PDA

View Full Version : Ever notice?

sage
04-02-2017, 08:27 AM
When the talking heads review a Zag game, they say something like the opposing teams hero "had an off night". Seems odd that in 35+ games the opposing hero in nearly every game had an "off night" .... yeah right...

Radbooks
04-02-2017, 08:45 AM
Yep, I've noticed that too! Ticks me off.

HRZag
04-02-2017, 09:00 AM
And the other team had an "off night" shooting as well. Hmmm, seems to be a pattern. Like 45 or 46 straight games we have outshot our opponents.

Ezag
04-02-2017, 09:01 AM
Yup no respect for our defense one bit. Even before the SC game all they talked about was how great SC's defense was....hmmm odd that the #2 defense was considered better than the #1, at least that is how it seemed. This is every bit east coast, conference bias and tourney bias because our victories were not deemed as big as theirs.

ZagOD7540
04-02-2017, 09:05 AM
It was stated before the game that Thornwell was 100%. However, during the game it was said he "sure didn't have any bounce" or "he's just not himself". Wow-please don't give the Zags D any credit! Keep sleeping on that Zag D for one more game!

JPtheBeasta
04-02-2017, 09:24 AM
It was stated before the game that Thornwell was 100%. However, during the game it was said he "sure didn't have any bounce" or "he's just not himself". Wow-please don't give the Zags D any credit! Keep sleeping on that Zag D for one more game!

He said it himself in the post game press conference that he was fine.

Kornheiser on PTI said that GU was beatable because WV almost beat them despite shooting 20-something % from the field- without recognizing that GU might have had anything to do with the poor shooting. I agree that the bias pointed to in the OP is pervasive.

Marcus
04-02-2017, 09:27 AM

Took the words right out of my mouth. He was by all accounts good to go and reported to look "bouncy" and energetic at practice. That was until he was having trouble getting to his spots and getting good shot opportunities. Then it went back to he had the flu and just had low energy.

Marcus
04-02-2017, 09:30 AM
The only one I heard giving props to the Zags D was Clark Kellog. He mentioned it more then once that the Zags D was a difference maker and rated higher then the SC defence.

Bocco
04-02-2017, 10:00 AM
I've gotten to the point I don't care. If they are too dumb to pay attention to the fact that the Zags have held their opponents to a lower shooting percentage than their season average, that the best player on the opponents team is held to fewer points than their season average - their stupidity is their problem.....and I'm smart enough to know that most of them have no idea what they are talking about.

ProVeeZag
04-02-2017, 10:09 AM
I've gotten to the point I don't care. If they are too dumb to pay attention to the fact that the Zags have held their opponents to a lower shooting percentage than their season average, that the best player on the opponents team is held to fewer points than their season average - their stupidity is their problem.....and I'm smart enough to know that most of them have no idea what they are talking about.

Me too, the only revenge is on the scoreboard. You can't fix "stupid"!

sage
04-02-2017, 10:15 AM
Any one sent a tweet to Walton mentioning that teams in the "conference of champions "were at the bus stop and the "little sisters of the poor " took a plane to Phoenix? ?

Sorry, could resist....

MDABE80
04-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Some guys on this Zag board are more in touch with the facts of collgiate basketbal than the announcers. All the time these "professionals" are just wrong or they issue inaccurate facts. I've become used to it. The writers souldn't be but the "faces" who broadcast, in general, miss a few things. Bilas is among the better "faces" in his accuracy. DIckie V? not so much..he is the "show".
Overall though, these guys have been decent.
Tell you all what: With roughly 24 hrs to go in this wonderful season AND with the biggest game in program history right around the corner, who cares if these guys are accurate. They aren't. We know it.
GAME on. I don't care about anything else but the UNC game.............but that's just me.

