PDA

View Full Version : Refs blew major call at end - UNC still deserved win

CDC84
04-03-2017, 07:54 PM
In that scrum near the end of the game on UNC's end, Meeks had his hand on the ball and his other hand out of bounds. It should have been Gonzaga's possession. Refs called jump ball. I have zero idea, as does Seth Davis, why the refs didn't go to the monitor which they were allowed to in that situation.

The Flagrant call on Shem was bogus. Nearly every analyst on twitter is saying so.

basketballzag
04-03-2017, 07:56 PM
3 ticky tack fouls on Collins on the perimeter were ridiculous.

jpn17
04-03-2017, 07:56 PM
Refs were bad, they were bad all tournament and all year. Par for the course for the NCAA I suppose. Regardless Gonzaga didn't play well enough to win IMO. They play like we know they can and they aren't in a position where those calls even matter. Agree that UNC deserved to win, they played just a little bit better than Gonzaga did.

zagcheer78
04-03-2017, 07:57 PM
Well at least it was called so much better than the South Carolina game.

Rezzagfan
04-03-2017, 07:57 PM
Was just about to say the same thing.
I was screaming at the refs to go to the replay

uZiGiZaG
04-03-2017, 07:58 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8igcLbVwAI7210.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8igcLbVwAI7210.jpg

john montana
04-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Yep. We would have had the ball down one instead of three. Worst possible moment for the ref to not pay attention to the out of bounds line.

ZagLawGrad
04-03-2017, 07:59 PM
UNC did deserve to win.

Perkins and that TO to start the half seemed to be an omen for what followed. Missed FT's, TO's on bad passes, and boy did Karno have a game to forget.

CDC84
04-03-2017, 08:00 PM
It's all over twitter now:

https://twitter.com/lukewinn/status/849103696474415104

katman50
04-03-2017, 08:00 PM
I don't know, it's always easy to harp on the officiating. I thought it was evenly called, more or less. Our boys had their chances. Sorry to say, but I guess the best team won. Go Zags!

basketballzag
04-03-2017, 08:01 PM
"@MarchMadness during the tv timeout, Gonzaga was assessed a technical foul when ballboy Adam Logan fell down allowing two balls to roll into the UNC huddle. Logan has been ejected. ..."

CDC84
04-03-2017, 08:02 PM
That large photo isn't the best angle, because it looks like Perks might be touching the ball. There was a period where Meeks had the ball and had his hand totally out of bounds.

the big issue is the refs not going to the monitor.

LongIslandZagFan
04-03-2017, 08:03 PM
It was a missed call... yes. Not going to be a Northwestern fan/apologist. Zags played tough and had opportunities.

scrooner
04-03-2017, 08:03 PM
Another good one. What are you doing posting up, young man?

https://twitter.com/lukewinn/status/849093116443467777

bballbeachbum
04-03-2017, 08:04 PM
Yep. We would have had the ball down one instead of three. Worst possible moment for the ref to not pay attention to the out of bounds line.

timely

uZiGiZaG
04-03-2017, 08:06 PM
UNC did deserve to win.

Perkins and that TO to start the half seemed to be an omen for what followed. Missed FT's, TO's on bad passes, and boy did Karno have a game to forget.
I can't take this reply serious. At all.

sylean
04-03-2017, 08:06 PM
UNC tripped NWG towards the end...no foul....hand out of bounds on UNC...no call......they didn't review the eye attack the other day against Karno but they sure went to the monitor quickly tonite...

team did not play well.....the refs made sure of it it seems....thats' my story and I'm sticking to it...

CDC84
04-03-2017, 08:09 PM
Just to be fair to UNC (this game deserved better refs)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8ikGP2UwAAOjl1.jpg

Hoopaholic
04-03-2017, 08:10 PM

Yep. These are the three best refs in college hoops. Sad

VinnyZag
04-03-2017, 08:11 PM
The title of the thread sums up my feelings exactly.

ZagLawGrad
04-03-2017, 08:12 PM
Missed call. But Melson's gotta hang onto the ball.

