PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see Andy Katz?

BobZag
10-19-2007, 10:05 AM
He's here.

Oregon Zag
10-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Can't wait to hear what he has to say about his visit.

zaguarxj
10-19-2007, 12:57 PM
This is what a google image search came up with. Is this him?

http://thesportshernia.typepad.com/blog/images/2007/06/29/andy_katz_goosed_2.jpg

lothar98zag
10-19-2007, 12:58 PM
a bit constipated, but it's him...

GreenStreetElite
10-19-2007, 01:41 PM
I know he was in Pullman last night at the Cougs practice before he headed to Spokane to watch the Zags. He wrote an insider blog about what he thought of Wazzu, someone posted it on the sportslink on the spokesman review site, if you want to see it go to the cougar stuff from today and go through the comments about half way down the page.

BobZag
10-19-2007, 03:14 PM
He had very good things to say about WSU and finished with this--

To take a cue from my good friend and colleague Pat Forde, if you're ever in Spokane and looking for a place to gather to watch a sporting event and eat, then there is only one recommendation from me: Jack and Dan's. Gonzaga coach Mark Few, assistant Ray Giacoletti and co-owner Jeff Condill -- a former Zag and John Stockton's good friend (the Jack in Jack and Dan's is John's father) -- took in the Red Sox-Indians Game 5 on Thursday night there. Granted, I was the only one truly watching the game since I'm a native Bostonian, still, they were game enough to stay through the entire game. This is a Zag hangout, although Cougs (Washington State) and even Eastern folks (Eastern Washington) are welcome. But J.C. keeps the Zag faithful's attention with a flat-screen constant rollover of the Greatest Zag Moments ever and, of course, the Casey Calvary's offensive tip-in to beat Florida in the Sweet 16 in Phoenix in 1999 is featured. If you ever see the highlight, that's new San Diego head coach Bill Grier with the piggyback tackle to then-head coach Dan Monson.

MickMick
10-19-2007, 05:43 PM
How cool would it be to hang out with Few, Giacoletti, Condil, and Katz? Drinking beer and watching post season baseball. Sounds like a great time to me.

CDC84
10-19-2007, 06:26 PM
It is to my understanding that Katz will have an extensive blog entry about Gonzaga on Monday.

sullyzag66
10-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Will be interested to see if he has changed his perspective on the WSU/GU game this year. In the last paragraph in this article (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=2962865) he wrote:

" It's too bad that Washington State's biggest nonconference game will be against Gonzaga. The Cougars deserved to get a marquee, televised quality game but couldn't land one."

sanfranzagsguy20
10-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Will be interested to see if he has changed his perspective on the WSU/GU game this year. In the last paragraph in this article (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=2962865) he wrote:

" It's too bad that Washington State's biggest nonconference game will be against Gonzaga. The Cougars deserved to get a marquee, televised quality game but couldn't land one."

well technically i agree with him...isnt the game on espn u or something? i know i dont get that channel and i dont think a lot of people do either...imo espn u will probably take away from the atmosphere of that game even if its in the kennel...its second rate there's no way around that and thats the east coast bias alive and well...i would be interested to see what game(s) are on that night on espn and espn2...he's right though they deserved to get a big game but one solid season does not a powerhouse make...if wsu puts together a string of quality seasons then people might take more notice...but honestly i can see how it would be hard to get excited about scheduling wsu...

JLGutrocks
10-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Hopefully that will change. But......Big money says, forcing people to get your channel to see that game is profitable. Guess those not able to go will have a great time at Legends of Fire, or the Swingin doors.

Thanks to CDC ,

Here's a link to all college ball TV.

Watch GU (http://http//mattsarz44017.tripod.com/basketball2007.html)

RenoZag
10-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Charter is adding ESPNU as of 10/31 in this neck of the woods; don't know about their other service zones.

BobZag
10-20-2007, 08:58 AM
well technically i agree with him...isnt the game on espn u or something? i know i dont get that channel and i dont think a lot of people do either...imo espn u will probably take away from the atmosphere of that game even if its in the kennel...its second rate there's no way around that and thats the east coast bias alive and well...i would be interested to see what game(s) are on that night on espn and espn2...he's right though they deserved to get a big game but one solid season does not a powerhouse make...if wsu puts together a string of quality seasons then people might take more notice...but honestly i can see how it would be hard to get excited about scheduling wsu...

This season the Cougs will be fine. The real test will come when Low, Weaver and Cowgill graduate. Low and Weaver are special in Bennett's system, especially Low. He's so smart.

GonzagaGurl08
10-20-2007, 09:15 AM
He had very good things to say about WSU and finished with this--

To take a cue from my good friend and colleague Pat Forde, if you're ever in Spokane and looking for a place to gather to watch a sporting event and eat, then there is only one recommendation from me: Jack and Dan's. Gonzaga coach Mark Few, assistant Ray Giacoletti and co-owner Jeff Condill -- a former Zag and John Stockton's good friend (the Jack in Jack and Dan's is John's father) -- took in the Red Sox-Indians Game 5 on Thursday night there. Granted, I was the only one truly watching the game since I'm a native Bostonian, still, they were game enough to stay through the entire game. This is a Zag hangout, although Cougs (Washington State) and even Eastern folks (Eastern Washington) are welcome. But J.C. keeps the Zag faithful's attention with a flat-screen constant rollover of the Greatest Zag Moments ever and, of course, the Casey Calvary's offensive tip-in to beat Florida in the Sweet 16 in Phoenix in 1999 is featured. If you ever see the highlight, that's new San Diego head coach Bill Grier with the piggyback tackle to then-head coach Dan Monson.

I saw the men at Jack and Dan's. I was there with my parents. It was hard to see who all was there aside from Coach Few.

