PDA

View Full Version : I woke up this morning to...

TexasZagFan
04-04-2017, 05:09 AM
Mike & Mike spending the first 90 minutes on the poor/uneven officiating last night. I also noticed how the internet and twitter exploded over the officiating.

Tears were flowing at our table at 54th Street, it was a rough scene. As I sat there, I could only think that we had our chances, we just didn't take advantage. For example, that stretch in the first half where we had taken it to a 7 point lead. A couple of stops, and two consecutive open 3 pointers didn't fall. That let the Heels catch their breath, just when we were on the cusp of breaking out to a 13 point lead.

As soon as I got home, I erased the game from the DVR. I'm not going to read the game thread, either. There were no goats in the game, our guys played their hearts out. These young men gave us so much to be happy about this year, and took the program to new heights. I'm not going to turn my back to them now. I told my family the best days of Gonzaga basketball are ahead, though I'm not going to fall into the trap of expecting deep runs in the Dance from here on out.

I got up a bit later than usual, gave me a chance to pass on some fatherly advice to my son, who loves the Zags as much as any fan. He's been with me on some really tough trips to venues such as Memphis and Wichita. I told him he can vent today, but that's where it ends. Life isn't fair, but we had our chances last night. Starting Wednesday, we're looking ahead to next season...and he's got a lot of work himself if he wants to play on the JV team next year.

hooter73
04-04-2017, 07:21 AM
Honestly my positive takeaway from all the commentators is that they are all talking about either gu or the officiating, not the winner of the national championship game. Interesting.

TexasZagFan
04-04-2017, 07:26 AM
Honestly my positive takeaway from all the commentators is that they are all talking about either gu or the officiating, not the winner of the national championship game. Interesting.

According to Vegas, we're top 5 already at 12-1...lol.

I now have a full year to design the tattoo I'll sport when we win the whole enchilada. I had forgotten about it, until we arrived at our venue last night.

Like I said, on Mike & Mike this morning, the refs were the major topic. I'm glad I erased the DVR, what good would it do to replay the game when it would change nothing?

Zags11
04-04-2017, 08:26 AM
All over its about how the reffing killed the title game. How it made the game ugly and sloppy with zero rhythm. This game reminded me a lot of Pitt vs hawks in SB 40.

Disgrace that the world saw two teams in foul trouble. Well, mainly our big time players.

Reborn
04-04-2017, 08:54 AM
Losing Collins with so much time left, just killed the Zags. Any honest person would agree that the reffing was horrible, and did ruin the game. Because The Zags got in so much foul trouble the first half, it was very difficult for them to play the kind of defense that they played for most of the first half. And Collins picks up his third just maybe one minute into the second half. He played very limited minutes in the second half, and he has become, by far, our best inside player. When the refs gave both Karnowski and Collins personal fouls for setting illegal screens, that really hurt. There are only 5 fouls a player gets and to have one called that way was horrible. It was going to be very very rough to beat Carolina without Collins. Honestly, I do believe there was no way that those refs were going to let Gonzaga win that game. And as long as I'm talking about refs, I thought that Gonzaga got horrible reffing for most of their games. Somehow we pulled the others out.

Go Zags!!!

Ezag
04-04-2017, 08:56 AM
I am a firm believer if we had Collins the last 6 minutes, we would have won. I am not the least bit upset with our team but the officiating really killed this game for both teams

TexasZagFan
04-04-2017, 09:06 AM
Losing Collins with so much time left, just killed the Zags. Any honest person would agree that the reffing was horrible, and did ruin the game. Because The Zags got in so much foul trouble the first half, it was very difficult for them to play the kind of defense that they played for most of the first half. And Collins picks up his third just maybe one minute into the second half. He played very limited minutes in the second half, and he has become, by far, our best inside player. When the refs gave both Karnowski and Collins personal fouls for setting illegal screens, that really hurt. There are only 5 fouls a player gets and to have one called that way was horrible. It was going to be very very rough to beat Carolina without Collins. Honestly, I do believe there was no way that those refs were going to let Gonzaga win that game. And as long as I'm talking about refs, I thought that Gonzaga got horrible reffing for most of their games. Somehow we pulled the others out.

Go Zags!!!

Not only that, but those fouls contributed to the deficit in shots attempted in the second half.

