PDA

View Full Version : UNC Scouting Report from a Tar Heel

DeanSmithForever
04-02-2017, 03:15 AM
UNC fan here; as noted in another thread, I really like Coach Fee and the Gonzaga brand in general. You guys have a good thing going in basketball and are a real powerhouse at this point. Here are some match up details for your benefit and also in the hopes I can get a better picture of Gonzaga in return.

The Obvious: We like to play fast, we are deep, and we rebound extremely well. We struggle with excellent dribble penetration, and that is compounded when the other team's guards are very good at kicking out to three point shooters, because we overhelp something fierce. Our bigs are skilled, with nice post moves and excellent jump shots in the 8-10 foot range. These typical UNC scouting report insights are true this year as well.

The Subtle (I.e. some nuggets about UNC):

1. This is probably the best half court team in the Roy Williams era, actually posting better offensive numbers in half court sets than on the fastbreak (really strange for UNC), and winning most of our games when there are low scores or fewer possessions (usually a big weakness). Unfortunately, we have been much weaker in high possession games than is usual.

2. We are extremely good at passing the ball, with some of the best assist numbers of any Roy Williams team (and some of the best in the country). This is an extremely unselfish, teammate oriented squad. That said, we played poorly against zone this year. We have improved against zone the last 5 weeks with Pinson back from his preseason injury (he is definitely our best passer). However, I would still say we have more trouble with zone than man.

3. Bigs: UNC doesn't block a ton of shots down low. Even so, our bigs are excellent at guarding other bigs in the paint and not giving up many second chance opportunities to teams who rely on offensive rebounds. We hardly ever get beat by a big man scoring in the low post, and it is why we are a top 20 defensive team this year. That said, UNC has struggled with stretch fours that can drive; Hicks can guard them somewhat, but then gets in foul trouble. Maye can also guard them somewhat, but likewise can pick up cheapies. The biggest weakness of our bigs and the way to beat our strong post presence is to attack the UNC bigs with guards; our guards often struggle against dribble penetration from opponents, and once the guards get beat, our bigs pick up fouls. This scenario happens way too much.

4 UNC is a much better shooting team from deep this year; this was one of our better shooting teams from deep (about 38%) in the last ten years until the last month when Jackson had a little slump and since Berry hurt his ankle and can't hit a thing after being a terrific shooter all year (as a result, UNC is down to 36% from deep as a team for the season). At 6'8" and with terrific speed for cuts, Justin Jackman is virtually unguardable when his deep ball is going in. Joel Berry is also a great three point shooter if healthy, and Nate Britt shoots a better percentage than people realize. Luke Maye is our only stretch four that shoots the deep ball well, but he can really stroke it if left open. Unless he is wide open, cheer when Pinson shoots threes and long twos.

5. Dribble Penetration: this team has really struggled with guards who can break you down one on one with the dribble. Virtually every team that beat us had a guy who tore us up on dribble penetration. Berry had ankles issues for several of those losses that affected his lateral movement, and he appears to have the same issue right now he did earlier in the year; he struggles going backwards with lateral movement when his ankle isn't full strength. Pinson has really helped on defense here as well since coming back from his injury, but he is prone to picking up fouls. This could be a key advantage for the Gonzaga if they can take advantage.

6. Physical Teams: We sometimes struggle with teams that can push our guards around. For instance, if Jackson is missing threes, and you are physical with him on his drives, he can have poor shooting nights.

7. Secondary Break: Our fast break sometimes gives us easy initial points, but the main strength of UNC's fast pace is more subtle: establishing our bigs in the low post by beating the other team's bigs down the floor. It is very important your bigs run back hard on defense and beat UNC bigs to the low post, as the initial break isn't the only key; once we have the block secured, we often get easy shots at the rim, lots of offensive rebounds, and get the other team's bigs in foul trouble. Beat our bigs down the floor, and it will help you slow down our offensive rebounding. If you don't, we will live off of the offensive glass and in the paint.

