will be in great shape. Do we think thats possible? Is he still another year off (18-19 season?)

Watching this guy in Phoenix in person--- man-- he just glides. His dunks are effortless. His jumping is effortless. He has the goods most 99% of players dont wish have and wish they did.

hooter73
04-04-2017, 10:07 PM
I respectfully disagree. Rui is two years away from starter type minutes and impact. He does need to stay in Spokane to learn and play but imo that difference will show in a couple years. next year, no matter what, will be a series of ups and downs in ten to twelve minute spurts for rui and everyone from Tillie to kispert will be taking those make or break the game type minutes.

MDABE80
04-05-2017, 12:37 AM
Needs help in many things. Language is big. Needs ot spend time learning his position. He's got those magnificent tools but if he doesn't learn to use them, all for naught.

Outraged
04-05-2017, 04:40 AM
I tink the biggest determining factor will be his ability to play defense.

TexasZagFan
04-05-2017, 04:42 AM
I respectfully disagree. Rui is two years away from starter type minutes and impact. He does need to stay in Spokane to learn and play but imo that difference will show in a couple years. next year, no matter what, will be a series of ups and downs in ten to twelve minute spurts for rui and everyone from Tillie to kispert will be taking those make or break the game type minutes.

We may be going with a 9-10 man rotation next year. If so, I think Rui's in there as one of the four bigs: Larsen, Tillie, J3, & Rui. If Zach comes back, or if we add a grad transfer big, he may be a reserve 3. Lots of raw talent, that's easy to see. It will be interesting.

ZagsObserver
04-05-2017, 05:26 AM

This

WallaWallaZag
04-05-2017, 05:57 AM
I really believe the determining factor next year between being a top 20-25 team to a top 10 team will be the progress of Rui Hachimura. Will he learn the English language and the intricacies of American play calls by next year? Will he continue to refine his unbelievable skills and athleticism? Will he learn to play more under control, but take advantage of his worldly skills when possible? will he commit to defense, which would lead him to be a shut down force given his athleticism and long arms.

A few questions:

1) Is Rui staying in Spokane or going back to Japan this summer?

2) Does he have any international obligations this summer that will prevent him from being in Spokane refining his game?

he will be joining the japanese national team before returning to spokane...

gu03alum
04-05-2017, 06:00 AM

I think if that were true then he probably would have redshirted this year. I think he plays 15-20 minutes a game next year.

MickMick
04-05-2017, 06:02 AM
The most unpredictable element of next year in my opinion.

Olynyk's transformation blew my mind. Does Rui have that in him? Probably not without a redshirt.

WallaWallaZag
04-05-2017, 06:06 AM

Olynyk's transformation blew my mind. Does Rui have that in him? Probably not without a redshirt.

totally different situations...olynyk always had skills...he needed a physical transformation

rui already made his physical jump his first summer at gonzaga (and he already had a much higher starting point)...he needs to refine skills now...that can be done while playing so a redshirt isn't necessary

hooter73
04-05-2017, 06:22 AM
I think if that were true then he probably would have redshirted this year. I think he plays 15-20 minutes a game next year.
Red shirting is the players choice... I'll leave it at that.

thespywhozaggedme
04-05-2017, 06:26 AM
We may be going with a 9-10 man rotation next year. If so, I think Rui's in there as one of the four bigs: Larsen, Tillie, J3, & Rui. If Zach comes back, or if we add a grad transfer big, he may be a reserve 3. Lots of raw talent, that's easy to see. It will be interesting.

Tommy is on record as saying that they see Rui as a sf. I see the bigs and sf like this C: Larsen, ?, PF: JWIII, Tillie, SF: Kispert, Rui. Of course, I'm sure we will see 2 or 3 new faces in the next two months. I would like the center from OSU to pull his name outta the draft and grad transfer to us, but that seems like wishful thinking on my part.

WallaWallaZag
04-05-2017, 06:37 AM
Tommy is on record as saying that they see Rui as a sf.

part of it is appeasing the powers that be on the japanese national team side...but from a zag perspective, rui will have a much easier transition getting playing time as a hybrid 4 to start...the 3 in the zag system is essentially a guard and rui needs a lot more refinement to get significant time on the perimeter...this off-season will be very telling in how fast he is picking things up.

Zagger
04-05-2017, 07:17 AM
Zags are often underestimated ...... same goes for Rui. IMHO he may not start next year but I feel he'll have an impact off the bench much like Collins has this season. He'll likely have foul issues .... just like Collins. We may be hoping he sticks around GU for a 3rd year! I really feel that there's a BIG upside to Rui.

I'd just like to add ..... Perkins and Melson could have one heck of a 2017-18 season. I think those two are primed to shine!

thespywhozaggedme
04-05-2017, 07:31 AM
part of it is appeasing the powers that be on the japanese national team side...but from a zag perspective, rui will have a much easier transition getting playing time as a hybrid 4 to start...the 3 in the zag system is essentially a guard and rui needs a lot more refinement to get significant time on the perimeter...this off-season will be very telling in how fast he is picking things up.

That makes no sense. He's a pf for the Japanese national team. Plus Tommy said this to the booster clubs during their luncheons, no Japanese were even there. For years posters have been lamenting that we don't have a true, athletic 6'8 sf that the P5 teams do, and now that we have one everyone wants to turn him into a pf. lol

JAGzag
04-05-2017, 08:00 AM
Zags are often underestimated ...... same goes for Rui. IMHO he may not start next year but I feel he'll have an impact off the bench much like Collins has this season. He'll likely have foul issues .... just like Collins. We may be hoping he sticks around GU for a 3rd year! I really feel that there's a BIG upside to Rui.

I'd just like to add ..... Perkins and Melson could have one heck of a 2017-18 season. I think those two are primed to shine!

I don't see Perkins making any significant gains in his game, but there's still upside to Melson. He's an absolute gamer.

