PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Rem for everything you brought to this program

basketballzag
04-04-2017, 07:06 PM
I don't think we have a single player who contributed more to the success of this program over the last few years than Rem. He was the glue guy off the court who made things Gel on the court and he will be missed greatly. He is as important to the program as Shem, NWG, J3, Matthews, and Collins this year and his leadership won't be easy to replace.

allnet59
04-04-2017, 07:13 PM
Every team needs a glue guy... Rem was the ultimate one for his teammates. Once a Zag always a Zag....

JPtheBeasta
04-04-2017, 09:19 PM
The personal interest piece with him discussing the handshakes is all-time Zag fan-dork stuff. Naturally, I really enjoyed that. His sense of humor in his tweets and such is something I will always remember about him. He's a cool cat.

kitzbuel
04-05-2017, 01:43 AM
He really has become an institution at GU. His humor was invaluable to the team as a stress reliever. It was so obvious that's he was a key architect of the camaraderie that was central to his teams' successes. He is going to be hard to replace.

gu03alum
04-05-2017, 05:38 AM
Thank you Rem! You will be missed.

MontanaCoyote
04-05-2017, 08:26 AM
Thank you Rem! You will be missed.

Shem's Sidekick, Gonzaga's Glue Guy. Not to be forgotten!

gonzagafan62
04-05-2017, 09:31 AM
The personal interest piece with him discussing the handshakes is all-time Zag fan-dork stuff. Naturally, I really enjoyed that. His sense of humor in his tweets and such is something I will always remember about him. He's a cool cat.

"Kyle wiltjer and Rem Backamus combine for 45 as Gonzaga defeat Pacific" that tweet will always stick with me. Wiltjer scored 45.... and it wasn't on directv.... had to drive 15 miles (right before tip mind you) to go and watch the game on a lap top

Billfish'80
04-05-2017, 10:12 AM
Rem is one of those walk-ons that goes down in GU lore. He's in Good company, as there have been so many walk-ons that have meant as much, or more, to GU fans and teammates as the scholarship players. I don't know if there is anywhere else that walk-ons play such a role. Usually they are just there in the background, and few people even know who they are. Not at GU!
Rem has a special place in our families hearts because of a chance encounter my kids had with him the summer after his freshman year. They were both working at an event (a wedding) at a facility just outside of Coeur d'Alene that summer and my daughter thought this one guy looked like Rem, but he had grown his hair out long, so she wasn't sure. After a while, she just asked him if his name was Rem. He looked surprised to be recognized, but said that was him. He introduced his dad, Bill, :) and she found time to introduce them to her brother who was also working the event. They greeted each other repeatedly throughout the evening, as things became ever more "festive". They all became facebook friends and Rem offered to find them some tickets sometime the following year. Not thinking that was a real possibility, they just let it go. That next October we happened to park ourselves right under the basket (the slam dunk contest end!) at the next Kraziness, and during warm-ups my son yelled out to rem as he ran by. Rem actually stopped and came over, high-fived him, and asked how he was doing. He said he remembered the tickets, and would try to contact him sometime when he had some available. I think it was the Portland home game that year that Rem contacted him with 2 tickets, but it just didnt' work out to make it, so Rem tried another game as well, just too much going on at home for them to make either on short notice, so still couldn't make it! :explode: The thing is, he remembered them, among all the people he meets, and followed through on his promise to complete strangers, twice! Rem is just one of those one in a million friendly people that make the rest of us smile. Love the kid!!!

Virginia Zags Fan
04-05-2017, 05:57 PM
Thanks Rem!! Your radio interviews still crack me up.