ZagLawGrad
04-03-2017, 08:12 PM
I can't take this reply serious. At all.

It is serious and accurate. Let the ref thing go. Bad call, yes, but it wasn't one-sided.

uZiGiZaG
04-03-2017, 08:13 PM

What impact did this have on the game? I mean cmon .. this is kinda silly.

jpn17
04-03-2017, 08:14 PM
Missed call. But Melson's gotta hang onto the ball.

Agreed, if Melson just picks it up, then there's no call for the refs to miss to begin with. They were missing calls left and right all game and the players knew that. UNC didn't play particularly well, but they did play just a little bit better than Gonzaga did tonight, especially in the 2nd half. That doesn't excuse the reffing, the fact that the NCAA thinks these 3 were the best the country has to offer is just sad, but I can't say that UNC didn't deserve to win because of it.

uZiGiZaG
04-03-2017, 08:15 PM
It is serious and accurate. Let the ref thing go. Bad call, yes, but it wasn't one-sided.

Considering our ONE player that UNC had no answer for offensively and defensively fouled out on this

https://twitter.com/samenole/status/849092129502756868

I'd say.. the refs controlled this game.. for UNC.. we weee up 1 with under 2 min and they took over again

MJ777
04-03-2017, 08:16 PM

They were just Turrible. Both teams probably would have played better if the refs had refereed better.

72Prep
04-03-2017, 08:16 PM
I don't know, it's always easy to harp on the officiating. I thought it was evenly called, more or less. Our boys had their chances. Sorry to say, but I guess the best team won. Go Zags!

I agree. The game was evenly called poorly and it affected both teams. Neither played particularly well, but I believe (hard to remember in the post blur) we were tied or down 1 with 2 mins to go. You can't ask for more than that in a Championship game. Carolina finished and we didn't.

What an awesome season!

Section 116
04-03-2017, 08:17 PM
In the post game press conference Few made it clear he had no problems with the referees. He said they are three of the best in the game and I have no problem with the way the game was called. With all those big guys in there and all the guards going downhill trying to get the ball inside, I just don't have any problems. If that is the way few feels about the way the game was called that is good enough for me. Check the post game press conference for Few's comments. Few also said in talking to Boeheim earlier in the week Boeheim said it will crush you if you don't win it, and you know what the cagey old veteran was right, it does crush you.

Birddog
04-03-2017, 08:18 PM

Agreed, but they ruined the game. Wait a minute the 2 fouls on Collins for moving screens were pretty weak on second thought.

jpn17
04-03-2017, 08:21 PM
In the post game press conference Few made it clear he had no problems with the referees. He said they are three of the best in the game and I have no problem with the way the game was called. With all those big guys in there and all the guards going downhill trying to get the ball inside, I just don't have any problems. If that is the way few feels about the way the game was called that is good enough for me. Check the post game press conference for Few's comments.

If these are 3 of the best in the game, then the game is in a very sorry state. But I'm not surprised with the horrible officiating I saw the entire tournament, not just in Gonzaga's games, but just about every game that was close down the stretch had at least one blatantly wrong call. It's too bad, because the kids playing their hearts out in these games deserve better. No ref is going to be perfect, but you should not be able to spot multiple wrong calls live on tv, while 3 refs who are there in person 5 feet from the ball can't.

thespywhozaggedme
04-03-2017, 08:22 PM
So I was actually on the Duke boards and over a dozen posters over there were freaking out because they said that Meeks hand was actually out of bounds during the loose ball scrum. I DVR every single game and sure enough the ball was in his lap and his hand was out of bounds, and the refs never even reviewed it. Shameful

IMG_2087.JPG

thespywhozaggedme
04-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Aw crap. Can someone tell me how to post a picture that I took off of the TV from my phone? Thanks

caduceus
04-03-2017, 08:24 PM
OK, the title of this thread ends in "UNC still deserved win"

I will NEVER understand that mentality. If the ref gives the correct call (GONZAGA BALL) then the outcome of this game absolutely, positively will be completely different (whether Zags win or not is another story).

It's nice to be a good sport when the final buzzer sounds, but for some inexplicable reason, we seem to have to deny reality that subjective and missed calls don't affect the outcome.

