PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs South Carolina post game thoughts

krozman
04-01-2017, 04:36 PM
What a battle from a tough SC team that took a complete game from every Zag on the court. Perkins battling through foul trouble to get the great foul in the end. JW3 having a so so night but hitting those 2 FTs at the end. Collins going beastmode with the blocks. NWG back to career form. Killie with the 2 FTs to seal the deal. So much more to say, but just so proud of these guys.

jazzdelmar
04-01-2017, 04:50 PM
O foul on Collins layup was felonious. One shining moment, now we don't have to poke thru the footage to see Zags.

SwainZag
04-01-2017, 04:53 PM
Checking in real quick. Lot to talk about the game overall. But WE ARE GOING TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!! Let's celebrate and critique later!!!!!! GO ZAGS!

75Zag
04-01-2017, 04:54 PM
Very inconsistent ref calls this afternoon. I can live with a tightly called game (WCC style) or a loosely called game (SEC style), but it needs to be called the same on both ends. I hope they find a better ref group for Monday.

Holy Smoke - Who Would Have Thought This Could Happen.

Go Bulldogs!

Bocco
04-01-2017, 04:56 PM
been dreaming this since 1999, and it's really sweet to have it come true

Reborn
04-01-2017, 05:04 PM
Gonzaga 77
South Carolina 73

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!

AMAZING SIMPLY AMAZING

WE ARE PLAYING IN THE FINALS

What a great game. The best ever. We got out lead, our 15 point lead, and then a replay of Northwestern. And So Carolina made their deadly run that they have made all through the tournament. But Gonzaga said, NO NOT US. NOT THIS TIME. And the Zags hold them off and win by 3. And believe me, we were playing against 8 players. THE WORST REFFING I'VE EVER SEEN AND WE'VE SEEN SOME REALLY BAD REFS. To win a game like that when the refs are clearly in favorite of USC is just so amazing. Like every game this year but one, the Zags, against all odds, find a way to win. I'm so proud of our coaches and team. So proud to be a Zag> I'll write more later so YOU CAN ADD to this.

Go Zags!!!

zag944
04-01-2017, 05:07 PM
God short of Super Bowl XL Ive never been so upset with an officiating crew. Two offensive fouls in the 2nd half almost killed us. Glad our guys persevered. Collins changes every gd shot within 7 feet and it is amazing

Zags11
04-01-2017, 05:10 PM
My blood pressure is way too much. Lol. Refs sucked. We blew a huge lead that previous teams would of caved. Instead? Title gm. Clutch team and coach this year.

Bogozags
04-01-2017, 05:11 PM
WOW! I think we have a pretty good team!

So, not bragging or anything...but who has the best defence?

Who held SC to ONLY 38% shooting?

Who made FT's down the stretch to keep the lead?

Who out rebounded a SC team?

Who was the better TEAM?

Ok, it's not that I'm a poor sport BUT Power Five schools and their fans just don't respect GU's TEAM as well as how knowledgeable its fan base is!!! I just wish we had played some games against decent programs, because that would have prepared the Zags better to play against WVU and South Carolina...the WCC is just such a weak conference and GU beat "nobody" teams and can't play tough teams close!

I am sorry for being rude to any SC guests that visited our board but I am just tired of being told just how "weak" our TEAM is...

CarolinaZagFan
04-01-2017, 05:12 PM
I'm so freakin ecstatic right now! Playing for the championship! One more win! Beat the cheats!

ZagOD7540
04-01-2017, 05:13 PM
God short of Super Bowl XL Ive never been so upset with an officiating crew. Two offensive fouls in the 2nd half almost killed us. Glad our guys persevered. Collins changes every gd shot within 7 feet and it is amazing

I'm with you! I have never been so pissed at an officiating crew. Collins makes an NBA "big boy" move and gets called for an offensive foul...just pathetic. A lot of weak calls on us. The boys hung in there and battled. So proud to be a Zag!!

Zags11
04-01-2017, 05:13 PM
Refs were horribly one sided. We lost a huge lead and my blood pressure sky rocketed to unsafe levels. And Collins got a ball to get sucked in for a 68-67 lead and we regained it. I'm so damn proud!

