X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hoopaholic
    • Mar 2008

Keys to the win

Exploit Joel Berry...my guess is he will be off ball defending Mathews to take pressure away from his two bad ankles trying to guard Goss....this means Mathews may get lost in the transition as Berry normally used to going to middle of court working back out to defend the ball....instead he may forget or get lost in the middle on our transition, leaving Mathews to hit some of his famous corner shots for us.

Contain Jackson...my guess is we start with mathews on him and on the double down screens we auto switch with JW3...........we may also see alot of zone switching back and forth as Oregon demonstrated Zone allowed containment of the dribble....but we MUST all 5 rebound out of this defensive posture

Shem and Collins......on both end of the court will be important to be established and stay out of foul trouble

JW3 on weakside rebounding and some offensive moves to get them in foul trouble

Tille may become a big time factor wtih opportunity to guard Jackson if he starts to go off or we have foul trouble

Although media wants to make UNC out to be this incredible offensive rebounding machine....when you boil down tournament play they excel against non fundamental teams but against solid coached fundamentally solid programs they really did not excel as much as one would think 10 offensive boards against Butler and 13 against Kentucky.......

Get the win Zags
    The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023
  • Zagcity
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Mar 2010

Who ever Berry is guarding, they can't stand still. Perkins, Mathews, NWG or Melson need run him ragged.

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Zagcity View Post
      Who ever Berry is guarding, they can't stand still. Perkins, Mathews, NWG or Melson need run him ragged.
      And throw a lot of sharp cuts at him.
      "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
        Exploit Joel Berry...my guess is he will be off ball defending Mathews to take pressure away from his two bad ankles trying to guard Goss....this means Mathews may get lost in the transition as Berry normally used to going to middle of court working back out to defend the ball....instead he may forget or get lost in the middle on our transition, leaving Mathews to hit some of his famous corner shots for us.

Contain Jackson...my guess is we start with mathews on him and on the double down screens we auto switch with JW3...........we may also see alot of zone switching back and forth as Oregon demonstrated Zone allowed containment of the dribble....but we MUST all 5 rebound out of this defensive posture

Shem and Collins......on both end of the court will be important to be established and stay out of foul trouble

Tille may become a big time factor wtih opportunity to guard Jackson if he starts to go off or we have foul trouble

Although media wants to make UNC out to be this incredible offensive rebounding machine....when you boil down tournament play they excel against non fundamental teams but against solid coached fundamentally solid programs they really did not excel as much as one would think 10 offensive boards against Butler and 13 against Kentucky.......

Get the win Zags
        Good stuff.

But let's not forget avoiding dumb TOs and make your FTs!!
        "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• TexasZagFan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

I'm not as deep as you. My keys are: limit their offensive boards, limit our turnovers, and we'll be fine. Only way we get beat is for an opponent to go crazy from behind the arc. Zags won't be beaten in a two point field goal dominated game...why? No opponent has outshot us in FG % in over a year.

Dan Brajcich may not have used numbers, but the logic behind this is irrefutable.

Comment

• Bogozags
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post

Get the win Zags
            Hoop agree with everything AND Tillie IMO needs to get more PT in this game as UNC can start a really BIG front court and with Jackson listed at 6'8" it will be difficult for our guards to defend him, especially, if he takes them inside...

Comment

• ZagDaddy
              Kennel Club Material
              • Feb 2007

Limiting their offensive rebounding is the #1 key. We have to limit their second chance points and that will be tough because they will get a lot of breaks on over the backs due to reputation calls.

Nigel needs to have a big game. He's the leader and needs to play like it. As he goes the team goes.

Limit turnovers. This has to stay in the single digits each half to keep fast breaks to a minimum.

Limit Jackson's damage. I would love for Few to throw a wrinkle at them and put Collins in at the 3 spot with Williams at 4 and Shem at the 5 at times. Make them adjust to our advantage and make Jackson cover Collins while putting Williams on him on D.

Never, ever, ever let the foot off the gas. We have stay aggressive from the tip to the final buzzer. Staying aggressive has a good chance of coaxing a few more foul calls our way.

Free throws. They are going to get a ton of them and will likely spend the majority of the game in the bonus. I predict a double digit discrepancy in attempts. We can't control that, but we take advantage of the ones we do get.

Lastly, show the world why the Zags are the #1 defensive team in the country and how defense wins championships!

Comment

Working...
              X