Coach Crazy
04-05-2017, 08:36 AM
Rui needs to learn the offense. His actually skills are there. But when you don't know what you are doing out on the court, said lack of focus makes it hard to be channeled and effective. One step at a time. Let's see if he can learn the language, and then learn the system. The pace at which he does these things will dictate when and what type of impact he has for this team, moving forward.

Hoopaholic
04-05-2017, 08:39 AM
I don't see Perkins making any significant gains in his game, but there's still upside to Melson. He's an absolute gamer.

friendly wager....Perkins will improve in every statistical category next year if he is running the point position

Mr Vulture
04-05-2017, 08:40 AM

I would completely disagree with you as I think the biggest thing Perkins needs to work on is one of the easiest to work on. That is his ball handling, which can be improved greatly thru drills and work. I think that Melson is what he is, which is a very important piece of a very good team. For the record, I think Perkins has a lot of untapped potential that he will continue to develop within the program.

In regards to Rui, he will be in rotation next year for sure. He may not have been involved much this year but the staff said that a lot of that was due to him being behind based on classes he had to take early on. I expect that he is going to look significantly different next year and will be playing at least 10-15 minutes a game (probably more). Truthfully, I thought he looked better (system understanding wise) as the season progressed this year.

zaguarxj
04-05-2017, 08:49 AM
The camera already loves Rui. That shot of him smiling ear-to-ear after making a 3 in the E8 got lots of air-time.

Coach Crazy
04-05-2017, 08:57 AM
I would completely disagree with you as I think the biggest thing Perkins needs to work on is one of the easiest to work on. That is his ball handling, which can be improved greatly thru drills and work. I think that Melson is what he is, which is a very important piece of a very good team. For the record, I think Perkins has a lot of untapped potential that he will continue to develop within the program.

In regards to Rui, he will be in rotation next year for sure. He may not have been involved much this year but the staff said that a lot of that was due to him being behind based on classes he had to take early on. I expect that he is going to look significantly different next year and will be playing at least 10-15 minutes a game (probably more). Truthfully, I thought he looked better (system understanding wise) as the season progressed this year.

I agree with a lot of this. With regard to Josh, he came in not really being the style of guard that plays here. When he had the chance to be the off-ball combo guard (primarily) and play alongside KP...that was cut short. Then, he becomes the point guard for this team as a true freshman, and clearly had some growing pains within Coach Few's offense. THEN, NWG transfers in and he becomes the off-ball combo guard once more, but this time with a different style of PG than that of Pangos.

Regardless of what happens this year, he'll have some familiarity with his situation. He could stand to learn the system a bit more from the true point, so that he can simply just handle the ball and be dynamic without having to think, which can bring tentativeness.

As far as Silas? He found his niche with this team. His value was night and day, as compared to what he was before. Him becoming a rhythmic, patient shot hunter has allowed him to be out on the floor longer. And with his defense being what it is, he has provided increased value.

I'll let Silas prove what he is going to be, next year. But even if it is a repeat of 7.5 BPM, 118.8 ORtg, 92.6 DRtg in in 23.8 mpg...I'll take it.

Chicken Ball
04-05-2017, 09:16 AM
I'll let Silas prove what he is going to be, next year. But even if it is a repeat of 7.5 BPM, 118.8 ORtg, 92.6 DRtg in in 23.8 mpg...I'll take it.

Don't forget also Silas' great turnover numbers. Very solid with the ball. That offensive efficiency rating also shows, I think, that there's substantial room for him to increase his usage rate. I think it would be a plus all around if Silas is taking more shots next year. And if he's on the court for more minutes, we'll also see the results for team defense.

CDC84
04-05-2017, 09:19 AM
Let's hope Rui makes the big freshman to sophomore jump that we usually see with GU players. And that his English skills keep getting better and better.

Coach Crazy
04-05-2017, 10:09 AM
Don't forget also Silas' great turnover numbers. Very solid with the ball. That offensive efficiency rating also shows, I think, that there's substantial room for him to increase his usage rate. I think it would be a plus all around if Silas is taking more shots next year. And if he's on the court for more minutes, we'll also see the results for team defense.

He very much did well in keeping the flow of the offense going and not being irresponsible with his touches, even when it was a touch that would not result in a shot. Before he starts taking more shots, I would love to see the coaching staff sit down with some heat maps of his shot attempts, and then figure out if they were running a set, at what point of the sequence they were in when he shot it...and then start to break down what his mentality was when he was taking those shots.

After that, get in with a sports psych and see if there can be some equitable work. Even if that didn't bear fruit, you'd still hopefully have the player you had this last season. Which was enough.

His shot still seems shaky, but if he can fix it...that would be huge.

MDABE80
04-05-2017, 10:19 AM
The only way Rui improves as a GU player is to spend the time. He is all potential right now.

titopoet
04-05-2017, 10:29 AM

Few is on the record of saying the NBA guys were most interested in Rui and Collins. Right now it mostly about communicating. Already, Few trusted him in the West Virginia. The guy has all the tools and skills; it is about learning to use them in playing off other guys. I think Japan will be enfolded into Zaga nation next year. Rui will dominate as a 3.

thespywhozaggedme
04-05-2017, 10:34 AM
Few is on the record of saying the NBA guys were most interested in Rui and Collins. Right now it mostly about communicating. Already, Few trusted him in the West Virginia. The guy has all the tools and skills; it is about learning to use them in playing off other guys. I think Japan will be enfolded into Zaga nation next year. Rui will dominate as a 3.

yeah, if the hype of Rui and CK are legit, we'll be set at sf for the next several years.

Bogozags
04-05-2017, 10:57 AM

I only wish Silas would have been more aggressive in going to the hoop...I wonder if Coach Few had a leash on him and Josh regarding driving to the basket...

TexasZagFan
04-05-2017, 10:59 AM
yeah, if the hype of Rui and CK are legit, we'll be set at sf for the next several years.

I'm just as excited about Norvell and Larsen. The latest picture of Larsen was a mirror image of freakin' Thor. lol

maynard g krebs
04-05-2017, 11:17 AM
Talking maybe a year or 2 down the road here, JW3 graduated and Tillie to the pros.