TexasZagFan
04-01-2017, 05:16 PM
Martin keeps talking about how we play nothing but fifth year seniors...wtf?

MontanaCoyote
04-01-2017, 05:16 PM
Very inconsistent ref calls this afternoon. I can live with a tightly called game (WCC style) or a loosely called game (SEC style), but it needs to be called the same on both ends. I hope they find a better ref group for Monday.

Holy Smoke - Who Would Have Thought This Could Happen.

Go Bulldogs!

Not me, but I remember that one poster predicted at the beginning of the year that the Zag's would go undefeated and win the national championship. I think he was serious! If we win Monday, he'll have missed his call by 1 game. PDG!

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-01-2017, 05:18 PM
Pinch me I think I'm dreaming!

Zags playin best ball when they need to. So many players stepped up: Collins, NWG, Melson, Matthews, Karno, Tillie. I love this team. ONIONS.

Bogozags
04-01-2017, 05:18 PM
This was a great game and so proud of our guys to make the FF let alone play in the championship game!

Reborn you are right...it was not a well officiated game...lots of calls were "anticipated fouls" and that player control foul on Zach was just horrible...

I am sorry but PK was fouled on that block and not one announcer brought that up...PK was an airborne shooter and should have been PROTECTED until the shot was over and he returned to the ground...am I the only one who feels this way?

Hoopaholic
04-01-2017, 05:19 PM
Not me, but I remember that one poster predicted at the beginning of the year that the Zag's would go undefeated and win the national championship. I think he was serious! If we win Monday, he'll have missed his call by 1 game. PDG!

Missed it by 7 minutes

TexasZagFan
WOW! I think we have a pretty good team!

So, not bragging or anything...but who has the best defence?

Who held SC to ONLY 38% shooting?

Who made FT's down the stretch to keep the lead?

Who out rebounded a SC team?

Who was the better TEAM?

Ok, it's not that I'm a poor sport BUT Power Five schools and their fans just don't respect GU's TEAM as well as how knowledgeable its fan base is!!! I just wish we had played some games against decent programs, because that would have prepared the Zags better to play against WVU and South Carolina...the WCC is just such a weak conference and GU beat "nobody" teams and can't play tough teams close!

I am sorry for being rude to any SC guests that visited our board but I am just tired of being told just how "weak" our TEAM is...

Dittos bogo. I'd say we're tough enough after beating WVU and SC.

Hoopaholic

Don't we? Mt Shem counts for 3?

john montana
04-01-2017, 05:22 PM
Amazing win. Overcame some of the most one sided officiating I have ever seen. Jw3 shoved out of bounds, Collins charge call, and basically every shot we took down the stretch was with a guy grabbing some part of the shooter. To pull that game out...wow.

bballbeachbum
04-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Zags won the foul battle too
Zags 21-14 South Carolina. wow, just 14 fouls on them, that's incredible

1st round vs. Marquette 20 fouls
2nd round vs. Duke 22 fouls
S16 vs. Baylor 20 fouls
E8 vs. Florida 17 fouls
today? Zags with 21, South Carolina with 14, playing the way they play

and the Zags won anyway

repeat

and the Zags won anyway

that is ____ing sweet

zagamatic
04-01-2017, 05:29 PM
If the Spokesman Review publishes ANYTHING HINTING ar already having won the title. ...........

RenoZag
04-01-2017, 05:32 PM
Well, for now, my new Final 4 Tee shirt is lucky. . .

MJ777
04-01-2017, 05:33 PM

S16 vs. Baylor 20 fouls
E8 vs. Florida 17 fouls

and the Zags won anyway

repeat

and the Zags won anyway

that is ____ing sweet

GreT win and I hate to complain about refs after a win, but I have Seen better refed Games at the Blind School.

bballbeachbum
04-01-2017, 05:37 PM
GreT win and I hate to complain about refs after a win, but I have Seen better refer Games at the Blind School.

I hear you man, it was just so blatant

mtnZag
04-01-2017, 05:40 PM
What a battle from a tough SC team that took a complete game from every Zag on the court. Perkins battling through foul trouble to get the great foul in the end. JW3 having a so so night but hitting those 2 FTs at the end. Collins going beastmode with the blocks. NWG back to career form. Killie with the 2 FTs to seal the deal. So much more to say, but just so proud of these guys.