8. Joel Berry's ankle: he is the engine that makes us go, and we drop off when he is out of the game. We drop off even more when he and Jackson are both out of the game. If his ankle is bothering him, we are likely toast.

9. Defense: unless Berry gets in foul trouble, you will likely see very little zone. We only rarely double a big down low since Meeks is such an excellent individual defender and since we value snatching boards and keeping the other team off the glass by having the other big in rebounding position rather than doubling the shooter. Pinson will likely guard NWG and provide excellent defense like he did against Fox due to his length and athleticism. Just my opinion, but I don't think UNC loses but three or four games had he been healthy all year. That said, NWG can get him in foul trouble as long as he drives instead of settles for long two's and threes, and he is so good, I expect NWG will still make an impact on the game.

Summary: (1) Get defensive rebounds, (2) stop our primary and (especially) secondary break (a big key to stopping our rebounding), (3) play physical on D, and (4) get dribble penetration, then either draw fouls or kick out for open threes. That's the magic formula. Do at least three of those, and you likely beat UNC.

If you have any questions about UNC, feel free to ask. Any information about Gonzaga is appreciated!

While I hope we win, if we lose I will be happy for Coach Few. Monday should be fun!

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-02-2017, 03:54 AM
Wow...great breakdown DSF and great name. Welcome to GUBoard and thanks for posting.

Don't have the time to attempt a comparable breakdown of our Zags for you but will say a few things in response to your excellent summary.

1) Karnowski is a mountain of a man but he hustles his ass off too. I think he can do his part to keep Meeks from beating him down court and getting deep post position. That'll be fun to watch for.
2) Pinson's size and athleticism vs NWG will be another great matchup to watch. Zags do a great job of having bigs set high screens and allow NWG to rub his defender off and create space. He may not be as athletic as Pinson but he's our best at penetrating into the lane and making the right decision.
3) How Zags deal with Justin Jackson is my biggest concern. We don't have size at the 3. I'm guessing Zags will get up under him and force him to put the ball on the floor, but he is great getting into the lane and setting up his teammates or just scoring himself. Zags have played more zone in this tourney then they had all season, but to me that's not a solution to Jackson's matchup advantage because you guys will gobble up offensive rebounds vs a zone.

Should be a great game. Enjoy!!

MTZag03
04-02-2017, 06:10 AM
If UNC likes to play straight up interior defense, would GU benefit more from playing Karnowski and Collins one at a time, or both at the same time which was so effective last night?

Zag365
04-02-2017, 06:23 AM
I haven't watched UNC except in game highlights (West Coast bias! who knew), so your breakdown is much appreciated. Based on your summary, it seems like we have similar strengths and weaknesses. If dribble drive penetration is key to beating UNC, I don't think we excel enough in that area to count on it as our primary weapon. So, we need our bigs to at least play even with UNC and hopefully a little better. If JWIII is able to find seams and collect rebounds, it will throw a big wrench in UNC's frontcourt game (based on your description of UNC's strengths).

We have been good at running teams off the 3pt line while (generally) being effective in creating opportunities for ourselves. If we neutralize/slightly outplay UNC's frontcourt (which I think we are very capable of doing), I believe the game will come down to our overall backcourt play (off. and def.) vs. yours. FT % will likely be a factor. I see from box score that approx. 25% of your points against Oregon came at the charity stripe.

Murphy outgo lifer
04-02-2017, 06:25 AM
Thank you very much for your post. I will try to give you some general insights in to our team as well as try to address whether any of the weaknesses of NC will be able to be exploited by Gonzaga.

First of all we love to play an up-tempo style and rarely ever use the full shot clock with our possessions. We have a solid 8 man rotation that we have used all year but we can go 9 or 10 deep (6'8 and 6'6 athletic wings that are limited offensively) in case of foul trouble. Our offense is centered on an inside out approach mostly with Karnowski which forces people to choose whether to go one on one and have Karnowski score almost at will or double him and have him utilize his excellent passing skills to pick apart a defense.