MontanaCoyote
04-04-2017, 09:07 AM
P
Mike & Mike spending the first 90 minutes on the poor/uneven officiating last night. I also noticed how the internet and twitter exploded over the officiating.

Tears were flowing at our table at 54th Street, it was a rough scene. As I sat there, I could only think that we had our chances, we just didn't take advantage. For example, that stretch in the first half where we had taken it to a 7 point lead. A couple of stops, and two consecutive open 3 pointers didn't fall. That let the Heels catch their breath, just when we were on the cusp of breaking out to a 13 point lead.

As soon as I got home, I erased the game from the DVR. I'm not going to read the game thread, either. There were no goats in the game, our guys played their hearts out. These young men gave us so much to be happy about this year, and took the program to new heights. I'm not going to turn my back to them now. I told my family the best days of Gonzaga basketball are ahead, though I'm not going to fall into the trap of expecting deep runs in the Dance from here on out.

I got up a bit later than usual, gave me a chance to pass on some fatherly advice to my son, who loves the Zags as much as any fan. He's been with me on some really tough trips to venues such as Memphis and Wichita. I told him he can vent today, but that's where it ends. Life isn't fair, but we had our chances last night. Starting Wednesday, we're looking ahead to next season...and he's got a lot of work himself if he wants to play on the JV team next year.

Very nice post. Thank You!

scrooner
04-04-2017, 09:47 AM
We needed to be 10 points better than them to compete 5 v 8.

sylean
04-04-2017, 01:52 PM
it was a lousy game....a debacle for college BB....our games against WV and Xavier and South Carolina were fantastic......it was the officiating and it was the hype....too bad the country didn't get to see the best team win....because the Zags are the best team...

Mantua
04-04-2017, 06:24 PM
What a great OP, Texas! I have been avoiding sports media. I'm glad to hear that the Zags are well regarded in some corners. My son told me that some of the media has been brutal. I figure that I'll just deal with the negativity when it resurfaces at the start of the next season. For now, I'd rather continue celebrating this team and this season.

Tar Heel Jumpmaster
04-04-2017, 10:16 PM
I distinctly remember in last year's title game that I'd be pissed as a Nova fan because everyone is going to be talking about the crappy officiating (two of the same refs did this year's game) and not Nova, if they win the title. Well, the 10-point comeback and spectacular finish changed the narrative, but the issue with officiating in the NCAA remains. I think the nature of the title game itself lends itself to poor officiating. Both teams a little tired, a little emotionally drained, and a little tight/nervous. Zags were a great defensive team this year, and UNC became a great defensive team in the tournament - so that limited some of the "flow" that comes with a back and forth offensive battle. But the nonstop fouls, difficulty figuring out what the refs considered physical play and what they considered a foul.. really detracted from the game. it was ... fits and starts. no flow. No real feeling of which team was really more deserving.

You can say it comes down to which team makes shots, but there's no denying the stripes left their stamp on the final product.

MDABE80
04-04-2017, 10:26 PM
Excellent post Tar Heel! Super summary. Embodies the whole mess. For the first time in years. I know who ended the game ahead but couldn't tell who was the better team. Chitty way to end a season.... mostly due to the refs.

Zagceo
04-04-2017, 10:37 PM
it was a lousy game....a debacle for college BB....our games against WV and Xavier and South Carolina were fantastic......it was the officiating and it was the hype....too bad the country didn't get to see the best team win....because the Zags are the best team...

WV was not fantastic.....52 fouls and every bit as ugly as UNC second half....bad calls against both teams.....

ProVeeZag
04-04-2017, 11:03 PM
If anyone has a comment or suggestion regarding NCAA officials, here's the man to direct it to:

J.D. Collins
E-mail: jdcollins@ncaa.org

Here's a link to the website where I found this info.

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/playing-rules/coordinators-officials-roster

CanadianZagsFan
04-05-2017, 12:51 AM
According to Vegas, we're top 5 already at 12-1...lol.

I now have a full year to design the tattoo I'll sport when we win the whole enchilada. I had forgotten about it, until we arrived at our venue last night.

Like I said, on Mike & Mike this morning, the refs were the major topic. I'm glad I erased the DVR, what good would it do to replay the game when it would change nothing?

Oh I'll review it again likely at some point. The masochist/coach in me. I'm not upset about it like others maybe, didn't want a blowout via a blue blood ugh would've never lived that down.

