PDA

View Full Version : Daejon Davis to Stanford

nish_mode
04-15-2016, 07:39 AM
Zags offered and is a top 40 2017. Looks like he backed out of UW and is reopening his recruitment.

Zagdawg
04-15-2016, 07:42 AM
Daejon Davis ‏@DaejonDavis 30m30 minutes ago
I have decided to reopen my recruitment and I am no longer commited to The University of Washington, they will remain at the top of my list

http://www.d1circuit.com/news_article/show/636418?referrer_id=

Coach Crazy
04-15-2016, 08:05 AM
http://http://www.scout.com/player/194306-daejon-davis

Listen to him explain what he wants out of his experience. If you listen closer you'll hear "I want to go to Gonzaga, where I can go to Gonzaga, and be with people who go to Gonzaga, and coaches from Gonzaga..."

Would be a huge get, and one of the next dominoes to fall in Few's recruiting progression.

23dpg
04-15-2016, 08:16 AM
"Very unlikely"

per History

nish_mode
04-15-2016, 08:30 AM
"Very unlikely"

per History

I agree. I don't think the zags ever got a kid from rainier beach or Garfield. When's the last time they got someone from the Metro league?

Zagdawg
04-15-2016, 08:47 AM
http://oregon.247sports.com/Bolt/Elite-Guard-Back-On-The-Market-44825342?Notification.Success=Your+Bolt+has+been+s uccessfully+created

maynard g krebs
04-15-2016, 11:04 AM
I agree. I don't think the zags ever got a kid from rainier beach or Garfield. When's the last time they got someone from the Metro league?

Gray?

23dpg
04-15-2016, 11:19 AM
Gray?

Gray grew up in Irondale, Wash., a port community about a six-hour drive away from Spokane. He split his high school career between Chimacum and Bainbridge, leading both high schools to incredible success.

So technically yes but not really a city kid.

MDABE80
04-15-2016, 11:23 AM
Somebody tell Ultra!! ;)

Coach Crazy
04-15-2016, 11:26 AM

That's not necessarily relevant, though? When was the last time they got a kid from Simeon or Gorman, or even a burger boy...before they did? This program has a lot of momentum, right now. Very close to back to back Elite Eight's, recruiting momentum, and players that talent want to play with.

The only team on the list of potentials that I have seen, that should be taken seriously, is Oregon. But even then, I would want to see how they do after their two declaree's are gone.

tinfoilzag
04-15-2016, 11:28 AM
http://http://www.scout.com/player/194306-daejon-davis

Listen to him explain what he wants out of his experience. If you listen closer you'll hear "I want to go to Gonzaga, where I can go to Gonzaga, and be with people who go to Gonzaga, and coaches from Gonzaga..."

Would be a huge get, and one of the next dominoes to fall in Few's recruiting progression.

Play the interview backwards:

"Paul is dead. Gonzaga is my first choice right now. Paul is dead. Do it"

seacatfan
04-15-2016, 11:30 AM
That's not necessarily relevant, though? When was the last time they got a kid from Simeon or Gorman, or even a burger boy...before they did? This program has a lot of momentum, right now. Very close to back to back Elite Eight's, recruiting momentum, and players that talent want to play with.

The only team on the list of potentials that I have seen, that should be taken seriously, is Oregon. But even then, I would want to see how they do after their two declaree's are gone.

Oregon has been rolling along fine year to year no matter who they lose the entire time Altman has been their coach. I eventually learned to not discount the Ducks even if it looks like they might be headed for a bit of a down year.

23dpg
04-15-2016, 11:32 AM

I think it is still relevant. Seattle is the closest source for elite HS talent and Gonzaga has never really had any success there. Not saying it can't change, but for now Seattle kids go go UW, Louisville, Arizona or other Pac 12 schools.

Zaga
04-15-2016, 11:32 AM
Play the interview backwards:

"Paul is dead. Gonzaga is my first choice right now. Paul is dead. Do it"

This! +1

maynard g krebs
04-15-2016, 12:15 PM

I'd be very surprised if either Brooks or Boucher leave; both are marginal NBA prospects at this point and are said to be just taking advantage of the new draft eval rules. People there seem to think Dorsey is the most likely to turn pro; has dual citizenship in Greece and wouldn't count as a foreign player there. But Ducks are adding another JC POY and three 4 star fr. Too early to tell, but not unreasonable to think they'll be better.

Mr Vulture
04-15-2016, 01:01 PM
Exactly...Boucher is rated in the 60's of just the underclassmen and hasn't hired an agent. It's a good way to get your name out there, find out what the scouts see, and then come back to improve.

I'd be very surprised if either Brooks or Boucher leave; both are marginal NBA prospects at this point and are said to be just taking advantage of the new draft eval rules. People there seem to think Dorsey is the most likely to turn pro; has dual citizenship in Greece and wouldn't count as a foreign player there. But Ducks are adding another JC POY and three 4 star fr. Too early to tell, but not unreasonable to think they'll be better.

Coach Crazy
04-15-2016, 01:12 PM
I think it is still relevant. Seattle is the closest source for elite HS talent and Gonzaga has never really had any success there. Not saying it can't change, but for now Seattle kids go go UW, Louisville, Arizona or other Pac 12 schools.

On its own it means very little. There is nuance to be had. Let's say we have a kid that wants to go to a place similar to Gonzaga, and it comes down to Washington, Oregon, and Washington? Our success with those kids in the past is largely irrelevant. Nuance is important. I thought my "hidden message" post about his interview was humorous. From a serious take, I think the more he spoke, the less I thought about UW being a viable option, for his goals.

He sounds like a Mark Few-type player, but he has to want to let Mark Few and Co. make that case. If he doesn't, that's the most relevant piece of information.

nish_mode
04-15-2016, 02:57 PM
The only recruit that was anything close to the city was Gary Bell, he played for rotary but wasn't from the city. Other than Gary, Errol Knight was the only true kid from Seattle, but he was a transfer. Almost forgot about Errol.

It's just tough recruiting in UW's backyard. The influence from the former UW NBA guys is very strong. Not to mention, former Garfield/Beach alum Conroy is now an assistant.

zagfan94
04-16-2016, 09:46 AM
http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1661548-eybl-daejon-davis-discusses-decommitment

Mentions Gonzaga has reached out to him since his decommitment along with Arizona, Washington State, Baylor, Indiana, Oregon State and Boise State. Would have the most suave moustache since Morrison.

DixieZag
04-16-2016, 06:26 PM
http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1661548-eybl-daejon-davis-discusses-decommitment

Mentions Gonzaga has reached out to him since his decommitment along with Arizona, Washington State, Baylor, Indiana, Oregon State and Boise State. Would have the most suave moustache since Morrison.

That's quite the list. A lot of coaches on that list that I respect, which tells me this is likely a high character kid. Actually, just the Oregon State, Boise, and Arizona would tell me it's a pretty high character kid.

exclusivelee
05-10-2016, 11:27 AM
Recruiting update on Daejon:

Since opening up, the class of 2017 prospect has heard from Oregon, Gonzaga, Arizona, Baylor, Kansas, UCLA, California, Washington State, and Oregon State.

IN HIS OWN WORDS: Davis explains his decision to de-commit from Washington and what stands out about a few of the schools recruiting him.

Gonzaga: “They are winners too. They also have a lot of guys that have made the NBA.”

WHAT’S NEXT? Davis said he wants to really take his time with the recruiting process this time around. He plans to look into all the schools thoroughly and will his take as many visits as he needs before making a commitment to a school.

RIVALS’ REACTION: Oregon certainly has caught his attention with its recent success under Dana Altman. Washington has generally done a pretty good job under Lorenzo Romar of keeping local kids home, so it could end up being a battle between the two Pac-12 rivals.

More at the link: https://basketballrecruiting.n.rivals.com/news/ex-washington-commit-davis-still-looking-around

Not holding my breath on landing this kid. Attends Garfield, very athletic

Coach Crazy
05-10-2016, 12:01 PM
We may not get him, but if these Seattle kids start seeing more and more Zags in the draft, and the McD's high 4/5*'s funneling into the program, we are going to get a few to bite (GBJ was Kent,WA). From there, the rest is a matter of exponential growth.

GoZags
05-25-2016, 06:36 AM
That's quite the list. A lot of coaches on that list that I respect, which tells me this is likely a high character kid. Actually, just the Oregon State, Boise, and Arizona would tell me it's a pretty high character kid.

Update from yesterday ....

https://basketballrecruiting.n.rivals.com/news/top-10-recruiting-battles-for-2017-basketball-prospects

Davis is the kind of kid that Lorenzo Romar and the Huskies usually feast on. They did, for a while at least, landing an early commitment. However, this spring Davis backed off his early pledge and talk surrounding it had to do with not feeling enough love from the Huskies after his commitment. Davis, athletic and able to play multiple positions, has mentioned Arizona, Gonzaga and Oregon

willandi
05-25-2016, 07:00 AM
Gray grew up in Irondale, Wash., a port community about a six-hour drive away from Spokane. He split his high school career between Chimacum and Bainbridge, leading both high schools to incredible success.

So technically yes but not really a city kid.

Isn't Seattle a port city about a 6 hour drive from Spokane? That part is irrelevant!

exclusivelee
05-25-2016, 08:26 AM
Problem is that even if Daejon was serious about potentially wanting to become a Zag, which is highly doubtful, Kispert's commitment has put GU at the scholarship limit for 2017-18.

Scholarships are on a year-to-year basis, but talking about who should leave/give up a scholarship for Daejon is a forbidden topic here.

Coach Crazy
05-25-2016, 09:04 AM
Problem is that even if Daejon was serious about potentially wanting to become a Zag, which is highly doubtful, Kispert's commitment has put GU at the scholarship limit for 2017-18.

Scholarships are on a year-to-year basis, but talking about who should leave/give up a scholarship for Daejon is a forbidden topic here.

If you can get a kid like Daejon, you don't let something like this get in the way. If anyone wants to know who I would let go, please message me. It's a no-brainer, at that point.

cggonzaga
05-25-2016, 02:31 PM
I think we all know you'd pull Kispert's scholly.

However, I do agree you do what you have to to get a kid like Davis.

Coach Crazy
05-25-2016, 02:47 PM
I think we all know you'd pull Kispert's scholly.

However, I do agree you do what you have to to get a kid like Davis.

No. Since people tend to misconstrue what I said about Corey, just know it is not him...but there are two that I think make logical choices, if it came down to it.

jazzdelmar
05-25-2016, 02:54 PM
No. But since people tend to misconstrue what I said about Corey, just know it is not him...but there are two that I think make logical choices, if it came down to it.

Like your thinking Crazy. Doubt it happens.

