PDA

View Full Version : Much respect, from a Tar Heel

Tar Heel Jumpmaster
04-04-2017, 03:48 AM
Prior to the Championship I thought there was one clear winner throughout March Madness 2017 - Frank Martin. I think now it's a tie (at least) with the class and dignity shown by Coach Few and the Zags.

Believe me, I know the hurt that comes with an annoyingly-officiated game. Last year we felt the game turned on 8 straight fouls called against UNC. We knew what we were in for with these referees and that, perhaps, was an experience edge for our team. Whichever team lost, they'd be disappointed in the over officiating, although it was a tough game to call. I think we both wanted to see two powerhouses go at it and there was never, ever, a "flow" to the game and that's unfortunate.

You're board has conducted themselves with much more dignity than I think ours would've. But I think you have earned a plethora of new Zags fans - when you're not playing UNC, of course!

These posts are generally supposed to be short, but I thought I'd share my impressions of the game:

Joel Berry woke Sunday and was walking on his ankles with no soreness. That was huge. By comparison I believe Goss had ankle soreness. Edge Heels.
Karno picked an unfortunate time to miss some tough shots that I'm sure you're accustomed to seeing fall through the net.
The officiating was somewhat haphazard which eventually led to some tentativeness on the part of your bigs. Unfortunately, our team is quite used to dealing with such nonsense. Edge Heels.
I'd be interested in your take as to how you kept a lid on Jackson from 3. If you told me Berry would show up and our bigs would be equal to yours I'd have bet on a easy win. Knowing the statistics but not the final score, I'd have bet Gonzaga wins big. I was confident in our ability to limit some of your shooters with our length on defense.. but honestly both teams were missing 3s they normally make. I think Gonzaga got the worst of it. you're shooting against SC scared the hell out of me.
J3 really worried me but he never seemed to take advantage. I wished JJax would have been able to do more inside the arc, a la PJ Dozier from SC.
We were winning at the half last year and Nova came out more aggressive to start the 2nd - a lesson we learned well. Edge Heels. Plus we have been driven to get back to this moment for a full year.
I'm curious as to why you guys think your inside-out passing wasn't what it normally is. Also, I wonder if all the whistles and foul trouble caused your bigs to be a smidge more tentative on screens than they're used to.
It does look like they missed Meeks touching the out of bounds line. But they also missed a Gonzaga player with foot over the inbounds line after a made basket - and Theo did not get a hand on that airball. Have to believe the Flagrant 1 was a make-up call after viewing Berry's clean steal on review.
The Free Throw shooting, ma GAWD.

Your team was equally deserving of a championship - I hope you get one soon. The kenpom adjusted stats were definitely legit and if anyone considered Gonzage a mid-major still, that's over. I think it'd be cool to have rematch scrimmage just to see these two teams go at it with some flow to the game.

I definitely believe that had anyone besides UNC made it to the final game -and we barely made it there - you'd be bringing home a trophy.

Tar Heel Jumpmaster
04-04-2017, 03:54 AM
Oh, and the idiot Seth Davis picking against us every doggone game for years didn't hurt. I think he is our lucky rabbit's foot. He picks UNC and the Zags win in a blowout.

JPtheBeasta
04-04-2017, 05:58 AM
You started out well but I could have lived without the self-aggrandizing "If you played anyone else but my team you would have won" nonsense. Congrats on the win. Thanks for trying to say something nice.

thespywhozaggedme
04-04-2017, 05:58 AM
Meeks was out of bounds

zagcheer78
04-04-2017, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the post. I too would love to see our teams meet again, with a different outcome of course:D

TexasZagFan
04-04-2017, 06:20 AM
You started out well but I could have lived without the self-aggrandizing "If you played anyone else but my team you would have won" nonsense. Congrats on the win. Thanks for trying to say something nice.