It sounds like NC will have the bigs to play Karnowski straight up which will make for an interesting battle. In general, however, Karnowski plays big physical post players very well including both offensively and defensively. Zach Collins and Jonathan Williams III can also post up and are effective. They are way more athletic than Karnowski and can both shoot 3's with relative success if they are left open and both are great shot blockers (Collins more so). Zach and Williams are also good rebounders and we will need them to grab a lot of boards for us to be successful, however, they - along with our other bigs - are not always consistent which has led to offensive rebound problems in the past. Tillie is our 4th big off the bench and he brings a lot of energy and does a lot of the little things but he is not a stat sheet stuffer. We have been playing Collins and Tillie at the end of games because Karnowski and Williams III struggle with free-throws.

Thus, rebounding and free-throws will be critical for us to be successful in this game and have been issues for us in our close games and only loss this year.

Our offense the whole year was extremely balanced and focused on multiple sets to find the best scoring option which we did to perfection most of the time through unselfish ball movement and great passing. We could drive, all of our guards could hit consistently from 3, and we could drop it off to our post players depending on what the defense gave us. Basically, it was pick your poison and we could beat people in a multitude of ways with no apparent weakness on offense.

However, after our lone loss of the season our guards got collectively cold from the outside which changed the whole dynamic of our offense and allowed other teams to pack the paint on our bigs – including double and triple teams- and which also cut off driving lanes for our guards. This caused a big downturn in our offensive output, assists, and efficiency. Which forced us to really buckle down with our defense and we have been playing some of our best defense in the tournament as we have really been shutting teams down – including holding their best players well below their point and percentage averages.

Our outside shooting has finally come back the last two games in the tournament and we are shooting close to 50% from 3 and this has gotten us back to a well balanced team and it seems we are clicking at full speed again on offense. But it has been our defense that has allowed us to keep finding ways to win.

In regards to your concerns:

2. We have played a successful zone during the tournament for stretches but mostly because of foul trouble. We are usually a man to man defense and given our rebounding issues combined with NC’s offensive rebounds I would guess that we will be playing man-to-man. But if we are struggling to make stops he might go zone for a different look.

3. In terms of a stretch 4 that can drive we have Jonathan Williams III who has played amazingly this tournament and is a big reason why we are here. He caused a ton of problems for Xavier with his drives, post ups, put backs, alley-oops, and just gritty determination. He will be an interesting match-up for you guys. In regards to guards who can drive, the only consistent performer has been Nigel Williams-Goss, however, he does it very effectively. He has one of the best tear drops I have ever seen and he is very good at breaking down defensives and getting into the lane to either dish it or attack the rim at a high clip.

4. We have been an excellent 3 point defensive team all year but I am concerned who we will have guarding Jackson because we don’t have anyone that matches his size and athleticism save Williams III but you guys do have a two post players that will be required to be guarded by him. He could be the X-Factor for you guys as we have traditionally struggled with players like him.

7. We have a rotation of 4 post players that we can rotate to keep our bigs fresh which I hope will allow us to combat your positioning. I am worried about Karnowski just because he is not super athletic but we do have 3 other very athletic posts that can step-in if needed. Hopefully Karnowski can be effective though because he is such a huge part of what we do.

I actually think we are very similar teams that are both balanced and deep. I have thought the whole year that NC and Gonzaga are the two best teams and I am very much looking forward to this game. I think this game will come down to the last possession and whoever makes a big shot will win.

MickMick
04-02-2017, 06:27 AM
I often read from outsiders that Karnowski is slow.
This is true.
I never read that Karnowski hustles down the court.
Which is also true.

His athleticism is limited but he is doesn't take plays off on the defensive end. His attitude mitigates his liabilities.

willandi
04-02-2017, 06:45 AM
I have tried to combine a list of UNC's 9 deep rotation, starting with players name, position and height, followed by games played, min/game etc.