MDABE80
05-25-2016, 03:45 PM
This kid won't be on our roster. Just won't. He's a Forme frust Romar type of kid. Nice player but seriously when kids continue to pound on the goal of NBA, they fit better elsewhere. Krispert is a great kid and when YOU see him play you will know GU scored max when this kid signed to go to GU. Great college player for the whole 4 years here. He just "fits".

sittingon50
05-26-2016, 11:06 AM
If this kid's backing off uw 'cause he's not "feeling enough love" then the only time I care to see him in Spokane is in someone else's uniform.

Did I interpret those comments incorrectly?

MDABE80
05-26-2016, 11:11 AM
Exactly fitty. No chance. I'd take Krispert. He'll be a workhorse not a showhorse. We need a kid or two like Krispert. He's a "ZAG"! lol.

kitzbuel
05-26-2016, 11:19 AM
Is Krispert Jenks' teammate? :o

Coach Crazy
05-26-2016, 11:24 AM
Since when do the kids who play at UW not play hard or work hard? There is nothing with being "showy". It doesn't mean you are not a hard worker, or fundamentally sound player.

DukeSilver
05-26-2016, 11:32 AM
This kid won't be on our roster. Just won't. He's a Forme frust Romar type of kid. Nice player but seriously when kids continue to pound on the goal of NBA, they fit better elsewhere.

If this kid's backing off uw 'cause he's not "feeling enough love" then the only time I care to see him in Spokane is in someone else's uniform.

This line of reasoning drives me absolutely bananas ... What exactly is wrong with a kid wanting to play for a program that is vocal about wanting him to be there? I seem to recall Perkins saying something to the effect of "You gotta love who loves you" when he committed to GU - didn't see anyone batting an eye at that point.

And why shouldn't GU want kids who want to play in the NBA and are vocal about it? Is anyone prepared to say that we wouldn't have benefited from DeJounte Murray's presence last year? We were in his final two, and now he's about to be a first rounder after a very strong season at UW. Discounting kids because they're upfront about their goals is lunacy.

MDABE80
05-26-2016, 11:39 AM
Jenks........AKA Perks....yes he will be.

MDABE80
05-26-2016, 11:44 AM
This line of reasoning drives me absolutely bananas ... What exactly is wrong with a kid wanting to play for a program that is vocal about wanting him to be there? I seem to recall Perkins saying something to the effect of "You gotta love who loves you" when he committed to GU - didn't see anyone batting an eye at that point.

And why shouldn't GU want kids who want to play in the NBA and are vocal about it? Is anyone prepared to say that we wouldn't have benefited from DeJounte Murray's presence last year? We were in his final two, and now he's about to be a first rounder after a very strong season at UW. Discounting kids because they're upfront about their goals is lunacy.

Nice straw man argument Duke. Perks said something about the school and the school loving him. I don't see anything about NBA NBA NBA. And who discounts a kid here? nobody.
To have NBA aspirations is one thing. We like that. Focusing on college as a simple tool to get to the NBA seems a bit out of kilter. Just my opinion. I'd prefer a new kid focusing on the task at hand....college and his friends on the team and others to be made.

Coach Crazy
05-26-2016, 12:10 PM
Nice straw man argument Duke. Perks said something about the school and the school loving him. I don't see anything about NBA NBA NBA. And who discounts a kid here? nobody.
To have NBA aspirations is one thing. We like that. Focusing on college as a simple tool to get to the NBA seems a bit out of kilter. Just my opinion. I'd prefer a new kid focusing on the task at hand....college and his friends on the team and others to be made.

You mean, like focusing on college to become a doctor? Have you heard Daejon talk about school? He actually sounds like a Gonzaga kid.

I'd prefer a new kid focusing on the task at hand....college and his friends on the team and others to be made.

Have you been able to find a correlation between college success on the court, overall team success, and future life success with kids who don't fit your preference? I get it. But not every kid that goes to Gonzaga, or is a Gonzaga fit, is going to think that way. Nothing wrong with using the college experience as a means to an end.

Zagcity
05-26-2016, 01:01 PM

Did I interpret those comments incorrectly?

Nope you got it right :)

doctorzag
05-26-2016, 01:04 PM
Is Krispert Jenks' teammate? :o

Nice

jazzdelmar
05-26-2016, 01:18 PM
Kitz, with a gorgeous move. Hearing it from the crowd.

Apologies to the great Marvelous one.

DukeSilver
05-26-2016, 01:24 PM
Nice straw man argument Duke. Perks said something about the school and the school loving him. I don't see anything about NBA NBA NBA.

Not a straw man argument, whatsoever ... Davis was being criticized for backing out of his commitment for a perceived "lack of love" from UW. I contend that there is nothing wrong with a player who wants to play for a program that is excited about him, and pointed to Perkins as an example of a player that many of us hold in high regard who pointed to that "love" as a big factor in his decision.

Pretty straightforward.

sittingon50
05-26-2016, 02:44 PM
The kid committed, correct?

Then he backed out, correct?

Pretty straightforward.

Coach Crazy
05-26-2016, 03:06 PM
The kid committed, correct?

Then he backed out, correct?

Pretty straightforward.

And? Nothing wrong with that. It happens. Much ado about nothing.

Mantua
05-26-2016, 03:12 PM
And? Nothing wrong with that. It happens. Much ado about nothing.

I agree.

I don't get the churlish responses in this thread.

DukeSilver
05-26-2016, 03:23 PM
The bottom line is that he's a Top 40 kid who has expressed interest in our program. We should be ecstatic and hopeful that Few and co. see him as a good fit, not manufacturing ridiculous reasons why he could never be a Zag.

Coach Crazy
05-26-2016, 03:34 PM
I agree.

I don't get the churlish responses in this thread.

I get that being a person of your word is important. Integrity. Absolutely. But we're talking about a non-binding verbal commitment. These are *kids*. Things should be allowed to change. Sometimes you don't see everything right away. We don't know why he backed off. If this were a moral issue, then great. I can see where it would be important for him to stick to his word, but we're also in a game where it is okay for him to decide to go elsewhere. And I just don't see it as a moral dilemma. So, hard for me to be mad at the kid. This is a major life choice, flexibility on some level should exist.

Coach Crazy
05-26-2016, 03:35 PM
The bottom line is that he's a Top 40 kid who has expressed interest in our program. We should be ecstatic and hopeful that Few and co. see him as a good fit, not manufacturing ridiculous reasons why he could never be a Zag.

+1

sittingon50
05-26-2016, 07:42 PM
I get that being a person of your word is important. Integrity. Absolutely. But we're talking about a non-binding verbal commitment. These are *kids*. Things should be allowed to change. Sometimes you don't see everything right away. We don't know why he backed off. If this were a moral issue, then great. I can see where it would be important for him to stick to his word, but we're also in a game where it is okay for him to decide to go elsewhere. And I just don't see it as a moral dilemma. So, hard for me to be mad at the kid. This is a major life choice, flexibility on some level should exist.

Yep; Kool-Aid & a cookie for everyone. No standards needed.

Coach Crazy
05-26-2016, 08:20 PM

Hyperbole. I agree with having standards, I just don't think we should be expecting a 16 or 17 year old to be 100% in on where he is going to school when they are still growing and developing. Again, there is no moral dilemma in saying "I want to play for said school" and then re-opening that search. Heaven forbid someone continue to assess their choice and make sure they have it right.

Again. No moral dilemma here. It's where they are going to play their college ball. Hopefully, for the entirety of their career. Now, if he has purposeful deceit in mind, then we are talking about things such as dishonesty, and that is where I would take issue.

If a coach were to get fired or do something corrupt that would affect the program, no one in their right mind would be against the kid changing direction. So, we all believe in conditional commitment. This kid's commitment was conditional.

I suppose you'd wish we start arresting these kids for stealing the ball from another player during the game. Cause ya know, stealing...

DukeSilver
05-26-2016, 09:15 PM

Do you seriously have a problem with a 17-year-old changing his mind? What about players that decide to transfer? They also made a commitment to play for a specific university and later changed their mind ... Are Wiltjer, Byron Wesley, Goss, JW 3, etc. deserving of your ire as well?

ZagaZags
05-26-2016, 09:26 PM
Do you seriously have a problem with a 17-year-old changing his mind? What about players that decide to transfer? They also made a commitment to play for a specific university and later changed their mind ... Are Wiltjer, Byron Wesley, Goss, JW 3, etc. deserving of your ire as well?

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

http://media.giphy.com/media/IOCXHPvn3WErm/giphy.gif

sittingon50
05-26-2016, 09:52 PM
So why must a 17 yr. old make the commitment in the 1st place if not rock solid sure?

Difference of opinion fellas & that's O.K.

Just a generational thing. You look a man in the eye, you give him your word & you shake his hand.

I'm not losing sleep. I know you're not either. Like I said, it's O.K.

Mantua
05-26-2016, 09:58 PM
We simply don't have enough information in order to form judgements. One of my children did something similar for very good reasons and was treated badly by the pushy narcissistic high school coach for making the change. It turned out to be the best decision. It took some courage and integrity to buck the coach's prejudices. You can't please everyone and you are going to be the one living with the decision.

Seventeen year olds are naive and vulnerable.

Coach Crazy
05-27-2016, 04:45 AM
So why must a 17 yr. old make the commitment in the 1st place if not rock solid sure?

Difference of opinion fellas & that's O.K.

Just a generational thing. You look a man in the eye, you give him your word & you shake his hand.

I'm not losing sleep. I know you're not either. Like I said, it's O.K.

So, then people that stop dating each other must be of low character? It's not a generational thing. You and I both agree when it comes to integrity. There needs to be that in this world. Absolutely. I just don't think that a kid who is being pursued by hordes of *adult* coaches in a high pressure situation, where there is no moral recourse within the action itself (what college to play for), can necessarily be wrong for terminating what is technically a temporary situation, as it is.

As has already been stated. We don't know all the details. Sometimes you see the real person or situation for what it is once the infatuation period has worn off. I won't fault a kid wanting to get it right. A kid shouldn't have to commit to where he wants to play, but we've created an artificial system in which he does. So as long as the rules allow for him to adjust his status and he has not committed an act against a moral imperative, thus creating a moral dilemma, I am okay with it. *ESPECIALLY* if it means Gonzaga gets a shot. This would be a huge get.

Zagcity
05-27-2016, 06:58 AM

What no Milk, boo

Coach Crazy
05-27-2016, 07:41 AM
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

http://media.giphy.com/media/IOCXHPvn3WErm/giphy.gif

+1

This isn't about integrity. This is about him being perceived "Husky stock" and "one of those types" of players.

zagdontzig
05-27-2016, 07:45 AM
So we just devolved into the "in my day" argument? His decommitment from the program wasn't an affront on your generation or the strength of your word and handshake. You don't know the nuances behind his decision to reopen his recruitment. Don't attack his character without knowing anything about him except that he can ball.

