PDA

View Full Version : The Sour Grapes Thread

strikenowhere
04-03-2017, 07:57 PM
I'm not complaining about the team; this was probably the greatest team the Zags have ever had assembled and they did an amazing, wondrous thing reaching their first final 4 & championship game. I have more of an existential complaint - it seems like the basketball gods deigned yet again that another non-P5 school must be denied a championship. I cannot believe the number of close-in shots that just bounced around & out, or stupid slippery spots on the floor, etc. that happened in this game. It felt like the Zags were fighting not only North Carolina but also an invisible hand. I remember feeling this way when Butler got to back-to-back championship games only to lose as well. Leave it to the basketball gods to allow a school that should be getting hammered for an institutional lack of control to win yet another championship over a school that has done everything right to reach where it is today.

Yay I got that off my chest; on to next season!

MJ777
04-03-2017, 07:59 PM
The refs ruined what could have been a great game. Instead they turned it into Foulapalooza.

LongIslandZagFan
04-03-2017, 08:01 PM
Shem AND NWG were off... Refs tried hard to make sure Zags stayed down... and they persisted... were in it almost to the end. Very proud of this team. MWG/Zach... .come back... redeem this loss.

strikenowhere
04-03-2017, 08:02 PM
Shem AND NWG were off... Refs tried hard to make sure Zags stayed down... and they persisted... were in it almost to the end. Very proud of this team. MWG/Zach... .come back... redeem this loss.

That's my hope too, but I can see them leaving as well (although Collins moreso than NWG).

CarolinaZagFan
04-03-2017, 08:08 PM
The refs ruined what could have been a great game. Instead they turned it into Foulapalooza.

Absolutely. Outside of the Zags run this has been the worst NCAA tournament I can remember. The refs keep every game tight for the ratings then it all comes down to a free throw shooting contest. So much fun! Everybody wants to see second stringers decide a national championship game. Collins was the best big man on the floor. Shame he didn't get more minutes. Overall I feel like we needed that step. If NWG and Collins come back, we win the ship!

adoptedzag
04-03-2017, 08:08 PM
Not sure NWG comes back -- he's already "old" for a guard and not much upside to spending another year not making any money.

TexasZagFan
04-03-2017, 08:10 PM
No sour grapes from me. Poor free throw shooting killed us.

VinnyZag
04-03-2017, 08:13 PM
I thought we got shorted in "One Shining Moment." Fricking Northwestern kid got alost as much camera time as GU.

Ezag
04-03-2017, 08:19 PM
I feel good.

ZagLawGrad
04-03-2017, 08:22 PM
FT shooting, some bad TO's, and frankly Shem looked like D-2 level tonite on offense. I have to wonder if his eye was more of a factor than we know.

Perkins played well, was smoking hot in the first half, but that TO to start the half. Painful.

zag944
04-03-2017, 08:23 PM
whatever on the officiating in general. Just such a bummer when it seems so funneled into keeping Collins out of this game and tourney. Maybe he's doing something that my dumb mind can't see but it seems like officials are targeting him.

MDABE80
04-03-2017, 08:24 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/referees-absurdly-take-over-national-title-game-twitter-revolts/ar-BBziyJN?li=BBnb7Kz

Refs screwed this game up. Bad titl game with the refs intervening too much. Even the nation knows it.

23dpg
04-03-2017, 08:25 PM

I was there with a equal UNC and Zag fans. Refs were brutal to both sides. Unwatchable. Otherwise agree.

MJ777
04-03-2017, 08:26 PM
I thought we got shorted in "One Shining Moment." Fricking Northwestern kid got alost as much camera time as GU.

They did get slighted, but I was glad to see Mop Girl and Jenks. I feel bad for that Northwestern kid.

gu03alum
04-03-2017, 08:38 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8ifcUJXcAEcTvK.jpg

vandalzag
04-03-2017, 08:47 PM
Not sure NWG comes back -- he's already "old" for a guard and not much upside to spending another year not making any money.

He sure sounded like he closed the door during his interview with Andy Katz...feel for the kid left it all on the floor. Hope he comes back would like to see him have a repeat performance.