GAME STATISTICS Pos Hgt GP MIN PPG RPG

Justin Jackson F 6-8 39 31.9 18.3 4.7

Joel Berry II G 6-0 37 30.2 14.5 3.1

Kennedy Meeks F 6-10 39 24.4 12.7 9.4

Isaiah Hicks F 6-9 38 23.1 11.8 5.4

Tony Bradley F 6-10 37 14.5 7.1 5.1

Kenny Williams G 6-4 26 23.7 6.2 3.3

Theo Pinson F 6-5 20 23.5 6.1 4.4

Luke Maye F 6-8 34 14.3 5.7 4.0

Nate Britt G 6-1 39 19.1 4.6 1.8

willandi
04-02-2017, 07:14 AM
And the Zags counter with an 8 man rotation.

Player POS HGT GP MIN PPG RPG

Nigel Williams-Goss G 6-3 37 32.5 16.9 5.9

Josh Perkins G 6-3 37 28.8 8.0 2.3

Jordan Mathews G 6-4 38 27.9 10.8 3.3

Johnathan Williams F 6-9 38 24.3 10.2 6.5

Silas Melson G 6-4 38 24.1 7.3 2.5

Przemek Karnowski C 7-1 38 22.9 12.3 5.8

Zach Collins F 7-0 38 17.3 10.0 5.9

Killian Tillie F 6-10 32 12.3 4.3 3.1

JPtheBeasta
04-02-2017, 07:50 AM
If UNC likes to play straight up interior defense, would GU benefit more from playing Karnowski and Collins one at a time, or both at the same time which was so effective last night?

I loved that lineup.

For me, Jackson is the wild-card. NBA-bound and we don't match up particularly well against him. If we were playing him next year, I think Rui would be the guy to defend him. Since he did score mostly on threes, as pointed out earlier, I agree with making him put the ball on the floor and seeing what happens. I don't like zone because that hides Berry's current lack of mobility a bit and opens us up for the buzz saw that is UNC offensive rebounding.

This is a really fun matchup on paper. Oregon's free-wheeling athleticism, as well as Brooks' propensity for late-game heroics, concerned me a bit. No offense intended toward Oregon, who is a really good team, I thought UNC was the better team and at this point I'd actually like the chance to beat the better team, anyway. I always feel that you should be careful what you wish for, but I am really looking forward to exorcising even more demons this year.

Oh yeah... Thanks, DeanSmithForever, for the lengthy and detailed scouting report. Very cool.

DixieZag
04-02-2017, 08:14 AM
I loved that lineup.

For me, Jackson is the wild-card. NBA-bound and we don't match up particularly well against him. If we were playing him next year, I think Rui would be the guy to defend him. Since he did score mostly on threes, as pointed out earlier, I agree with making him put the ball on the floor and seeing what happens. I don't like zone because that hides Berry's current lack of mobility a bit and opens us up for the buzz saw that is UNC offensive rebounding.

This is a really fun matchup on paper. Oregon's free-wheeling athleticism, as well as Brooks' propensity for late-game heroics, concerned me a bit. No offense intended toward Oregon, who is a really good team, I thought UNC was the better team and at this point I'd actually like the chance to beat the better team, anyway. I always feel that you should be careful what you wish for, but I am really looking forward to exorcising even more demons this year.

Oh yeah... Thanks, DeanSmithForever, for the lengthy and detailed scouting report. Very cool.

I do, too. But, I'm sure weary of taking JWIII out of any game. He has been at least our 2nd best player in the tournament -despite a tough game yesterday - but that line-up was really effective.

As good as Karnowski is, there are some occasions when we're better with Collins in, and I'm not sure I want to give up having JWIII in there, too. They sure give us problems, match-up wise.

bballbeachbum
04-02-2017, 08:21 AM
Zags zoned with the Karno/Collins lineup last night, right? I think they have most of the year when played together though I didn't go research that first before posting.
Hopefully Zag bigs won't have to overcome getting elbowed in the jaw like JWIII did last night or raked in the eye like Karno did last night
can't believe we'll see much zone from the Zags unless maybe fouls force them to it becasue of UNCs o boarding but who knows with this team defensively? it's a different defensive game plan each game

JPtheBeasta
04-02-2017, 09:27 AM
I do, too. But, I'm sure weary of taking JWIII out of any game. He has been at least our 2nd best player in the tournament -despite a tough game yesterday - but that line-up was really effective.