I think the future prospect of Rui and Kispert on the floor together, or either one with Norvell, at the two forward spots is an awesome one. I think both Rui and CK have the tools to play as either a 3 or 4. An opponent would almost have to zone; most college 4's couldn't guard Rui on the drive, and Kispert would pull the opposing 4 outside the arc with his shot. And on the break, Rui going for the dunks with Kispert or Norvell trailing for the open spot up 3's is a thought that should have fans drooling.

JAGzag
04-05-2017, 05:54 PM
friendly wager....Perkins will improve in every statistical category next year if he is running the point position

Without NWG he HAS to improve in nearly every category. I like Perk as a role shooter but every time he takes the ball up the floor I hold my breath. How many dumb early mistakes and turnovers did he have to start a game or half in the Tourney (think very first play of the second half against UNC). I like his play, but if the offense runs through him we have a ceiling.

thespywhozaggedme
04-05-2017, 06:06 PM
I'm just as excited about Norvell and Larsen. The latest picture of Larsen was a mirror image of freakin' Thor. lol

Yeah me too! Those four are the next wave of future Zag greats! Where did you see the picture of Larsen? Do you have a link?

Mantua
04-05-2017, 09:01 PM
Yeah me too! Those four are the next wave of future Zag greats! Where did you see the picture of Larsen? Do you have a link?

I agree. I'm mostly excited about Norvell, although I think Kispert and Wade may surprise us.

Larsen seems like a great kid and teammate. Where's that picture?

maynard g krebs
04-05-2017, 09:40 PM
Without NWG he HAS to improve in nearly every category. I like Perk as a role shooter but every time he takes the ball up the floor I hold my breath. How many dumb early mistakes and turnovers did he have to start a game or half in the Tourney (think very first play of the second half against UNC). I like his play, but if the offense runs through him we have a ceiling.

This kind of ####ing garbage is what drives me up a wall. Perkins had NINE! NINE! ####ing turnovers in 244 ####ing minutes in nine postseason games. For the arithmetically impaired, that is an average of 1.0 turnovers in a bit over 27 minutes per postseason game.

You should be ashamed of yourself for posting this kind of nonsense. There was plenty to critique about some of his late season play, but his overall ball security was excellent.

maynard g krebs
04-05-2017, 09:41 PM
I agree. I'm mostly excited about Norvell, although I think Kispert and Wade may surprise us.

Larsen seems like a great kid and teammate. Where's that picture?

Kispert is going to be a force the minute he steps on the court (assuming full recovery of his foot) and it won't surprise me a bit.

chieftain
04-05-2017, 09:53 PM
Love you all!

Ezag
04-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Rui will never play meaningful minutes for the Zags unfortunately.

maynard g krebs
04-05-2017, 10:20 PM

??

Ezag
04-05-2017, 10:29 PM
??

I love Rui, I just think he is too raw and with GU's recruiting we will always be able to get players either high caliber freshman or good transfers who would be much further along

Zagricultural
04-05-2017, 10:45 PM
This kind of ####ing garbage is what drives me up a wall. Perkins had NINE! NINE! ####ing turnovers in 244 ####ing minutes in nine postseason games. For the arithmetically impaired, that is an average of 1.0 turnovers in a bit over 27 minutes per postseason game.

You should be ashamed of yourself for posting this kind of nonsense. There was plenty to critique about some of his late season play, but his overall ball security was excellent.

Couldn't agree more Maynard.

MDABE80
04-06-2017, 12:54 AM
Josh......Dear Lord. Find us point guard to help him like Nigel did.

jazzdelmar
04-06-2017, 04:04 AM

What you see is what u will get with josh. A very good shooter who needs to play with a stud point guard.

jazzdelmar
04-06-2017, 04:07 AM

Kinda leaning this way. A major project.

TexasZagFan
04-06-2017, 04:54 AM

It was in one of the pregame pictures they were flashing of the team. He had that badass Aryan/Russian look to him. lol

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, though I will be looking for photos from the rally today.

Kelly started it, but there is a definite standard being set for those who transfer in or take a redshirt for medical reasons, akin to a "Band of Brothers" theme.

The Zag staff will dazzle Chase Jeter and others with the preparation and thought that will show them our plan for their development. The table has been set.

TexasZagFan
04-06-2017, 04:55 AM

You guys may be right. Rui appears to have the athleticism better suited to the more free wheeling NBA than a structured program like the Zags. The small sample we've seen of Rui is enticing, to say the least.

Hoopaholic
04-06-2017, 05:29 AM

Define meaningful minutes so I am clear about your position

billyberu
04-06-2017, 06:00 AM
Ryan Edwards is a major project with a limited ceiling. Rui has the skills to make the leap and I suspect that he will be getting 10 - 15 minutes per game next year. Writing him off so blithely is a mistake, imo.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

cjm720
04-06-2017, 06:28 AM

I see him getting close to starter type minutes or is in the game at crucial times. His upside is undeniable and he's proved on the court he can play in small minutes this year.

scrooner
04-06-2017, 06:34 AM

Make this a sticky so we can see how wrong you are later.

Birddog
04-06-2017, 06:40 AM
I think Rui will get solid minutes next year. After the 8 man rotation, Alberts (142 mins) and then Rui (128 mins) were next , and Alberts had a jump on Rui at the beginning of the season. The staff trusted Rui enough to play him in the WVU game and stated that they had prepared him for just that sort of job. He is a scorer IMO and if he can get decent at defense, he'll log plenty of minutes. He is 6'8", 225 lbs and pretty darn quick, hard to keep talent like that on the bench.

Hoopaholic
04-06-2017, 06:50 AM
Make this a sticky so we can see how wrong you are later.

agree

still waiting for the definition of "meaningful minutes" so I am very clear on what Ezags position is on Rui

TexasZagFan
04-06-2017, 07:00 AM
agree

still waiting for the definition of "meaningful minutes" so I am very clear on what Ezags position is on Rui

I would define meaningful minutes as "the period from the start of the game to the point where the score is no longer in doubt, and players not in the normal rotation enter the game."