Many heros in this game!
So proud of our Zags.
They played like true champions!
Let's finish the season as national champions.
MtnZag

zag67
04-01-2017, 05:41 PM
Hoop, actually we were ahead of BYU 71-69 with 2:13 left in the game. And finally went behind with 1:06 left. Unbelievable group of players.

ZagLawGrad
04-01-2017, 05:43 PM

:cheers:

DixieZag
04-01-2017, 05:43 PM
Refs were horribly one sided. We lost a huge lead and my blood pressure sky rocketed to unsafe levels. And Collins got a ball to get sucked in for a 68-67 lead and we regained it. I'm so damn proud!

Most "game management" by a referee crew I have ever seen. Needed that game close, so at one point, they had 10 fouls against us, 4 against them, we had 3 guys with 4 or more fouls, they had no one with foul trouble. Some of those calls on Karno and Collins were some of the worst I have ever seen. They will be rewarded, did exactly what supposed to do.

And Martin says we play nothing but 5th year seniors, we start one fifth year senior b/c of a serious back injury where he could hardly walk, the rest are 4 or less. Oh, and our guys off the bench are 2 frosh and a true junior.

72Prep
04-01-2017, 05:44 PM
Amazing win. Overcame some of the most one sided officiating I have ever seen. Jw3 shoved out of bounds, Collins charge call, and basically every shot we took down the stretch was with a guy grabbing some part of the shooter. To pull that game out...wow.

I'm happy for many things tonight. One being I won't spend the rest of my life complaining about those two bad calls.

MickMick
04-01-2017, 05:47 PM
It takes a mentally tough bunch to fight through the calls, injuries, and momentum. The first time I have actually believed that this is the best team in college basketball.

DixieZag
04-01-2017, 05:47 PM
And it takes a team with all heart to come back from a 14-0 run and put together a 7-0 run of their own.

MBAGael
04-01-2017, 05:54 PM
First, congrats!

Second, your losss to BYU prepared you well for such a physical game, lol.

Birddog
04-01-2017, 05:58 PM
I'm happy for many things tonight. One being I won't spend the rest of my life complaining about those two bad calls.

Nicely put, I was ready for a coronary if we lost.

Reborn
04-01-2017, 06:03 PM
This was a great game and so proud of our guys to make the FF let alone play in the championship game!

Reborn you are right...it was not a well officiated game...lots of calls were "anticipated fouls" and that player control foul on Zach was just horrible...

I am sorry but PK was fouled on that block and not one announcer brought that up...PK was an airborne shooter and should have been PROTECTED until the shot was over and he returned to the ground...am I the only one who feels this way?

I totally agree. What is weird is after that flagrant miss call, and PK went out, Oollins went nuts.

bballbeachbum
04-01-2017, 06:06 PM

no you're not

Reborn
04-01-2017, 06:09 PM
Two really big plays at the end. First Collins hit that 3 pointer right after USC took the two point lead and Few called time out. It was a weird, lucky shot. The ball clanked on the back of the rim, sat there for a moment teasing us, and fell in. Wow! Few has always said we need a little luck. Second big play was J Williams hitting those two free throws. That too may have been lucky. There was a dunk by PK at about the 4 min mark after he came back into the game after being mauled. He slam dunked one harder than I've ever seen him dunk. He was MAD.

Go Zags!!!

DixieZag
04-01-2017, 06:18 PM
Two really big plays at the end. First Collins hit that 3 pointer right after USC took the two point lead and Few called time out. It was a weird, lucky shot. The ball clanked on the back of the rim, sat there for a moment teasing us, and fell in. Wow! Few has always said we need a little luck. Second big play was J Williams hitting those two free throws. That too may have been lucky. There was a dunk by PK at about the 4 min mark after he came back into the game after being mauled. He slam dunked one harder than I've ever seen him dunk. He was MAD.

Go Zags!!!

Williams hitting those 2 was huge, 55% for the year, but the 2 mst important - he hits?