As good as Karnowski is, there are some occasions when we're better with Collins in, and I'm not sure I want to give up having JWIII in there, too. They sure give us problems, match-up wise.

I missed the elbow. That might explain why he disappeared for a while.

cggonzaga
04-02-2017, 09:29 AM
I actually think we could play a lot of zone tomorrow. I don't think Carolina are that great of shooters outside of Jackson and our zone has been very effective at times this year. Should also eliminate the dribble penetration.

DeanSmithForever
04-02-2017, 09:32 AM

I am guessing because you guys played in the WCC and most casual basketball fans don't know the brutal non conference schedule you breezed through that you get a lot of opposing fans who annoyingly say something similar to what I am about to say, lol: I really don't think Gonzaga has faced an interior team like UNC. However, allow me to redeem myself by saying I really don't think UNC has faced an interior team as strong as Gonzaga either, because these two teams are in a class all their own in interior play. I've thought all season long these were the two best inside teams and two of the most similar teams in the country.

To answer your question, usually using two huge bigs against UNC is a bad strategy, and if it was any other team except Gonzaga, I would say you are unlikely to have success using two huge bigs at once. With Gonzaga, I am not sure. We ate Florida State's three 7 foot+ bigs alive when they tried to outsize us because we were able to keep them from scoring on offense and we beat them down the floor to establish our secondary break/offensive rebounds. We also dominated against Louisville when they went with a big line-up down low. However, Gonzaga is a different beast when it comes to interior strength and might be the exception to a strategy that hasn't worked all year against UNC. My observation is Karnowski is a lot better hustler, passer, and court runner than he gets credit for, and Collins is obviously an absolute stud.

bballbeachbum
04-02-2017, 09:37 AM
I missed the elbow. That might explain why he disappeared for a while.

happened early in the game while coming to help defend, took a real shot. Think he got whistled for the foul on that one too but would have to research it to be sure

DeanSmithForever
04-02-2017, 09:41 AM
I actually think we could play a lot of zone tomorrow. I don't think Carolina are that great of shooters outside of Jackson and our zone has been very effective at times this year. Should also eliminate the dribble penetration.

We were a great shooting team (at least I thought) at 38% from deep until about a month ago; since then, we have really cooled down and have been downright awful from deep in the tourney outside of Jackson. I am shocked we have made it this far based on how bad we have shot from deep. My fan perspective is we would have issues against a zone (just like we did against Oregon, especially in the first half) should Few try that strategy.

DeanSmithForever
04-02-2017, 09:43 AM
Thank you very much for your post. I will try to give you some general insights in to our team as well as try to address whether any of the weaknesses of NC will be able to be exploited by Gonzaga.

First of all we love to play an up-tempo style and rarely ever use the full shot clock with our possessions. We have a solid 8 man rotation that we have used all year but we can go 9 or 10 deep (6'8 and 6'6 athletic wings that are limited offensively) in case of foul trouble. Our offense is centered on an inside out approach mostly with Karnowski which forces people to choose whether to go one on one and have Karnowski score almost at will or double him and have him utilize his excellent passing skills to pick apart a defense.

It sounds like NC will have the bigs to play Karnowski straight up which will make for an interesting battle. In general, however, Karnowski plays big physical post players very well including both offensively and defensively. Zach Collins and Jonathan Williams III can also post up and are effective. They are way more athletic than Karnowski and can both shoot 3's with relative success if they are left open and both are great shot blockers (Collins more so). Zach and Williams are also good rebounders and we will need them to grab a lot of boards for us to be successful, however, they - along with our other bigs - are not always consistent which has led to offensive rebound problems in the past. Tillie is our 4th big off the bench and he brings a lot of energy and does a lot of the little things but he is not a stat sheet stuffer. We have been playing Collins and Tillie at the end of games because Karnowski and Williams III struggle with free-throws.