The Collins 2-3 fouls will likely bother me but I'll review it all fresh again eventually.

TexasZagFan
04-05-2017, 04:35 AM
Do the NCAA brass realize the opportunity lost? In front of over 75,000 people and a national TV audience, they had two of the best offensive teams in the country playing for the title. It would have surprised only a few if the final score had been 99-98, with both teams running and gunning up and down the court for 40 minutes. It would have been a game for the ages.

Instead, the major topic of discussion was the officiating. In North Texas, it was even worse, as the focus all damn day was on Tony Romo going to work for CBS. In a metropolitan area of nearly 7 million people, we had three college basketball programs that were deserving of attention during the season: TCU, SMU, and UT-Arlington. But nooooo, it's all about the Cowboys and Tony Romo. :argh:

CanadianZagsFan
04-06-2017, 02:18 AM
Do the NCAA brass realize the opportunity lost? In front of over 75,000 people and a national TV audience, they had two of the best offensive teams in the country playing for the title. It would have surprised only a few if the final score had been 99-98, with both teams running and gunning up and down the court for 40 minutes. It would have been a game for the ages.

Instead, the major topic of discussion was the officiating. In North Texas, it was even worse, as the focus all damn day was on Tony Romo going to work for CBS. In a metropolitan area of nearly 7 million people, we had three college basketball programs that were deserving of attention during the season: TCU, SMU, and UT-Arlington. But nooooo, it's all about the Cowboys and Tony Romo. :argh:

I'm huge Romo-Cowboys/Zags fan sooooo ha. But, the news about both could've been better on Tuesday morning but could've been a lot WORSE too (Romo to Denver, Zags get blown out by blue blood team). My level of anger is just different. Maybe chance never comes again but proved 90-95% doubters wrong in the end anyways. Rui, Norvell and who knows who else awaits us in the future!

gonzagafan62
04-06-2017, 07:17 AM
I'm huge Romo-Cowboys/Zags fan sooooo ha. But, the news about both could've been better on Tuesday morning but could've been a lot WORSE too (Romo to Denver, Zags get blown out by blue blood team). My level of anger is just different. Maybe chance never comes again but proved 90-95% doubters wrong in the end anyways. Rui, Norvell and who knows who else awaits us in the future!

I'm a huge cowboys fan. See no romo haha. Honestly I'm glad the fiasco is done, and we can move on..... Texas is all about football. The other sports don't exist. My grandmother keeps telling me this all the time. It's become normal to me.

TexasZagFan
04-06-2017, 07:59 AM
I'm a huge cowboys fan. See no romo haha. Honestly I'm glad the fiasco is done, and we can move on..... Texas is all about football. The other sports don't exist. My grandmother keeps telling me this all the time. It's become normal to me.

High school football keeps me entertained until hoops season rolls around. DFW is one of the best areas in the nation for "Friday Night Lights."

CanadianZagsFan
04-06-2017, 09:45 AM
High school football keeps me entertained until hoops season rolls around. DFW is one of the best areas in the nation for "Friday Night Lights."

Don't even mention Texas HS football to me, so jealous. A bucket list trip for me up there with Masters, Final Four etc. Just to sit in those cafes, drop into barber shop, local general store. It'd be experience for sure and culture shock for me ,but I'd be expecting it. I'm not into College FB, too much other sports during that time of year.

TexasZagFan
04-06-2017, 11:34 AM
Don't even mention Texas HS football to me, so jealous. A bucket list trip for me up there with Masters, Final Four etc. Just to sit in those cafes, drop into barber shop, local general store. It'd be experience for sure and culture shock for me ,but I'd be expecting it. I'm not into College FB, too much other sports during that time of year.

Tell ya what...make a trip down here for the first or second week of the playoffs. We'll head over to Jerry World and buy $12 tickets for the entire day...4 games, 12-14 hours. We'll sit in comfy seats that people had to pay thousands in PSL money, plus another $500+ per game. Second week is the best IMO, too many blowouts in the first round.

It's awesome...

I'd be up for a road trip during the season, mosey on up to Amarillo on US 287, ton of small towns along the way. Might even head toward NM, stop at the Midpoint Café in Adrian. It's the exact midway point on old Route 66 between Chicago and Santa Monica. The café received a credit in the Disney movie "Cars", Flo's café was derived from the Midpoint.