I'm pissed.

Now, the big question is, will the NCAA make a statement that the refs missed the call?

jpn17
04-03-2017, 08:26 PM

I will NEVER understand that mentality. If the ref gives the correct call (GONZAGA BALL) then the outcome of this game absolutely, positively will be completely different (whether Zags win or not is another story).

It's nice to be a good sport when the final buzzer sounds, but for some inexplicable reason, we seem to have to deny reality that subjective and missed calls don't affect the outcome.

I'm pissed.

I'm upset at the officiating too, and I don't dispute that the call did affect the game negatively from Gonzaga's point of view. I just know the Zags could have played better and that's why I won't put the blame on the refs. Gonzaga plays the way we know they can, makes a few more shots we know they can make, and this stuff isn't even an issue. That's my mindset anyway.

CDC84
04-03-2017, 08:28 PM
And why didn't Few ask for a video review of that Meek's play. Or did he? Either way, the refs should've reviewed it.

ZagLawGrad
04-03-2017, 08:30 PM

I'm pissed.

Now, the big question is, will the NCAA make a statement that the refs missed the call?

True. But again Melson had that ball and let it get away. Gotta make the play!! It's championship basketball.

uZiGiZaG
04-03-2017, 08:31 PM
I've never been one to shout out conspiracies and saying #### is rigged but after the #### with Arkansas and UK.. and then tonight how the refs were DETERMINED to get Collins out the game.. this #### is suspect as hell.

They need to investigate this crew.

uZiGiZaG
04-03-2017, 08:32 PM
True. But again Melson had that ball and let it get away. Gotta make the play!! It's championship basketball.

Yeah and so did Meeks.. so was that championship basketball?

Bc he got rewarded

thespywhozaggedme
04-03-2017, 08:35 PM
So immediately after Zach's non-called goaltending block against Northwestern the NCAA came out and issued a correction saying that the referees got it wrong. Will they do the same for this agregious non call? Don't hold your breath waiting.

ZagLawGrad
04-03-2017, 08:35 PM
Yeah and so did Meeks.. so was that championship basketball?

Bc he got rewarded

Then again we had Perkins with the amazing dumb TO to start the half, Tillie and NWG forcing a couple of bad passes for TO's, all the missed FTs. Those were a chance for a dozen or more points for the Zags. But instead it turned into points on the other end of the court.

gu03alum
04-03-2017, 08:38 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8ifcUJXcAEcTvK.jpg

bballbeachbum
04-03-2017, 08:40 PM
this is a telling play, but all the Zag O fouls just crushed them; the bigs collect fouls, Zags get no shot attempt and a turnover, and UNC gets an extra possession each time. this is old school as old school gets on terrible calls ruining games. Zags won many key categories but not that one which led to 14 more shots for UNC of which they made 6 more than the Zags, and added 6 turnovers to the Zags total of 14.
I'm not saying Zags didn't have the chances to win it, they did, a credit to them, and could have won with some made chippies, FTs

Hoopaholic
In the post game press conference Few made it clear he had no problems with the referees. He said they are three of the best in the game and I have no problem with the way the game was called. With all those big guys in there and all the guards going downhill trying to get the ball inside, I just don't have any problems. If that is the way few feels about the way the game was called that is good enough for me. Check the post game press conference for Few's comments. Few also said in talking to Boeheim earlier in the week Boeheim said it will crush you if you don't win it, and you know what the cagey old veteran was right, it does crush you.

