PDA

View Full Version : The Last Game

scott257
04-02-2017, 03:48 PM
Started to sink in that win or lose, this will be Shem's last game as a Zag. It will be Jordan Mathews last opportunity as a Zag to scorch our opponent sinking those baseline 3's. It will be the last time to see Rem and the customary send offs during player introductions. And it will be our first time as Zag fans to see the season end when the final buzzer sounds.

I have always hated the sudden way our seasons end suddenly and have always looked forward to seeing it end with the final game in a championship battle. Now thinking about it in advance it is kind of depressing. Is anyone else experiencing this?

If there is a more appropriate place for this, please feel free to move it.

gonstu
04-02-2017, 03:51 PM
It's a new feeling all right, one that's weird but that I welcome and could get used to.

DixieZag
04-02-2017, 03:58 PM
This team will be greeted as heroes no matter what. All heart. So great that they get to end their season on the biggest stage possible. They deserve it. They believed in themselves long before I came around (to the FF level).

jazzdelmar
04-02-2017, 04:11 PM
We already won.

caduceus
04-02-2017, 04:15 PM
We already won.

Well said.

MJ777
04-02-2017, 04:17 PM
We already won.

Is that you Jazz?
:000tens:

scott257
04-02-2017, 04:17 PM
We already won.

Agree completely.

zag67
04-02-2017, 04:26 PM
I find this hard to say, but I agree with Jazz. WE HAVE ALREADY WON twice. First to be there and second to make it to the finals. Yes, I would like 3 wins.

FuManShoes
04-02-2017, 05:07 PM
That struck me today, as well. :agreed: It's Shem's last game. :( The winningest player in NCAA I men's hoops history has a chance to win his last game. :adored: It doesn't get any better than that. :000tens: I have a feeling he will absolutely bring his best and his teammates will as well. :boxing: And they'll need it. :pray: But win or lose, he and the Zags have created an unbelievable and undeniable dynasty. :allhail: So might as well cap it off with the greatest win in program history, right? :clap:

Gonzdb8
04-02-2017, 05:21 PM
Regardless of tomorrow nights outcome this team will have played on the last night of the college basketball season. That is some rarified air and something we only dreamed about these past 2 decades. That said, to paraphrase Coach Few, why not just go ahead and win the thing as long as we're there!
Go Zags!

jim77
04-02-2017, 05:46 PM
We already won.

+1000000

gueastcoast
04-02-2017, 06:16 PM
+1000000

I second that!

MontanaCoyote
04-02-2017, 06:19 PM
Started to sink in that win or lose, this will be Shem's last game as a Zag. It will be Jordan Mathews last opportunity as a Zag to scorch our opponent sinking those baseline 3's. It will be the last time to see Rem and the customary send offs during player introductions. And it will be our first time as Zag fans to see the season end when the final buzzer sounds.

I have always hated the sudden way our seasons end suddenly and have always looked forward to seeing it end with the final game in a championship battle. Now thinking about it in advance it is kind of depressing. Is anyone else experiencing this?

If there is a more appropriate place for this, please feel free to move it.

Yes, I sure am! I have to admit that a great deal of it has to do with Karno and knowing his days as a Zag will be over. I'm like a little kid when it comes to Shemmick in the way I love, admire and most of all respect him. 74 and look up to him "no pun intended" as a hero.

I think I became an ardent and unapologetic Karno supporter and admirer because he took so much criticism for being what he is instead of what many wished or wanted him to be. Sweet Jesus, he was born Karno, not some Lebaron James!

He's been such a presence for so long now I just can't get to the point where I can imagine him not being here, not seeing him out there patrolling the paint, signaling instructions, giving directions and damn it, just being there and being who he is, Karno, Shemmick, The Mountain, The Presence............ They'll never be another Karno. I thank God for him and I'm going to miss him, his smile, his roar, his game, even his beard more than words can say. Well, maybe not the beard.

To Karno, forever one of the truly great Zag's! and the winningest player in NCAA college basketball history! If not a retired jersey, how about a life size bronze next to the Bulldog? Talk about a picture magnet!

CdAZagFan
04-02-2017, 06:59 PM
It's always sad when the season ends.... It's been such a great and LONG ride this year, it will be even sadder to see it end and this coming week will be strange not having another game to look forward to. But as has been said above, win or lose this team has already won - so I am really looking forward to this last game and will enjoy every second of it.

75Zag
04-02-2017, 07:24 PM
It feels like the night before Christmas. Not counting on getting much sleep. UNC has been in 20 Final Fours, they have been in 10 National Championship games, and they have won 5 National Championships. They seem to be the perfect example of a team that only has a 50/50 chance of winning any particular game at the highest level. But this year they meet the GU Bulldogs and we are way, way better than any 50/50 team.

Go Bulldogs!

sylean
04-02-2017, 07:49 PM
will the team be flying back tomorrow after the game?]

ProVeeZag
04-02-2017, 08:19 PM
will the team be flying back tomorrow after the game?]