Binary Zag
04-01-2017, 06:22 PM
Great game! I'm not going to dwell too much on the officiating, but since when does an eye gouge qualify as a legitimate basketball move? OK, I get that it wasn't intentional, but when you have a player writhing on the deck in pain from contact to the face, there's no foul? No monitor review to determine what happened? I'm baffled...

mtzaga
04-01-2017, 06:25 PM
1:07 left. Silva saved ball from going out of bounds but his foot was on line. SC got another shot but did not score. J3 pushed from behind with 12 seconds. Two obvious misses.

jpn17
04-01-2017, 06:26 PM

S16 vs. Baylor 20 fouls
E8 vs. Florida 17 fouls

and the Zags won anyway

repeat

and the Zags won anyway

that is ____ing sweet

Amazing isn't it? Gonzaga was never in the bonus until 1:30 left in the second half. What a gutty effort by Gonzaga!

scott257
04-01-2017, 06:36 PM
1:07 left. Silva saved ball from going out of bounds but his foot was on line. SC got another shot but did not score. J3 pushed from behind with 12 seconds. Two obvious misses.

Glad I wasn't the only one that saw that. They were bad and yet we still won the game.

Alum08
04-01-2017, 06:59 PM
The OF on Collins was atrocious. The rest I can accept.

MontanaCoyote
04-01-2017, 07:14 PM

No, and I'm sick and tired of Karno getting mauled. He bumps a player on D and gets called. Three players are all over him,
Grabbing and clawing and nothing. I don't know how he keeps his composure. He deserves a lot of credit just for keeping cool!

CdAZagFan
04-01-2017, 07:15 PM
What an incredible game... To tough out that 16-0 run from SC in the 2nd half, and have some (many?) calls go against them and to persevere the way this team did - simply AMAZING! And I believe this program has made the transition from the team that may have wilted from the bad things that went against it, to a team that weathers those storms. They've already done it multiple times this tourney...

tummydoc
04-01-2017, 07:25 PM
This season Fewie has stepped it up a notch. In the past I thought his game planning was excellent but in game adjustments less than stellar. Today going with Shem and Collins late, going with the foul under 6 seconds, and last week the first half smoke and mirrors when foul trouble In the first half of WV......coach of the. Year

Go Zags

tummydoc
04-01-2017, 07:27 PM
Long live Shem, King of the North!!!!

Go Zags

MontanaCoyote
04-01-2017, 07:29 PM
Long live Shem, King of the North!!!!

Go Zags

The way they're fouling him he'll need some help!

MontanaCoyote
04-01-2017, 07:31 PM
Missed it by 7 minutes
Well, congratulations any way!

DixieZag
04-01-2017, 08:43 PM
40 minutes.

Yes, it's against North Carolina. They don't give National championships away.

But, repeat that over and over. Gonzaga is one win away from a national championship. It's crazy, but wonderful crazy.

I don't want duplicative threads, how we're going to have to play. I just can't believe we're there. I believed we'd win tonight. But, it's different saying it. "Gonzaga is 40 minutes from a national championship."

zags422
04-01-2017, 08:52 PM
40 minutes.

Yes, it's against North Carolina. They don't give National championships away.

But, repeat that over and over. Gonzaga is one win away from a national championship. It's crazy, but wonderful crazy.

I don't want duplicative threads, how we're going to have to play. I just can't believe we're there. I believed we'd win tonight. But, it's different saying it. "Gonzaga is 40 minutes from a national championship."

Surreal!!

ZagsGoZags
04-01-2017, 09:37 PM
I remember admiring Butler for getting to the National Championship game twice. A fellow mid major. At that time I didn't think we would get there this fast.
If this helps our recruiting, and I believe it will (it did after Ammo and Kelly O) maybe we can maintain.
I am so glad we get to play in the Nat'l Championship game, the 7th of game of the World Series, so to speak.

CdAZagFan
04-01-2017, 09:46 PM
David vs Goliath.... I'm figuring this one might be the first game in the tourney where we are not the favorites. Cinderella once more! I love it. It would be an incredible ending to top this unbelievable ride off with a victory over a traditional blue blood such as NC.