MDABE80
05-27-2016, 09:34 AM
" devolved into the "in my day" argument" a bit of bias tossed in too Don't. Who said it's "devolved". Maybe it should be "evolved". or "elevated"
Let's not forget the greatest generation. He's 17. I don't know many "evolved" 17 yr olds who I'd trust to make a rock solid decision. He'll be at UW in the end. Maybe he just wants to travel around. Who knows.???

When the crew here looks at this type of kid, we have years and years of experience. Nobody's "damning" the kid but we do know (well many of us experienced guys) how this usually rolls. No criticism. He's a UW Romar type no matter what people say while he's "birthing" his final choice.

Something about UW's program. Once Romar gets his mitts into a kid and shows/convinces him of how BIG TIME UW is, outside of Calipari stealing a few kids to Kentucky, usually they stay around Romar. For most, it's a graveyard over there. Outside of a Dickau, Brown or Goss, most don't get it. Whatever happens, we wish this kid the best.

sittingon50
05-27-2016, 11:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhEQW7zNtgA

DukeSilver
05-27-2016, 11:59 AM
" devolved into the "in my day" argument" a bit of bias tossed in too Don't. Who said it's "devolved". Maybe it should be "evolved". or "elevated"

lol

Let's not forget the greatest generation. He's 17. I don't know many "evolved" 17 yr olds who I'd trust to make a rock solid decision.

LOL

Something about UW's program. Once Romar gets his mitts into a kid and shows/convinces him of how BIG TIME UW is, outside of Calipari stealing a few kids to Kentucky, usually they stay around Romar. For most, it's a graveyard over there. Outside of a Dickau, Brown or Goss, most don't get it.

Some seriously sour grapes here ...

Whatever happens, we wish this kid the best.

Yeah, that's definitely clear.

DukeSilver
05-27-2016, 12:03 PM
In an attempt to steer this thread back to sanity, there's a nice highlight video on his Scout page ...

http://www.scout.com/player/194306-daejon-davis

gonzagafan62
05-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Let's not forget the greatest generation. He's 17. I don't know many "evolved" 17 yr olds who I'd trust to make a rock solid decision. He'll be at UW in the end. Maybe he just wants to travel around. Who knows.???

When the crew here looks at this type of kid, we have years and years of experience. Nobody's "damning" the kid but we do know (well many of us experienced guys) how this usually rolls. No criticism. He's a UW Romar type no matter what people say while he's "birthing" his final choice.

Something about UW's program. Once Romar gets his mitts into a kid and shows/convinces him of how BIG TIME UW is, outside of Calipari stealing a few kids to Kentucky, usually they stay around Romar. For most, it's a graveyard over there. Outside of a Dickau, Brown or Goss, most don't get it. Whatever happens, we wish this kid the best.

Absolute truth. Agree 100%

WyoZag
05-27-2016, 12:21 PM
Let's not forget the greatest generation.

What does the "Greatest Generation" have to do with the decommitment of a 17 year old kid?

MDABE80
05-27-2016, 12:26 PM
Hey Duke , now that you've become an editor, let me point out something. WE at GU kick the #### out of UW. Any possible resaon for "sour grapes" is negated by the record alone. No sour grapes at all. Just to be clear. We're doing well enough without the Romar kids. I hope you understand there would be no basis for sour grapes. It's not gonna happen when we're like 10-1 for the past decade.
Just a hint.

MDABE80
05-27-2016, 12:28 PM
What does the "Greatest Generation" have to do with the decommitment of a 17 year old kid?

That's the point. Nothing. When DOnt began the "back in the day" talk, I thought it would be proper to point out the greatest generation is NOT the 17 yr olds. People with experience and the term "devolve" tied to "back in the day" sorta got my attention. Hope that helps.

Coach Crazy
05-27-2016, 12:58 PM
+1

This isn't about integrity. This is about him being perceived "Husky stock" and "one of those types" of players.

And let me re-state. The sad part? Is the kid talks about team, community, coaches, wanting to play in the NBA, wanting to do whatever is asked of him to win, and *BEING AT A UNIVERSITY THAT PREPARES HIM FOR LIFE AFTER COLLEGE, IN THE EVENT THE NBA DOESN'T WORK OUT*. Doesn't sound like a Romar kid. Doesn't sound like a Coach Cal kid. Sounds like a Few-type player. Sounds like a Gonzaga Bulldog.

MDABE80
05-27-2016, 01:33 PM
Might be right Coach. It' s not worth arguing over. Seems like the ornery types will begin a "hassle" over the simplest of statements. We'll see how it works out. Peace!

maynard g krebs
05-27-2016, 01:51 PM
This thread is imo something of an embarrassment to the GU fan base. Hope the kid doesn't read it. Over the years the staff has done a remarkable job of finding kids who play the game with a high IQ as well as being good teammates; very few exceptions. Decommitments are, for better or worse, part of the recruiting game today. I'd have an issue if a kid backed out w/o a really good reason in the fall shortly before signing day and left a program short handed. Doing it now, it really shouldn't be a problem for anybody if it isn't one for those doing the evaluation.

Some really good kids from the Seattle area have chosen to play at UW. I'll root against them as college players but wish them well in their careers.

doctorzag
05-27-2016, 05:33 PM

Well said Abe.

vandalzag
05-28-2016, 07:17 AM
This thread is imo something of an embarrassment to the GU fan base. Hope the kid doesn't read it. Over the years the staff has done a remarkable job of finding kids who play the game with a high IQ as well as being good teammates; very few exceptions. Decommitments are, for better or worse, part of the recruiting game today. I'd have an issue if a kid backed out w/o a really good reason in the fall shortly before signing day and left a program short handed. Doing it now, it really shouldn't be a problem for anybody if it isn't one for those doing the evaluation.

Some really good kids from the Seattle area have chosen to play at UW. I'll root against them as college players but wish them well in their careers.

This. If things changed and the staff took a run at this kid and landed him he would all the sudden change from a"Romar Type" to Zag material in the eyes of the naysayers.

gonzagafan62
05-28-2016, 07:52 AM
This. If things changed and the staff took a run at this kid and landed him he would all the sudden change from a"Romar Type" to Zag material in the eyes of the naysayers.

Sure would. Just don't get why everyone has to diss college kids on here. Many people were wrong with EMac, and look now. He's some type of fan favorite around here.

Trust the staff! You people don't get it!!!!!

Stop thinking you actually know something about these kids because you don't!!!!!!

exclusivelee
05-28-2016, 11:07 AM
Former Huskies and other successful kids from the Seattle area like Jamal Crawford seem to lead these high major caliber Seattle metro kids away from choosing GU. A lot of those kids have grown up watching many recent UW players go pro & have successful NBA careers

At least there are some coaches in the area who actually like Gonzaga. Corey Kispert's high school coach is a Zags fan; & he also has an AAU coach who is a Gonzaga alumnus.

Also of note, Erroll Knight is one of the coaches for Seattle Rotary: http://www.d1circuit.com/page/show/2376202-seattle-rotary-wa-

seacatfan
05-28-2016, 12:22 PM
On the topic of commitment and integrity, coaches can and do change jobs at a moments notice. Sometimes to go to the NBA, sometimes switching to another college team. If the adults can do this, why are teenagers held to a different standard?

Zagdawg
06-01-2016, 06:25 PM
Gonzaga Is Eyeing The Former University Of Washington Commit
http://www.scout.com/college/gonzaga/story/1674973-gonzaga-eyeing-another-top-washington-talent

Once and Future Zag
06-01-2016, 06:31 PM
My short version - as if anyone asked...

"Recruiting over" someone when you have an open scholarship: OK

"Recruiting over" someone when you do not have an open scholarship: not OK

All sophistry about scholarships being "1 year contracts" aside - these are still young men who are figuring out who they are and the difference between promises and reality.

Ekrub
06-01-2016, 06:36 PM
On the topic of commitment and integrity, coaches can and do change jobs at a moments notice. Sometimes to go to the NBA, sometimes switching to another college team. If the adults can do this, why are teenagers held to a different standard?

Bingo. Plates generally come to play for a coach. When that coach leaves for greener pastures...little is said. When a kid makes a decision thag is best for him people freak out.

cjm720
06-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Blame it on Karno, he's taking a schollie now too! Plans change, smart people adapt.

nish_mode
06-01-2016, 08:08 PM
i just saw that Errol Knight is a Seattle Rotary coach. Hopefully he's talked to Daejon first hand about UW vs Zags. Based on Errol's Twitter photo it looks like he used to coach Daejon.

Coach Crazy
06-02-2016, 07:29 AM
If they can get this kid on campus. Just get the kid on an official visit.

Zagdawg
08-02-2016, 06:35 PM
Inside The Kennel ‏@InsideTheKennel 2h2 hours ago
Also hearing that as of right now, @DaejonDavis will be visiting Gonzaga officially from 10/7-10/9

Gonzaga Guru ‏@ZagsGuru 14m14 minutes ago
Daejon Davis may visit Gonzaga on Oct. 7-9. @DaejonDavis & @corey_kispert could form rare instate class for Mark Few

Gonzaga Guru ‏@ZagsGuru 18m18 minutes ago
Gonzaga hasn't landed 2 WA state recruits in same class since 2004 (@Heify42 & @pendo25) & 2003 (Adam Morrison & Derek Raivio)

Gonzaga Guru ‏@ZagsGuru 2h2 hours ago
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted Daejon Davis
Gonzaga among the final 5 for 2017 4�� Seattle guard @DaejonDavis. Should fit well with @corey_kispert in #Zagville

Liked by Gonzaga Guru
Dawg Fan ‏@DawgFan1388 2h2 hours ago
@DaejonDavis Zags = Good fit. UA = Bad degree, good bball. UW = Hometown Hero. UO = Hated by Seattle forever. Stan = Good degree, bad bball.

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/Co5OvKkUEAAndAj.jpg (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/Co5OvKkUEAAndAj.jpg.html)

MontanaCoyote
08-02-2016, 07:45 PM
For a 73 year old a very interesting post. I use to wear a pin when I taught high school (in jest and for fun) that read; " I like you. You remind me of myself when I was young and stupid." No, I'm not even remotely suggestiing thar Daejon is stupid. However, he is a young.....he is a kid, albeit a very talented one. Hey, kids do change their minds, so just let that one ride.

Yes, welcome him to the campus. I'm not sure what Daejon means by "feeling the love," but if he's looking for friendship,
support, being appreciated as a person......On the court and in the classroom.......then GU may well be the place for him.
Our basketball program can more than meet his long term goals if he's headed for a professional basketball career. But GU
offers what the college basketball factories can't......a small school environment, a nationally recognized basketball program
AND not just love but respect and a lifetime of support.