BoltZag
10-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Don't be so down on ESPNU for carrying this game. Remember, FSN(NW) could have carried it and chose to pass...so ESPNU is better than nothing, which his what we would have been stuck with like Riverside, Northridge, etc...

cbbfanatic
10-20-2007, 10:56 AM
katz has seemed to have been gonzaga's biggest supporter at espn over the last five or so years, always gushing over the program.

is there a connection there or is he just a huge fan? he's a philly guy if i remember correctly... used to see him at random palestra games all the time.

23dpg
10-20-2007, 11:09 AM
No connection at all. He is a St. Joe's guy and got to see a lot of GU during their series a few years ago. They were all great games and I think he just liked what he saw.

brasszag
10-20-2007, 11:16 AM
well technically i agree with him...isnt the game on espn u or something? i know i dont get that channel and i dont think a lot of people do either...

If nobody actually has a channel, does it count as being televised?

:-)

sittingon50
10-20-2007, 11:33 AM
dpg; think you are thinking of Joe Lunardi. Bracketology guy, does the radio for St. Joe's.

Katz went to Wisconsin.

Club Prez
10-20-2007, 07:56 PM
Don't be so down on ESPNU for carrying this game. Remember, FSN(NW) could have carried it and chose to pass...so ESPNU is better than nothing, which his what we would have been stuck with like Riverside, Northridge, etc...

to force Comcast to carry ESPNU on their non-premium sports tier. The majority of Zag fans in Spokane and Seattle will have to find a bar because of this war between ESPN and Comcast.

And Fox Sports Net would love to broadcast this game, but ESPN had first choice - FSN did not pass. :mad:

BoltZag
10-21-2007, 09:18 AM
And Fox Sports Net would love to broadcast this game, but ESPN had first choice - FSN did not pass. :mad:

I don't mean to go all Wikipedia on you, but can you confirm/provide a source for that?

ZagNative
10-21-2007, 09:27 AM
I don't have a source handy but would just say that my understanding of the deal with KHQ/Fox is also that they pick up the games that ESPN doesn't pick up and that they don't have first choice.

BoltZag
10-21-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't have a source handy but would just say that my understanding of the deal with KHQ/Fox is also that they pick up the games that ESPN doesn't pick up and that they don't have first choice.

And it was my understanding that it is exactly the opposite, with regard to home games. At any rate, we can all pretty much agree that the tv coverage this year is quite inferior to recent years past. The Memphis game tipping at 9am PT? Come on now.

ZagNut08
10-21-2007, 07:59 PM
better than 9am eastern like some games in the past have been (illinois)

LongIslandZagFan
10-22-2007, 05:57 AM
And it was my understanding that it is exactly the opposite, with regard to home games. At any rate, we can all pretty much agree that the tv coverage this year is quite inferior to recent years past. The Memphis game tipping at 9am PT? Come on now.

From my recollection, you are both right. Depends on the time of year. There is a weird hierarchy depending on the time of year and etc. But if FSNW had the chance at this game then there would be absolutely no chance that they'd give it up.

Rubbadub
10-22-2007, 06:16 AM
But if FSNW had the chance at this game then there would be absolutely no chance that they'd give it up.

I agree. Whether it's about time periods or not, during that part of the year ESPN has first choice, without a doubt. FSNW wouldn't give up that game.

J-Mac Zag Forever
10-22-2007, 07:15 AM
If the Zags want the Huuuuuge $$$ that ESPN brings to the table and is critical for the success of GU's program we do it their way!

Kiss the ground ESPN walks on. Only several programs enjoy the coverage GU has. If it is important to get the
games, go get dish network they have ESPNU. If we want National coverage there will be some pain.

kdaleb
10-22-2007, 08:23 AM
My recollection is that ESPN gets this game based on their contract with the WCC, so it isn't even GU that's getting the $$$ for this one.

CDC84
10-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Kiss the ground ESPN walks on. Only several programs enjoy the coverage GU has. If it is important to get the
games, go get dish network they have ESPNU. If we want National coverage there will be some pain.

Gonzaga should be kissing the ground that FSN-NW walks on, because a substantial amount of the program's revenue comes from that TV deal. The FSN-NW deal is more important to GU than the WCC's deal with ESPN because ESPN wants Gonzaga games on TV regardless of what conference they belong to. The same thing can't be said for the other WCC teams. I don't want to sound arrogant about it, but it's just the truth. The FSN-NW TV deal provides GU a revenue stream that's huge and allows almost everyone of their games to be on TV....even games like Montana/Gonzaga that ESPN and no other channel would touch. It's the FSN-NW deal that gives Gonzaga "national coverage" of the highest order because they take games that would otherwise not be on TV except locally.

Each time ESPN takes one of Gonzaga's games - especially ones with heavy regional interest like Wazzu/GU - it hurts GU's ability to renew the FSN-NW contract in the future. But Gonzaga can't really do anything about it because the WCC is going to give as many GU games to ESPN as they can so that the league teams gets as many games as possible on the ESPN channels....including WCC games that don't involve Gonzaga.

I'm not griping about it...it's just the way the world works...but trust me, it's to Gonzaga's benefit for the GU/Wazzu game to be on FSN-NW. If the GU/Wazzu game were on FSN-NW and FCS (cable), it would be seen in more homes than it will be on ESPNU. FSN-NW wants that game.....badly. Their ability to not get it hurts Gonzaga. And the only reason ESPN is putting the game on ESPNU to begin with is so that locals will complain to Comcast about ESPNU not being on cable. It will be interesting to see if enough complaints come thru so that Comcast is forced to add the channel. I'm skeptical, but we'll see.