PDA

View Full Version : Seriously wondering who the better team is

Murphy outgo lifer
04-03-2017, 08:15 PM
I personally think that these are the two best teams in the country. I was really looking forward to seeing if we were better.

The refs completely took both teams out of their rhythms and changed what each team likes to do. I think it was called equally bad. North Carolina hit big shots down the stretch to win it and that's what they needed to do. This game was completely altered.

I can live with us losing to a better team and I can accept us having a bad game and losing to a worse team. I am struggling with losing because the refs are objectively bad. How do you call a national title game like that?

Who is the better team?????

This one hurts....

zagsfanforlife
04-03-2017, 08:27 PM
Give credit to UNC. Were down 7, came back. Brought the fire to start the second half. We didn't. Anytime we closed it to 2, or tied it, UNC would score or hit a big shot. Nigel hits big 3, we go up one, Berry nails a 3. The experience of being in the finals last year helped.

MDABE80
04-03-2017, 08:29 PM
Can't tell from this game. Refs, cold shooting by both teams......just can't tell who would win in best of 5. Thi game proved a trophy had to be given to somebody. Horrible gam on both sides. Worst title game I've seen in at least a decade.

ZagDaddy
04-03-2017, 08:31 PM
I personally think that these are the two best teams in the country. I was really looking forward to seeing if we were better.

The refs completely took both teams out of their rhythms and changed what each team likes to do. I think it was called equally bad. North Carolina hit big shots down the stretch to win it and that's what they needed to do. This game was completely altered.

I can live with us losing to a better team and I can accept us having a bad game and losing to a worse team. I am struggling with losing because the refs are objectively bad. How do you call a national title game like that?

Who is the better team?????

This one hurts....

This is where I'm at. My gripe isn't a bad call here and there, it's that the refs destroyed the flow of the game. They called the game differently in both halves, frustrating players on both sides and we as fans were denied a chance to see which team was actually better. The only thing I know is who survived an official dominated second half. The NCAA needs to understand that the world was tuned in to watch the 2 best teams in the country play each other and the officials denied the fans that opportunity. Let the players play.

MJ777
04-03-2017, 08:32 PM
Can't tell from this game. Refs, cold shooting by both teams......just can't tell who would win in best of 5. Thi game proved a trophy had to be given to somebody. Horrible gam on both sides. Worst title game I've seen in at least a decade.

Worse tha Butler and I can't remember who the other team was... ?

zag944
04-03-2017, 08:32 PM
part of being great is winning the occasional poopfest. UNC did it today

sylean
04-03-2017, 08:33 PM
they took our three bigs out of the game......of course UNC hit some shots towards the end...Collins was sitting on the bench and Karno and Williams had to play ever so carefully.....the refs took our guys out of their game.....period....

CdAZagFan
04-03-2017, 08:39 PM
I thought this was a lot like the WV game... and these guys battled through that. Was hoping they could do here also. NC did make the plays every time they needed to - so give them credit. But it does hurt, because I believe if the refs just take a step back a little bit, that our guys win this game.

VinnyZag
04-03-2017, 08:45 PM
Carolina's defense in the second half was pretty spectacular. Other than Collins and NWG for a 3 minute stretch or so, nobody from GU could get anything going (granted, Karno just had some bad luck, too). I'm actually pretty confident that the (slightly) better team won tonight.

Bowser
04-03-2017, 08:50 PM
I made a bet with a buddy that gu's front line would be in foul trouble early in 2H. LOL.

And yes, both teams got the short end from the refs. But name the player on NC who got the Zach Collins treatment. I don't think you can easily find one.

Likewise its not only how many fouls you get called for, its also at what point in the game they are called. If early and concentrated on several players, that changes the game strategy.

This happens all to frequently and has happened for a long time. In the GU UConn game in 99, their starting guard got three quick ones in the first half. In the Nevada GU game, Turiaf was on the bench with three before midpoint in the first half. In Saturdays UNC Oregon game, the Oregon starting guard was whistled early for three fouls. Hey, if you foul you foul. But the pinky fouls on one team and no call for hammering on the other end is complete and utter bull####.

Birddog
04-03-2017, 08:56 PM
I made a bet with a buddy that gu's front line would be in foul trouble early in 2H. LOL.

And yes, both teams got the short end from the refs. But name the player on NC who got the Zach Collins treatment. I don't think you can easily find one.

Likewise its not only how many fouls you get called for, its also at what point in the game they are called. If early and concentrated on several players, that changes the game strategy.

This happens all to frequently and has happened for a long time. In the GU UConn game in 99, their starting guard got three quick ones in the first half. In the Nevada GU game, Turiaf was on the bench with three before midpoint in the first half. In Saturdays UNC Oregon game, the Oregon starting guard was whistled early for three fouls. Hey, if you foul you foul. But the pinky fouls on one team and no call for hammering on the other end is complete and utter bull####.

Why couldn't you be this lucid in the deposition you gave when Snap-Co was going all titanic?

Bowser
04-03-2017, 09:03 PM
Sniffing glue with the Western Kentucky guy the night before after we ditched the kid from Akron.

seacatfan
04-03-2017, 09:08 PM

Both times Butler made the Title Game were pretty ugly, especially against UConn. I'd say that's the worst Championship Game I've ever seen. 53-41 final score. Those were both less than a decade ago.

ProVeeZag
04-03-2017, 10:03 PM

Great post Bowser! Depending on the game, officiating crews can be one-sided, inconsistent, or just plain incompetent. Tonight I think it's fair to see they were all three. Zags did not play up to their usual standards, but neither did 'Heels. This game was quite the "cluster-#&%$".

Zagdawg
04-04-2017, 05:46 AM
It makes sense that we get the opportunity to see UNC again in PK80 in November -- I expect whoever is seeding for that tournament to put both of us together for a rematch.