Hope he visits and, after it's all said and done, that his decision proves to be the best one he could make.

thespywhozaggedme
08-02-2016, 08:06 PM
Good post. You should do it more often
For a 73 year old a very interesting post. I use to wear a pin when I taught high school (in jest and for fun) that read; " I like you. You remind me of myself when I was young and stupid." No, I'm not even remotely suggestiing thar Daejon is stupid. However, he is a young.....he is a kid, albeit a very talented one. Hey, kids do change their minds, so just let that one ride.

Yes, welcome him to the campus. I'm not sure what Daejon means by "feeling the love," but if he's looking for friendship,
support, being appreciated as a person......On the court and in the classroom.......then GU may well be the place for him.
Our basketball program can more than meet his long term goals if he's headed for a professional basketball career. But GU
offers what the college basketball factories can't......a small school environment, a nationally recognized basketball program
AND not just love but respect and a lifetime of support.

Hope he visits and, after it's all said and done, that his decision proves to be the best one he could make.

Zagdawg
08-02-2016, 08:18 PM
The 8th is Kraziness in the Kennel and parents weekend is the 7th-9th also--so it would be a good weekend to be here.

MDABE80
08-02-2016, 09:05 PM
I still think he's bound for AZ but he'd do very well here. I'd love to have this kid at GU. I guess he's thought of as UW tainted but it's nonsense. A throwback to the ill will we had for anything UW. We're SOOOO much better now. He'd be right at home with GU. He still may go to UW too but given the record with NBA bound kids, I think he'd do better here. Love to have him.

seacatfan
08-02-2016, 09:17 PM
I still think he's bound for AZ but he'd do very well here. I'd love to have this kid at GU. I guess he's thought of as UW tainted but it's nonsense. A throwback to the ill will we had for anything UW. We're SOOOO much better now. He'd be right at home with GU. He still may go to UW too but given the record with NBA bound kids, I think he'd do better here. Love to have him.

UW tainted? Since he hasn't finished HS yet and never enrolled, don't see how that's a problem. Certainly less UW tainted than Dickau, Knight or Williams-Goss were, and everybody seemed fine with them once they were at GU.

cggonzaga
08-02-2016, 10:50 PM

I think you're off base here. I see his final 3 being GU, Oregon and Washington in that order.

MDABE80
08-02-2016, 11:49 PM
I hope you're right. AZ seems to snag quite a few of Seattle kids. Love to see us no 1 on his list.

exclusivelee
08-03-2016, 07:34 AM
2 Crystal Ball predictions for Daejon Davis to land at Oregon within the last 15 days, including one yesterday:

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Daejon-Davis-at-Garfield-138105/CurrentExpertPredictions

The first pick was from a Kentucky blogger, and the latest is from an Oregon insider

MontanaCoyote
08-03-2016, 07:46 AM
Good post. You should do it more often
Thanks! Maybe a little gray perspective is worth considering now and then. Just love our ZAG kids!

CDC84
08-03-2016, 09:16 AM
Draft Express write up from last year:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Daejon-Davis-90080/

MDABE80
08-03-2016, 10:16 AM
UW tainted? Since he hasn't finished HS yet and never enrolled, don't see how that's a problem. Certainly less UW tainted than Dickau, Knight or Williams-Goss were, and everybody seemed fine with them once they were at GU.

I see you joined in 2014. If you were here 1998 to about 2006, you know the hate on this board for anything UW. He chose em and he loves the place. I'm surprised he reopened his recruuitment from what he's alread said about UW. It's not a big deal anyway. Lee says it's Oregon. COuld be. Dana''s got a serious program ongoing. Superior facilities due to Nike and Dana'a master recruiter who fills the holes in his team year in and out. 5-10 team this year. Davis would be foolish not to look at that program.

maynard g krebs
08-03-2016, 10:30 AM
There's a kid who has been playing at my gym this summer who was on the Garfield jv last season. He's friends with Davis, Nowell et al, and a few weeks ago told my brother that Davis wants to go to UCLA and is waiting, hoping for an offer from them, fwiw. After Ball et al, UCLA must be recruiting on a UK/Duke level for this class if they consider Davis a backup plan.

Kid who says this is very credible- 4.0 student at Garfield, about 6'4 or 5 and would start for most hs varsities, stays at Garfield for the honors program; prioritizes academics over bb.

exclusivelee
08-03-2016, 11:02 AM
There's a kid who has been playing at my gym this summer who was on the Garfield jv last season. He's friends with Davis, Nowell et al, and a few weeks ago told my brother that Davis wants to go to UCLA and is waiting, hoping for an offer from them, fwiw. After Ball et al, UCLA must be recruiting on a UK/Duke level for this class if they consider Davis a backup plan.

Kid who says this is very credible- 4.0 student at Garfield, about 6'4 or 5 and would start for most hs varsities, stays at Garfield for the honors program; prioritizes academics over bb.

It doesn't seem to matter how much UCLA underperforms or who is coaching, the Bruins rich basketball history allows them to get commitments so many top tier talents. And that's even before any of the 3 Ball brothers commit there. I guess Daejon didn't want to wait any longer for the UCLA offer.

BTW, I wasn't saying Daejon would choose Oregon, just mentioned that is what 2 "experts" are saying on 247sports.

Coach Crazy
08-03-2016, 11:32 AM

Good to know. If that is indeed the case, then all the staff can do is make the pitch like UCLA isn't in the picture, and if they offer...then you have done all you can do.

CDC84
08-03-2016, 12:45 PM
And the 247sports experts are frequently wrong unless it's Jerry Meyer...and even he can change his mind with new developments.

maynard g krebs
08-03-2016, 04:33 PM
Good to know. If that is indeed the case, then all the staff can do is make the pitch like UCLA isn't in the picture, and if they offer...then you have done all you can do.

That was a few weeks ago, as I said. Apparently down to 5 and done waiting, from the report on 247. Kid showed my brother a picture on his phone with something like 50 letters from Stanford spread out in Davis' room. Recruiting's pretty crazy.

Coach Crazy
08-04-2016, 07:32 AM
That was a few weeks ago, as I said. Apparently down to 5 and done waiting, from the report on 247. Kid showed my brother a picture on his phone with something like 50 letters from Stanford spread out in Davis' room. Recruiting's pretty crazy.

Fair enough. Even still, it would be interesting to see if UCLA could pull a Coach Cal and get him, even after they were not a part of his final group.

seacatfan
08-04-2016, 12:38 PM
I see you joined in 2014. If you were here 1998 to about 2006, you know the hate on this board for anything UW. He chose em and he loves the place. I'm surprised he reopened his recruuitment from what he's alread said about UW. It's not a big deal anyway. Lee says it's Oregon. COuld be. Dana''s got a serious program ongoing. Superior facilities due to Nike and Dana'a master recruiter who fills the holes in his team year in and out. 5-10 team this year. Davis would be foolish not to look at that program.

Oh, I know about the hate for UW. It didn't disappear after 2006, it still lingers quite heavily. But NWG just transferred from UW recently and was welcomed with open arms. I can't see how a kid who verbally committed there but then re-opened his recruitment, without ever having been a student at UW or a player on their team, can be tainted.

Coach Crazy
08-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Oh, I know about the hate for UW. It didn't disappear after 2006, it still lingers quite heavily. But NWG just transferred from UW recently and was welcomed with open arms. I can't see how a kid who verbally committed there but then re-opened his recruitment, without ever having been a student at UW or a player on their team, can be tainted.

Agreed. Not to mention the recruitment of he and Kispert can work toward making Gonzaga a destination for more of those Seattle kids. I don't want to put a violet letter on these guys. We want more of them coming to GU. "Traitors" welcome.

MDABE80
08-04-2016, 03:27 PM
Agreed. Not to mention the recruitment of he and Kispert can work toward making Gonzaga a destination for more of those Seattle kids. I don't want to put a violet letter on these guys. We want more of them coming to GU. "Traitors" welcome.

A lil help fu yas Coach....it's "Scarlet" letter;)

Coach Crazy
08-04-2016, 03:30 PM
A lil help fu yas Coach....it's "Scarlet" letter;)

Hahaha I know. I was trying to be creative. Seeing as how scarlet is not a color for the Dubbies.

DukeSilver
08-12-2016, 03:07 PM
Anybody on here have Scout access? SSF reporting that he'll be on campus for Kraziness!

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1695464-daejon-davis-sets-four-official-visits

exclusivelee
08-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Anybody on here have Scout access? SSF retweeted that he'll be on campus for Kraziness!

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1695464-daejon-davis-sets-four-official-visits

Daejon Davis set up 4 of his 5 official visits:

Oregon: Sept. 23
Stanford: Sept. 30
Gonzaga: Oct. 7
Arizona: Oct. 14

Hasn't scheduled a visit to Washington, but he plans to take one. Those schools comprise Daejon's final 5

Kraziness in the Kennel is scheduled for October 8 (https://zagsguru.wordpress.com/2016-17-gonzaga-schedule/)

DukeSilver
08-12-2016, 04:53 PM
Daejon Davis set up 4 of his 5 official visits:

Oregon: Sept. 23
Stanford: Sept. 30
Gonzaga: Oct. 7
Arizona: Oct. 14

Hasn't scheduled a visit to Washington, but he plans to take one. Those schools comprise Daejon's final 5

Kraziness in the Kennel is scheduled for October 8 (https://zagsguru.wordpress.com/2016-17-gonzaga-schedule/)

I think if he makes it off Oregon's campus without committing, then the Zags have as good of a shot as anyone in that group ... It's a bit concerning that they're first in line, though.

MontanaCoyote
08-12-2016, 09:14 PM
I think if he makes it off Oregon's campus without committing, then the Zags have as good of a shot as anyone in that group ... It's a bit concerning that they're first in line, though.

Agreed! Hope Daejon gives himself the chance to see and feel what college life on a smaller campus would be like. Big time
B Ball, caring campus. Can't be beat in my book. Hope he agrees.

Zagdawg
08-12-2016, 09:40 PM
Gary Bell Jr.
‏@GBell_5 Gary Bell Jr. Retweeted Gonzaga Guru
@RemFifteen you gotta show lil bro a good time

Rem Bakamus ‏@RemFifteen 4h4 hours ago
@GBell_5 my specialty!

23zagmd
08-15-2016, 10:56 PM
Word on the street in Seattle, he is friends with my son and a few of his teammates at Seattle Academy.....its UW and would be a shocker if he leaves town, unfortunately!

Zagdawg
08-16-2016, 06:35 AM
On a positive note UW has Jaylen Nowell already signed at the shooting guard position in the same class-- another highly regarded incoming player--Also a Blake Harris coming in as a shooting guard --not as highly rated.

