Part of it was fatigue

The cumulative effect made for a tough game to watch

MJ777
04-03-2017, 07:46 PM
Part of it was length
Part of it was the calls
Part of it was fatigue

The cumulative effect made for a tough game to watch

I bumped into my wife and she called a foul on me. If those were the best refs then I would hate to see the worst.

cscz28
04-03-2017, 07:46 PM
I think both teams looked worn out the entire game. The refs weren't good but for the most part the foul calls had to be made, nobody had any legs left.

ZagLawGrad
04-03-2017, 07:52 PM
So much for Joe Berry and two bad ankles

cggonzaga
04-03-2017, 07:53 PM
The refs were awful. Didn't favor one team but Mick is right. Ruined the flow of the game.

sylean
04-03-2017, 07:53 PM
but it seems the refs did their best to get our three big guys out of their game.....sure, UNC got fouls too but no one was in danger until midway thru the 2nd half....and then you see some things not called at all......it all adds up...

both teams looked tired.....too much hype....no doubt a rested Zag team would have done better even with the refs....but too many empty possessions...too many odd little things like sliding on the floor....too many missed bunnies and not one confident 3 pointer shooter in the 2nd half....

we needed Collins in there but the reffing essentially took him out early......I'm paranoid but I'm sure the big boys got what they wanted out of the refs....

MickMick
04-03-2017, 07:54 PM
I think both teams looked worn out the entire game. The refs weren't good but for the most part the foul calls had to be made, nobody had any legs left.

Jacksons legs were shot and he couldn't hit anything.

GU couldn't get stops because the UNC length caused great foul pressure. Fatigue contributes. When you can't move your feet you start slapping with your hands.

john montana
04-03-2017, 07:55 PM
That jump ball between Silas and Meeks? Meeks was out of bounds (hand) right at the refs feet. Jump ball called instead and Hicks hits the double pump, shove jw3's arm away shot. Ball game. They call Meeks out of bounds as he was and we have the ball down 1.

Heartbreaking.

bballbeachbum
04-03-2017, 08:18 PM

GU couldn't get stops because the UNC length caused great foul pressure. Fatigue contributes. When you can't move your feet you start slapping with your hands.

all these guys play games on 2 days rest all season...going 0-6 from 3 in the first half wasn't tired legs imo. I think Zag D has proven the ability to take away a 3 point shooter's game all season and make them do other things besides catch and shoot. once they don't have that it's harder to find your rhythm. Zags did this all year and again tonight to Jackson with Silas but mostly NWG. Berry had some catch and shoot 3s

FuManShoes
04-03-2017, 09:02 PM
That's the shame of it: the players weren't allowed to show what they can do, and fans were denied a classic game worth rewatching.

Zags11
04-03-2017, 09:25 PM
That jump ball between Silas and Meeks? Meeks was out of bounds (hand) right at the refs feet. Jump ball called instead and Hicks hits the double pump, shove jw3's arm away shot. Ball game. They call Meeks out of bounds as he was and we have the ball down 1.

Heartbreaking.

Should been reviewable as under 2 minutes right?

Hoopaholic
04-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Should been reviewable as under 2 minutes right?

Nope. They called jump ball not out of bounds

Hoopaholic
04-03-2017, 09:31 PM

Could it be due to tough defense forcing him exert extra effort just touch ball combined with his extra exertion defending goss?

ProVeeZag
04-03-2017, 09:34 PM

Not wanting to nitpick, but they called "held ball, alternating possession". I know you know that Hoop, but have seen countless others on other threads call it a jump ball and just wanted to clarify. Only 1 jump ball per regulation game.

Hoopaholic
04-03-2017, 09:35 PM
Not wanting to nitpick, but they called "held ball, alternating possession". I know you know that Hoop, but have seen countless others on other threads call it a jump ball and just wanted to clarify. Only 1 jump ball per regulation game.

I am old fashion

ProVeeZag
04-03-2017, 09:45 PM
I am old fashion

Me too, won't ever change either.

cggonzaga
04-03-2017, 09:46 PM

Pretty sure it could've been reviewed because he was out of bounds before the jump ball. Few has to ask for it.