By that definition, Rui played 4 "meaningful minutes" against WVU.

bartruff1
04-06-2017, 07:08 AM
Rui is a freak athlete in the most positive sense, but he doesn't know how to play basketball the Few Way.....Morrison was the only player I ever saw that Mark would turn loose.... even though he didn't know the offense or especially the defense.

Rui will play for big money but I wonder how much he will play at Gonzaga. If he could learn to play in the system and make the sacrifices like Elias Harris.... that would be something to see....

He reminds me of what Huggins said after Few beat him again ...." Mark recruits kids that know how to play basketball, the rest of us recruit kids that can run and jump and shoot the ball but don't know how to play the game. " or words to that effect. I hope I am wrong. He is a diamond in the rough and exciting to watch..so fluid and explosive..

I am most curious to see Wade and Norvell play....

VinnyZag
04-06-2017, 07:18 AM
Everything we've heard from the coaches in media reports is that the coaches really like Hachimura and expect big things from him. I'm not really sure where all the negativity is coming from, particularly since we've barely seen him play so far. Give the kid a chance, for crying out loud.

Birddog
04-06-2017, 07:25 AM
Everything we've heard from the coaches in media reports is that the coaches really like Hachimura and expect big things from him. I'm not really sure where all the negativity is coming from, particularly since we've barely seen him play so far. Give the kid a chance, for crying out loud.

+1

thebigsmoove
04-06-2017, 07:26 AM
...Rui will play for big money...

In what universe is Rui projected to even be an NBA player at this juncture? Hes obviously athletic, but so are like 250 other college ball players who never pan out. Rui is an enormous project, tantalizing, but it will take a lot of hard work for him to get to the point where his natural talent translates into focused, smart basketball. Im just as enamored with him as the next Zag fan, but to expect him to play meaningfully for this team in the next year is a huge stretch. I would not be at all surprised if he redshirts or transfers at some point...Reminds me a lot of what happened with Bol Kong...another immensely talented player that never panned out.

TexasZagFan
04-06-2017, 07:34 AM
In what universe is Rui projected to even be an NBA player at this juncture? Hes obviously athletic, but so are like 250 other college ball players who never pan out. Rui is an enormous project, tantalizing, but it will take a lot of hard work for him to get to the point where his natural talent translates into focused, smart basketball. Im just as enamored with him as the next Zag fan, but to expect him to play meaningfully for this team in the next year is a huge stretch. I would not be at all surprised if he redshirts or transfers at some point...Reminds me a lot of what happened with Bol Kong...another immensely talented player that never panned out.

Your vision is clouded by the "Kentucky effect." The comparison to Bol Kong is IMO, laughable, if only for the confidence Few showed by inserting him in the WVU game. Mark never had that confidence in Bol. The odds were stacked against Bol as regards his immigration status and he fell behind his peers.

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2017, 07:39 AM

This is so bizarre. Rui has played in junior competition against elite players, he averaged over 20ppg against the American u19 team. He's a proven comodity, just has a language hurdle to overcome. Yet, you keep anointing Chase jeter a "star" despite only averaging 2.2 ppg at Duke. You crap on our own players, but salivate over someone else's simply because they wore a jersey that had the name Duke on it.

rennis
04-06-2017, 07:44 AM
In what universe is Rui projected to even be an NBA player at this juncture?

He was, at times this year, projected in some of the mock drafts in 2018. I don't see that happening for obvious reasons, but a lot of people recognize the latent talent.

thebigsmoove
04-06-2017, 08:15 AM
This is so bizarre. Rui has played in junior competition against elite players, he averaged over 20ppg against the American u19 team. He's a proven comodity, just has a language hurdle to overcome. Yet, you keep anointing Chase jeter a "star" despite only averaging 2.2 ppg at Duke. You crap on our own players, but salivate over someone else's simply because they wore a jersey that had the name Duke on it.

What are you talking about? lmao...I love Rui...i just have not seen a single NBA scout mention his name in relation to a draft board yet. I keep seeing people say hes a for sure NBA player...show me where thats been said by anyone of any significance?

thebigsmoove
04-06-2017, 08:17 AM
Your vision is clouded by the "Kentucky effect." The comparison to Bol Kong is IMO, laughable, if only for the confidence Few showed by inserting him in the WVU game. Mark never had that confidence in Bol. The odds were stacked against Bol as regards his immigration status and he fell behind his peers.

In Bols one season with the Zags, he got more minutes than Rui did...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/46952/bol-kong

Id love to be proven wrong. If Rui becomes a star next year, count me as shocked and freaking ecstatic.

Coach Crazy
04-06-2017, 08:43 AM

It's not, though. He had a lot to learn and didn't have the ideal schedule to do so. There will be more time for acclimation, this time around. I would also be interested in hearing how this is like the Bol Kong saga?

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2017, 08:45 AM

Id love to be proven wrong. If Rui becomes a star next year, count me as shocked and freaking ecstatic.

Uh...just a little more talent depth between that team and this one.

zaguarxj
04-06-2017, 08:54 AM
It's basketball, not rocket-science, LOL. I have no doubt that Rui will have no trouble learning the offense and defense well enough to utilize his talent and physical gifts.

WallaWallaZag
04-06-2017, 09:03 AM
That makes no sense. He's a pf for the Japanese national team. Plus Tommy said this to the booster clubs during their luncheons, no Japanese were even there. For years posters have been lamenting that we don't have a true, athletic 6'8 sf that the P5 teams do, and now that we have one everyone wants to turn him into a pf. lol

the japanese are desperate to have a guy in the nba and they believe that rui needs to play the 3 to make it in the league, which is correct...whether or not rui fits the zag system as a 3 is a completely different question. he doesn't need a lot of skill improvement and understanding of the system improvement in order to play the 4 at gu...the 3 is more difficult. all i am saying is that he is more likely to get immediate playing time at the 4 rather than the 3 because of the nature of the positions within the zag system and his current skill set (which may quickly evolve over the summer...hopefully).

edited to add: i believe in all the instances this year where rui got "meaningful" minutes it was at the 4...doesn't mean it will be that way in the future but i think it backs my point.

