PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Couple of Things to Say

Bowser
03-31-2017, 10:56 PM
1. I never thought Gonzaga would have a team in the Final Four.

2. I love you maroons even though I have never met most of you in person and many of you need your asses kicked.

3. A shout out to the people who have kept the many iterations of the Zag boards going over the years and that Russell guy for the wine tips.

4. A shout out and game dedication to that fictional character, Jane Austen, the apple orchard trollop, who many of us love. Fictionally.

5. I did not post much this year. Not only did I have nothing to say, I was afraid that if I posted while the guys were undefeated, I would jinx them. Just like the haiku poets in the old days. [I'm lookin' at you Sili]

6. I no longer get much satisfaction from the SnapCo stuff. However, with all of the "onions" talk earlier by Birddog, I am partially inspired.

7. Proud of the team and the staff. I have been impressed by their comportment in contrast to other coaches and players who whine and cry and remonstrate about every call against them.

8. As you would expect, I get up for important events in odd ways. Tonight I am listening to the Theme from the Man of La Mancha, [also known as the Impossible Dream song], over and over and over again. Mrs. B is ready to kill me and spent 40 plus minutes looking for the headphones I'd hidden. I can't sing with headphones on.

Here's the lyrics:

To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go

To right the unrightable wrong
To love pure and chaste from afar
To try when your arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable star

This is my quest to follow that star
No matter how hopeless, no matter how far
To fight for the right without question or pause
To be willing to march into Hell for a heavenly cause

And I know if I'll only be true to this glorious quest
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm when I'm laid to my rest
And the world will be better for this
That one man, scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable star

But its the music that makes it great. Here's the Andy Williams version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaN8jxAFtDY

The Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley and Jim Nabors covers are pretty nifty too.

I had a vague memory that I had included Impossible Dream in a post a long time ago. It was 2007 according to the archives here. God, we've been doing this for a long time. At that time, the lyric "to run where the brave dare not go" and "march into hell for a heavenly cause" seemed to fit. But today, after all the naysayers and other bull####, my mind grabs "scorned and covered with scars, still strove with his last ounce of courage to reach the unreachable star." We have borne enough unbearable sorrow. It's time to right the unrightable wrong. Win.

Your Pal,

Bowser

upan8th
03-31-2017, 11:33 PM
I believe, Bowser, that you may have nominated yourself for the Board's HOF with this post. Scholar, poet, seer, and unapologetic romanticist that you are, I hereby submit your name for inclusion. I promise we will not hold The Man of La Mancha against you.

TheZagPhish
03-31-2017, 11:40 PM
Scholar, poet, seer, and unapologetic romanticist that you are...

Especially the "many of you need your asses kicked" part. (Dabs tears from eyes)

Zags11
04-01-2017, 12:01 AM
Who the hell needs their ass kicked?

Lol.

Great post! Go zags!

Birddog
04-01-2017, 04:30 AM
Paraphrasing Ron White: You just can't fix Bowser!......................... Who would want to?
Go Zags

Zagcity
04-01-2017, 06:18 AM
For those who want a little more current version there's one with Luther Vandross:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGsYrpejAYw

GoZags
04-01-2017, 06:29 AM
Bowser for threeeee !!!!

Nothing but twine.

Zaga
04-01-2017, 07:18 AM
Paraphrasing Ron White: You just can't fix Bowser!......................... Who would want to?
Go Zags

Good one.....

Zaga
04-01-2017, 07:22 AM
Who the hell needs their ass kicked?

All of the free speech naysayers........

and Bill Walton!

tummydoc
04-01-2017, 07:26 AM
Last 3 lines sum up Shem's past year

Go Zags

Reborn
04-01-2017, 07:29 AM
Thanks, Bowser. Great words to fill my spirit on this greatest day of this year so far. That song pretty much sums up the journey to the Final Four form '99 to TODAY.

Go Zags!!!

zag67
04-01-2017, 07:49 AM
I also want to thank you. Great comments and I also did not think I would live to see us in the final four. Great job coaches, trainers, players and also the previous zags that got us here

zag buddy
04-01-2017, 10:23 AM
I prefer Jack Jones version.