Birddog
04-02-2017, 10:23 AM
Some guys on this Zag board are more in touch with the facts of collgiate basketbal than the announcers. All the time these "professionals" are just wrong or they issue inaccurate facts. I've become used to it. The writers souldn't be but the "faces" who broadcast, in general, miss a few things. Bilas is among the better "faces" in his accuracy. DIckie V? not so much..he is the "show".
Overall though, these guys have been decent.
Tell you all what: With roughly 24 hrs to go in this wonderful season AND with the biggest game in program history right around the corner, who cares if these guys are accurate. They aren't. We know it.
GAME on. I don't care about anything else but the UNC game.............but that's just me.

The talking heads have all the analytics available but they most often rely on their own personal "eye test" which is entirely subjective. Actually that's understandable, it's just human nature. Too bad they don't have the equivalent of a "bubble echo" to help them out.

Zag365
04-02-2017, 10:34 AM
When the talking heads review a Zag game, they say something like the opposing teams hero "had an off night". Seems odd that in 35+ games the opposing hero in nearly every game had an "off night" .... yeah right...

Agree that this undertone comes up way more than it should. Another variation is in too many headlines along the lines of "Zags Escape USC" but "UNC Survives OR," subtly implying that GU somehow got lucky and won whereas UNC handled a pesky bunch of Ducks. I thought the ESPN post-game focus on the Frank Martin/USC disappointing loss vs. limited emphasis on Zags remarkable win was another tilt in direction of national skepticism that Zags deservedly win big games vs. Zags win because opponents have a bad night.

seacatfan
04-02-2017, 10:48 AM
Charles Barkley is a Zags' fan. I don't know how much he's been talking about their defense specifically but he's been consistently backing the Zags during the round table sessions w/ various talking heads.

seacatfan
04-02-2017, 10:50 AM
Any one sent a tweet to Walton mentioning that teams in the "conference of champions "were at the bus stop and the "little sisters of the poor " took a plane to Phoenix? ?

Sorry, could resist....

Oregon is from the Pac 12 and they were in Phoenix last night as well.

bartruff1
04-02-2017, 11:15 AM
I don't remember ever hearing anyone say that...to the contrary they always say that Gonzaga is leading the nation in several defensive statistics ....and in several offensive statistics......and are the only team that was...

stevet75
04-02-2017, 12:18 PM
I don't remember ever hearing anyone say that...to the contrary they always say that Gonzaga is leading the nation in several defensive statistics ....and in several offensive statistics......and are the only team that was...

You must be turning the sound off when you watch the game.:)

soccerdud
04-02-2017, 12:25 PM

Sorry, could resist....

https://twitter.com/the_zag/status/848407025377660929

sage
04-02-2017, 01:10 PM
https://twitter.com/the_zag/status/848407025377660929

I LOVE it!!!

Now if all twitter followers will just "like it" about a million times (sorry but I don't do Those types of sites and can't. Might be worth joining just so I can)

basketballzag
04-02-2017, 01:21 PM
Charles Barkley is a Zags' fan. I don't know how much he's been talking about their defense specifically but he's been consistently backing the Zags during the round table sessions w/ various talking heads.

Barkley has been following the Zags since the season opener this year. I believe he and Donny are friends.

DixieZag
04-02-2017, 01:44 PM

And one reason that I like that is that he lives much of the year in Phoenix and talks about watching the games in the evenings, so he's more familiar with us, and thus greater appreciation. He's had us winning it all for a while.

For the Vitale folks (I don't mind him), he had us against UNC in the national championship back in November, based on what he saw. That's not all that bad a prediction. He did have UNC winning - we'll see. It's a pick\em game.

MontanaCoyote
04-02-2017, 03:13 PM

I don't care any more either, but I'd sure like to vent in one of these guy's face for 3 minutes.

CanadianZagsFan
04-02-2017, 03:38 PM
Ever notice ...<<GREAT THREAD NAME BTW

That on podcasts guys are like "I was watching this game actually ..." referencing Gonzaga game-- Sweet 16-Elite 8 game-Even yesterday game !?

Wow thanks lol.