He is a class act

vandalzag
Sorry boys one call does not make the game. Letting one call make the game by missing shots, turning it over,etc... that is the problem. Meeks OB missed call does not guarantee the game same way with Northwestern and Zack with the Goal Tend.

webspinnre
04-03-2017, 08:41 PM
The referees were consistently terrible in this game. I can't imagine UNC is happy with them either. Entire flow of the game disrupted with the constant foul calls.

bballbeachbum
04-03-2017, 08:41 PM
Sorry boys one call does not make the game. Letting one call make the game by missing shots, turning it over,etc... that is the problem. Meeks OB missed call does not guarantee the game same way with Northwestern and Zack with the Goal Tend.

agreed

Hoopaholic
04-03-2017, 08:42 PM

Generally agree. But a call that puts key player on bench with a phony flagrant one does have impact on a game

gu03alum
04-03-2017, 08:43 PM
Generally agree. But a call that puts key player on bench with a phony flagrant one does have impact on a game

YES

bballbeachbum
04-03-2017, 08:44 PM

good point. as said above, many instances of such tonight. not one call

CdAZagFan
04-03-2017, 08:46 PM
Don't really understand the Shem flagrant... I just wish the refs would have taken a step back and let the players decide the game. It could have been an all time classic if they would have just let the game flow - would have been interesting to see.

thespywhozaggedme
04-03-2017, 08:47 PM

Yes, but the point is if they got the call correct or at least reviewed it, it would've been our ball down by one instead they got possession and scored putting us down by three. I will never understand post such as yours, shake my head.

bballbeachbum
04-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Zags were always going to have to overcome. I'm not complaining, just pointing it out. it is what it is and it was demonstrated throughout the tournament
makes the accomplishment, not just this year but through it all, all that more sweet to me...that's what is so sweet to me

vandalzag
04-03-2017, 08:51 PM

Lots of plays make a game. The timing makes them seem more important. But if Shem makes his normal rate of bunnys the Zags are up 10 when the B.S. flagrant is called(a prime example of good intentions going the wrong way). Like Rafferty said you can't win in the first 2 minutes but you can sure lose. Ugly game...but the boys really showed heart playing 5 on 8 at some points in the game.

vandalzag
04-03-2017, 08:55 PM
Yes, but the point is if they got the call correct or at least reviewed it, it would've been our ball down by one instead they got possession and scored putting us down by three. I will never understand post such as yours, shake my head.

Your lack of understanding validates my point. Thanks.

thespywhozaggedme
04-03-2017, 09:00 PM
Your lack of understanding validates my point. Thanks.

That's interesting perspective, I hadn't thought of that. Do you have a newsletter that I could subscribe to?

mgadfly
04-03-2017, 09:02 PM

That wasn't a violation. J3 is moving backwards and picks up his left foot before releasing the ball. The only blown call on that play was Meeks being out of bounds prior to the called jump ball. And maybe Hicks karate chopping J3 to make the basket.

Worthington
04-03-2017, 09:05 PM
Can we talk about the travel call on the NWG spin move for a second? Please explain to me how that was a travel. Brutal.

bballbeachbum
04-03-2017, 09:05 PM
Can we talk about the travel call on the NWG spin move for a second? Please explain to me how that was a travel. Brutal.

absurd call

thespywhozaggedme
04-03-2017, 09:06 PM
To ESPN's credit, is now on the front page:

Jump ball call costs Gonzaga late.North Carolina is awarded possession after Kennedy Meeks and Silas Melson battle for the ball, but it appears Meeks' hand was out of bounds.

0:22

vandalzag
04-03-2017, 09:06 PM
That's interesting perspective, I hadn't thought of that. Do you have a newsletter that I could subscribe to?

Sure but unfortunately it is not written in crayola so you would not be able to follow.

bballbeachbum
04-03-2017, 09:07 PM
wasn't an O foul that took away a Zag possession and put a foul on a big but it did take away a possession and help explain how UNC shot 14 more time than the Zags

thespywhozaggedme
04-03-2017, 09:09 PM
Sure but unfortunately it is not written in crayola so you would not be able to follow.

So, as I just posted ESPN has now put it on their front page. I guess they are wrong too? Again, if they had made the call correctly we would be down by one, not three. Do you dispute that?

omahazag
04-03-2017, 09:09 PM

Finger paint?

MJ777
04-03-2017, 09:11 PM
To ESPN's credit, is now on the front page:

Jump ball call costs Gonzaga late.North Carolina is awarded possession after Kennedy Meeks and Silas Melson battle for the ball, but it appears Meeks' hand was out of bounds.

