PDA

View Full Version : Few 2

Birddog
04-02-2017, 09:18 AM
Can we forever drop the reference to Few 32? I'm hoping Few 2 will only be a temporary name as well. Several on this board in years past have railed sometimes passively, sometimes aggressively, and sometimes passively aggressively about Few and his coaching abilities. Consistently in the pressers the players have referenced how well the coaches have prepared the team for each and every game. Do you think they might know something we as posters don't? IMO the coaching staff has done an incredible job and I for one don't think it just started this year. The building process to get where GU is today started over 2 decades ago. Hats off to Fewie and the staff, they have done something incredible, and Few did it "his way". It's almost beyond comprehension that GU will be playing for the NC
Go Few
Go staff
GO ZAGS

dhozagfan08
04-02-2017, 10:03 AM
I have always been critical of Few's in game coaching. It's obvious to me that he has evolved. I can't recal one time in the tournament this year where I found myself saying "what are you doing?!" Like I have in years past. Great play calling, taking timeouts when we need them, making good adjustments and substitutions...he truly deserved coach of the year. I keep reminding people that Melson and perkins are the only contributors from last years team. Amazing!

gonzagafan62
04-02-2017, 10:08 AM
I thought this was dropped when we went to Elite Eight 2 years ago, and certainly when we went to sweet sixteen last year

CdAZagFan
04-02-2017, 10:40 AM
Great post... Few has been tremendous this year. And the players have done a great job just executing the game plan every game.

MJ777
04-02-2017, 11:04 AM
If they don't come out victorious tomorrow I expect someone on the board will be bashing Few.

MickMick
04-02-2017, 11:10 AM
I have always been consistent with the following statement.

"I wouldn't swap Mark Few for any coach in the land."

I believed it 15 years ago, 10 years ago, 5 years ago, and I especially believe it now.

No one has done more with less. He finally gets to work with "more".

30+ years. He built this house. He was there when the foundation was laid. It wasn't handed to him.

bartruff1
04-02-2017, 11:10 AM
I just figured the people that did that were jerks and trying to insult or minimize a remarkable coach and his records..

B Wayne
04-02-2017, 11:23 AM
I loved this game thread post late in the second half in the Sweet 16 game against West Virginia

"And now we miss a wide open lay up to take the lead

This team will never make a FF under Mark Few"

Some people just get hysterical.

BobZag
04-02-2017, 11:39 AM
Like "The Magnificent 7."

MDABE80
04-02-2017, 11:48 AM
If it went by without notice, Few had set up a key call which gave us a victory yesterday whether Tillie made his free throws or not. He coached a brilliant game. Strategy and tactics were pretty flawless. One more to go.

seacatfan
04-02-2017, 11:57 AM
I haven't seen any reference to "Few 32" in quite some time. As 62 notes, 2 straight years of getting past the 1st weekend seemed to take care of that. Now make it 3 straight years and an appearance in the Title Game, that previous moniker is a relic.

krozman
04-02-2017, 11:59 AM
Can we forever drop the reference to Few 32?

It hasn't been more than a passing comment this entire season. So congrats Birddog, you're complaining about something you single handedly brought back. Irony!

Mantua
04-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Few 1 sounds good.

jazzdelmar
04-02-2017, 12:41 PM
Few32 retired years ago.

Only mantra now: Beat NC for NC!

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-02-2017, 02:03 PM
I'm hoping that the mantra will become the Few 38, as in, "38-1."

DixieZag
04-02-2017, 02:11 PM
Few has coached masterfully through this tournament, from WVU - finding easy baskets early, little trouble with the break, to the great defense, and yesterday's last 5 minutes was just perfect. Love how he's thrown in the zone from time to time, the full court press to leak time bringing the ball up yesterday, Josh fouling at the single most perfect time.

Just masterful.

Zags11
04-02-2017, 02:43 PM
Few is has evolved and gotten better at in game calls. I still don't like losing 12+ leads in march but can't be perfect. The same people who say few32 are just like the ppl who think few can do no wrong.

We are going to the title game. Zero negativity I'm doing.

freejoe69
04-02-2017, 02:58 PM
I have always been critical of Few's in game coaching. It's obvious to me that he has evolved. I can't recal one time in the tournament this year where I found myself saying "what are you doing?!" Like I have in years past. Great play calling, taking timeouts when we need them, making good adjustments and substitutions...he truly deserved coach of the year. I keep reminding people that Melson and perkins are the only contributors from last years team. Amazing!

I'm sure he's relieved that you approve now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B Wayne
04-02-2017, 03:31 PM

I suggest that Few's coaching hasn't "evolved" as you state. Rather, some fans observations have evolved as the result of hindsight bias. In other words, when he has a better team and the Zags win more often, fans don't whine as much. Hindsight is 50/50. I wonder how many of these supposed coaching errors were simply the result of what iffing after a loss.

But when his past teams aren't at quite the same level as this years team, and God forbid the Zags would lose a few games, Monday morning quarterback fans would whine and say "We lost, the coach must have done something wrong and if he had done this or that different we might have won." You hear that kind of drivel on sports talk shows all the time. It's easy to criticize after the results of a decision are known.