What they don't have is another point guard coming in to replace Fultz --with all of the rumors of him being a one and done.

willandi
08-16-2016, 06:47 AM
Can Davis wait to commit until after we thrash UW this season? It might help him decide whether he wants to stay in Seattle or join a team that plays after the end of the conference season!

MDABE80
08-16-2016, 11:27 AM
Can Davis wait to commit until after we thrash UW this season? It might help him decide whether he wants to stay in Seattle or join a team that plays after the end of the conference season!

Will great post! lol! The logical man is among us. He should wait. TV time and perhaps we could ruin some visits. Something about those kids in Seattle. They love the city and are indoctrinated to think things are great with Romar. But when your all PAC 12 and leading scorer (Goss) bolts for Spokane, you might think that something's up on the home front and it isn't good. We beat them convincingly last year when they had two NBA kids on the team. Then UW went on to not much. I cannot see GU losing this year. Seattle's a great place though.

jazzdelmar
08-16-2016, 12:51 PM
I've said this before and at the risk of being called naive, ignorant or uniformed, I say it again: Why do GU fans even care about the hoops programs in Seattle and Pullman? To me, an admitted outlander and non GNW person (though I did basic at Lewis and advanced training at Yakima FC and once biked across the whole darn state), it's demeaning to the brilliant program in Spokane to even give the Pac whatever teams the time of day. The contortions over Romar this or Romar that, quit that. As Kramer said in a Seinfeld epi, they are waayyyyyyy down there, and we are wayyyyyy up here.

Zagdawg
08-16-2016, 12:57 PM
Same reason you have a bit of ill will toward your local program --- San Diego State--

I don't know that there is any ill will toward the Cougs in Pullman.

webspinnre
08-16-2016, 01:03 PM
I've said this before and at the risk of being called naive, ignorant or uniformed, I say it again: Why do GU fans even care about the hoops programs in Seattle and Pullman? To me, an admitted outlander and non GNW person (though I did basic at Lewis and advanced training at Yakima FC and once biked across the whole darn state), it's demeaning to the brilliant program in Spokane to even give the Pac whatever teams the time of day. The contortions over Romar this or Romar that, quit that. As Kramer said in a Seinfeld epi, they are waayyyyyyy down there, and we are wayyyyyy up here.

I'm not in Spokane anymore, but I imagine alot of it is backlash against the perceived (and real) looking down upon everything east of the mountains by many of those in the greater Seattle area.

Coach Crazy
08-16-2016, 01:18 PM

I think it's an interesting situation. On one hand, we hadn't played UW in forever, before last season. And while we had the Battle in Seattle going on, we didn't always play competition that would attract the Seattle recruiting pool that UW fishes out of. Nor does GU play a style of ball that is going to be a strong selling point, even if they *did* show up to watch the game. It appears that player development and winning have made the biggest impact.

But at the same time, I don't know what the effects would be of withdrawing from Seattle completely? We are on the doorstep of cracking the Seattle recruiting door open. Get Daejon and Corey and see what happens...

jazzdelmar
08-16-2016, 01:50 PM
If we fixate on any west comp at all, it should be Zona, maybe Utah, UCLA, and I hesitate to add, SDSU. Stanford for other reasons. The nonpareil institution in the country.

vandalzag
08-16-2016, 02:42 PM
If we fixate on any west comp at all, it should be Zona, maybe Utah, UCLA, and I hesitate to add, SDSU. Stanford for other reasons. The nonpareil institution in the country.

Some on this site are more fixated than others. Kind of a dead horse situation to post everything pertaining to the UW. One would assume the programs lack of relevance would be enough to turn their attention elsewhere. But then again Ted Bundy was a Husky so there is some need for vigilance.

nish_mode
08-16-2016, 02:56 PM
I think it's an interesting situation. On one hand, we hadn't played UW in forever, before last season. And while we had the Battle in Seattle going on, we didn't always play competition that would attract the Seattle recruiting pool that UW fishes out of. Nor does GU play a style of ball that is going to be a strong selling point, even if they *did* show up to watch the game. It appears that player development and winning have made the biggest impact.

But at the same time, I don't know what the effects would be of withdrawing from Seattle completely? We are on the doorstep of cracking the Seattle recruiting door open. Get Daejon and Corey and see what happens...

I agree, the last Seattle area kid we got was Gary Bell. The Zags need to build some sort of relationship with the Rotary and FOH programs. There is so much talent in the Seattle area it can not be ignored. The Zags just need to land one of these kids that stays a few years and makes the NBA. This will show that the recruits can win AND get to the next level. This could go a long with with changing the perception of the program with the inner city kids.

Bogozags
08-16-2016, 06:54 PM

Bel careful for what you ask!

Not sure we should put all our eggs in one basket!

willandi
08-16-2016, 07:35 PM
Bel careful for what you ask!

Not sure we should put all our eggs in one basket!

What is this basket thing you talk about? Eggs? We ain't got no stinkin' eggs!

jazzdelmar
08-17-2016, 04:29 AM

Or as Woody ends Annie Hall:

“My brother thinks he’s a chicken.”

“Why don’t you get him some therapy?”

“I would, but we need the eggs.”

Bogozags
08-19-2016, 09:29 AM

Ok, then don't put all our TACOs in one basket! Is that better :o

seacatfan
08-19-2016, 11:57 AM
Word on the street in Seattle, he is friends with my son and a few of his teammates at Seattle Academy.....its UW and would be a shocker if he leaves town, unfortunately!

I have no info, this may certainly be true, but I wonder why he backed off his verbal and reopened his recruitment if he's always been UW all along.

cggonzaga
08-19-2016, 03:16 PM
Agreed seacat. Started writing that a few days ago but got sidetracked. Just wouldn't make much sense.

doctorzag
08-19-2016, 05:14 PM
I have no info, this may certainly be true, but I wonder why he backed off his verbal and reopened his recruitment if he's always been UW all along.

Maybe just wanted some attention and love he feels he did not get by committing so early. Some of these kids just need their egos stroked.

GrizZAG
08-20-2016, 04:44 PM
I think it is safe to state that kids who are Zag players in Spokane are local Rock Stars of our city. All of them. Not many programs have that kind of local profile.

The fan base is enormous here and actually in areas of the country one could not imagine. Even in S. Cal where I spend winters there are tons of Zag fans. Interestingly I never miss a Zag game on TV programming in Palm Desert through the season. Nearly every Zag game is on while one cannot find a UCLA, SDSU or other S. Cal team games hardly. i see St. Mary's occasionally but nothing as frequent as Zag games. Go figure.

Zagdawg
08-22-2016, 12:16 PM
Gonzaga Guru and Daejon Davis liked this
Ben Cary ‏@zagfan8741 Aug 21
Would be so cool if @DaejonDavis visited campus for the UW Gonzaga game in December. Get a real taste for a home court advantage

willandi
08-22-2016, 02:54 PM
Ok, then don't put all our TACOs in one basket! Is that better :o

Still with the basket thing! Truth is, I don't much know or care. If the Coaching staff knows and cares, it is enough for me. Besides, I hardly think one player, no matter which one from wherever, could fill up that basket thingie!

DixieZag
08-22-2016, 04:40 PM
Gonzaga Guru and Daejon Davis liked this
Ben Cary ‏@zagfan8741 Aug 21
Would be so cool if @DaejonDavis visited campus for the UW Gonzaga game in December. Get a real taste for a home court advantage

Well, that can't be a bad thing.

gonzagafan62
08-22-2016, 06:00 PM
I think it is safe to state that kids who are Zag players in Spokane are local Rock Stars of our city. All of them. Not many programs have that kind of local profile.

The fan base is enormous here and actually in areas of the country one could not imagine. Even in S. Cal where I spend winters there are tons of Zag fans. Interestingly I never miss a Zag game on TV programming in Palm Desert through the season. Nearly every Zag game is on while one cannot find a UCLA, SDSU or other S. Cal team games hardly. i see St. Mary's occasionally but nothing as frequent as Zag games. Go figure.

I loved 60 miles from St. Louis and I haven't missed one game since 08. Lots of zags fans in the area - including the one and only whoohoo.

Zags_Fanatic
08-22-2016, 07:15 PM
I loved 60 miles from St. Louis and I haven't missed one game since 08. Lots of zags fans in the area - including the one and only whoohoo.

So the important question: Sugarfire or Pappy's?

thegloriousgoateeofKP
08-22-2016, 07:43 PM
So the important question: Sugarfire or Pappy's?

Pappy's, hands down.

And @ 62: You, me, and Woohoo are going to Nashville, right??

Zagdawg
08-26-2016, 06:44 PM
Arizona just signed a 2017 shooting guard--- hopefully this helps us a little bit for Daejon

Daejon Davis ‏@DaejonDavis 2h2 hours ago
Daejon Davis Retweeted Alex Barcello
congrats bro

Alex Barcello
‏@AlexBarcello23
Extremely blessed to announce my commitment to the University of Arizona #BearDown ��⬇️

Zag_Dad
09-30-2016, 01:50 PM
Arizona just signed a 2017 shooting guard--- hopefully this helps us a little bit for Daejon

Daejon Davis ‏@DaejonDavis 2h2 hours ago
Daejon Davis Retweeted Alex Barcello
congrats bro

Alex Barcello
‏@AlexBarcello23
Extremely blessed to announce my commitment to the University of Arizona #BearDown ��⬇️

Is there any news on Daejon Davis? Last I heard (a long time ago), people were speculating that he would visit GU during Kraziness in Kennel weekend. Crystal Ball has him projected to go to Oregon.

Zagdawg
09-30-2016, 04:36 PM
He had just posted a video of his attendance at a Oregon football game-- the fans were chanting his name -- he looked like he was enjoying his time on the visit.

Zagdawg
10-07-2016, 08:59 AM
Scout 100 Recruit Daejon Davis Discusses His Upcoming Visit To Gonzaga

He sounds like an Oregon lean.....but you never know.

Hoping the Kennel Club brings it the way the Oregon students did to make him feel welcome and needed.

http://www.scout.com/college/gonzaga/story/1714821-daejon-davis-previews-gonzaga-visit

cggonzaga
10-07-2016, 01:28 PM
Scout 100 Recruit Daejon Davis Discusses His Upcoming Visit To Gonzaga

He sounds like an Oregon lean.....but you never know.

Hoping the Kennel Club brings it the way the Oregon students did to make him feel welcome and needed.

http://www.scout.com/college/gonzaga/story/1714821-daejon-davis-previews-gonzaga-visit

Bump. Hopefully the students are planning some kind of chant for him and Kispert. Recruits love that stuff.

