PDA

View Full Version : I'll never forget what Doug Gotlieb said 3/24/06 after UCLA collapse for GU.

demian
04-02-2017, 09:27 AM
After we lost the game to Ucla in sweet 16 3/24/16, Doug Gottlieb (who was working for espn at the time) came on the air on post game highlight show and Gottlieb said "I feel so bad for Gonzaga, this loss is absolutely devastating for Gonzaga. this was there best chance they will ever have to get to a Final 4!!! Gonzaga is never gonna have another player like Adam Morrison, they are never gonna have a better chance to get to the final 4 than they did this year."

I remember at that time when I heard Gotlieb say that, I actually said to myself "he's probably right, we will never have another player as good as Morrison! We probably never will get to a final 4."

Prior to 2016/2017 season We have never recruited anybody like Morrison since and we hadn't reached a final four either. So Gotlieb was correct in those two points for 11 years.

But in 2006 after that collapse I don't think anybody could've predicted we would be able to recruit the national and international talent we currently are recruiting (not to mention the transfer phenomena). It is unreal the collection of talent Mark Few and staff amassed for this season. Gotlieb, myself and I'm sure most people in 2006 NEVER would have assumed Gonzaga could recruit and amass the overall roster depth they have. Myself and Gotlieb and most probably thought for a mid major to reach final 4 we needed a Larry Bird/Adam Morrison type of player to carry us because we just may never have the overall depth of the power teams. Man we're we wrong. I still can't believe this roster and how great it is. What an amazing TEAM. I can not wait until ESPN makes a 30 for 30 show on Gonzaga basketball, that will be an epic documentary

MJ777
04-02-2017, 10:56 AM
Great post demian. Who could blame anyone for holding the same opinion as Gottlieb? What GU has accomplished is Amazing.

OT: I flipped the channel to Celtics v. Knicks on ABC and I saw Kelly and Ron Baker on the court playing against each other. I wonder if Baker congratulated Kelly or if he ribbed him about 2013.

CdAZagFan
04-02-2017, 11:05 AM
Interesting post... It almost seems that by NOT having that one transcendent player, this team has become more successful. If we had only one or two options that defenses needed to shut down, I don't believe we would be in this position.

bartruff1
04-02-2017, 11:07 AM
Try as I might, for the life of me, I cannot remember a single thing that Doug as ever said....

75Zag
04-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Yesterday's victory almost erased the feelings of pain and hopelessness that I felt after the UCLA loss as I rode the Alumni Association bus from the Oakland Arena back to the country club that hosted the pre-game event. Did I read correctly the other day that coach Daniels was one of the assistants for UCLA when they beat us in Oakland? Had I known that earlier I might have had to invest in a VooDoo doll in his image and a couple hundred pins.

Go Bulldogs!

rijman
04-02-2017, 11:53 AM
That UCLA loss still stings, but I feel the same that the recent success is almost erasing that pain.

jazzdelmar
04-02-2017, 12:26 PM
What about his Ammo comment? Sabonis is a may have been, Collins, Kelly? Stereo Doug might be right on that one still.

MJ777
04-02-2017, 12:40 PM
I just heard Gottlieb on the radio. He said that the SC-GU game was reffed well except for a couple of calls at the end. He didn't specify which calls. But he didn't mention the no call on the face smash in the 1st half.

jazzdelmar
04-02-2017, 12:43 PM
I just heard Gottlieb on the radio. He said that the SC-GU game was reffed well except for a couple of calls at the end. He didn't specify which calls. But he didn't mention the no call on the face smash in the 1st half.

It's futile to look for love and even respect from Stereo Doug. He's just a ratings, clicks whore.

demian
04-02-2017, 01:19 PM
Great post demian. Who could blame anyone for holding the same opinion as Gottlieb? What GU has accomplished is Amazing.

OT: I flipped the channel to Celtics v. Knicks on ABC and I saw Kelly and Ron Baker on the court playing against each other. I wonder if Baker congratulated Kelly or if he ribbed him about 2013.

Hey thanks man.

demian
04-02-2017, 01:20 PM
Interesting post... It almost seems that by NOT having that one transcendent player, this team has become more successful. If we had only one or two options that defenses needed to shut down, I don't believe we would be in this position.

Yeah I agree it is amazing what we have on this team

demian
04-02-2017, 01:21 PM
Yesterday's victory almost erased the feelings of pain and hopelessness that I felt after the UCLA loss as I rode the Alumni Association bus from the Oakland Arena back to the country club that hosted the pre-game event. Did I read correctly the other day that coach Daniels was one of the assistants for UCLA when they beat us in Oakland? Had I known that earlier I might have had to invest in a VooDoo doll in his image and a couple hundred pins.

Go Bulldogs!

I agree I had that same feeling of pain and hopelessness you speak of after that ucla loss

demian
04-02-2017, 01:22 PM
That UCLA loss still stings, but I feel the same that the recent success is almost erasing that pain.

I agree with you guys that yesterday "ALMOST" erases the sting of the ucla loss

demian
04-02-2017, 01:23 PM
What about his Ammo comment? Sabonis is a may have been, Collins, Kelly? Stereo Doug might be right on that one still.

Yeah I think Gotlieb is still correct on that ammo comment

demian
04-02-2017, 01:24 PM

How anybody could say that game was reffed well is beyond me.

demian
04-02-2017, 01:26 PM
It's futile to look for love and even respect from Stereo Doug. He's just a ratings, clicks whore.

I like Gotlieb actually