Hoopaholic
04-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Pretty sure it could've been reviewed because he was out of bounds before the jump ball. Few has to ask for it.

I don't think so...rule is reviewable determine ball out of bounds but that was not the call on floor. Be interesting to hear from ref...have buddy who refs for wcc and might ask him over cup coffee

ProVeeZag
04-03-2017, 09:53 PM

Nice parsing here! I think you may have a point ... chicken or egg, all over again.

kitzbuel
04-03-2017, 09:54 PM
The game was painful and exhausting to watch while there. Fans had no idea how to cheer on half the calls. Extended decisions made it hard to cheer. There were periods of quite in the whole stadium as everyone just waited.

MDABE80
04-03-2017, 09:58 PM
This FF game was probably the worst I've seen in 50 years. Our guys played like crap. Their guys played like crap . The refs mismanaged this game from the beginning to point where I honest can't tell who played well enough to win. The only measure was the end game score.
We've got great kids and players as does UNC.
It was a stupid game. Both shot for crap, Bother defended marginally but the refs, who usually set the tempo of the game, were lousy. There was no tempo. These fits and starts.
Love our guys and we'll be really good next year but this was a frustrating end to a terrific season.

The national title game for the college basketball's deserves better. A lot better. I'm disappointed at the outcome. no doubt.
I'm far more disappointed with the GAME!

bballbeachbum
04-03-2017, 10:02 PM
nice to end the season agreeing with you

Lakesbison
04-03-2017, 10:09 PM
as a casual observer yes refs sucked the ft shooting sucked no flow icky

MDABE80
04-03-2017, 10:13 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19072726/referees-missed-shots-poor-play-make-forgettable-national-title-game

MDABE80
04-03-2017, 10:18 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/referee-north-carolina-gonzaga-fouls-ncaa-tournament-championship-ruined-game-040417

Zags11
04-03-2017, 10:30 PM

Duh I forgot. Lol thx

caduceus
04-03-2017, 10:35 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/referee-north-carolina-gonzaga-fouls-ncaa-tournament-championship-ruined-game-040417

That was scathing. Lots of points I agree with.

MDABE80
04-03-2017, 10:59 PM
This one was really a bad game. UNC won if you look at points only. I'm not conceding it couldn't have just as easily been the other way. I think this game was corrupt at the outset same as if you conceded 2 and 2= 3 then ran a whole series of equations depending on that . The whole game was just awful.

caduceus
04-03-2017, 11:15 PM
Dumb Shining Moment:

Brought to you by the three clowns in stripes.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/dumb-shining-moment-your-2017-ncaa-tournament-lowlight-1793980205

(This was really well done, BTW!)

rijman
04-04-2017, 07:35 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19072726/referees-missed-shots-poor-play-make-forgettable-national-title-game

Thanks for the link. Within the article a Lebron tweet says the game was hard to watch and the refs should let the players decide the game, I agree.

bartruff1
04-04-2017, 10:20 AM
I know it isn't going to happen, but I wish the NCAA would end the not so instant replay....just let the officials call the games, realizing that they are human and the game is next to impossible to officiate.... so mistakes are part of the game..... while I am wishing, I would like to see the 3 point shot dropped... and of course the designated hitter ruined baseball !!! Bah Humbug..

CarolinaZagFan
04-04-2017, 10:24 AM
Terrible game to watch. I'm 30 and I've been waiting for that game since the 8th grade and I nearly fell asleep in the second half. Refs are ruining college basketball to the point where it's almost unwatchable.

TexasZagFan
04-04-2017, 10:46 AM
I know it isn't going to happen, but I wish the NCAA would end the not so instant replay....just let the officials call the games, realizing that they are human and the game is next to impossible to officiate.... so mistakes are part of the game..... while I am wishing, I would like to see the 3 point shot dropped... and of course the designated hitter ruined baseball !!! Bah Humbug..

One of my favorite pitchers of all time was Catfish Hunter. The man often pitched complete games in under two hours. He took pride in his hitting, too, hitting upwards of .350 one year.