Thus, rebounding and free-throws will be critical for us to be successful in this game and have been issues for us in our close games and only loss this year.

Our offense the whole year was extremely balanced and focused on multiple sets to find the best scoring option which we did to perfection most of the time through unselfish ball movement and great passing. We could drive, all of our guards could hit consistently from 3, and we could drop it off to our post players depending on what the defense gave us. Basically, it was pick your poison and we could beat people in a multitude of ways with no apparent weakness on offense.

However, after our lone loss of the season our guards got collectively cold from the outside which changed the whole dynamic of our offense and allowed other teams to pack the paint on our bigs – including double and triple teams- and which also cut off driving lanes for our guards. This caused a big downturn in our offensive output, assists, and efficiency. Which forced us to really buckle down with our defense and we have been playing some of our best defense in the tournament as we have really been shutting teams down – including holding their best players well below their point and percentage averages.

Our outside shooting has finally come back the last two games in the tournament and we are shooting close to 50% from 3 and this has gotten us back to a well balanced team and it seems we are clicking at full speed again on offense. But it has been our defense that has allowed us to keep finding ways to win.

In regards to your concerns:

2. We have played a successful zone during the tournament for stretches but mostly because of foul trouble. We are usually a man to man defense and given our rebounding issues combined with NC’s offensive rebounds I would guess that we will be playing man-to-man. But if we are struggling to make stops he might go zone for a different look.

3. In terms of a stretch 4 that can drive we have Jonathan Williams III who has played amazingly this tournament and is a big reason why we are here. He caused a ton of problems for Xavier with his drives, post ups, put backs, alley-oops, and just gritty determination. He will be an interesting match-up for you guys. In regards to guards who can drive, the only consistent performer has been Nigel Williams-Goss, however, he does it very effectively. He has one of the best tear drops I have ever seen and he is very good at breaking down defensives and getting into the lane to either dish it or attack the rim at a high clip.

4. We have been an excellent 3 point defensive team all year but I am concerned who we will have guarding Jackson because we don’t have anyone that matches his size and athleticism save Williams III but you guys do have a two post players that will be required to be guarded by him. He could be the X-Factor for you guys as we have traditionally struggled with players like him.

7. We have a rotation of 4 post players that we can rotate to keep our bigs fresh which I hope will allow us to combat your positioning. I am worried about Karnowski just because he is not super athletic but we do have 3 other very athletic posts that can step-in if needed. Hopefully Karnowski can be effective though because he is such a huge part of what we do.

I actually think we are very similar teams that are both balanced and deep. I have thought the whole year that NC and Gonzaga are the two best teams and I am very much looking forward to this game. I think this game will come down to the last possession and whoever makes a big shot will win.

Wow, great breakdown! Us UNC fans are really concerned about NWG and think Ol' Roy will try to focus on stopping him as a distributor and scorer, because our outside opinion is that he is really key to you guys on offense. Jonathan Williams III seems like your team's Pinson; the guy who does lots of little things and is a bit of a secret weapon. (But again, I don't know the Zags like you guys).

CanadianZagsFan
04-02-2017, 09:47 AM

I think there needs to be these lineups vs UNC:

Karn/Collins/JW3/Melson/Goss
Karn/Collins/Tillie/Melson/Goss
Karn/Collins/Rui or Jones/Melson/Goss

Etc

Matthews and Perkins need to be out there but maybe less mins due to size of UNC. Get out there when J Jackson on bench. Need second unit to beat their second unit. I'd consider playing one of or both Perkins/Matthews with young bench moreso. Melson could earn start here if I was coach - Rui/Jones matching up on Jackson for few mins. Stopping Jackson is the KEY or slowing him down at very least. Throw every fresh body you can at Jackson in his shooting pocket/dominant dribbling hip.

soccerdud
04-02-2017, 09:49 AM

Offensive rebounds. Our weakness, UNC's strength-- exacerbated by zone. Doesn't matter how poorly you make them shoot if they get the ball back after they miss.