Reborn
04-01-2017, 09:49 PM
Glad I wasn't the only one that saw that. They were bad and yet we still won the game.

Oh My son Demian and I saw it too. The amazing thing about the miss call is the ref was standing right there. In watching the replay that offensive foul on Collins for charging when Thornwell was guarding him was maybe the worse call of the night though. And actually Collins faked Thornwell out of his jock strap.

Go Zags!!!

demian
04-01-2017, 09:50 PM
JW3 & karnowski 4-6 from free throw line.

Whoever predicted on here this past week that Karnowski & JW3 would find success from free throw line in this game vs SC was 100% spot on. I believe all 4 of those makes came AFTER SC took the lead from us with around 7 minutes to go. Way to go you two!!!

Zag Man
04-01-2017, 10:00 PM

This is so great for all of Zag Nation! We get to play in the last game of the season....I can't wait!

OntZags
04-01-2017, 10:16 PM
David vs Goliath.... I'm figuring this one might be the first game in the tourney where we are not the favorites. Cinderella once more! I love it. It would be an incredible ending to top this unbelievable ride off with a victory over a traditional blue blood such as NC.

It's gonna be a pick'em. :)

They might be slight dogs but it'll be real close and the line will fluctuate based on betting. Don't be surprised to see a straight pick 'em on opening tip off. :)

Big ups to Tillie on the two clutch free throws to seal the deal.

jpn17
04-01-2017, 10:27 PM

Go Zags!!!

Yeah it was nice to see that ball drop, Gonzaga needed a break, nothing was going right and they got the kind bounce. In terms of lucky shots it made up for the three Thornwell made in the first half that hit the front of the rim and somehow bounced up and in.

Zagricultural
04-01-2017, 10:31 PM
I just have my concerns about the reffing on Monday. We can't beat UNC and the Refs.

jpn17
04-01-2017, 10:32 PM
Williams hitting those 2 was huge, 55% for the year, but the 2 mst important - he hits?

It's been a weird tournament for that, I've seen a lot of instances of 50-60% free throw shooters nailing 2 clutch free throws down the stretch, while 80% shooters are putting up bricks.

maynard g krebs
04-01-2017, 10:34 PM
I just have my concerns about the reffing on Monday. We can't beat UNC and the Refs.

Chances are the refs will do as much as they can to keep the title game close if the Zags take an early lead. Not so sure they'd do the same if NC did. Gonna have to make the big plays down the stretch and win a nail biter again imo.

gobroncsgozags
04-02-2017, 01:23 AM

The good thing (or bad thing) is that UNC doesn't depend on the refs letting them hack at you to be good on defense.

krozman
04-02-2017, 01:40 AM

Not sure why you would say that. We have been already several times this tournament!

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-02-2017, 04:19 AM
My day after postgame thoughts.

- Someone here has a Few quote on their signature "I just hope our guys play their best when their best is needed." That's what the Zags did last night and I fully expect them to continue playing great, confident "just let 'er rip" basketball Monday night. No pressure on this team; they've met all expectations. Few and staff doing a great job of trusting their team and players doing great job of trusting one another and trusting their coaches / gameplan etc. It's a beautiful synchronicity happening before our eyes.

- Everyone stepped up last night but Silas Melson stands out for me. Knocking down 3's early not only gives him confidence, it sort of gets the whole team rolling and confident imho. He had a fantastic block and just played great all around. I'm so happy for him.

- Very happy to see Zags knocking down 3's in the football stadium. Expect same Monday night now that they're even more confident and comfortable on this stage.

- Love hearing about all the former Zags there in Phoenix rooting their team on. Players must feel their support and a burning desire to bring home the National Championship for all of them. Love it!!!

TexasZag
04-02-2017, 06:24 AM

My thoughts exactly. For such an upstanding guy, he's a horrible loser.

Zaga
04-02-2017, 06:28 AM

Whoever predicted on here this past week that Karnowski & JW3 would find success from free throw line in this game vs SC was 100% spot on. I believe all 4 of those makes came AFTER SC took the lead from us with around 7 minutes to go. Way to go you two!!!