Birddog
04-06-2017, 09:08 AM
It's basketball, not rocket-science, LOL. I have no doubt that Rui will have no trouble learning the offense and defense well enough to utilize his talent and physical gifts.

I'm not suggesting that Rui's the same kind of player, but as good as Arop was, he never completely grasped Few's system. Missing assignments is more about grasping than fit IMO, but it really doesn't matter much now anyway.

WallaWallaZag
04-06-2017, 09:18 AM
I'm not suggesting that Rui's the same kind of player, but as good as Arop was, he never completely grasped Few's system.

not sure if it wasn't so much didn't "fit" the system as didn't "grasp" the system...i think coleman would also be similar.

scrooner
04-06-2017, 09:18 AM
Uh...just a little more talent depth between that team and this one.

Yes. Bol Kong (12mpg) was a sophmore competing for minutes against freshman versions of Elias Harris (29mpg), Kelly Olynyk (12mpg), and Andy Poling (3mpg).

Birddog
04-06-2017, 09:27 AM
not sure if it wasn't so much didn't "fit" the system as didn't "grasp" the system...i think coleman would also be similar.

IIRC, Arop missed defensive assignments with regularity, his offense wasn't so bad. He was very athletic and fun to watch, could score in bunches, but had too many defensive lapses. Missing assignments is more about grasping than fit IMO, but it really doesn't matter much now anyway.

TexasZagFan
04-06-2017, 09:35 AM

Didn't Coleman transfer from Syracuse, home of the "zone"?

WallaWallaZag
04-06-2017, 09:37 AM
Didn't Coleman transfer from Syracuse, home of the "zone"?

providence i believe...

CDC84
04-06-2017, 09:43 AM
I wish we could get Rui's English skills to a Ph'd level in the next month. That just has to be hell for the coaches in terms of trying to develop him. I don't care if an interpreter is around to assist.

titopoet
04-06-2017, 11:47 AM

I think Rui will make a big, big jump. Maybe I will be proved wrong, but I think I have a good source for my belief

Hes going to be a very, very good player, Gonzaga coach Mark Few said of Hachimura. Hes going to take a big jump.

Rather be wrong with Few rather than right about the kid being a bust.

ZagsZman
04-06-2017, 11:58 AM

Couldn't agree with you more. All this talk of Rui not ever getting "meaningful minutes" is nothing more than clown talk from someone who doesn't understand our system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ZagsZman
04-06-2017, 11:59 AM

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

maynard g krebs
04-06-2017, 12:46 PM
I think Rui will make a big, big jump. Maybe I will be proved wrong, but I think I have a good source for my belief

Rather be wrong with Few rather than right about the kid being a bust.

Agree. Work ethic is ingrained in Japanese culture to an extreme degree. Rui is gonna be a star; just a question of when.

Goshzagit
04-06-2017, 12:58 PM
Rui returning to Japan this summer. Will compete for his National Team.

Once Rui understands the effort and fundamentals of defense, he will log serious mins.

His spacing is subpar and only understands some plays, but that just takes practice.

He was a liability on defense everytime on the court.

The kid has skills. Actually a better than advertised shooter. Once he decides to stay in Spokane all summer, & refine his all around game, he will make a significant jump.

Needs to work at staying conditioned & in shape too.

nish_mode
04-06-2017, 02:19 PM
Legit 6'8 with a 7'2 wingspan, you can't teach that. He's got a bigger wingspan than everyone on the 2017 USA Junior National Team except for Mohamed Bamba. He's also completely changed his body since arriving on campus. If you compare him vs his old h.s. tape Rui is looking like a baby Lebron or a Greek Freak light. He's doing crazy windmills that he couldn't do in high school. He seems to have good mechanics and his shot drops more often than not and is not scared to shoot it. Defensively, he has the potential to be a steal machine like Matisse Thybulle. Put this kid on a less talented team and I think he's a two and done type player.

Bogozags
04-08-2017, 05:18 AM
Rui is a freak athlete in the most positive sense, but he doesn't know how to play basketball the Few Way.....Morrison was the only player I ever saw that Mark would turn loose.... even though he didn't know the offense or especially the defense.

Rui will play for big money but I wonder how much he will play at Gonzaga. If he could learn to play in the system and make the sacrifices like Elias Harris.... that would be something to see....

He reminds me of what Huggins said after Few beat him again ...." Mark recruits kids that know how to play basketball, the rest of us recruit kids that can run and jump and shoot the ball but don't know how to play the game. " or words to that effect. I hope I am wrong. He is a diamond in the rough and exciting to watch..so fluid and explosive..

I am most curious to see Wade and Norvell play....

I equate Rui as a rising 9th grader who speaks English but just hasn't grasped English Grammar so the process of learning "grammar" will be tedious and will depend entirely on how motivated Rui is to learn the "Few System" of basketball as well as English, which would make both transitions much easier...

What almost all of us see of the GU basketball team is entirely pre-game and actual game time playing of our players...we don't know what actually goes on during practice. It just sounds like many of you think that Rui is taken by the hand and walked through the various steps of GU's offences. He is a freshman from a foreign land, where he was a "giant" among boys so he has to re-learn the game. I saw one very glaring part of his game where he really struggled in the beginning and middle part of the season and that was his man-to-man defence...he just seemed to be unable to understand the concept and at the D1 level, he had to go from crawling to running and he did much better in the WVU game...

If he can motivate himself to learn and then excel within the GU system, then we as fans will be talking about him for many years to come...

JAGzag
04-08-2017, 08:29 AM
Rui returning to Japan this summer. Will compete for his National Team.

Once Rui understands the effort and fundamentals of defense, he will log serious mins.

His spacing is subpar and only understands some plays, but that just takes practice.

He was a liability on defense everytime on the court.

The kid has skills. Actually a better than advertised shooter. Once he decides to stay in Spokane all summer, & refine his all around game, he will make a significant jump.