ProVeeZag
04-02-2017, 09:51 AM
happened early in the game while coming to help defend, took a real shot. Think he got whistled for the foul on that one too but would have to research it to be sure

As I recall, it happened just 1 minute into the game around 18:55 mark and it was a jolting blow to JWIII. He definitely looked a bit dazed afterwards.

bballbeachbum
04-02-2017, 09:52 AM
As I recall, it happened just 1 minute into the game around 18:55 mark and it was a jolting blow to JWIII. He definitely looked a bit dazed afterwards.

right on, thanks man

Hoopaholic
04-02-2017, 09:58 AM
I think there needs to be these lineups vs UNC:

Karn/Collins/JW3/Melson/Goss
Karn/Collins/Tillie/Melson/Goss
Karn/Collins/Rui or Jones/Melson/Goss

Etc

Matthews and Perkins need to be out there but maybe less mins due to size of UNC. Get out there when J Jackson on bench. Need second unit to beat their second unit. I'd consider playing one of or both Perkins/Matthews with young bench moreso. Melson could earn start here if I was coach - Rui/Jones matching up on Jackson for few mins. Stopping Jackson is the KEY or slowing him down at very least. Throw every fresh body you can at Jackson in his shooting pocket/dominant dribbling hip.

I suspect Mathews is guarding Jackson to start the game, could see JW3 and Goss moving on him during the game

I just shake my head that after being 37-1 some want to throw a complete monkey wrench into what has gotten the team to this point......not only does it go against what staff has preached all year, but it could have the opposite effect and tear into the fabric of the team game that has been soooo succesful this year

Media said we could stop Daum, Couldnt Stop Bluiet, Couldnt stop Thornwell with Bluet and Thornwell being same type of player and same size as Jackson............yet we did shut down each of those players holding them WELL under the season and ncaa tournament average

I expect nothing less

zag buddy
04-02-2017, 10:02 AM
DSF Tx for the report. What is your forum address?

MDABE80
04-02-2017, 10:05 AM
In a game of this magnitude, I'm thinking the offnsive rebounding will pick up. I also doubt Kennedy Meeks will run wild like yeterday.
Our guards can easily manage theirs. This one will be decided own low. When GU has 4 verycapable Bigs to rotate in and out, I'm thinking Gonzaga's chances are even up.
In this game tomorrow, I suspect it's going to be far different fro what one might expect. As we've seen when going further in the tournament, better teams come along and the scores show how evenly matched teams are. CLOSE games.I expect tomorrow night to be no different. We have mobile bigs. Karno is a bit slow but the others are quik and moile. This should matter. Karno will do what he does.........lean all over Meeks and hold him down. Saggin won't be too necessary.

I don't know if the Zags win this one but I'd be surprised if it isn't close....a lot closer than Duke in the E8 two years ago.

cggonzaga
04-02-2017, 10:07 AM
Offensive rebounds. Our weakness, UNC's strength-- exacerbated by zone. Doesn't matter how poorly you make them shoot if they get the ball back after they miss.

I do agree with this sd. I thought about that after I posted.

CanadianZagsFan
04-02-2017, 10:10 AM
I suspect Mathews is guarding Jackson to start the game, could see JW3 and Goss moving on him during the game

I just shake my head that after being 37-1 some want to throw a complete monkey wrench into what has gotten the team to this point......not only does it go against what staff has preached all year, but it could have the opposite effect and tear into the fabric of the team game that has been soooo succesful this year

Media said we could stop Daum, Couldnt Stop Bluiet, Couldnt stop Thornwell with Bluet and Thornwell being same type of player and same size as Jackson............yet we did shut down each of those players holding them WELL under the season and ncaa tournament average

I expect nothing less

We'll agree to disagree. This is for the ring. Nothing will rip into "fabric" of the team at this point. If so , those player(s) do not deserve to be at GU. I don't see Matthews and Perkins being great matchups in this game. In saying that , we need those two to knock down shots when given the chance. Goss needs to stay on Berry, no point getting cute with matchups there (they will put different matchups on him to try and slow him down from UNC standpoint). Melson is backup option to guard their point guard, not Perkins in my opinion. UNLESS Melson is primary guy on Jackson, but I don't think that works with Jackson length.