I think that for at least the last 5 years his coaching tactics are much the same. He just has a better team than past years. Anyone disagree?

Birddog
04-02-2017, 04:26 PM
I think that for at least the last 5 years his coaching tactics are much the same. He just has a better team than past years. Anyone disagree?
No disagreement from me, I think you nailed it.

DixieZag
04-02-2017, 04:55 PM
I suggest that Few's coaching hasn't "evolved" as you state. Rather, some fans observations have evolved as the result of hindsight bias. In other words, when he has a better team and the Zags win more often, fans don't whine as much. Hindsight is 50/50. I wonder how many of these supposed coaching errors were simply the result of what iffing after a loss.

But when his past teams aren't at quite the same level as this years team, and God forbid the Zags would lose a few games, Monday morning quarterback fans would whine and say "We lost, the coach must have done something wrong and if he had done this or that different we might have won." You hear that kind of drivel on sports talk shows all the time. It's easy to criticize after the results of a decision are known.

Yep. I do.

I am not going to pretend to ever have known 5% of the BB he does and has. Here's what I know, show me anything about anyone who is any good at all at what they do - especially a middle aged man - who isn't much better at their job with 20 years of experience versus the first five years.

You picked last 5 years as some random number. I think you're right in that he has had much better players. Is that because 8 years ago he decided to get more personally involved in recruiting? That's straight from his mouth. Is it b/c he's letting guys freelance more? I saw that on TV straight from his mouth. Is it that he's looser on the sideline? Those of us that have watched every game for the last 15 years seem to sense that.

It's a tribute to him. I think the purity thing is kind of tired. I think he is much better b/c he's sought out the advice (also heard from his mouth) of the "elders" and I think that's the real tribute to the man and the coach.

Mantua
04-02-2017, 05:33 PM

We don't know how he would have coached a complete balanced team with depth and athleticism. Some of our biggest stars on past promising teams were not athletic and did not play good consistent defense. We've had some good leaders on past teams but none as effective as NWG. Over the years I've disagreed with his coaching decisions here and there, however, I don't have a lustrous coaching career and Mark Few does. He's done so much with the limitations he has had and has steadily built Gonzaga's program into a national contender. Are Kansas, Duke, Arizona, UCLA, Oregon and Villanova fans picking apart their coaches right now? Are BYU fans doubting Rose? Why are we having this discussion now at the heights of success we've never before reached? I do think he is coaching this team differently. We've never seen the half court game played with so much cutting and passing or the defense played at a high level.

dhozagfan08
04-02-2017, 06:28 PM

Wow, i was writing a happy, positive post, and a couple of you had to turn it into an negative thing. Too bad.

jim77
04-02-2017, 06:38 PM
I have always been consistent with the following statement.

"I wouldn't swap Mark Few for any coach in the land."

I believed it 15 years ago, 10 years ago, 5 years ago, and I especially believe it now.

No one has done more with less. He finally gets to work with "more".

30+ years. He built this house. He was there when the foundation was laid. It wasn't handed to him.

YUP

jpn17
04-02-2017, 06:47 PM
We don't know how he would have coached a complete balanced team with depth and athleticism. Some of our biggest stars on past promising teams were not athletic and did not play good consistent defense. We've had some good leaders on past teams but none as effective as NWG. Over the years I've disagreed with his coaching decisions here and there, however, I don't have a lustrous coaching career and Mark Few does. He's done so much with the limitations he has had and has steadily built Gonzaga's program into a national contender. Are Kansas, Duke, Arizona, UCLA, Oregon and Villanova fans picking apart their coaches right now? Are BYU fans doubting Rose? Why are we having this discussion now at the heights of success we've never before reached? I do think he is coaching this team differently. We've never seen the half court game played with so much cutting and passing or the defense played at a high level.

I agree with your sentiment, that said I know for sure that Arizona and BYU fans have hit Sean Miller and Dave Rose respectively with quite a bit of criticism.

As for Few, I never saw the Few 32 thing as the insult it was intended to be. How many programs in the entire country can aspire to reaching the NCAA tournament every single year, let alone win their first game? The list is very short. Sure we all wanted the team to go farther, but the fact of the matter is there are almost no coaches who would have propelled Gonzaga to the heights they had reached 10 years ago and then of the ones who could have done it, even less would have stuck around. We got so damn lucky that we had Mark Few. And as Gonzaga maintained success and the budget increased, Gonzaga was able to do more. Get better facilities, get better recruits etc. And the team did better and better. Top seeds and sending guys to the NBA. It's amazing what Mark Few has done here, something that I don't know anyone else in the country could have accomplished. And Few is not perfect. I will admit I have been puzzled by some of his moves in the past. But over the last few years I do think he has progressed as an in game coach as well. Better with X's and O's, better with adjustments, both to counter what the other team is doing and switching things up to throw the other team off. It's been so much fun over the last 25 years watching this team work its way up to the top of the WCC, then work its way into being a tournament team, and now finally working its way toward being a championship team. It might happen this year and it might not, but I do believe that Gonzaga will win an NCAA championship while Few is here. And I am going to enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts. Because little Jesuit schools, from podunk Spokane all the way up there in Alaska don't do this.