0:22

"Tainted Title"

gu03alum
04-03-2017, 09:12 PM
terrible 5th foul call on Collins (https://twitter.com/samenole/status/849092129502756868)

ZagsGoZags
04-03-2017, 09:13 PM
I've never been one to shout out conspiracies and saying #### is rigged but after the #### with Arkansas and UK.. and then tonight how the refs were DETERMINED to get Collins out the game.. this #### is suspect as hell.

They need to investigate this crew.

How many times this year after Collings had played 15 minutes or so was he in foul trouble with 3 or 4? With many different sets of refs. Its one of the few weak points of his present skill set.

vandalzag
04-03-2017, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=thespywhozaggedme;1313334]So, as I just posted ESPN has now put it on their front page. I guess they are wrong too? Again, if they had made the call correctly we would be down by one, not three. Do you dispute that?[/Q
Nope just like any rational person can't dispute that one call does not make a game. Lots of calls or plays do that. In 30 years of coaching the biggest things I learned that if it comes down to one call then the team failed to do their job up to that point. That being said I think the officiating was terrible but this missed call is not the only reason the Zags lost.

vandalzag
04-03-2017, 09:14 PM
Finger paint?

I was being kind

ZagLawGrad
04-03-2017, 09:15 PM
Couple of ya don't know when to shut up.

thespywhozaggedme
04-03-2017, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=thespywhozaggedme;1313334]So, as I just posted ESPN has now put it on their front page. I guess they are wrong too? Again, if they had made the call correctly we would be down by one, not three. Do you dispute that?[/Q
Nope just like any rational person can't dispute that one call does not make a game. Lots of calls or plays do that. In 30 years of coaching the biggest things I learned that if it comes down to one call then the team failed to do their job up to that point. That being said I think the officiating was terrible but this missed call is not the only reason the Zags lost.

Did any poster here claim that it was the "only reason that we lost", as you put it? That's cool that you've been a coach for 30 years by the way.

vandalzag
04-03-2017, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=vandalzag;1313342]

Did any poster here claim that it was the "only reason that we lost", as you put it? That's cool that you've been a coach for 30 years by the way.

It is cool. Lots of fun and if you are allow yourself to figure it and realize the bigger picture it can be pretty cool.

omahazag
04-03-2017, 09:21 PM

Does timing of the bad calls not matter? Tough to play through bad calls with under a minute left.

That said, I agree, certainly could have been a different game had we played bettter- but that doesn't mean the missed call didn't affect the outcome one way or the other

ProVeeZag
04-03-2017, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=vandalzag;1313342]

Does timing of the bad calls not matter? Tough to play through bad calls with under a minute left.

That said, I agree, certainly could have been a different game had we played bettter- but that doesn't mean the missed call didn't affect the outcome one way or the other

Let's play "What If?". What if the "Meeks hand OOB" call had come with 15 seconds left in the game? Is there ever a situation when one bad call affects the outcome? Of course there is. Timing does matter.

vandalzag
04-03-2017, 09:35 PM
[QUOTE=omahazag;1313352]

Let's play "What If?". What if the "Meeks hand OOB" call had come with 15 seconds left in the game? Is there ever a situation when one bad call affects the outcome? Of course there is. Timing does matter.

Said every Northwestern Fan in 2017...Can't have it both ways.

Zags11
04-03-2017, 09:35 PM

I'm pissed.

Yea that was the game. We would of been down 1 and could of ran a set play.

ZagaZags
04-03-2017, 09:45 PM

http://cdn.list25.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Writing-on-toilet-paper.jpg

ProVeeZag
04-03-2017, 09:46 PM
Zags were always going to have to overcome. I'm not complaining, just pointing it out. it is what it is and it was demonstrated throughout the tournament
makes the accomplishment, not just this year but through it all, all that more sweet to me...that's what is so sweet to me

Yes. To beat North Carolina by 2, you have to outplay them by 20. We didn't do that tonight.