We've had guys star for us on different nights. National championship no different. The 5-15 mins Rui/Jones combo could give us could be invaluable -the difference of winning a game by 3-6 PTS or losing by the same margin. There WILL be foul trouble on Zags player, not IF. Be prepared for guys getting in foul trouble on their own merit or refs. Prepare for things, don't react to things<<<

cggonzaga
04-02-2017, 10:13 AM
We were a great shooting team (at least I thought) at 38% from deep until about a month ago; since then, we have really cooled down and have been downright awful from deep in the tourney outside of Jackson. I am shocked we have made it this far based on how bad we have shot from deep. My fan perspective is we would have issues against a zone (just like we did against Oregon, especially in the first half) should Few try that strategy.

Agreed DSF. Carolina has always been my second favorite team. I applied to two schools, Gonzaga and UNC. Gonzaga accepted me. I've felt we were the two best teams all year and matched up great with one another.

cggonzaga
04-02-2017, 10:30 AM
I don't know if the Zags win this one but I'd be surprised if it isn't close....a lot closer than Duke in the E8 two years ago.

Not sure you fully remember that game. We were a wide open blown layup by Wiltjer from being a two point game with 4 minutes to go. Pangos and Bell went 4-14. We lose by 14 but that game was much closer than the final score.

CanadianZagsFan
04-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Not sure you fully remember that game. We were a wide open blown layup by Wiltjer from being a two point game with 4 minutes to go. Pangos and Bell went 4-14. We lose by 14 but that game was much closer than the final score.

Ughhh don't remind me on this day of all days. PERFECT executed backdoor layup. Gator armed it with not many gators errr Dukies in sight. That deflated the building.

stretch
04-02-2017, 11:04 AM
"Lucky Heels find another way to win"

From something called the ACC Panic Room. These guys are Tar Heel doubters:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/sportsradio/video/16620010/

kitzbuel
04-02-2017, 12:01 PM
I often read from outsiders that Karnowski is slow.
This is true.
I never read that Karnowski hustles down the court.
Which is also true.

His athleticism is limited but he is doesn't take plays off on the defensive end. His attitude mitigates his liabilities.
SC was clearly surprised at one point to be in a fast break transition and find Karno back on defense to stop the layin

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

maynard g krebs
04-02-2017, 09:59 PM
We'll agree to disagree. This is for the ring. Nothing will rip into "fabric" of the team at this point. If so , those player(s) do not deserve to be at GU. I don't see Matthews and Perkins being great matchups in this game. In saying that , we need those two to knock down shots when given the chance. Goss needs to stay on Berry, no point getting cute with matchups there (they will put different matchups on him to try and slow him down from UNC standpoint). Melson is backup option to guard their point guard, not Perkins in my opinion. UNLESS Melson is primary guy on Jackson, but I don't think that works with Jackson length.

We've had guys star for us on different nights. National championship no different. The 5-15 mins Rui/Jones combo could give us could be invaluable -the difference of winning a game by 3-6 PTS or losing by the same margin. There WILL be foul trouble on Zags player, not IF. Be prepared for guys getting in foul trouble on their own merit or refs. Prepare for things, don't react to things<<<

Oregon w/o Boucher gave up a ton of size at every position, and still was in the game despite Meeks' scores on putbacks and Ducks shooting 7/26 on 3's with a lot of open looks in the second half. And they've been excellent shooting the 3 most of the year.

Perimeter height usually is overrated; X and USC both had big wings. Wooden said he wanted quickness with as much size as possible, not the other way around. Stopping penetration negates their advantage.And they have to match up with you too on the other end. Zags need their perimeter weapons on the floor to maintain spacing for the bigs to operate inside. Can't have guys sagging to double the post w/o making them pay.

Agree w/ Hoop on this one. Your approach strikes me as a bit panicky. Rui/Jones are a stopgap for foul trouble, if GU has a lead imo.