Or will they be flying to Washington DC instead?

zagsfanforlife
04-02-2017, 08:33 PM
I want this so bad. I know we all do. The bball alumni probably want it more. The players and coaches want it most. But damn I want this bad. I have so much passion for the Zags-- it borderlines insanity--- the signed jerseys, balls, pictures, the away games i have gone to over the years, every game i have watched on tv, the GU books i have read, the relationship and bond it has created with my dad.. man GU hoops burns such a passion in me. I want to argue/fight with every million naysayers on twitter, espn, anywhere that looks for every excuse to demean the zags-- their history, their conference, their "easy path".. filled with such ignorance. I want this one so badly. Just to shut everyone up. Win tomorrow and there is nothing anyone can say. National Champs, knock off the legendary Roy Williams and NC, and bringing that trophy back to Spokane, WA and a small jesuit school that few people ever give real credit too. This program is one of the greatest stories in sports histories, and yet we are bashed like of the most hated. Yes, we have already won and this year has been the most fun in the history of my 19 years following. But man I want this one bad. The program deserves it, the guys deserve it, Few deserves it, those who have come through the program deserve it. Lets goo!!

Reborn
04-02-2017, 08:41 PM
I have somewhat of a different take, as usual. I don't think for much about Gonzaga losing tomorrow. It's a waste of time. I've believed in this team for a long long time and I'm not stopping now.There is something about these guys. They've won me over completely, and I have faith that they're winning tomorrow. I have faith in these guys.......each and every one of them. They have strung some beautiful games together tomorrow, and I truly believe that they have saved their very best for tomorrow. Forget about losing. hahahaha It's a waste of time and the energy sucks. hahaha There're be dancing in the streets is playing loudly in my spirit tonight. Get ready to dance and celebrate. Get some sleep tonight 'cause you ain't sleeping tomorrow......smiling ZagNation is going to fill that arena tomorrow night. ZagNation will cheer like they've never cheered before and the Zags will ride the wave of our energy all the way home. Why prepare yourself for the Zags to lose. they need our energy, our strength, our Faith.

Go Zags!!!

Bocco
04-02-2017, 08:45 PM
reaching the championship game makes the end of the season easier, there was no abrupt end.... that being said watching Shem and Jordan play their final game (or any Zag player for that matter) will not be easy

To Karno, forever one of the truly great Zag's! and the winningest player in NCAA college basketball history! If not a retired jersey, how about a life size bronze next to the Bulldog? Talk about a picture magnet!

a life size bronze of Shem would make the Bulldog look like a chihuahua

ProVeeZag
04-02-2017, 08:49 PM
I have somewhat of a different take, as usual. I don't think for much about Gonzaga losing tomorrow. It's a waste of time. I've believed in this team for a long long time and I'm not stopping now.There is something about these guys. They've won me over completely, and I have faith that they're winning tomorrow. I have faith in these guys.......each and every one of them. They have strung some beautiful games together tomorrow, and I truly believe that they have saved their very best for tomorrow. Forget about losing. hahahaha It's a waste of time and the energy sucks. hahaha There're be dancing in the streets is playing loudly in my spirit tonight. Get ready to dance and celebrate. Get some sleep tonight 'cause you ain't sleeping tomorrow......smiling ZagNation is going to fill that arena tomorrow night. ZagNation will cheer like they've never cheered before and the Zags will ride the wave of our energy all the way home. Why prepare yourself for the Zags to lose. they need our energy, our strength, our Faith.

Go Zags!!!

I'm with you, Bornie. Can't wait to see all the former Zag players attending the game! ZagEnergy will be electrifying.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-02-2017, 10:31 PM
I want this so bad. I know we all do. The bball alumni probably want it more. The players and coaches want it most. But damn I want this bad. I have so much passion for the Zags-- it borderlines insanity--- the signed jerseys, balls, pictures, the away games i have gone to over the years, every game i have watched on tv, the GU books i have read, the relationship and bond it has created with my dad.. man GU hoops burns such a passion in me. I want to argue/fight with every million naysayers on twitter, espn, anywhere that looks for every excuse to demean the zags-- their history, their conference, their "easy path".. filled with such ignorance. I want this one so badly. Just to shut everyone up. Win tomorrow and there is nothing anyone can say. National Champs, knock off the legendary Roy Williams and NC, and bringing that trophy back to Spokane, WA and a small jesuit school that few people ever give real credit too. This program is one of the greatest stories in sports histories, and yet we are bashed like of the most hated. Yes, we have already won and this year has been the most fun in the history of my 19 years following. But man I want this one bad. The program deserves it, the guys deserve it, Few deserves it, those who have come through the program deserve it. Lets goo!!

HOF post!

2:20AM, over-full plate of tasks to complete at work tomorrow. Normally, when I can't sleep because my mind starts chewing on the nuts & bolts of items to do at work and how best to accomplish them, I start feeling anxiety and stress about the fact I really need to get some sleep so I can be ready and rested for work. Right now, no stress. No matter how my workday goes I'll be watching Zags vs UNC in the NCAA championship game!! All is well.