ProVeeZag
04-03-2017, 09:50 PM
http://cdn.list25.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Writing-on-toilet-paper.jpg

Do you have a website? I'd like to order 12 rolls please - 2 ply/quilted preferred.

bballbeachbum
04-03-2017, 09:58 PM
Yes. To beat North Carolina by 2, you have to outplay them by 20. We didn't do that tonight.

had the looks to do it with the right players too, UNC's length and 'physical' d had something to do with it too, but they didn't go in

spike_jr
04-03-2017, 10:06 PM
When Few was interviewed after the game, he mentioned this play as being huge. He said that we really needed to get that rebound. So if he thought it was huge, I guess it does matter.

Zagricultural
04-03-2017, 10:17 PM
Gonzaga deserved a well officiated game. UNC beat Kentucky, Oregon, and Gonzaga with help from the Refs. Pathetic!!!

Alum08
04-03-2017, 10:21 PM
Gonzaga deserved a well officiated game. UNC beat Kentucky, Oregon, and Gonzaga with help from the Refs. Pathetic!!!
Refs almost ruined the game but I don't feel like it was egregiously in their favor. Missing Meeks on the end line and the offensive fouls on ZC were the killers. Beyond those it was just inconsistent calling that never let the bigs on either team establish rhythm.

JPtheBeasta
04-03-2017, 10:35 PM
And why didn't Few ask for a video review of that Meek's play. Or did he? Either way, the refs should've reviewed it.

Few didn't know about it until a reporter asked him about it...He said if he thought it was that close he would have asked for a review.

maynard g krebs
04-03-2017, 10:35 PM

I'm pissed.

Agree. It's the three monkeys approach- hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil. Very easy to alter the outcome of a close game. Not going to the monitor is a DELIBERATE choice. No mistake about it.

JPtheBeasta
04-03-2017, 10:48 PM
this is a telling play, but all the Zag O fouls just crushed them; the bigs collect fouls, Zags get no shot attempt and a turnover, and UNC gets an extra possession each time. this is old school as old school gets on terrible calls ruining games. Zags won many key categories but not that one which led to 14 more shots for UNC of which they made 6 more than the Zags, and added 6 turnovers to the Zags total of 14.
I'm not saying Zags didn't have the chances to win it, they did, a credit to them, and could have won with some made chippies, FTs

Excellent summary. Totally agree. The Meeks out of bounds is a microcosm of the poor officiating, but I think you hit the nail on the head about the offensive fouls.

Zagceo
04-03-2017, 11:41 PM
When Few was interviewed after the game, he mentioned this play as being huge. He said that we really needed to get that rebound. So if he thought it was huge, I guess it does matter.

and if Silas handles the strip by Przemek cleanly we have the ball.....instead Silas bounces it off his leg.

lots of missed opportunities.

TexasZagFan
04-04-2017, 05:18 AM
and if Silas handles the strip by Przemek cleanly we have the ball.....instead Silas bounces it off his leg.

lots of missed opportunities.

Money quote.

Karnowski 1 for 8, Nigel missing 4 FT's, and all those turnovers in the second half...

Bogozags
04-04-2017, 05:33 AM

I remember an official calling this very violation in a NC game several years ago and he was chastised severely which maybe one reason this wasn't called...just saying...

But the 4th foul called on JWIII was just a bogus call...I looked at that time and time again...

No doubt we are going to be more critical of the fouls called against us because the fouls called against PK, ZC and JWII put our bigs in trouble for the second half...

Our defence was superb only giving up 71...there defence was also very good holding us to 65...we both missed shots and I feel so bad for PK making only one basket and it wasn't UNC defence that made him miss...he just had a horrible shooting night and I compare it to KW's game at SMU last year...nothing would fall!

(Just to add one thing...NWG and the other guys did a heck of a job on Jackson.)

scrooner
04-04-2017, 05:39 AM
This is an older story about referee bias & foul discrepancy. Ignore the title - this story is about a study on bias & refereeing in general.

"Refs favor the home team, the academics say. They're big on "make-up" calls. They make more calls against teams in the lead, and the discrepancy grows if the game is on national TV."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/news/story?id=4682821

MJ777
04-04-2017, 06:28 AM
The Zags should have worn blue. More penalties are called against teams wearing black. I think it's the Darth Vader effect.