Zags11
04-03-2017, 09:20 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8ifcUJXcAEcTvK.jpg

That killed us. Pure bullcrap. Collins being out as well. Damn proud of gonzaga.

Zags11
04-03-2017, 09:21 PM
He sure sounded like he closed the door during his interview with Andy Katz...feel for the kid left it all on the floor. Hope he comes back would like to see him have a repeat performance.

Yea I read it as he was gone.

ZagNative
04-03-2017, 09:27 PM
So what the hell do I do tomorrow?

Hoopaholic
04-03-2017, 09:27 PM
So what the hell do I do tomorrow?

Daydream about the upcoming season

ZagNative
04-03-2017, 09:31 PM
Daydream about the upcoming seasonCan you start me off with some positive thoughts about what next season might offer?

bballbeachbum
04-03-2017, 09:32 PM
Can you start me off with some positive thoughts about what next season might offer?

I want to play too

Hoopaholic
04-03-2017, 09:35 PM
Can you start me off with some positive thoughts about what next season might offer?

Williams
Alberts
Perkins
Melson
Tille
Collins
Larsen
Rui
Novel
Jones
Jesse
Kispert

2 transfers as yet to be determined

bballbeachbum
04-03-2017, 09:38 PM
depends on who stays and who goes right?
I'll assume both go, NWG and Zach
JWIII and Killian make up a different frontcourt look, more perimeter abilities to take opposing bigs away and open the lane
Josh and Silas might like that and how that attack might look

will miss the rim protection of Karno and Zach, that is hard to replace in the scheme of things with the D

just thinking out loud

bballbeachbum
04-03-2017, 09:40 PM
how the new guys fit or don't, step into the roles or don't, the new rim protectors or not
going to be fun!

Hoopaholic
04-03-2017, 09:40 PM
depends on who stays and who goes right?
I'll assume both go, NWG and Zach
JWIII and Killian make up a different frontcourt look, more perimeter abilities to take opposing bigs away and open the lane
Josh and Silas might like that and how that attack might look

will miss the rim protection of Karno and Zach, that is hard to replace in the scheme of things with the D

just thinking out loud

Underestimating Larsen, rui and tille I think

Less rim protection if Collins goes but more agile and quicker rotation...traps

ProVeeZag
04-03-2017, 09:41 PM

That was my takeway also. I jealously want NWG to come back, but don't know that would be the best for him. He gave so much of himself to all of us Zag fanatics this year. All I can say about Nigel is WOW!

Hoopaholic
04-03-2017, 09:42 PM
Could see very aggressive zone like Syracuse?

Hoopaholic
04-03-2017, 09:42 PM
That was my takeway also. I jealously want NWG to come back, but don't know that would be the best for him. He gave so much of himself to all of us Zag fanatics this year. All I can say about Nigel is WOW!

Agree. Warrior

bballbeachbum
04-03-2017, 09:43 PM

I'm not underestimating anyone at all, and Rui looks like he can dominate the perimeter

bballbeachbum
04-03-2017, 09:44 PM

on D, that's sounds fun and different,it's going to be different without Karno, just inevitable

Alum08
04-03-2017, 09:47 PM
One more lollipop: shortest postseason ever!

bballbeachbum
04-03-2017, 09:49 PM
I'll put the question to you this way hoop

how will the Zags overcome with next year's team the way this year's squad did?

will be tough without NWG, Zach, Karno and Jordan, I'm sure we can agree on that. those staying have every opportunity to step up into that, I'm looking forward to it with estimations in balance :)

Hoopaholic
04-03-2017, 09:51 PM
I'll put the question to you this way hoop

how will the Zags overcome with next year's team the way this year's squad did?

will be tough without NWG, Zach, Karno and Jordan, I'm sure we can agree on that. those staying have every opportunity to step up into that, I'm looking forward to it with estimations in balance :)
Ahhhh for me that is the beauty of college hoops

bballbeachbum
04-03-2017, 09:54 PM
Ahhhh for me that is the beauty of college hoops

for me too my man :cheers: to that

maynard g krebs
04-03-2017, 11:40 PM

Since I'm still up, I'll give it a shot. Mentioned some of this in the 'come back" thread.