Zagger
04-03-2017, 01:53 AM
I've got a strong feeling Rem will be playing in this game :) ..... by design and/or along with others from the bench! Go Zags!

caduceus
04-03-2017, 04:37 AM
Anybody remember this‽‽‽‽‽‽‽‽‽

http://i.imgur.com/YIBS0YW.gif

Przemek Karnowski for another GONZAGA THREEEeeeee!

zagsfanforlife
04-03-2017, 06:02 AM

Imagine if on some fluke play Shem hit the game winning 3 for the National Championship...

TexasZagFan
04-03-2017, 06:22 AM
Imagine if on some fluke play Shem hit the game winning 3 for the National Championship...

I better be next to an urgent care center if that were to come to fruition.

scott257
04-03-2017, 07:10 AM

How many 3s has Shem made in the course of his career? Further, how many has he attempted? If I remember correctly, he hit a three against Baylor 3 or 4 years back. He just may have the best career 3 point percentage for the team.

Coach Crazy
04-03-2017, 07:30 AM

I have had a thought similar to this. As far as Shem getting the ball and being the player to take that 3.

Coach Crazy
04-03-2017, 07:33 AM
Nothing will be the same after tonight, guys. Enjoy these last, fleeting moments of the however long this ride has been for you. A new epoch will begin, tomorrow. An interesting feeling/set of feelings. Hopefully we've all savored the experience adequately.

former1dog
04-03-2017, 07:36 AM
How many 3s has Shem made in the course of his career? Further, how many has he attempted? If I remember correctly, he hit a three against Baylor 3 or 4 years back. He just may have the best career 3 point percentage for the team.

Karnowski has attempted and made the only 3 point field goal attempt in his college basketball career.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/62585/przemek-karnowski

krii
04-03-2017, 07:44 AM
Karnowski has attempted and made the only 3 point field goal attempt in his college basketball career.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/62585/przemek-karnowski

He had 1/3 in his college career. One in 2013/14 (@Memphis), one in 2014/15 (@Portland) and one this season (Iowa State). Still, .300 career shooting isn't bad ;-)

MontanaCoyote
04-03-2017, 10:25 AM

Man, I sure do! Smooth, too! "And the crowd went wild!"

scott257
04-03-2017, 11:14 AM
He had 1/3 in his college career. One in 2013/14 (@Memphis), one in 2014/15 (@Portland) and one this season (Iowa State). Still, .300 career shooting isn't bad ;-)

This is the best thing about this board - if you need an answer about something like this it is almost guaranteed that someone knows the answer!

TexasZagFan
04-03-2017, 11:26 AM
This is the best thing about this board - if you need an answer about something like this it is almost guaranteed that someone knows the answer!

More often than not, it's the correct answer! :lmao:

LongIslandZagFan
04-03-2017, 11:30 AM
I am content with any outcome tonight. I am so proud of what this team has accomplished and I am truly happy for them. I am sad that we will be watching the ends of Shem, Jordan, and Rem's careers... but I am so glad they got to play in the most possible games their senior season. They move on into Zag-lore... laying three more bricks into the foundation of Gonzaga basketball.

jazzdelmar
04-03-2017, 11:34 AM
I am content with any outcome tonight. I am so proud of what this team has accomplished and I am truly happy for them. I am sad that we will be watching the ends of Shem, Jordan, and Rem's careers... but I am so glad they got to play in the most possible games their senior season. They move on into Zag-lore... laying three more bricks into the foundation of Gonzaga basketball.

Im with you LIZF.......

TexasZagFan
04-03-2017, 11:41 AM

Not to rain on the parade, but I think tonight's game is the last we'll see Nigel and Zach in a Zags uniform. Selfishly, I hope they both come back. These two roommates put on a show for NBA GMs last Saturday, and I'm sure they'll put an exclamation point on it tonight.

Zags11
04-03-2017, 12:05 PM
Not to rain on the parade, but I think tonight's game is the last we'll see Nigel and Zach in a Zags uniform. Selfishly, I hope they both come back. These two roommates put on a show for NBA GMs last Saturday, and I'm sure they'll put an exclamation point on it tonight.

I'm leaning towards this as well.

LongIslandZagFan
04-03-2017, 12:11 PM
I am OK with that too... Putting two into the NBA in one year would be huge for the program. Also think this is going to change recruiting forever.

zagfan24
04-03-2017, 12:16 PM
I am OK with that too... Putting two into the NBA in one year would be huge for the program. Also think this is going to change recruiting forever.

Yep, for so many reasons: Increased exposure. No more "can't get to the final weekend" argument. Media highlighting the cohesiveness of the program and the success of Witnessing the glory of the Zag community. The Zags have "broken the seal" so to speak and will also no longer be battling the pressure and stigma of years' past. They'll also have the added experience and knowhow of what the Final 4 is like and how to manage being there (for the full weekend!!).

sittingon50
04-03-2017, 02:00 PM

I was fortunate enough to be at that one thanks to 75Zag!!