Murphy outgo lifer
10-08-2016, 08:09 PM
Very disappointed that the Kennel Club did not do anything for Davis.

HenneZag
10-08-2016, 09:46 PM
Very disappointed that the Kennel Club did not do anything for Davis.

Bummer. I know in past we did something for GBJ, but in recent years not much for recruits on hand. You have to think they know their is a high profile recruit in house. I know GU takes a more passive approach but a lil love is ok.

MDABE80
10-08-2016, 09:57 PM
We're ok out front with or without him bt the classy thing to do would be to welcome him warmly. I don't understand why the kids arent fired up over the possible newcomers. Spoiled now? It doesn't look good. So easy to look good if the KC would organize something for the touring faces.

KStyles
10-08-2016, 10:35 PM
We're ok out front with or without him bt the classy thing to do would be to welcome him warmly. I don't understand why the kids arent fired up over the possible newcomers. Spoiled now? It doesn't look good. So easy to look good if the KC would organize something for the touring faces.

Not chanting doesn't mean not fired up.

NCAA has rules against publicizing recruiting visits. Members of the institution chanting his name could be deemed publicizing and a secondary violation.

MDABE80
10-08-2016, 11:22 PM
Please...........welcome him warmly hardly qualities..

kyle dixon
10-09-2016, 08:59 AM
I hope the Zags land him! Excited to see how this plays out!

ZagOD7540
10-10-2016, 08:45 AM
To me, Davis seemed very disinterested throughout. He just kind of sat back in his seat the whole time Never seemed thrilled with anything.
Kispert seemed excited. He had his phone out videoing the Kennel Club going crazy. Saw him play this summer with the Zags. He's going to be a great add to the program. Davis will go elsewhere I bet.

raise the zag
10-10-2016, 09:09 AM
Davis will go elsewhere I bet.

Shoot for the *stars*, yet felt this way from the beginning.

Something about the relationship doesn't feel right…can't explain.

Maybe its a gut feeling, but Daejon feels more like trying to prove we can recruit highly rated guys from UW's backyard or something…just an unusual target, imho.

Could be a sign of things to come?

I feel this kid has been UW's or Oregon's (Zona?) for months now…but that's just my feeling...

Zagdawg
10-10-2016, 09:10 AM
Oregon --IMO

DukeSilver
10-10-2016, 09:48 AM
Not sure why we're being so dismissive ... He would be a huge get for the program - highly-skilled, highly-rated kid who seemed genuinely excited about visiting GU in the interviews that were done ahead of this weekend. Hard to predict what the deciding factors will be for any recruit, but an interpretation of his demeanor during Kraziness is far from a smoking-gun one way or the other.

I, for one, hope he's a Zag this time next year.

Murphy outgo lifer
10-10-2016, 10:23 AM
To me, Davis seemed very disinterested throughout. He just kind of sat back in his seat the whole time Never seemed thrilled with anything.
Kispert seemed excited. He had his phone out videoing the Kennel Club going crazy. Saw him play this summer with the Zags. He's going to be a great add to the program. Davis will go elsewhere I bet.

I thought the same thing originally, however, after looking at interviews and other things on Davis I believe that he is a very laid back person. Like others have said he has said some great things about Gonzaga in the lead up to Kraziness and he has tweeted and retweeted a lot of things about Gonzaga and Kraziness (more so than other schools from what I could tell). I agree that he probably has a favorite at this point but I'm not ready to say that isn't the zags (one of the best program in the country for combo guards in my opinion).

Mr Vulture
10-10-2016, 12:05 PM
I'm not going to pretend to have any idea what Davis or any other kid is thinking. With that said, I don't get the feeling that we are really in the running on this one even though he visited.

I thought the same thing originally, however, after looking at interviews and other things on Davis I believe that he is a very laid back person. Like others have said he has said some great things about Gonzaga in the lead up to Kraziness and he has tweeted and retweeted a lot of things about Gonzaga and Kraziness (more so than other schools from what I could tell). I agree that he probably has a favorite at this point but I'm not ready to say that isn't the zags (one of the best program in the country for combo guards in my opinion).

Zags_Fanatic
10-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Oregon just picked up a commitment from Top 100 SG Victor Bailey Jr. Can't rule out the possibility that it will affect Daejon's decision if he was leaning Oregon. Bailey's commitment was pretty unexpected.

Fonebone
10-11-2016, 09:04 PM
Disinterested ? I was sitting next to a guy at Craziness who has season tickets at Arizona - his daughter goes to GU. I mentioned how Davis looked disintersted, he noticed the same thing, but he said that he sees the same thing from lots of 5 star guys that visit Arizona. It bugs him to see that, but he says a lot of them still commit. He said don't read it as a kid not being interested.

jazzdelmar
10-12-2016, 03:06 AM
Disinterested ? I was sitting next to a guy at Craziness who has season tickets at Arizona - his daughter goes to GU. I mentioned how Davis looked disintersted, he noticed the same thing, but he said that he sees the same thing from lots of 5 star guys that visit Arizona. It bugs him to see that, but he says a lot of them still commit. He said don't read it as a kid not being interested.

McKale has quite a different vibe than GU. Zona is more Southern California than desert. The pressure to be cool must be palpable.

Bogozags
10-12-2016, 03:13 AM
McKale has quite a different vibe than GU. Zona is more Southern California than desert. The pressure to be cool must be palpable.

I have a hard time remembering names but I DO REMEMBER how confident we were that two recruits were going to come here and they chose USC and SDSU...I mean we reserved their rooms and places at the dinner table...

From what I have been reading on here for years is that kids are kids and we just never know which "date" they want to take to the prom...of course, "It ain't over til it's over!"

I asked previously, our scholarship bowl is full so if Davis does chose us who leaves???

PS: After 21" of rain, we were really fortunate that only felled trees were the issue...lost power for 4 hours...VERY, VERY LUCKY (THANKS BE TO GOD)!

DukeSilver
10-12-2016, 09:49 AM
Zona just picked up a commitment from 4-star 2017 wing Brandon Randolph, #38 overall player in the class according to Scout.

It might just be me, but a lot of the schools that some on this board saw as more likely destinations for Davis seem to already have similar players to him in their 2017 classes, particularly Oregon, Zona, and UW.

That leaves us and Stanford, seems like that's a battle we have a pretty good shot at winning.

seacatfan
10-12-2016, 10:03 AM
I have never had any idea where Davis is going to end up and still don't. Other schools he was considering signing another wing prospect doesn't automatically rule them out though. A 2 and a 3 are often interchangeable, plus some kids like going where other talented prospects are already heading, while others prefer not to have perceived competition for PT.

Zagdawg
10-12-2016, 10:50 AM
oops--posted above already

"With the commitment of four-star shooting guard Brandon Randolph, Arizona has joined Auburn at the top of the 2017 recruiting rankings."

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Arizona-Auburn-on-top-in-2017-recruiting-48199129

DukeSilver
10-12-2016, 11:09 AM
I have never had any idea where Davis is going to end up and still don't. Other schools he was considering signing another wing prospect doesn't automatically rule them out though. A 2 and a 3 are often interchangeable, plus some kids like going where other talented prospects are already heading, while others prefer not to have perceived competition for PT.

Not saying that schools that have signed similar players are "ruled out" exactly, just that it's a major aspect of the recruiting process in which we might have a big leg up.

seacatfan
10-12-2016, 11:14 AM
I've seen Bailey, the Oregon commit, and Barcello, the Arizona commit, listed as PG. Not sure those commits are going to do anything one way or another as far as Davis's recruitment is concerned. He is a 2G, correct?

Zagdawg
10-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Zona just signed 2 shooting/combo guards in Barcello and Randolph -- make impact Davis commitment choice.

ESPN on Barcello
6-2, 175 | Class of 2017
HometownPhoenix, Ariz.SchoolCorona Del Sol High School Position Shooting Guard Status Committed Arizona 08/26/2016

ESPN on Randolph
6-6, 180 | Class of 2017
HometownYonkers, N.Y.SchoolWesttown School Position Shooting Guard Status Committed Arizona 10/12/2016

Oregon guards Dorsey(So)/Pritchard (Fr)/Benson(Jr) and added Bailey(2017 FR)---Small bailed-- not sure if they have any additional transfers coming in also.

seacatfan
10-12-2016, 11:50 AM
Maybe somebody is listing Barcello as a combo, but it seems to me Arizona fans are considering him strictly a PG. Randolph could definitely be seen as competing with Davis for minutes on the wing, I'll give you that. They seem a little crowded in the backcourt right now, but Allen is a Sr. and any of Trier, Simmons and Alkins wouldn't be too surprising if they declare for the draft after the season, so I think there will quite a bit more room than it appears by next season.

How many guards/wings will GU have next year? Maybe if he has a really good season NWG declares, but still leaves Perkins, Melson, Norvell, Alberts, Jones, Wade coming off his mission (I think, maybe I'm a year ahead of myself?), and incoming Kispert. So plenty of bodies already at GU as well. Gets back to does a kid not mind competition, or does he want a situation where it looks like he has a clear path to plenty of PT? Depends on the kid.

DixieZag
10-12-2016, 12:34 PM
oops--posted above already

"With the commitment of four-star shooting guard Brandon Randolph, Arizona has joined Auburn at the top of the 2017 recruiting rankings."

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Arizona-Auburn-on-top-in-2017-recruiting-48199129

Auburn?

thespywhozaggedme
10-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Auburn?

Bruce Pearl can recruit

seacatfan
10-12-2016, 12:59 PM
Auburn?

Really early. Most of the top recruits haven't committed yet, list will change dramatically. More about quantity than quality right now. Notice Duke and Kentucky aren't near the top of the list. They will get more than their share of the Burger Boys just like every year and finish near the top of the recruiting lists.

CDC84
10-12-2016, 03:19 PM
Team recruiting rankings are problematic as it is.......they really aren't the true measure of a class. If your program gets just one player, but that player is Kevin Durant, his individual value and talent might mean more than three top 50 players combined who committed to some other team.

DixieZag
10-12-2016, 05:43 PM
Bruce Pearl can recruit

Ok, that at least brings it into the real world.

I didn't know he was back coaching or that he had landed there.

Thanks

nish_mode
10-13-2016, 04:42 PM
Daejon has eliminated Arizona per his instagram.

Zagdawg
10-13-2016, 05:47 PM
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/DAvis.png (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/DAvis.png.html)

Murphy outgo lifer
10-27-2016, 01:12 PM
Has anyone heard anything regarding Daejon? He just made his last official visit to UW this last weekend. He stated he wasn't in any rush to make a decision but Kispert said something similar and he announce within a week of his last visit. So wondering if anyone has heard any rumblings about which way he is leaning?