Good thing none of us mentioned their academic scandal...oops! :rolleyes:

Let's not forget that Coach Roy was there for the last ten years of the misdeeds, all the while claiming ignorance. I doubt the NCAA will vacate any of those wins, like they did to Boeheim or Calipari. There won't be any penalties, no matter how egregious the misdeeds, and they number in the thousands. UNC is untouchable, compared to the rank and file of NCAA member institutions.

hooter73
04-04-2017, 07:18 AM
Don't let a few morning afters get to ya, I appreciate your post and think it was spot on. Hard fought game when neither team was really excelling. Congrats on the win and here is hoping for a future match up.

CdAZagFan
04-04-2017, 07:25 AM
We had mucked our way through a few other games similar in flow to this game... so I was hopeful. NC just made baskets and plays when they had to - hats off to them.

kitzbuel
04-04-2017, 07:25 AM
Much expected grumpiness here. I just really wish the refs could have let the game flow if just purely for entertainment's sake.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

JPtheBeasta
04-04-2017, 08:13 AM
Much expected grumpiness here. I just really wish the refs could have let the game flow if just purely for entertainment's sake.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Probably so, on the grumpiness front.

Jumpmaster, I'm sure you are wonderful person. Thanks for taking the time to post.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-04-2017, 08:51 AM
A fair, rational, well thought out post. Can't argue with a single word of what you said.

Thank you for stopping by, and congratulations. Let's do it again in 365 days.

MontanaCoyote
04-04-2017, 10:16 AM

Let's not forget that Coach Roy was there for the last ten years of the misdeeds, all the while claiming ignorance. I doubt the NCAA will vacate any of those wins, like they did to Boeheim or Calipari. There won't be any penalties, no matter how egregious the misdeeds, and they number in the thousands. UNC is untouchable, compared to the rank and file of NCAA member institutions.

As long as we don't hold it against the kids themselves.

john montana
04-04-2017, 10:25 AM

This. Dirty program.

CDC84
04-04-2017, 11:22 AM
Oh, and the idiot Seth Davis picking against us every doggone game for years didn't hurt. I think he is our lucky rabbit's foot. He picks UNC and the Zags win in a blowout.

Seth's a Dukie

Tar Heel Jumpmaster
04-04-2017, 09:39 PM

Didn't intent for it to be self-aggrandizing. Just that Gonzaga was legit and certainly deserving of a championship. And that I believe your offensive and defensive rankings were well-earned. So I honestly believe you beat any other team, with the obvious caveat that it's March Madness and some player can always go off for a bazillion points and sink your squad.

If UNC lost the game - and they could have - I'd have been upset at the 2nd half officiating. It's a crummy way to end the season. This wasn't the most dominant Carolina Team, so it wouldn't have been the end of the world to lose to a talented and classy Gonzaga team.

Not like 1998 Heels vs. Utah... ugg.

If Collins stays, and even NWG, it looks like Gonzaga might be right back next year. Good luck.

GrizZAG
04-05-2017, 04:36 AM
A fair, rational, well thought out post. Can't argue with a single word of what you said.

Thank you for stopping by, and congratulations. Let's do it again in 365 days.

Thank you for a rational response. Most of the level heads from this board aren't posting yet but still getting home apparently. NC poster sent a fair and very good post. We played poorly in the second half plain and simple. NC athleticism threw Karno off his game. Fans have nothing to do with corruption a program may commit. Give the guy a break his post was gracious.

TexasZagFan
04-05-2017, 04:45 AM
Thank you for a rational response. Most of the level heads from this board aren't posting yet but still getting home apparently. NC poster sent a fair and very good post. We played poorly in the second half plain and simple. NC athleticism threw Karno off his game. Fans have nothing to do with corruption a program may commit. Give the guy a break his post was gracious.

Good points, Griz. There are very few teams in college hoops that have the size, length, and athleticism to match UNC. We had our chances, and came up 90 seconds short.

GrizZAG
04-05-2017, 04:57 AM
Anyone catch Roy Williams comment? "I told my team to win this in the last three minutes and they did just that"
Mentally that is a powerful message. Can't argue with his knowledge of how to win big games.