Needed them and to get them in the clutch is so awesome. KT's FT's were gripping....Game winners Wow! Go Zags

#runthetable

jazzdelmar
04-02-2017, 06:28 AM
My thoughts exactly. For such an upstanding guy, he's a horrible loser.

Agree. Martin also gave no props in the immediate post game interview. Using a term like 5th year player is derogatory code for a win at all costs, mercenary program, which we are clearly not. Grouchy face knows that full well. A totally unnecessary shot. Nothing wrong with, they are a veteran team, we are young. Still an alibi, but acceptable language. I thought there was growth here w Martin, to paraphrase Dolores, but clearly there isn't.

MontanaCoyote
04-02-2017, 08:38 AM

4 and we won by 4!

rijman
04-02-2017, 09:01 AM
I was confident the Zags would win this game, but nervous the whole way. I fully anticipated USC would go on a run in the 2nd half, but 16-0 was almost more than I could handle. The Zags responded with a 7-0 run and finished it off with Tillie making 2 clutch free throws to seal the win. My family has followed Gonzaga basketball since the mid 1950's when my dad went there on a basketball scholarship out of the Air Force. A car accident the summer before attending GU would leave him unable to ever play ball again although Hank Anderson honored his scholarship and took him on as an assistant, his only assistant back then, and my dad was able to travel with the team and get an engineering degree that he would use to for his career. My dad loved Gonzaga and Hank Anderson for what they did for him. My dad bought me a Zags basketball banner we hang on the back of a door in the family room where we watch Zags games. My father is no longer with us to watch this historic Zags run together, but my family still pats the banner before every game, yesterday we gave it an extra pat for him. Go Zags!

sittingon50
04-02-2017, 11:32 AM
Thanks for sharing that, rij.

MontanaCoyote
04-02-2017, 11:40 AM
Shemmick, although not in the running for GU player of the game, nevertheless lived up to one of his nicknames,
"The Presence" at just at the right time.....he was where he needed to be when he needed to be there and did what he needed to do, pretty much like always.

You already know it; Zag's down by two. Collins for three, Collins to Karno for the slam, NWG to Karno for the lay in.
Team play for sure and Karno was right there to help make sure it happened......pretty much like always.

TexasZag
04-02-2017, 01:36 PM
I was confident the Zags would win this game, but nervous the whole way. I fully anticipated USC would go on a run in the 2nd half, but 16-0 was almost more than I could handle. The Zags responded with a 7-0 run and finished it off with Tillie making 2 clutch free throws to seal the win. My family has followed Gonzaga basketball since the mid 1950's when my dad went there on a basketball scholarship out of the Air Force. A car accident the summer before attending GU would leave him unable to ever play ball again although Hank Anderson honored his scholarship and took him on as an assistant, his only assistant back then, and my dad was able to travel with the team and get an engineering degree that he would use to for his career. My dad loved Gonzaga and Hank Anderson for what they did for him. My dad bought me a Zags basketball banner we hang on the back of a door in the family room where we watch Zags games. My father is no longer with us to watch this historic Zags run together, but my family still pats the banner before every game, yesterday we gave it an extra pat for him. Go Zags!

The 16-0 run was too much for me. I had to get up and take a walk. I kept up with the game on my ESPN app, so I knew what was going on. But I couldn't watch. It wasn't at all helpful that my wife was being herself (rhymes with "witch") and making the game all that more difficult to watch. Thankfully, the Zags won, so that took a little bit of the fire out of her attitude.

sittingon50
04-02-2017, 03:23 PM
The 16-0 run was too much for me. I had to get up and take a walk. But I couldn't watch. .

I got up & walked out on the last 9 minutes, TZF. Every 10 minutes I left the seclusion of the bedroom & walked back down to the man-cave to check the score.

Sure took 'em a long time to play that 9 minutes!!

demian
04-02-2017, 03:28 PM
The 16-0 run was too much for me. I had to get up and take a walk. I kept up with the game on my ESPN app, so I knew what was going on. But I couldn't watch. It wasn't at all helpful that my wife was being herself (rhymes with "witch") and making the game all that more difficult to watch. Thankfully, the Zags won, so that took a little bit of the fire out of her attitude.

Haha. The part about your wife was hilarious lol. Glad you got a win from the Zags