Needs to work at staying conditioned & in shape too.

Good opportunity to play with his National Team, but won't that hurt his development with the team?

Zagdawg
04-08-2017, 11:05 AM
We recruit international guys with the understanding that they will probably support their countries team during the summer break ---it can be positive for them to get the extra playing time in --it can also be a challenge for their development in specific areas they need to target and improve upon in the off season. Hope that Rui is able to do both in the summer--support his team and also work on the areas he needs to work on (including his grasp on the English language)---worse case scenario his playing with the national team means he is a 3-4 year guy for us (which is ok by me).

MontanaCoyote
04-08-2017, 05:16 PM
We recruit international guys with the understanding that they will probably support their countries team during the summer break ---it can be positive for them to get the extra playing time in --it can also be a challenge for their development in specific areas they need to target and improve upon in the off season. Hope that Rui is able to do both in the summer--support his team and also work on the areas he needs to work on (including his grasp on the English language)---worse case scenario his playing with the national team means he is a 3-4 year guy for us (which is ok by me).

If Rui stays 2 or 3 seasons, he'll get compared to Baylor, Jordan, and others like them in the way he plays. Not saying that he'll match these players, just that you'll hear " He reminds me of the way Elgin Baylor played " Hey, that would be good enough.....and then some!

amaronizag
04-09-2017, 07:37 AM
I remain hopeful, but Rui has a long ways to go. At this point, he has Angel Nunez kind of athleticism, but whether he can harness all of that raw energy, and turn his potential into a well oiled machine, remains to be proven. I remain hopeful. He has flashes of brilliance and 3 more years to pull it all together.

Coach Crazy
04-09-2017, 07:46 AM
I remain hopeful, but Rui has a long ways to go. At this point, he has Angel Nunez kind of athleticism, but whether he can harness all of that raw energy, and turn his potential into a well oiled machine, remains to be proven. I remain hopeful. He has flashes of brilliance and 3 more years to pull it all together.

Wait, what? Rui's skill set is actually pretty developed. And I would say he is more athletic and physically developed than Angel was.

His obstacles are the language and the system. Everything can obviously improve, but everything else is already there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amaronizag
04-09-2017, 09:18 AM
Nunez could jump out of the gym, block shots, played pretty fair defense, and could take the ball to the hoop. He just couldn't fit into the offense and made some hair brained decisions. I'm hoping that language is the only thing preventing Rui from fitting into the system at this point. Too early for me to tell based on very limited minutes. Rui has some great moves, but early on in limited minutes, Gerard Coleman was also a crowd pleaser. As I said, I have high hopes for Rui, as I have had for all GU recruits.

MickMick
04-09-2017, 09:21 AM
Rui may get minutes, compile credible numbers, and be a significant contributer, but he will never realize a meteoric rise, like Olynyk did, unless he redshirts, like Olynyk did.

zagsfanforlife
04-09-2017, 09:24 AM
Rui may get minutes and be a significant contributer, but he will never realize a meteoric rise, like Olynyk, unless he redshirts, like Olynyk.

With many options at the 3 spot you would think that would be the most logical solution. Only problem is both guys competing for his 3 spot positions are Freshman, so Rui red shirts this year, is a Soph along w those guys and now there is a super logjam at the 3... unless you play CK and ZN at different positions. Agreed if rui took one year to continue working on his jumper and learning the language/ nuisances of an American defensive system he could be dominant

WallaWallaZag
04-09-2017, 09:38 AM
Rui may get minutes, compile credible numbers, and be a significant contributer, but he will never realize a meteoric rise, like Olynyk did, unless he redshirts, like Olynyk did.

disagree...you need a redshirt year if you are transforming your entire body & game...

rui doesn't need to do that...he just needs to pick up the system and refine his game...

Birddog
04-09-2017, 09:57 AM
I'm of the opinion that Rui has it all. He has speed, quickness, timing and good instincts. He can penetrate, shoot the mid range and score from 3. He can elevate and his shot mechanics look good to me. Reportedly, he missed a ton of early practices because of language issues. If he can be integrated into the flow early in practice he will be a force, again IMO. Not meaning to slight Nunez but I think he has far more skill already than Nunez had and certainly has a big upside. In the following clip watch him go coast coast at about the 3:30 mark. I'm excited about watching him next year, he'll be on Sports Center a few times I'll bet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqKBh3J4Xyg

GrizZAG
04-09-2017, 04:59 PM
That clip certainly shows us something to behold. Wow have we ever had that kind of athlete of size?

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2017, 05:39 PM
I'm of the opinion that Rui has it all. He has speed, quickness, timing and good instincts. He can penetrate, shoot the mid range and score from 3. He can elevate and his shot mechanics look good to me. Reportedly, he missed a ton of early practices because of language issues. If he can be integrated into the flow early in practice he will be a force, again IMO. Not meaning to slight Nunez but I think he has far more skill already than Nunez had and certainly has a big upside. In the following clip watch him go coast coast at about the 3:30 mark. I'm excited about watching him next year, he'll be on Sports Center a few times I'll bet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqKBh3J4Xyg

Holy cow, the drive and dunks at 2:53 and 3:32 are utterly ridiculous! This guys highlight reel is so impressive for someone who played so few minutes and doesn't even have a solid grasp of the English language yet. He's going to be so good in about two more years its going to be ridiculous.

Zagricultural
04-09-2017, 05:59 PM
I'm thinking next year we'll be just as good if Collins comes back, and a big part of that will be Rui

Birddog
04-09-2017, 06:18 PM
I failed to mention a couple other things. He can post up, has great body control, sees the angles, and has good handles for a guy his size. He also is a decent rim protector. I personally don't think we will be waiting past next season, this kid can hoop right now.He just needs some time to get integrated into the rotation.

hooter73
04-09-2017, 08:58 PM
I will say the best thing in the world is how fans get to say "Hey, remember when Rui made all your starters look like 9th graders at the end of every game his freshman year?"