Big enough, but fast, athletic frontcourt if Tillie/JW3 start. Size on the wings that we haven't seen before, and versatility w/ Rui, Kispert, Norvell. Lights out shooters in the latter 2 and Wade. Maybe the best group of shooters yet.

I see a team that can press more (1-2-2 3/4 court trap w/ Tillie or JW3 at point) and really push tempo, fast break at every opportunity and shoot a ton of 3's with a high % on the secondary break.

I expect Perkins to have a breakout year when he gets back to running the point full time with a group around him that's more suited to his style, uptempo, open court basketball, which is what I love. Thought he really sacrificed his game for the good of the team this year, something many here didn't seem to understand.

I think next year's team, even if the two being talked about are gone, could be the most fun to watch yet. I expect several games where they hit a hundred. Kispert and Norvell are already my two new favorites.

LongIslandZagFan
04-04-2017, 04:30 AM
Just going to throw this out there... has anyone looked at the 2018 mock drafts? I have. They have Tillie as a lottery pick.

gu03alum
04-04-2017, 05:10 AM
North Carolina Cut Down the Nets, but the Referees Won the National Championship (https://theringer.com/north-carolina-cut-down-the-nets-but-the-referees-won-the-national-championship-7930771ee748)

gu03alum
04-04-2017, 05:49 AM
Source (https://theringer.com/north-carolina-tar-heels-national-title-joel-berry-roy-williams-16626247b41)

I promise I won’t complain about the referees. That wouldn’t be fair to the North Carolina fans who just want to celebrate their team winning its sixth national championship by beating Gonzaga 71–65 on Monday night. Those fans deserve better than to be reminded that the Tar Heels were bad all tournament, and that their victory over the Zags capped off what will go down as the least memorable national championship run of my lifetime. And I certainly don’t want to stir the ### by saying that Gonzaga was the better team or that four of Carolina’s past five titles should have asterisks next to them, since the 2005 and 2017 titles belong to the refs, the 1993 title can be attributed to Chris Webber’s timeout, and the 1982 title came as a result of Fred Brown’s pass to James Worthy. Making statements like that would be unprofessional and, dammit, I’m nothing if not professional.

Until then, congratulations to North Carolina for winning its first national championship in eight years, and congratulations to college basketball officials for protecting their “worst referees in all of sports” turf. Most importantly, congratulations to all of you for enduring one of the most brutal national title games of all time.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-04-2017, 08:19 AM
No sour grapes from me. Poor free throw shooting killed us.

Yup. If Williams and Karnowski made a couple of those point blank skyhooks or if NWG made his missed free throws, the UNC fans would be complaining that the officials cost them the game.

bartruff1
04-04-2017, 08:29 AM
The officials didn't cost Gonzaga the game....they only made 12 of 40 2 point shots (Shem only I of 8) ..... and missing the free throws was critical...in spite of everything,...... they had the lead at the 2 minute mark and couldn't close it out......but North Carolina could...and deserved to win..

Zags11
04-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Look it was a piss poor ref job. We goit punished worse then north Carolina. That's factual. Most the world is in agreement. You just can't have your star center go 1-8, and your star guard 4-8 from the line.

But damn I'm so proud. So proud. Classy team and coaching staff.

MDABE80
04-04-2017, 09:03 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/m/37ba16b6-cf90-34e3-8c1f-08ad0795155a/kennedy-meeks%26%2339%3B-hand-is.html

titopoet
04-04-2017, 11:24 AM

Rui, breakout of a NBA lotto pick. Rui, man Rui. 6'8" athletic wing with a 7 foot wingspan. The only thing that was holding him back was the language and that is getting better. Breakout and Rui makes an entire nation Japan part of Zag Nation.

titopoet
04-04-2017, 11:28 AM

Yes, i think the Machine (As Larsen has become known as since his workouts have transformed him into a muscle bound beast) will have a breakout season.