Zag_Dad
10-27-2016, 03:46 PM
Has anyone heard anything regarding Daejon? He just made his last official visit to UW this last weekend. He stated he wasn't in any rush to make a decision but Kispert said something similar and he announce within a week of his last visit. So wondering if anyone has heard any rumblings about which way he is leaning?

Crystal Ball has him projected to go to Oregon. Looks like the people making that projection are associated with Oregon and Arizona.

Zagceo
11-04-2016, 01:29 PM
Says less than a week on his twitter feed before deciding

DukeSilver
11-04-2016, 01:33 PM
Hopeful that Davis will be a Zag, as he would fill a big need in the next 2-4 years and would make an incredible final piece to our 2017 class, but would understand the choice to go elsewhere.

Keeping my fingers crossed ...

Virginia Zags Fan
11-04-2016, 02:47 PM
Really hoping he wants to be a Zag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cggonzaga
11-04-2016, 04:23 PM
Really hoping he wants to be a Zag!

Sorry to be a negative Nancy but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Virginia Zags Fan
11-04-2016, 06:46 PM
No worries cg and I get it. Fortunately, My happiness is not dependent on whether teenagers commit to Gonzaga or go elsewhere. But, I still hope that good, quality young ladies and gents continue to choose and attend GU.

TexasZagFan
11-05-2016, 09:26 AM
No worries cg and I get it. Fortunately, My happiness is not dependent on whether teenagers commit to Gonzaga or go elsewhere. But, I still hope that good, quality young ladies and gents continue to choose and attend GU.

Your hopes will be realized, in spades. Program remains on an upward trajectory, the best is yet to come.

Virginia Zags Fan
11-05-2016, 10:11 AM
Phew! I'll come back off the ledge[emoji13]

Murphy outgo lifer
11-05-2016, 11:02 AM
ESPN top 100 SF Troy Brown Jr has set his announcement for Monday Nov 7th. 247 sports has Cal and Oregon as the front runners and director of scouting Jerry Meyer has him going to Oregon . I am hoping that he chooses Oregon as that would use up all of Oregon's scholarships for next year (although it is likely that some scholarships will open up with several players being potential draft picks for next year). Also, Brown's commitment would make it's 2017 recruiting class full of similar positioned players as Daejon. Currently Oregon has commits from ESPN 100 SG Victor Bailey and 4 Star SF Abu Kigab.

His commitment could potentially help the Zags because Daejon stated to Scout.com about Gonzaga that, “If they aren’t going to bring any other guys with me but Corey, that gives them an advantage."

Oregon has several other scholarships out for 2017.

Bogozags
11-07-2016, 03:52 AM
ESPN top 100 SF Troy Brown Jr has set his announcement for Monday Nov 7th. 247 sports has Cal and Oregon as the front runners and director of scouting Jerry Meyer has him going to Oregon . I am hoping that he chooses Oregon as that would use up all of Oregon's scholarships for next year (although it is likely that some scholarships will open up with several players being potential draft picks for next year). Also, Brown's commitment would make it's 2017 recruiting class full of similar positioned players as Daejon. Currently Oregon has commits from ESPN 100 SG Victor Bailey and 4 Star SF Abu Kigab.

His commitment could potentially help the Zags because Daejon stated to Scout.com about Gonzaga that, “If they aren’t going to bring any other guys with me but Corey, that gives them an advantage."

Oregon has several other scholarships out for 2017.

I wonder if he has forgotten Jesse Wade! I hope he comes here but I don't see him choosing us for the same reason he didn't chose us originally. Also, we don't have any scholarships so it would seem that a current player on scholarship in 2017 would have to play as a walk-on or transfer...

Thoughts?

ZagOD7540
11-07-2016, 07:43 AM
Bye Bye Ryan or Bryan. Edwards should head out and play for the Eags or the Griz.

DukeSilver
11-07-2016, 08:42 AM
According to Jeff Borzello, Davis will announce today at 12:45 PT, 15 minutes after Troy Brown who has been trending towards Oregon on 247 the last couple days ...

Don't really know what to make of that timing.

willandi
11-07-2016, 08:46 AM
Bye Bye Ryan or Bryan. Edwards should head out and play for the Eags or the Griz.

I too thought it would most likely be one of those two, but didn't want to name names. Personally I think the shorter would benefit most, as he wants (I think) to have a game after college. The taller has local ties in the area and is working to develop job skills that would keep him around. I haven't heard that he wants to go beyond getting his degree from Gonzaga.

We'll just have to wait and see. It could just as easily be someone that the staff wants to RS and they want to resist that.

Zagdawg
11-07-2016, 09:20 AM
He has been retweeting a lot of UW stuff-- I am thinking that he is leaning that direction (again)-- but would be ok with being wrong with that guess.

Goshzagit
11-07-2016, 09:44 AM

I too thought it would most likely be one of those two, but didn't want to name names. Personally I think the shorter would benefit most, as he wants (I think) to have a game after college. The taller has local ties in the area and is working to develop job skills that would keep him around. I haven't heard that he wants to go beyond getting his degree from Gonzaga.

We'll just have to wait and see. It could just as easily be someone that the staff wants to RS and they want to resist that.

I dont follow? Please explain the connection.

Murphy outgo lifer
11-07-2016, 09:45 AM
According to Jeff Borzello, Davis will announce today at 12:45 PT, 15 minutes after Troy Brown who has been trending towards Oregon on 247 the last couple days ...

Don't really know what to make of that timing.

The timing cannot be coincidental. The only thing the two have in common is they both had Oregon in their final teams. My guess is that Daejon had Oregon as his number one and was waiting to see if Brown committed to Oregon or not. He has probably heard by now via coaches if Brown chose Oregon. Either that it they are both going to Oregon. Just my guess.

willandi
11-07-2016, 10:18 AM
I dont follow? Please explain the connection.

message sent

Virginia Zags Fan
11-07-2016, 11:02 AM

Really have to disagree with this. If they want to be Zags they should remain Zags. The coaches are the only people who can truly evaluate a player's value to the program from the program perspective.

Zag_Dad
11-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Troy Brown picked Oregon .... Davis' decision is next

Mr Vulture
11-07-2016, 11:37 AM
I haven't heard but I expect it to be UW...would welcome him with open arms if it was the Zags though!

EDIT: After seeing his twitter I am 99% sure he's going UW...

Zag_Dad
11-07-2016, 11:46 AM
I haven't heard but I expect it to be UW...would welcome him with open arms if it was the Zags though!

EDIT: After seeing his twitter I am 99% sure he's going UW...

And there it is ... Daejon will play against GU as a Husky.

VinnyZag
11-07-2016, 11:46 AM
Tweet from Jeff Borzello:

Top-50 prospect Daejon Davis has committed to Washington (again).

He originally committed in August 2015, then decommitted in April.

madness
11-07-2016, 11:48 AM
Bummer news but can't fault the kid

DukeSilver
11-07-2016, 11:50 AM
Wow ... After they almost dropped a game to WESTERN ...

That's a tough one to swallow, but hard to deny Romar's ability to get guys to the NBA. Continues to be an effective recruiting pitch.

Virginia Zags Fan
11-07-2016, 11:53 AM
I wish Daejon all the best with his decision. And I hope we crush the Huskies:)

cggonzaga
11-07-2016, 12:00 PM
It has to be tough for a recruit to commit to GU within the next couple of years. Early playing time is probably not happening.

DukeSilver
11-07-2016, 12:07 PM
Silver lining here is that we keep a potential spot open for a transfer ... A market where the Zags have been VERY successful in the last few years.

Zag_Dad
11-07-2016, 12:10 PM
Silver lining here is that we keep a potential spot open for a transfer ... A market where the Zags have been VERY successful in the last few years.

That's actually not the case. Our roster is full as of right now. If Davis had chosen Gonzaga it would have meant that coaches are anticipating a roster spot opening up via transfer or early departure for NBA. Karnowski and Matthews end their college careers after this year and we have Kispert and Wade coming in next year.

MDABE80
11-07-2016, 12:16 PM
Like or not ( I don't) there will be spots opening after this season.

NotoriousZ
11-07-2016, 12:22 PM
Congrats to UW. His going there should hopefully gain them more wins and boost our rpi. I still don't think they'll be beating us anytime soon.

Mr Vulture
11-07-2016, 12:31 PM
I tend to agree with you, I think there will be at least one and as many as three open spots after this season for varying reasons. This would be after Karno/Mathews leave and Kispert/Wade arrive. I just hope that it is ultimately the players decision to pursue other avenues if the time comes. I am not going to mention names or speculate specifically, just basing on what I've seen and heard.

tinfoilzag
11-07-2016, 12:32 PM
From Davis's standpoint, UW looks like it has a lot more minutes available to an incoming freshman.

Zagdawg
11-07-2016, 12:44 PM
UW has 5 incoming players in 2017-- with 1 senior leaving and consensus Fultz leaving after freshman year-- #4 incoming class-- going to have a good bunch of talent.

It sounds like Davis wanted to be a point guard --between Wade, Perkins, NWG (one more year?) -- -- we have a pretty full bus.

Coach Crazy
11-07-2016, 12:56 PM
He went where he felt was best. Such is life. Having said that, I hope that either Zack, Silas (if still around) , or Jeremy shuts him down, next year.

He chose second place. Help him get comfortable there.

Virginia Zags Fan
11-07-2016, 01:20 PM
Like or not ( I don't) there will be spots opening after this season.

Bummer. I don't either unless it is guys going pro due to amazing Zag Season.

jazzdelmar
11-07-2016, 01:23 PM
Bummer. I don't either unless it is guys going pro due to amazing Zag Season.

NWG, JWill and Collins on the precipice I would think....

ZagOD7540
11-07-2016, 01:28 PM
The kid wasn't coming here anyway. Did you see him at Kraziness in the Kennel? Looked like he was sitting in his high school literature class. He just wanted more love and attention from UW. Let Romar have him.

Bogozags
11-07-2016, 01:34 PM

As I suspected...I think he will transfer after his freshman year as NWG and Silas will both be gone leaving senior Perkins, sophomore Zack, junior Alberts and freshman Wade...we reach the EE or FF this season and he will want to be a part of this movement...imo

ZagOD7540
11-07-2016, 01:38 PM
As I suspected...I think he will transfer after his freshman year as NWG and Silas will both be gone leaving senior Perkins, sophomore Zack, junior Alberts and freshman Wade...we reach the EE or FF this season and he will want to be a part of this movement...imo

Silas isn't going anywhere. Alberts will be the first to leave. He just doesn't seem to fit in to the rotation

seacatfan
11-07-2016, 02:10 PM
Silas isn't going anywhere. Alberts will be the first to leave. He just doesn't seem to fit in to the rotation

Alberts already redshirted. Would lose a year of eligibility if he transfers now. Would have to wait until after RS Junior year and do the grad student transfer thing. Unless he goes D2, then I don't think he would have to sit out a year.