:)

Bogozags
04-11-2017, 04:55 AM
Ok, I have consulted with the stars in the sky, using my slide rule and abacus and the facts are simple...he will have a great impact next ear AND large sums of money will be tossed in his direction...these are indisputable facts!

TexasZagFan
04-11-2017, 05:10 AM
Ok, I have consulted with the stars in the sky, using my slide rule and abacus and the facts are simple...he will have a great impact next ear AND large sums of money will be tossed in his direction...these are indisputable facts!

Slide rules are incorruptible...can't be hacked. Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin made it safely to the moon and back, in large part to computations produced by engineers and their slide rules.

Just my opinion, but the military's reliance on GPS is going to get a lot of people killed in the next war. In the old days, we got by with maps and compasses.

Bogozags
04-11-2017, 05:35 AM
Slide rules are incorruptible...can't be hacked. Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin made it safely to the moon and back, in large part to computations produced by engineers and their slide rules.

Just my opinion, but the military's reliance on GPS is going to get a lot of people killed in the next war. In the old days, we got by with maps and compasses.

I am just guessing but the slide rule for Neil and Buzz had to have been a pretty good size to have such precise computations...

Birddog
04-11-2017, 05:39 AM
I am just guessing but the slide rule for Neil and Buzz had to have been a pretty good size to have such precise computations...

Your reading comprehension is suspect.

amaronizag
04-11-2017, 07:45 AM
When I went to college we weren't allowed to use calculators during tests, we could only use slide rules. I preferred the circular ones and still have mine....somewhere .....(in a box of memorabilia, or a drawer??) It just took longer to solve the problems compared to using a calculator so there were fewer questions on the tests.

U Zig, I Zag
04-11-2017, 07:52 AM
Clearly Rui can play and clearly he has some elite athletic abilities. His shot form is good, he dribbles well for a taller guy, in his limited minutes he seemed to play under control. His biggest issue is probably the language barrier and understanding 'the game' and how GU wants him to play it. He looked a little lost out there at times. Athletically, he'll dominate the WCC players he matches up with, even if he isn't playing the game of basketball at the highest level (defense, spacing, running the sets, etc). He can probably torment a guy on D just with his length, on offense if he gets it onto the deck and has some spacing it'll take him two steps to get to the rim from the 3pt line inward.

Physically, he has the build, length and hops that make you a McD, AA and NBA player. He is just playing catch-up, getting used to the American collegiate game. To me, it said something that he got some run time in the tourney. The staff trusted him enough (and were betting on his athleticism) to do what they needed him to to.

I think he shows some good things at GU and I think he gets drafted at some point, probably based on potential (which is always the case, but perhaps Rui more so than others).

bartruff1
04-11-2017, 07:55 AM
When I went to college we weren't allowed to use calculators during tests, we could only use slide rules. I preferred the circular ones and still have mine....somewhere .....(in a box of memorabilia, or a drawer??) It just took longer to solve the problems compared to using a calculator so there were fewer questions on the tests.

When I went to college there were no calculators ....I still have my Pickett ......

TexasZagFan
04-11-2017, 08:18 AM
When I went to college there were no calculators ....I still have my Pickett ......

Wasn't until my sophomore year in 73-74 that the engineering students were using HP pocket calculators, which cost about $400 each back then. Calculators with similar power now retail between $5-$10.

bartruff1
04-11-2017, 08:23 AM
The first calculator I had ......I was at Oregon Institute of Technology (OIT).....it was a mechanical Curta , we called them coffee grinders. I wish I still had it...they are worth about $2000 ...

stevet75
04-11-2017, 09:15 AM
The first calculator I had ......I was at Oregon Institute of Technology (OIT).....it was a mechanical Curta , we called them coffee grinders. I wish I still had it...they are worth about $2000 ...

I remember those. They were a mechanical marvel, and could be good exercise for the right arm.

kitzbuel
04-11-2017, 09:42 AM

You also used muskets and bayonets. ;)

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

sittingon50
04-11-2017, 09:43 AM
When I was in school I impressed my comrades with how quickly I solved complex problems with my abacus.

TexasZagFan
04-11-2017, 09:47 AM
You also used muskets and bayonets. ;)

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

LOL, and I went without TV for over four years...VCR's were available in PX's in 78 or so, but the cost was prohibitive. I had a killer stereo system, though.

Zagceo
04-11-2017, 10:00 AM
LOL, and I went without TV for over four years...VCR's were available in PX's in 78 or so, but the cost was prohibitive. I had a killer stereo system, though.

Reel to Reel?

hooter73
04-11-2017, 10:04 AM
Ugg, the off season on this board is here again...

Clearly Rui can play and clearly he has some elite athletic abilities. His shot form is good, he dribbles well for a taller guy, in his limited minutes he seemed to play under control. His biggest issue is probably the language barrier and understanding 'the game' and how GU wants him to play it. He looked a little lost out there at times. Athletically, he'll dominate the WCC players he matches up with, even if he isn't playing the game of basketball at the highest level (defense, spacing, running the sets, etc). He can probably torment a guy on D just with his length, on offense if he gets it onto the deck and has some spacing it'll take him two steps to get to the rim from the 3pt line inward.

Physically, he has the build, length and hops that make you a McD, AA and NBA player. He is just playing catch-up, getting used to the American collegiate game. To me, it said something that he got some run time in the tourney. The staff trusted him enough (and were betting on his athleticism) to do what they needed him to to.

I think he shows some good things at GU and I think he gets drafted at some point, probably based on potential (which is always the case, but perhaps Rui more so than others).

Everyone keeps pointing to the minutes he got in the (WV ?) game, but that was out of pure desperation. Who else could Few have thrown in there that could have absorbed some fouls without it becoming an issue in the second half?

Obviously he can play, but so could Nunez, and Arop and Coleman and so many others who didn't get the time because of the system. I think, and am glad of it, that the jury is still out on what Rui will end up being. I for one am a big proponent of staying around for the summer, but I guess we'll see what he grasps and accepts come next year.

I get him not wanting to come here from so far away and redshirt his first year but to me it was a total waste of eligibility.