Virginia Zags Fan
11-07-2016, 02:44 PM
Agree Jazz. We get to a FF, it will mean one or more things:
1) The team grew enough throughout the season to get into the dance
2) We had enough high level talent
3) The high level talent played at a high enough level to win
4) Coaches made the right calls
5) Some degree of luck

To get to a FF, our studs will have to play like it. Gonzaga would be media darlings and these guys would be household names. So much additional time in front of the scouts at the highest level. I think a FF would launch three and maybe four to the pros including Mt. K.

With Collins, JWIII, and Mt K gone, Ryan Edwards becomes an important piece his senior year.

maynard g krebs
11-07-2016, 02:52 PM
Never gave the Zags much of a chance at Davis, with the Seattle culture. NWG reportedly told to get lost when he showed up at a Seattle pickup game after announcing his transfer. Lots of Zag hate in the Seattle scene, so it would be tough for a kid to face that kind of ostracism w/ his peers. Add that to Romar's track record of getting players like him to the NBA, and it's a good second choice for him, is the timing suggests he flipped to his second choice after Brown chose Oregon.

No big deal. Wish him well.

Bogozags
11-07-2016, 02:52 PM

NWG and Silas graduate after the 2017-18 season or at least their eligibility expires. Perkins and Alberts will be a seniors, Zack Norvell will be a sophomore and Wade will have completed his freshman year...leaving only four guards so there will be room for Davis to get lots of pt for his remaining three years, after the year he sits out.

Coach Crazy
11-07-2016, 05:00 PM
No need to discuss Daejon as a possible transfer.

The Zags recruiting is going to move forward. There is a lot of attention allotted to recruits in '18.

willandi
11-07-2016, 05:13 PM
UW seems like a good place to stash him for a season or two, then, if he isn't NBA ready, he can transfer to a winner!

scott257
11-08-2016, 04:28 AM
Curious though, does anyone think Romar will survive another sub-par year? This seems like a must win season for him, I can't imagine another season being given to him if they don't at least make it into the tournament.

Zagdawg
11-08-2016, 05:30 AM
He bought a reprieve by "hiring" the father of two of his recruits -- Porter --has two sons who will be at the UW --one arrives in 2017 and the next one is a 2018 recruit.

I expect the dub will keep him around as long as he has ties to top incoming recruits.

TheGonzagaFactor
11-08-2016, 05:46 AM
Curious though, does anyone think Romar will survive another sub-par year? This seems like a must win season for him, I can't imagine another season being given to him if they don't at least make it into the tournament.

Nope, he would get another good recruiting class and be off the hook once again.

I think the last few seasons have made it clear that UW does not care in the least about on-court performance. If they did, how would he still be their coach?

MileHigh
11-08-2016, 06:12 AM
Alberts already redshirted. Would lose a year of eligibility if he transfers now. Would have to wait until after RS Junior year and do the grad student transfer thing. Unless he goes D2, then I don't think he would have to sit out a year.

Alberts will have enough credit hours to graduate after this summer and would be able to grad transfer with two years eligibility without sitting out.

Perkins can graduate this summer as well.

That's the advantage of a redshirt year + 4 summer sessions

Coach Crazy
11-08-2016, 06:17 AM
Nope, he would get another good recruiting class and be off the hook once again.

I think the last few seasons have made it clear that UW does not care in the least about on-court performance. If they did, how would he still be their coach?

This.

Zagdawg
11-08-2016, 06:57 AM
Alberts has played overseas each summer for the Dutch national team-- unless he was doing online classes --not sure he was doing summer sessions.

ZagOD7540
11-08-2016, 07:36 AM
Agree Jazz. We get to a FF, it will mean one or more things:
1) The team grew enough throughout the season to get into the dance
2) We had enough high level talent
3) The high level talent played at a high enough level to win
4) Coaches made the right calls
5) Some degree of luck

To get to a FF, our studs will have to play like it. Gonzaga would be media darlings and these guys would be household names. So much additional time in front of the scouts at the highest level. I think a FF would launch three and maybe four to the pros including Mt. K.

With Collins, JWIII, and Mt K gone, Ryan Edwards becomes an important piece his senior year.

I hope you're joking about that last part of the last statement. Are you kidding me???

maynard g krebs
11-08-2016, 08:41 AM

Depends how you define par. Romar is right there with Harshman as the most successful coach in modern Washington history. Russo, Nance, Bender- for a couple of decades UW was pathetic except for the Todd MacCulloch (and Dickau) years.

The huge extension Romar got when his teams did well factors in as well, due to the buyout. I think Zagdawg is exactly right; Romar has the Porter kids' years to do something. And the talent he has coming in is mind boggling considering what they've done the last several years.

gozagswoohoo
11-08-2016, 08:55 AM
Curses to you Daejon! CURSES!!

LongIslandZagFan
11-08-2016, 08:58 AM
I'm content with his decision. Actually respect the fact that he took the time to re-think it.

That being said. Romar has had oodles of talent run through that system... he has produced jack squat with it. A good game coach with that level of talent wins a NC... he can't even win the CIT.

seacatfan
11-08-2016, 10:16 AM
Alberts will have enough credit hours to graduate after this summer and would be able to grad transfer with two years eligibility without sitting out.

Perkins can graduate this summer as well.

That's the advantage of a redshirt year + 4 summer sessions

Huh. I've never heard of a grad transfer student having 2 years of eligibility left. Interesting.

seacatfan
11-08-2016, 10:17 AM
I'm content with his decision. Actually respect the fact that he took the time to re-think it.

That being said. Romar has had oodles of talent run through that system... he has produced jack squat with it. A good game coach with that level of talent wins a NC... he can't even win the CIT.

He did get to the Sweet 16 a couple times early in his UW tenure. Not quite nothing.

Few's buddy Rick Barnes had even more talent at Texas than Romar has had at UW and similarly did very little with it.

Mr Vulture
11-08-2016, 10:29 AM
Is it time to close this thread yet?

ZagOD7540
11-08-2016, 12:17 PM
Is it time to close this thread yet?

Please!!

soccerdud
11-08-2016, 03:13 PM
you know what's easier than locking the thread? stop replying and just let it drop off the front page and into the nether... :p

vandalzag
11-08-2016, 03:33 PM
you know what's easier than locking the thread? stop replying and just let it drop off the front page and into the nether... :p
That is a great idea

TheGonzagaFactor
11-08-2016, 03:58 PM
He did get to the Sweet 16 a couple times early in his UW tenure. Not quite nothing.

Few's buddy Rick Barnes had even more talent at Texas than Romar has had at UW and similarly did very little with it.

Barnes made it to a Final Four and another Elite Eight. If Romar had one of either already, he probably wouldn't be questioned so much around here.

All things considered, I think Daejon made the right decision. He had two open recruiting sessions and picked the same school twice.

He's staying home, playing for a coach that has produced NBA players, and surely thinks he can win while in college. The last two were also true with GU, but it seems staying home was the main difference. Can't blame him for that just like I can't blame Morrison or Heytvelt for staying closer to home.

seacatfan
11-08-2016, 04:11 PM
Barnes made it to a Final Four and another Elite Eight. If Romar had one of either already, he probably wouldn't be questioned so much around here.

I can't get over how little Barnes cashed in on 2 years with Aldridge and 1 year of Durant. Any failures Romar has had thus far pale by comparison.

Changing the topic, but I just thought about Ernie Kent getting to the Elite 8 twice. Not sure that proves he's a good coach, but he did have a couple nice runs in the Tourney. I've seen him compared to Romar as far as rolling out the ball and not being much of an X's and O's guy.

basketballzag
03-25-2017, 02:07 PM
Daejon Davis has received his release from Washington this morning. Hearing credible reports that Gonzaga is the strong leader for his signature.

Jaylen Newell also was released and will likely wind up at Oregon.

Zagdawg
04-01-2017, 10:58 AM
Daejon Davis‏ @DaejonDavis 5m5 minutes ago
12:15 pm ‼️ today

Zagdawg
04-01-2017, 11:23 AM
Daejon Davis‏ @DaejonDavis 8m8 minutes ago
Go Cards #FearTheTree 🌲

MickMick
04-01-2017, 11:30 AM
There wasn't room without causing heart break. Mark Few and staff are busy at the moment, but they probably wouldn't have made a major effort anyway.

The young man will be a centerpiece for Stanford. Not a bad decision.

Hoopaholic
04-01-2017, 12:23 PM
There wasn't room without causing heart break. Mark Few and staff are busy at the moment, but they probably wouldn't have made a major effort anyway.

The young man will be a centerpiece for Stanford. Not a bad decision.

Agree

Good choice for the young man

doctorzag
04-01-2017, 04:34 PM
We need that scholly for a transfer.

doctorzag
04-01-2017, 04:35 PM
Abe. What Happened???

Bogozags
04-02-2017, 07:15 AM
Abe. What Happened???

Doc, seems like I won the bet!

MDABE80
04-02-2017, 09:50 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19054060/espn-100-guard-daejon-davis-announces-commitment-stanford

Move this at will. I'm very disappointed. Dang these confused 17 yr olds!

thespywhozaggedme
04-02-2017, 09:52 AM
I think it was all about playing time for him. Stanford could offer more playing time then we could have. Next.

hondo
04-02-2017, 11:47 AM
And in the deal is included a Stanford education. Not a bad move at all.

thespywhozaggedme
04-02-2017, 12:04 PM

Yup. Can't blame the kid at all. Next up

Mantua
04-02-2017, 12:09 PM
I can understand the choice. Stanford may have the most cozy environment in the PAC 12. I'm sure his parents would like that since he's going to school out of state.

TexasZagFan
04-02-2017, 02:33 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19054060/espn-100-guard-daejon-davis-announces-commitment-stanford

Move this at will. I'm very disappointed. Dang these confused 17 yr olds!

He'll be back as a grad transfer in 3 years, after missing out on the NCAA tournament at Stanford.

TexasZagFan
04-02-2017, 02:35 PM
I think it was all about playing time for him. Stanford could offer more playing time then we could have. Next.

No question we're loaded for the next 2-3 years, I expect we'll be seeing that lovely 8 man rotation of 4 guards and 4 bigs.

webspinnre
04-02-2017, 02:38 PM

Exactly. Hard to turn down Pac-12 basketball + a Stanford education for the student who can qualify academically. Good for him.

TexasZagFan
04-02-2017, 02:41 PM
Exactly. Hard to turn down Pac-12 basketball + a Stanford education for the student who can qualify academically. Good for him.

Agreed, he had to see his playing time would be limited here, ala Zach.