If he can learn to play team ball here will be the only way he gets a lot of playing time. The days of "give the ball to XXX and watch what he does" are long gone at this program. Even Wiltjer had to play within the system instead of just fast break for a pull up three every time down. Not to say that wouldnt have worked lol. Just dont know, my only prediction is that the Rui conundrum will be a often debated one for the length of his stay here.

TexasZagFan
04-11-2017, 10:12 AM
Reel to Reel?

Cassette. I was tempted to buy a reel to reel, but I was too busy mixing my own tapes. I was buying a dozen albums a month, came back with over 400, where they're now sitting in the garage. The way things are going, we'll be on American Hoarders next year.

Zagceo
04-11-2017, 10:21 AM
My neighbor bought 20 crates of jazz Albums from NYC last year.....shipping more cost more than Albums.

bigblahla
04-11-2017, 11:53 AM
When I was in school I impressed my comrades with how quickly I solved complex problems with my abacus.

Hey "50" since when did you start calling fingers and toes an abacus ;)

Go!! Zags!!!

U Zig, I Zag
04-11-2017, 11:54 AM
Ugg, the off season on this board is here again...

Everyone keeps pointing to the minutes he got in the (WV ?) game, but that was out of pure desperation. Who else could Few have thrown in there that could have absorbed some fouls without it becoming an issue in the second half?

Obviously he can play, but so could Nunez, and Arop and Coleman and so many others who didn't get the time because of the system. I think, and am glad of it, that the jury is still out on what Rui will end up being. I for one am a big proponent of staying around for the summer, but I guess we'll see what he grasps and accepts come next year.

I get him not wanting to come here from so far away and redshirt his first year but to me it was a total waste of eligibility.

If he can learn to play team ball here will be the only way he gets a lot of playing time. The days of "give the ball to XXX and watch what he does" are long gone at this program. Even Wiltjer had to play within the system instead of just fast break for a pull up three every time down. Not to say that wouldnt have worked lol. Just dont know, my only prediction is that the Rui conundrum will be a often debated one for the length of his stay here.

I wasn't saying that Few and Co will just give the ball to a guy and let him go to work (though that's what we do an awful lot - guys working the block, NWG attacking the rim). What I see Rui being able to do is provide the athleticism and length that we often don't have. And not that we haven't had or won't have both in the future with other players. But Rui hopefully will be able to provide some bounce and athleticism, attack the rim and be the first at the rebound if it's a miss, etc. He seems to have good handles from what I witnessed (Angel and others really didn't).

He may be a unicorn that we never fully see, like many other players that showed up and didn't become what everyone is hoping. It does come down to playing his part in the team game though.

These threads and conversations always end up the same though... years later someone brings it back up and it's always, 'See what I mean!'. It'll just take a couple years to figure out who will be right.

hooter73
04-11-2017, 03:03 PM
I think my biggest hope with him is to see Micha Downs type contributions. I think thats doable given his size and natural skill set.

seacatfan
04-11-2017, 03:50 PM
I think my biggest hope with him is to see Micha Downs type contributions. I think thats doable given his size and natural skill set.

I'd hope for more than that. Downs was a utility guy, basically a taller and more athletic Pendo. Seemed like he should've been so much more than that.

bigblahla
04-11-2017, 04:12 PM
I'd hope for more than that. Downs was a utility guy, basically a taller and more athletic Pendo. Seemed like he should've been so much more than that.

Cause his damn leash was to tight....MVP of the WCC tournament...never utilized...never had plays run for him....it's on the staff not the player....

Go!! Zags!!!

seacatfan
04-11-2017, 04:16 PM
Cause his damn leash was to tight....MVP of the WCC tournamnet...never utilized...never had plays run for him....it's on the staff not the player....

Go!! Zags!!!

I didn't say it, but I was thinking something along that track. One of several players over the years at GU that was not utilized very well.

23dpg
04-11-2017, 04:30 PM
You guys ever see Micah play in HS? A gunner by gunner standards. Seriously, took shots out of the flow of the offense from 25 feet. Maybe he needed more harnessing than unleashing.

Birddog
04-11-2017, 05:08 PM
I hope this tune goes through your head 2 or 3 times a game next year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIbYCOiETx0

MontanaCoyote
04-11-2017, 06:57 PM

High school grad 1960. All I remember about slide rules is that the smart kids had them and carried them just about every where they went. Wasn't smart, didn't carry one, don't know where they went.

jazzdelmar
04-11-2017, 11:22 PM
I didn't say it, but I was thinking something along that track. One of several players over the years at GU that was not utilized very well.

The list just got longer today.

Zagceo
04-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Agree. Work ethic is ingrained in Japanese culture to an extreme degree. Rui is gonna be a star; just a question of when.

I hope its NOT in this off season in Japan....OK I said it

Markburn1
04-12-2017, 07:19 PM
The list just got longer today.

Yeah. Cause getting to the National Championship game and winning thirty seven games this year is indicative of Few and the staff screwing up the rotations and putting players in positions that limited their growth. Sheesh. Hard to understand what kind of results are needed to acknowledge the staff knows what they are doing.

tyra
04-12-2017, 09:39 PM
Of all the players on our roster, I think Rui may be the most prototypically NBA--like. I think he is as phenomenal a natural athlete as we have had. Soooo, if he does come along next year (learning the language and the system and getting minutes and shining some), does he start making draft lists? Is there a chance we only get one real year with Rui?

TexasZagFan
04-13-2017, 04:58 AM
Yeah. Cause getting to the National Championship game and winning thirty seven games this year is indicative of Few and the staff screwing up the rotations and putting players in positions that limited their growth. Sheesh. Hard to understand what kind of results are needed to acknowledge the staff knows what they are doing.

No doubt in my mind that Mark Few is a much better coach now than he was five years ago. It's obvious he's not stuck in his ways, as evidenced by the planned foul on SC in the last five seconds (and his end of game work against ISU). I think he's always be comfortable in his own skin, it's just become more evident as the level of talent has increased.